Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

Urban is showing a level of cockiness and disregard for history that I'm not sure I would have wanted to see at Texas - although he is certainly proven at the college ranks.

This has all of the makings to end very very poorly. The NFL will smack your ass quickly if you let it. 

• Like 1

Thought Baalke and Harbaugh were at odds in SF. 

Then again Harbaugh seems to piss off everybody by Year 5. 

Urban needs to get as many NFL guys on staff as possible. Jax has more capital than anyone for building a team. Its really going to come down to drafting well [Trevor Lawrence better be as advertised] 

On 1/20/2021 at 4:18 PM, Augustus said:

So, combining these predictions with Shaggy/Surly's hit rate when comes to prognostication...

You guys realize you've all but guaranteed a Super Bowl win for the Jags by 2022?

I'm comfortable with both my hit rate and the shot that I've called here. This isn't Texas football where my judgement is clouded in a mist of perpetual koolaid. 

Think of it statistically. Take the % chance that Urban kills it as a HC in the NFL with zero NFL experience (this feels like 50/50 to me right off the bat). Multiply that by the % chance that he kills it as a GM. Multiply that by the % chance that TL winds up being a franchise cornerstone QB. Then multiply that by the % chance that this staff as assembled ends up being a top 10 staff in the NFL. As a baseline all of those things will need to be true for them to win a SB anytime soon. (this is without accounting for factors like his health or the fact that it's the fucking Jaguars) 

There is so much that can go wrong here and so much that very important people involved in the equation have never proven. 

Maybe I'm wrong and he's the next Pete Carroll, but that would surprise me.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 1/21/2021 at 8:18 PM, ztejas said:

I'm comfortable with both my hit rate and the shot that I've called here. This isn't Texas football where my judgement is clouded in a mist of perpetual koolaid. 

Think of it statistically. Take the % chance that Urban kills it as a HC in the NFL with zero NFL experience (this feels like 50/50 to me right off the bat). Multiply that by the % chance that he kills it as a GM. Multiply that by the % chance that TL winds up being a franchise cornerstone QB. Then multiply that by the % chance that this staff as assembled ends up being a top 10 staff in the NFL. As a baseline all of those things will need to be true for them to win a SB anytime soon. (this is without accounting for factors like his health or the fact that it's the fucking Jaguars) 

There is so much that can go wrong here and so much that very important people involved in the equation have never proven. 

Maybe I'm wrong and he's the next Pete Carroll, but that would surprise me.

Perfectly reasonable take, and your skepticism is justified, and not just for the reasons you mentioned, but for an even bigger reason:

The vast majority of NFL coaches fail, regardless of where they come from.  

I, however, like Urban's chances in the NFL, compared to most coaches, and especially compared to those who make the jump from college, because Urban's gift is managing the psyche of his coaching staff and players in a way that few can.  He gets the most out of everyone around him, and he's done it everywhere he's been. 

Coaches who can mold and manage the mentality of the group like that are rare, and include some of the most accomplished guys in the history of sports.  Guys like Wooden, Saban and Phil Jackson--although Urban's never been in one place long enough to build a legacy close to theirs. 

I'm hesitant to put Jimmy Johnson in there, although there's no question that he was a great motivator and was able to manage egos of many of the most talented players in the game at Miami and Dallas.  I just never got the impression he was the Zen master those other guys are.  I think Jimmy's closer to Pete Carroll than the Mount Rushmore guys I mentioned.

I could be dead wrong, and I'll tip my cap to you if so, but I believe that if he gets a sufficiently talented roster together in Jacksonville, they'll do what Urban's teams have done at all his previous stops.  At the very least, it'll be interesting to watch.

Edited by Augustus

What does Meyer’s NFL decision say about UT?

Dallas Morning News

By Tim Cowlishaw

DALLAS — Urban Meyer is busy building a coaching staff. The University of Texas is doing likewise.

Why they aren't doing it for the same team makes for an interesting debate on the relative value of the best coaching jobs in the country.

Meyer, of course, could have had the Texas job had he wanted it. The Longhorns would have granted him anything to make it happen.

Instead, he chose Door No. 2 — the Jacksonville Jaguars.   

And while Texas fans are happy in the early days of the Steve Sarkisian Era, it has to sting just a bit, doesn’t it? You turned our money down? For the Jaguars?

While Texas has had its own issues of late, Jacksonville has never reached the Super Bowl in its quarter century of football. It’s so wildly popular in Florida that it farms a home game out to London basically every year.

It has none of the stadium revenue and extra trappings that give bigger-market teams — which is nearly everyone — advantages when it comes to manipulating the league’s salary cap and revenue sharing.

The Jaguars do have some short-term advantages in terms of lots of money to spend this offseason and the ability to draft Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence with the first pick.

He seems about as much a slam dunk as any quarterback coming into the league since, well, Andrew Luck. Maybe even a better dunk, now that we ponder Luck’s career.

Lawrence had better be good, competing in the conference that has Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Baker Mayfield, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert and Tua Tagovailoa, all 25 or under.

The problem with debating whether Jacksonville is really a better job than UT is that Meyer is not an “everyman” type of coach.

Having succeeded at Utah and won national titles at Florida and Ohio State, his college résumé was as complete as one can get. And his Ohio State background may have prompted him to view the Buckeyes as his ultimate coaching stop along that route.

The NFL represents a new challenge. Boy, does it represent a new challenge. Just ask Nick Saban or Steve Spurrier or Chip Kelly or Bobby Petrino or Lou Holtz.

You have the success stories, too — Jimmy Johnson and Jim Harbaugh are at the top of that chart — but the best college coaches are not accustomed to dealing with equal talent levels. Their recruiting skills allow them to play (depending on the school) six, seven, maybe eight college games a year where they just are not going to lose.

The draft, the salary cap and the NFL’s relatively small number of teams — 32 compared with 65 Power Five schools this season — may not create the parity that commissioner Pete Rozelle envisioned, but it’s much closer to a level playing field than Alabama and Vanderbilt will ever inhabit.

So Meyer has reasons to try the NFL as his final coaching experience, maybe even to succeed at the one thing that Saban pulled the plug on after two seasons in Miami.

But does that make Jacksonville a better job than one of the top college gigs in the land? Many of you say yes. I would say hell no.

Put it this way. Saban wouldn’t leave Alabama for it. Brian Kelly wouldn’t leave Notre Dame for it.

Lincoln Riley wouldn’t leave Oklahoma for it. Heck, Riley wouldn’t leave the Sooners for the Cowboys.

When you get one of the elite college jobs and you have mastered it to the degree that you’re winning league titles on a semiregular basis, your salary is already close to the top of the NFL scale. Why leave those jobs for a roll of the dice simply because some see it as “the highest level?”

Of the seven NFL jobs that were open this offseason, four of the deposed head coaches lasted four years or fewer. Doug Pederson lasted five, and that was while winning a Super Bowl in Year 2.

That’s not to say Meyer has to worry about an early firing. Jacksonville will be thrilled to have him ... at least for a while.

It’s the false perception that any NFL job is better than a top college job that I find to be silly. It’s not better in terms of job security, it’s not better financially and it’s not necessarily great for your brand, either.

Quick, name the three Jacksonville coaches who preceded Meyer. I’ll supply the answer in a moment.

But the other argument to be considered is how long Texas automatically remains an elite job.

We think of it as such here while recognizing one national championship in 50 years is not exactly special. A 7-3 record in a pandemic-shortened season marked the first time Texas hasn’t lost four games since 2009. And the feeling that boosters have too much control may have even had Meyer looking away from Austin as any kind of answer.

For the next couple of years, it’s up to Sarkisian to bring a little of that Alabama magic to the Forty Acres and show Meyer all that he missed.

That’s while Meyer is making people forget Doug Marrone, Gus Bradley and Mike Mularkey were ever there.

Edited by Cairn Horn88

"wHaT dOeS mEyeRr’S NfL DeCiSiOn SaY aBoUt UT?"

It says that Tim Cowlishaw is, always was, and always will be a fucking moron and a greasy stain on a profession that already employs a record number of complete failures who couldn't hack it virtually any other industry. 

Edited by campcrunk
Typo. I would be a bad "journalist" too. Just not as bad as Cowlishaw.
  • Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

And while Texas fans are happy in the early days of the Steve Sarkisian Era, it has to sting just a bit, doesn’t it?

The Charlie Strong hire was a salve for whatever sting any Texas fan may have felt.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/25/2021 at 8:54 PM, campcrunk said:

"wHaT dOeS mEyeRr’S NfL DeCiSiOn SaY aBoUt UT?"

It says that Tim Cowlishaw is, always was, and always will be a fucking moron and a greasy stain on a profession that already employs a record number of complete failures who couldn't hack it virtually any other industry. 

I can't find a whole lot wrong with Cowlishaw's column.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

So nobody was willing to give him play calling duties in college... Essentially he had to admit that all schools only viewed that his value in dropping bags and coaching DL and so why put up with recruiting and instead go chill with Urban

On 1/19/2021 at 9:37 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

I gotta eat my crow, I shit all over Chip Brown for reporting that Urban Meyer was talking to Jimmy Johnson about becoming an NFL coach. That apparently actually happened. I was totally wrong about it. Which..... OK. 

I still think, though, that Fuck Chip Brown.

Yea jimmy confirmed it on DP show on Friday.  Said urban did consider us but wanted a new challenge.  Also said we reached out to him when he was at Miami 

12 hours ago, Voluminous Banality said:

Get out of here with the, "I'm more reasonable and objective than you," defense of that hack piece. What's wrong with the article? Start with the headline. Does Meyer trying his hand at the NFL imply that there is something terribly wrong at Texas? Is there something wrong at all of the other college programs he could be coaching at if he had chosen to?

Then there's the "You turn down our money for the Jaguars???" red herring, as if he took the Jaguars' job pro bono out of the altruistic abundance of his precious little heart. I don't think Meyer's contract numbers have or will be disclosed, but reports were he wanted the same $12 million that was floated for the job at Texas.

Then there is the other nonsensical scat dropped in liberally throughout like Urban choosing the Jags is the same as Saban leaving Alabama or coaching in the NFL is a no-win prospect because who can name the last three coaches of the Jaguars? I mean, really? If Urban succeeds in Jacksonville, will he suddenly be forgotten like every NFL head coaching failure?

Lastly, he just couldn't resist dropping in the long-debunked and oft-repeated false premise that Texas is a uniquely miserable place to coach because there is just too damn much interference from the boosters, unlike every other college program where the head coach isn't accountable to a president and a board and doesn't answer to anyone for how millions of dollars are spent. What a load of crap.

I think you're looking for reasons to get upset if that column irks you. First off, columnists/writers don't write the headlines. Seemed to me that Cowlishaw is pointing out that the best college jobs represent better security -- and pay almost as much -- as NFL gigs. I think he's subtly pointing out that Urban might've made the wrong choice unless this is simply a situation where he wants to see if he can win a Super Bowl, something Saban will likely never have. Cowlishaw has one line where he wonders how long Texas stays an elite job if we keep along the same track we've been on since 2010.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I think you're looking for reasons to get upset if that column irks you. First off, columnists/writers don't write the headlines. Seemed to me that Cowlishaw is pointing out that the best college jobs represent better security -- and pay almost as much -- as NFL gigs. I think he's subtly pointing out that Urban might've made the wrong choice unless this is simply a situation where he wants to see if he can win a Super Bowl, something Saban will likely never have. Cowlishaw has one line where he wonders how long Texas stays an elite job if we keep along the same track we've been on since 2010.

You make a fair observation that there were a couple of decent points mixed in with the other pot-stirring crap which comprised the bulk of that article.