Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

On 1/25/2021 at 9:17 PM, CurlyDumps said:

The Charlie Strong hire was a salve for whatever sting any Texas fan may have felt.

Report: Michigan assistant interviewing with Urban Meyer

By Doug Samuels -  February 1, 2021

"According to a report from Jason La Canfora, Michigan linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary is interviewing for the linebackers job on the Jaguars staff. For what it’s worth, Jean-Mary is a native of Apopka, Florida." 

https://footballscoop.com/news/report-michigan-assistant-interviewing-with-urban-meyer/

Edited by LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

"According to a report from Jason La Canfora, Michigan linebackers coach Brian Jean-Mary is interviewing for the linebackers job on the Jaguars staff. For what it’s worth, Jean-Mary is a native of Apopka, Florida." 

https://footballscoop.com/news/report-michigan-assistant-interviewing-with-urban-meyer/

39120CB9-142B-4AFE-8132-1F2F107A1E04.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yes, I too would really want an OC who ran the ball too much for years and then put together a passing attack that was figured out in about 5 weeks with absolutely no adjustments the rest of the season as my passing game coordinator. 

Eh. He's qualified and on the right side of 50. He could benefit from a reduced role. It's not the worst hire Urban has made. 

It did fall apart for them towards the end there but they still set a franchise record for points scored. 

28 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Eh. He's qualified and on the right side of 50. He could benefit from a reduced role. It's not the worst hire Urban has made. 

It did fall apart for them towards the end there but they still set a franchise record for points scored. 

He's not walking into a roster with Russell Wilson on it though. 

Boy, I think we dodged a bullet.  This reads like Urban's pre-(real) retirement gig.  Find some meh hires, hire some buddies, make sweet cash for 3 years and, in the end, it still won't hurt his CFB legacy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He's not walking into a roster with Russell Wilson on it though. 

TL will either be the real deal or he won't - and a lot of these guys' success will hinge on it. 

Schottenheimer has been around the block quite a bit for a guy his age and had varying levels of success. I was probably anchored in my initial assessment based on the other hires. He concerns me very little compared to Strong or the tOSU lackey or the front office guy they hired. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Someone school me on what a passing game coordinator does and how this differs from the offensive coordinator? Is there also a running game coordinator?

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2021/2/1/22261614/report-jaguars-hire-brian-schottenheimer-passing-game-coordinator-seahawks#:~:text=Typically%2C a passing-game coordinator,pice to the offenses' success.

Typically, a passing-game coordinator focuses on redzone, third downs and other passing-down situations. It is not yet known which of the two will be calling the plays, though it is likely Bevell to take those duties with Schottenheimer serving as a supplemental pice to the offenses’ success.

Meyer has stated already that he will not be calling the plays for the Jaguars, allowing the team’s collective coaches to handle such responsibilities.

“I’m not going to be the play caller,” Meyer said at his introductory press conference earlier this month.

“I’ve been very active in playcalling throughout my career on offense and kicking game. On defense, I’m not. I’m going to hire the best defensive coaches. I think something I’ve done halfway decent is I know what it’s supposed to look like and feel like and the fundamentals, but schematically the NFL is different. The one thing about offensive football is you find weaknesses.”

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Someone school me on what a passing game coordinator does and how this differs from the offensive coordinator? Is there also a running game coordinator?

Yes, we actually have one.  That's Stan Drayton's title. 

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Could be a good hire.  BJM is familiar with recruiting in Florida.  Kids relate to him as well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

He couldn't see himself recruiting against his beloved buckeyes.....for $12 million/year and an argument for greatest all time. I mean....wut 

He’s getting $12 Million a year now, isn’t he?

It’s not just about recruiting against tOSU. It could be about playing them. And maybe beating them. He’s Buckeye royalty. He’s on Mt. Rushmore alongside Paul Brown, Woody Hayes, and Jim Tressel. He’s the only Buckeye coach to finish with an undefeated record against that team up north. That’s HUGE. For Urban, coaching the Buckeyes was the pinnacle of college coaching and he established a legacy that’s unmatched in the history of the rivalry.

Back during the season, when there was speculation about whether or not Urban would go back to coaching, some in the Columbus sports media were suggesting that Urban wouldn’t want to coach in college because it could take away from his legacy at tOSU. I think they were probably right. And like he said in that interview, he never came close to taking another college job. Win or lose in the NFL, it won’t affect his standing at the school he grew up rooting for and where he got his coaching start. 

Siap

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/.amp/news/urban-meyer-on-his-year-long-study-that-led-to-taking-the-jaguars-job

So, Meyer thought about what he wanted to do. Or more so, what he didn’t want to do; namely, recruit in college football.

“I started thinking about transfer portal, I started thinking about opting out, I started thinking about all the things that are going on. And I'm not being critical of it but it's just reality that recruiting has become, I mean it's 24/7 now.

“When I first started coaching, recruiting was something you did the player’s senior year and December after they're done playing. Then you bring them in on visits, and then you recruit them in December, in January and they sign. And now it's their sophomore year. Freshman year, now they're taking official visits in the spring. Now players are—I mean it's every weekend.

“You don't get a chance to be around your team near as much and certainly don't get much time for anything else, if you recruit at the level that Ohio State and Florida set to recruit and I understand coming in the transfer portal has become basically free agency.”

Meyer’s last recruiting class—the 2018 Ohio State recruiting class—was first in the Big Ten and second in the nation. He had proven himself capable. But Meyer, who retired from Florida and then Ohio State citing health and family reasons, didn’t have it within him to fight that battle any longer, especially at a level that asks for everything from a coach and even then it’s not enough.

24 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Winning is hard. Right?

Gee, wonder where Herman got that phrase. Look, I wish Urban the best at Jacksonville. But because he ain't the head coach at Texas, I hope he fucks around and finds out just how hard winning is in the league. I predict three mediocre seasons with the Jags before the next flame out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 10:10 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think Texas dodged a bullet in the long run.  It just remains to be seen whether or not we stepped right into the path of another one.

Definitely dodged a bullet here. UM would have been an overpaid half ass coach here. He has a history of suspect coaching hires too. 

I have no doubt that Sark is motivated to fully redeem himself, and Texas will benefit from his drive to get himself back to the top. 

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Definitely dodged a bullet here. UM would have been an overpaid half ass coach here. He has a history of suspect coaching hires too. 

I have no doubt that Sark is motivated to fully redeem himself, and Texas will benefit from his drive to get himself back to the top. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2021/02/11/urban-meyer-jaguars-character-con-hire-chris-doyle-iowa/6726200002/

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Opinion: Urban Meyer's 'character and leadership' con continues as Jags hire ex-Iowa strength coach Chris Doyle

Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/dan-wolken/2021/02/11/urban-meyer-jaguars-character-con-hire-chris-doyle-iowa/6726200002/

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Opinion: Urban Meyer's 'character and leadership' con continues as Jags hire ex-Iowa strength coach Chris Doyle

yeah, it would seem Urban was just another in a list of names that BMDs got all hot and hard for. The fans latched into it not because they necessarily give a shit about Urban who is a total a-moral dick face, rather they were exhausted from being mediocre. Looking back, the situation was frightfully similar in ways to the Herman hire. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Was UM formally offered the UT job? or, did he simply end the negotiations? or did CDC realize that UM's expectations were ridiculous and at some point realize that Sark was a better fit in almost every way, plus, hiring him would keep Alabama from a seamless transition two years from now - and it was CDC who said, thanks, but no thanks. Then he simply let Meyer spin it any way he pleased? I'm convinced at this point we got the best coach in the country, other than Saban, say, and hell, I'd rather have Sark and his offense and the fact he could coach here for the next fifteen years before he even thinks about retiring.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/2/2021 at 11:16 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

He’s getting $12 Million a year now, isn’t he?

It’s not just about recruiting against tOSU. It could be about playing them. And maybe beating them. He’s Buckeye royalty. He’s on Mt. Rushmore alongside Paul Brown, Woody Hayes, and Jim Tressel. He’s the only Buckeye coach to finish with an undefeated record against that team up north. That’s HUGE. For Urban, coaching the Buckeyes was the pinnacle of college coaching and he established a legacy that’s unmatched in the history of the rivalry.

Back during the season, when there was speculation about whether or not Urban would go back to coaching, some in the Columbus sports media were suggesting that Urban wouldn’t want to coach in college because it could take away from his legacy at tOSU. I think they were probably right. And like he said in that interview, he never came close to taking another college job. Win or lose in the NFL, it won’t affect his standing at the school he grew up rooting for and where he got his coaching start. 

I’m not following your logic completely here but I’ll try really really hard. Meyer put in all that work to win a ton of football games, couple of titles, went through all that scandal so he could be on the Mt. Rushmore of ohio state coaches? His desire to be great ended by being undefeated against some of the more terrible performing Michigan teams and the thought of having to beat ohio state in a playoff game was to much to bear. That doesn’t jive with the maniacal psycho hell bent on winning at whatever cost. If dabo wins a few more titles while saban racks up a couple more nobody will even remember Meyer in 10 years. I don’t understand man, sorry. If he accepted and wins a title at Texas then he’s on THE mt Rushmore of all of college football.