Urban Meyer to Jacksonville Jaguars

Vic Mackey

Yes he will urban will give him a 1 year 2 million dollar deal or some shit just as a pay day for making him so much money in college. It’s how it works. 
That is the exact opposite of how it works in the NFL when you aren't an owner. It's a 53 man roster. Not 85 plus walk ons.
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2021 at 11:17 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Whew! You dodged a bullet. You never wanted those grapes anyway. Lulz. 

On one hand, sure. He's one of the greatest college football coaches ever. As starved as we are around here for another championship or at the least, competent football, Urban is as close to a sure thing as there is. When he didn't take this job, it was a disappointment.

But that doesn't mean that we can't critically look at what he's done in Jax so far and say WTF? Outside of drafting Lawrence, which is the biggest no brainer ever, has he done anything that makes you think he's got a grip on this job? So far, he's hired Charlie Strong and Chris Ash along with a bunch of NFL retreads, got told that he couldn't hire his chosen oline coach because he's a racist, blew a first round pick on a running back (who they are working out as a receiver) when they had much bigger needs, made some other questionable picks, and now he's climbing aboard the Tim Tebow express side show. It's not just this place who thinks Urban is fucking this up. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I have no idea if Tebow will play. But you can bet your ass ticket sales went up. 

Character guy, hard worker, good for the locker room. He'll just figure out a way to help the squad, whether that's thru special teams, scout teams, or emergency circumcisions. All praise Tebow.

54 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

On one hand, sure. He's one of the greatest college football coaches ever. As starved as we are around here for another championship or at the least, competent football, Urban is as close to a sure thing as there is. When he didn't take this job, it was a disappointment.

But that doesn't mean that we can't critically look at what he's done in Jax so far and say WTF? Outside of drafting Lawrence, which is the biggest no brainer ever, has he done anything that makes you think he's got a grip on this job? So far, he's hired Charlie Strong and Chris Ash along with a bunch of NFL retreads, got told that he couldn't hire his chosen oline coach because he's a racist, blew a first round pick on a running back (who they are working out as a receiver) when they had much bigger needs, made some other questionable picks, and now he's climbing aboard the Tim Tebow express side show. It's not just this place who thinks Urban is fucking this up. 

I don’t know and I’m not too uptight about it. I still think his number one reason for taking the job is money, and the number two reason is probably ego. And he’ll still be lionized in his home state as the only OSU coach ever to go undefeated against their rival up north.

I don’t know how it’s going to work installing his culture in the NFL. But I’ll be watching. The Tebow thing is weird because I think he probably thinks that will be a good influence in the locker room, maybe. I would think that wouldn’t go over well with NFL players because that means he’s taking a job from someone else. But it’s only May so let’s see how everything plays out. I’ll wait and judge when games are actually being played. A lot can change between now and then. And I don’t know that Trevor Lawrence is a sure-fire Hall of Famer. Again, let’s wait and see.

I don’t know how hands-on Urban is going to be or how much he’s going to be a CEO. I do know that he won championships with both Charlie Strong and Chris Ash before. Just because they didn’t have success at Texas when they weren’t working for Urban doesn’t necessarily make them bad coaches.

I do expect that at some point Urban will blow up at a member of the media who says something critical about his team. That’s sort of his thing.

But again, he could go winless in two years and still walk away with $24 Million and still go home again. That’s good work if you can get it.

I've really never understood the fascination with Tebow. I've often opined that he is probably the most overrated athlete in recent memory. That doesn't mean that he was not a good college QB; it means that he wasn't nearly as good as he was generally perceived to be. (I know this seems obvious, but you'd be surprised by the arguments people make.) All the "greatest player in college football history" nonsense was generally accepted for a while (it seems like it has finally waned a bit). He was probably the third-best college QB of his decade (VY, Leinart). People still give him credit for winning 2 national titles despite the fact that he wasn't even the starting QB on one of those teams. I still remember Danielson or someone calling him "the best running QB we've seen" - less than 2 years after VY left Texas. It was all so contrived and it snowballed into absurdity. I guess his career sort of coincided with the emergence of social media and smartphones, so that was probably part of it. 

He was a slightly better Sam Ehlinger with superior coaching and talent around him. That's not a knock - Sam was a good college QB, and Tebow was really good. But neither should ever be in the conversation of "best ever."

Anyway, I don't know how Meyer would have fared at Texas; I imagine he'd have probably done well. I'm skeptical about his NFL potential and he seems to be making some bizarre decisions, like this publicity stunt (I don't hate Tebow, but the dude hasn't played football in years and has never played TE - what can he offer that a number of college FAs couldn't?). My guess is that he won't coach in the NFL for very long, maybe about 3 years. 

• Hook 'Em 7

The Tebow thing is simple.  On top of smart phones and social media (which is a good point) ESPN signed a 15 year contract with the SEC in August 2008.  The QB on the best SEC team at the time....Tim Tebow.

Yeah, that makes sense. That was about the time that the idea that the SEC plays a "different level of football" became the sport's prevalent narrative. It's easy to forget that that wasn't a thing until the last decade or so. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

Urby coulda gotten Texas into the playoffs a few times.  I don't know if he was real serious about taking the job though.  Mighta done it just to mess with Herman.  (He's kinda petty that way.)

His pro career is gonna be about like Spurrier's.  He did it because of his ego.

55 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I've really never understood the fascination with Tebow. I've often opined that he is probably the most overrated athlete in recent memory. That doesn't mean that he was not a good college QB; it means that he wasn't nearly as good as he was generally perceived to be. (I know this seems obvious, but you'd be surprised by the arguments people make.) All the "greatest player in college football history" nonsense was generally accepted for a while (it seems like it has finally waned a bit). He was probably the third-best college QB of his decade (VY, Leinart).

As with any live sports, the goal is to sell ads.  And you set ad rates as a function of viewer numbers.  Producing a weekly Tebow special interest piece is considerably easier (and more profitable) than rotating through the other members of the Gators (Hernandez, Pouncey brothers, etc.).

Tebow is a very good athlete and he is extremely competitive.  My guess is that he will not make the 53 man roster, but will sell a few jerseys  and put about 1500-2000 more butts in preseason seats and the proceeds go directly to the Jags ownership.  He'll provide the networks with a weekly pregame human interest story and will attract more TV eyeballs.

For reference, the offensive contributors on the 2008 UF National Championship team included the following NFL-bound players:

• WR Percy Harvin, Riley Cooper, Louis Murphy
  • TE Aaron Hernandez
  • OL Phil Trautwein, Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Pouncey, Mo Hurt, Marcus Gilbert
  • RB Jeff Demps, Chris Rainey

That's quite a talented set of offensive players.  Tebow had a lot of help.

For reference, the defense included future NFLers Joe Haden, Janoris Jenkins, Brandon Spikes, Major Wright,  Carlos Dunlap, Ahmad Black, and Jermaine Cunningham.

The team was loaded.

48 minutes ago, WBT said:

I never wanted Urban here but didn't post about it much because the groupthink was in such overdrive.  It's looking like we dodged a bullet though.

His college coaching resume is only bested by Nick Saban in the modern era of college football. There is no group think, it’s fact based agreement. Arguing otherwise is stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

He was a slightly better Sam Ehlinger with superior coaching and talent around him.

Right there with you but immediately and always thought that Ehlinger had a much improved QB skill set vs. Tebow. Better release, more accurate arm.

Tebow is probably the better TE prospect tho

On 5/16/2021 at 10:50 AM, Surly Bevo said:

The Tebow thing is simple.  On top of smart phones and social media (which is a good point) ESPN signed a 15 year contract with the SEC in August 2008.  The QB on the best SEC team at the time....Tim Tebow.  

Say friend, you think that may be why in 2008 the gators, despite having EASILY the worst loss of the 3 one loss teams, was the only one unquestionably in the bcs title game?  While everyone argued about Texas or ou?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/16/2021 at 12:04 PM, WBT said:

I never wanted Urban here but didn't post about it much because the groupthink was in such overdrive.  It's looking like we dodged a bullet though.

Ha, wtf? 

1) There was no "groupthink" regarding bringing Meyer in. Plenty were happy to hold their noses and cheer him on at Texas as he trended us towards title contending. The premise as to why were willing to have him at Texas is wholly based on his resume, which is inarguable at the college level.

2) Nothing that has happened with Jax and Meyer is relevant to what would have happened at Texas.

On 5/16/2021 at 12:54 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

His college coaching resume is only bested by Nick Saban in the modern era of college football. There is no group think, it’s fact based agreement. Arguing otherwise is stupid. 

This.

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Challenge? Dude gets just about everything handed to him from his stint in baseball to this opportunity. Fuck him for taking a roster spot that could have gone to someone else.

Exactly. The Tebow story is nauseating. A below average QB who was carried by all that talent they had at Florida but the SEC had that big contract with ESPN and Florida was at the top of college football for those years so he got shoved down our throats every weekend. I don't even think he is as good as Sam was here at Texas. But the talent he had at Florida was amazing.

Sure, he won a playoff game but was exposed the next week when NE was leading like 49-0 at halftime. And ever since that game, his career was pretty much done. Even after playoff win, Elway and the front office knew he was not even close to a long term answer. Denver had a great defense and allowed Tebow to win games with throwing for like 40yds and completing a few passes. They then got Peyton Manning and never looked back. Not sure where Tebow went after that but he fizzled out quick. 

But people really think he is some prophet and can make any locker room better just with his presence lmao. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. The Tebow story is nauseating. A below average QB who was carried by all that talent they had at Florida but the SEC had that big contract with ESPN and Florida was at the top of college football for those years so he got shoved down our throats every weekend. I don't even think he is as good as Sam was here at Texas. But the talent he had at Florida was amazing.

Sure, he won a playoff game but was exposed the next week when NE was leading like 49-0 at halftime. And ever since that game, his career was pretty much done. Even after playoff win, Elway and the front office knew he was not even close to a long term answer. Denver had a great defense and allowed Tebow to win games with throwing for like 40yds and completing a few passes. They then got Peyton Manning and never looked back. Not sure where Tebow went after that but he fizzled out quick. 

But people really think he is some prophet and can make any locker room better just with his presence lmao. 

Tim couldn't win the locker room when he was peers with the players.  Now he's a washed up old man.  Nobody cares about him.  

59 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Tim couldn't win the locker room when he was peers with the players.  Now he's a washed up old man.  Nobody cares about him.  

I wish I could agree, but despite his complete suckage as a football player, he has  a huge following of jesus freaks that adore his dumbass. Plus he's from Jax. Even if he never makes the final roster, they will generate  a shitload of jersey sales, interest , etc.... It makes a ton of sense to me, and I cant stand the dumbfuck. Will he make them more money, attract viewers? thats the end game.

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Challenge? Dude gets just about everything handed to him from his stint in baseball to this opportunity. Fuck him for taking a roster spot that could have gone to someone else.

cry more

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Tim-Tebow-in-uniform-with-trophy.jpg?x89

image.jpg?w=400&c=1