87th Texas Legislature

StassneyHorn

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Voters: We would like reasonable gun control like licenses/permits, background checks, red flag laws for individuals with mental health issues and not making weapons on war available to the average regard with a gun.

Republicans: Hm, how about anyone can carry a gun in Texas with no permit?  Oh and FUCK YOU, we rule Texas, we make the rules. 

Again - one day, the gun control voters and Dem legislators will win out and the gun owners are not going to like the results because they refuse to meet anywhere in the middle for reasonable (and popular!) gun control measures. 

And as someone who has been shooting since he was old enough so shoulder a rifle (with my dad's help), and has been doing so non-stop for nearly a half century, who has a safe full of various firearms for different purposes.....I 100% agree.  And have been saying this for YEARS.

No right is unlimited.  We hear the shouts of "shall not be infringed" re the 2nd Amendment.....but not so many pay attention to "shall make no law" abridging the freedom of speech.  Yet we clearly DO have limits on free speech, and have since forever (fire in a crowded theater and all that -- reasonable time, place and manner restrictions).  This idea that any declare right is functionally unlimited has no relation to the entire history of the Constitution or any legal treatment of same, ever.  The absurdity is that "arms" are not limited to firearms.  It's ALL arms.  If the right to keep and bear "arms" is unlimited, and "shall not be infringed," then it is necessarily unconstitutional to prohibit  an American from producing and owning a nuclear weapon. Yes, that sounds absurd, but it's the only logical conclusion of this thinking.

OR, we could approach it the way it HAS been approached throughout history: subject to limited regulation, which should be subjected to strict scrutiny.  But not only do we refuse to do that, we lurch even further AWAY from any regulation or restriction.  Fuck, at this rate, I think we're one legislative session away from REQUIRING that every Texan, insane or not, felon or not, declared intent to murder people or not, carry a firearm wherever they go.

If you want to write a script on how to eventually LOSE the right (I'm talking flat-out repeal of the 2nd Amendment, supported by a strong majority vote), we're following it to the letter.

• Hook 'Em 3

We’re basically at peak boomer for entrenched power in this country. Maybe just slightly past it. Gen X starting to have some more clout. Nothing will be done about guns any time soon.

In 30 or so years when that’s millennials with a side of gen z, there is going to be a huge reckoning with regard to guns, and the crackdown will be far more harsh than it would’ve been had the Republican Party been willing to act in good faith on the issue at some point over the past two decades.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

We’re basically at peak boomer for entrenched power in this country. Maybe just slightly past it. Gen X starting to have some more clout. Nothing will be done about guns any time soon.

In 30 or so years when that’s millennials with a side of gen z, there is going to be a huge reckoning with regard to guns, and the crackdown will be far more harsh than it would’ve been had the Republican Party been willing to act in good faith on the issue at some point over the past two decades.

and in 30 years they'll still look and point and go, "see, we were right! they're coming for our guns!" 

18 minute video of Donna Howard holding Shelby Slawson feet to the fire on the abortion bill. Lots of gestation vs first day of period talk. Looks like a senior girl telling a freshman to shut the fuck up. Facts(disputed), emotions (rampant), definitions (Webster), you have it all. 

Donna also aborted the Lake Austin annexation today for tax reasons with a point of order

Edited by StassneyHorn

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t want to wait until I’m 60, old, and ugly to see marijuana legalized. Can we you know..... hurry the fuck up on that?

22 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If you want to write a script on how to eventually LOSE the right (I'm talking flat-out repeal of the 2nd Amendment, supported by a strong majority vote), we're following it to the letter.

19 hours ago, gmr548 said:

19 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

and in 30 years they'll still look and point and go, "see, we were right! they're coming for our guns!" 

All of these - it's been said in the gun control and NRA threads, but the people on the right who are pushing way too hard for this stuff, are going to ultimately create the situation that they claim they are fighting against.

It's like a little brat who has a bedtime of 8pm, and he keeps pushing the parents hard on it and keeps fucking around all the way until 8pm and beyond, because he believes if he doesn't push and test the boundaries, then they'll make him go to bed earlier.  Well, he pushes things too far for too long, and they reach the point where they go "look you little shit, you want to test my patience, you can go to bed at 7:30!"

These idiots are pandering to their idiot base, all the while the ERCOT shit is moving way too slow through the chambers.

16 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

18 minute video of Donna Howard holding Shelby Slawson feet to the fire on the abortion bill. Lots of gestation vs first day of period talk. Looks like a senior girl telling a freshman to shut the fuck up. Facts(disputed), emotions (rampant), definitions (Webster), you have it all. 

Donna also aborted the Lake Austin annexation today for tax reasons with a point of order

That cluster of unattractive Karens around Slawson with their smug smirks on their faces says it all.   Their god is so much more powerful than the pathetic scientists.  They can ignore science because of their moral crusade.   I'd bet the house on them all suffering from dusty crotch. 

58 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

SB7 initially passed through the house at 3am.

So did Briscoe get his wish to modify SB7 however he wishes behind closed doors or are all the amendments completed now?   I was afraid he would take it behind those doors and stuff it with provisions sought in 1340, 530 and other crappy house bills.  

16 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

"I don't know that I agree with that."

"Well, that's what the science says."

"So you're telling me that the science is wrong, because you don't agree with it?"

Well, that is what Republicans do.

Also, what is Marla Hooch doing there?

image.png.d84bdeb43d8c9f2c84b7040db2efeba4.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just so many shitty fucking bills on the floor, and all based on nothing substantial to improve Texas.    All this time on voter suppression and nothing on the power grid.   Time spent on anti-abortion and no expansion of Medicaid or planned parenthood.   Open carry and nothing on mental health.   Running homeless off the streets but nothing on helping them get back on their feet.   

So enraging.  And people wonder why Christianity is losing its base.   Because its focus has been bastardized to fit the needs of those greedy for wealth and power.  Driven by revenge against others who actually have enjoyable lives.    There are too many philistines in those churches now.  They get the news coverage, they demand the news coverage, and those folks who still hold the real Christian values of tolerance and charity are stained by it.   

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 3

The top political consultant to Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller was arrested Thursday on allegations that he participated in a scheme to solicit money and campaign contributions for state hemp licenses issued by Miller’s Texas Department of Agriculture.

The consultant, Todd Smith, ultimately took $55,000 as part of the scheme, an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by The Texas Tribune says. Smith and others involved in the scheme are alleged in the warrant to have solicited a total of $150,000 to guarantee a license, including a $25,000 upfront cost for a survey that they said was required to get a license in Texas. Some of the money would also go toward funding unnamed political campaigns, according to the affidavit.

The affidavit alleges that Smith committed third-degree felony theft.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/07/sid-miller-todd-smith/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

What’s this I hear about the state GOP passing a bill where schools can’t discuss race or current events in class rooms?  Censoring teachers opinions is not going to make more kid’s conservatives Potty Patrick!

Arizona is passing one too that fines teachers $5k 

Just now, Js1 said:

Arizona is passing one too that fines teachers $5k 

Republicans are clearly getting desperate all over the country. They know demographics and the numbers game aren’t trending in their favor. They will probably never win a popular vote ever again.  It sucks that they’re using the power of heavily gerrymandered legislatures to pass crazy policy. I wish there was a way to counter it, but it’s tough.

7 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

One thing is for sure re: open carry. The sign industry is gonna see a boom in Texas with all the businesses needing to post that you can't carry your stupid inside

business owners must tell people verbally, a sign can not do that job

19 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Who created this law telling business owners how to run their businesses?

the party of small government business owners must verbally tell customers if guns aren't allowed in their businesses, rather than only posting a sign

Stassney, those 2 women on the left behind Briscoe, they were behind Slawson earlier in the day.  Are they reps?    And the redhead on the far right is Slawson, right?  Different outfit from before.  

Edited by pyrohornIII

I don’t know what that means, but they are all part of the Bible Beaters Caucus. They love the Bible Beaters Caucus. Their husbands don’t mine the time away, in fact they enjoy some time by themselves while their off with the Bible Beaters Caucus. Briscoe Cain also enjoys being with the Bible Beaters Caucus, has been since high school but fell off for a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

good ole Briscoe Cain knew exactly what he was doing putting that language in, then feigning ignorance.  Dogwhistle of the highest order.  Anchia was way too nice.

There had also already been testimony about that language in the committee hearing so yes, he was well aware of the history.

2 minutes ago, swraith said:

Sigh.  I get it.  Beef industry wants its regulatory protections from competition.  So nice of our "small government" officials using big government tactics to create barriers of entry. 

The government is picking winners and losers!!!

They didn't even do it because it's popular - they did it because TABC wants to keep the money flowing in.

Alcohol to-go is still going to be lucrative for Texas businesses moving forward = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the government in the form of taxes and in turn, more money into the pocket of Republican campaigns via businesses. 

Am I missing some obvious about alcohol to go? Like, why would you not just pick up beer or alcohol at a store anyway? Is this one of those “You have to get a margarita at xxxxxxx. They’re great.”  Cause this all seems like an easy way to get an open container ticket and an even easier way for a cop to say he has reasonable doubt to think you’re driving drunk.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, StassneyHorn said:

Am I missing some obvious about alcohol to go? Like, why would you not just pick up beer or alcohol at a store anyway? Is this one of those “You have to get a margarita at xxxxxxx. They’re great.”  Cause this all seems like an easy way to get an open container ticket and an even easier way for a cop to say he has reasonable doubt to think you’re driving drunk.

If you’re picking up fajitas to go, why not some margs?  

Our legislature is so dumb that this never would have happened without a pandemic which happens about every 100 years.

Even with that I am amazed it passed. Whoever the restaurant lobbyists are, they did a good job