87th Texas Legislature

StassneyHorn

29 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

think so. the bill says beer and wine. specs has liquor too, and is already closed on sundays for that reason.

The big box liquor lobby like Specs are against being open on Sundays - as if the lege will hold a gun to their hold and force them to be open.  They don't have to be if they don't want to be - but they'd lose business to mom and pop liquor stores who choose to be open on Sunday. 

But the big box lobby is going to win out over mom and pops who want to be open. 

the abortion of an abortion bill is headed to Abbott's desk...

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/13/texas-heartbeat-abortion-six-weeks/?utm_source=articleshare&utm_medium=social

six weeks...many if not most women don't even know they're pregnant at six weeks, not to mention have time to get a test, make an appointment, get $, etc. not clear if you still have to have a wand crammed up your va-jay-jay if you do manage to get in under the wire.

NO exceptions for rape or incest. what.the.fuck.

allows anybody - your nosy next door neighbor! - to sue anybody who helps, including your friend who gives you a lift to the clinic. 

i'm way past the age to have to worry about it...but it's still insanity. i sound like a nut with my college-age niece:

her: "going camping with my friends next wee..."

me: "OMG WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T GET PREGNANT!!"

cocksuckers 😡

image.png.0e7c26384e6ec2289a8ca26e065f16ca.png

Edited by mchookem

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I noticed that a bill also passed the House to let homeschoolers participate in UIL activities. I'm not in favor of that. If parents want their children to participate in UIL activities, then place them in public schools.

Agreed.  They should have never let the Jesuits in either.

17 minutes ago, mchookem said:

the abortion of an abortion bill is headed to Abbott's desk...

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/13/texas-heartbeat-abortion-six-weeks/?utm_source=articleshare&utm_medium=social

six weeks...many if not most women don't even know they're pregnant at six weeks, not to mention have time to get a test, make an appointment, get $, etc. not clear if you still have to have a wand crammed up your va-jay-jay if you do manage to get in under the wire.

NO exceptions for rape or incest. what.the.fuck.

allows anybody - your nosy next door neighbor! - to sue anybody who helps, including your friend who gives you a lift to the clinic. 

Can someone explain how enforcement of this actually works?  Based on that Texas Tribune article, there won't really be any enforcement by the state.  There are no criminal penalties.  The only enforcement is via allowing people to sue abortion providers?  Are we going to have private companies start popping up whose business model is to find women getting abortions and then sue the doctors, nurses and counselors? 

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

Has my vote. 100% will vote.  Will vote against Patrick in primary too no matter who his opponent is.

I always vote Republican in offyear cycles so I can vote against people I hate twice.

I do that too, if there's nothing interesting in the D primary. (There's never anything interesting in the D primary)

• Hook 'Em 1

I do that too, if there's nothing interesting in the D primary. (There's never anything interesting in the D primary)

I do as well on occasion. Last time I was the only one in line voting republican and everyone looked at my like I was a freak. Had to explain my strategy

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Republicans are such fucking snowflakes.  Fuck me, I am so fucking embarrassed for having been one.  

Um, no. Apparently you are *"oppressed and bullied" and "the Democratic policy of 'my way or the highway' has got to stop." So embrace your victimhood and return to the fold, you lost lamb, you.

*Yes, this is a direct quote of which I have receipts*

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

I do as well on occasion. Last time I was the only one in line voting republican and everyone looked at my like I was a freak. Had to explain my strategy

Where I went to vote and declared “ Republican” out loud.   It got a lot of fist pumps, cheers, and sighs of relief from all the blue hairs in the room. They were like “ I love young republicans! Gotta keep the future of our country going”.  

I was just thinking fuck you guys I’m just here to vote against potty Patrick, hot wheels abbott, and another bush.

Edited by Voldemort86
  • Like 1

If the bill is House Bill 3979, I am confused about the tweet above. I don't see anything mentioned about Native Americans in the bill. There is a section regarding TEKS that mentions that civics education must include an understanding of (and lists several works) one of which includes the transcript of the first Lincoln-Douglass debate. I suppose if they then forbid any other reviews surrounding those debates, then I see the point.

However, there are issues I have with the legislation. It talks a lot about 'feelings' and not making students 'feel' uncomfortable (about past actions in American history) I'm paraphrasing, but it is insulting that the Texas legislature is writing white fragility into law in 2021. Good Lord.

Could go in multiple threads, but the Texas Secretary of State is stepping down as the Senate was too busy washing their hair. “Smooth and secure” election. Guilty of letting Harris County ramp up election efforts

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Texas-Secretary-of-State-Ruth-Hughs-resigns-under-16195586.php

Could go in multiple threads, but the Texas Secretary of State is stepping down as the Senate was too busy washing their hair. “Smooth and secure” election. Guilty of letting Harris County ramp up election efforts
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Texas-Secretary-of-State-Ruth-Hughs-resigns-under-16195586.php

Welp, it’ll be interesting what partisan hack they put in that position. Guaranteed our urban counties will “go” for Trump 70-30 in ‘24 though. Putin will be proud.

41 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Welp, it’ll be interesting what partisan hack they put in that position. Guaranteed our urban counties will “go” for Trump 70-30 in ‘24 though. Putin will be proud.

This is Abbott's second Texas SoS that the Senate refused to confirm.

Abbott gets to nominate another acting SoS, and the legislature won't be back in session until 2023.

Trumpers have turned on Abbott.  The Texas GOP has turned on Abbott.

It's in Abbott's best interest to get somebody that's not willing to fuck around for the Trump crowd, because if he puts a hardcore Trumpkin in there, they will work against Abbott.

15 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Wish I never heard ‘God Bless the USA.’

They played it at the Astrodome not long after we started sending troops to Saudi Arabia back in late 1990 (it was well before the World Series, and probably before the playoffs, since the Astros sucked shit that year IIRC).  I got in for free with some friends who were doing JROTC stuff there.

Anyways, they played the song and bunch of people in the crowd were standing up and putting their hands over their hearts, and somebody asked the JROTC cadets why they weren't saluting.

Weird as fuck how that song took hold of people.  I mean, I get it, it's an incredibly patriotic song, and I know I'm biased against it now, because Greenwood is a Trumper, but it was just weird even at the time.  People were acting like we were going to war against a first-world country or something.

We’re the biggest backward state in the Union. The guy from Mineola who sponsored the bill could not define CRT I’d his life depended on it:

The Senate-approved version revives specific essential curriculum standards that students are required to understand, including the Declaration of Independence and the Federalist Papers. But it stripped more than two dozen requirements to study the writings or stories of multiple women and people of color that were also previously approved by the House, despite attempts by Democratic senators to reinstate some of those materials in the bill.

The Senate did vote to include the Federal Civil Rights Act of 1964, the 13th 14th and 19th amendments to the U.S. Constitution and the complexity of the relationship between Texas and Mexico to the list of required instruction.

Yet the most controversial aspects of the bill remain, including that teachers must explore current events from multiple positions without giving “deference to any one perspective.” It also bars students from getting course credit for civic engagement efforts, including lobbying for legislation or other types of political activism.

Educators, historians and school advocacy groups who fiercely oppose the bill remained unswayed by arguments that the bill is merely meant to ensure students are taught that one race or gender is not superior to another

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/22/texas-critical-race-theory-legislature/

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

Educators, historians and school advocacy groups who fiercely oppose the bill remained unswayed by arguments that the bill is merely meant to ensure students are taught that one race or gender is not superior to another

They should stay unswayed. The fine print in the GQP manifesto ( America First) was pretty clear about the Euro-centric (i.e. white) emphasis.

More idiocy aimed at public schools (and some universities). I've never understood how the use of this phrase passes muster under the First Amendment. Is it because it doesn't spell out a specific god?

Some Texas schools would be required to hang "In God We Trust" signs under measure nearing passage by lawmakers

The Texas Legislature is on the verge of approving a new law that would require some public schools and universities to display the phrase “In God We Trust” in prominent places inside all campus buildings.

Under Senate Bill 797, authored by Sen. Bryan Hughes, R-Mineola, any school that had a poster or framed copy of the phrase, which is the official national motto, donated to it would be required to hang it in “a conspicuous place in each building of the school.”

SB 797 has already passed the Texas Senate. The House gave preliminary approval for the bill Monday, passing it on a voice vote. An attempt to amend the bill to restrict the size of displays to just over 1 square foot failed. The bill is expected to get final approval Tuesday and, because no amendments were added to the bill on the House floor, head to Gov. Greg Abbott.

The bill sets specific rules about the display of the phrase, saying the poster or frame “must contain a representation of the United States flag centered under the national motto and a representation of the state flag.” It also says the display cannot contain any other words, images or information.

The measure is in line with several that have progressed through the Capitol this year pertaining to education or patriotism. Lawmakers are also nearing passage of a bill that would ban teaching — or accepting donated materials pertaining to — critical race theory in public and open-enrollment charter schools. Other measures advancing in the final days of the session would require schools to teach “informed American patriotism” and require any professional sports teams with contracts with the state government to play the national anthem before the start of a game.

Rep. Tom Oliverson laid out the “In God We Trust” bill at a House Public Education Committee hearing early this month, saying the bill would avoid creating “conversation” for school superintendents if they wanted to put up a sign with the phrase. He said they could defer the action to state law.

“It actually makes the conversation simpler, easier for a school district to be able to do, as opposed to just sort of the current statute, which is they can put it up if they want to,” Oliverson, R-Cypress, said. “But then there's a whole conversation that ensues.”

While representatives for the Texas Faith & Freedom Coalition and the Republican Party of Texas registered and testified in support of the bill, representatives from the League of Women Voters of Texas and Texas Impact registered their opposition.

I am a quiet worshiper along with the rest of the family, but these actions are driving us away from religion. Seriously. My children have their father's bullshit meter and while some pastors would blame that on us, the parents, I'm saying no, this is on those who are determined to create a wedge through state sponsored faith-based loyalty/purity tests. Our former pastor (he was on rotation ) was such a decent man who focused on the individual's relationship with their faith and their relationship with the community. Politics was verboten,  thoughtful reflections outlined in his sermons from the Bible were what illuminated the path toward humane Christian loving towards others.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, bolverk said:

More idiocy aimed at public schools (and some universities). I've never understood how the use of this phrase passes muster under the First Amendment. Is it because it doesn't spell out a specific god?

This cocksucker from Mineola has been busy this session.  Sounds like a shithole place.  

22 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I am a quiet worshiper along with the rest of the family, but these actions are driving us away from religion. Seriously. My children have their father's bullshit meter and while some pastors would blame that on us, the parents, I'm saying no, this is on those who are determined to create a wedge through state sponsored faith-based loyalty/purity tests. Our former pastor (he was on rotation ) was such a decent man who focused on the individual's relationship with their faith and their relationship with the community. Politics was verboten,  thoughtful reflections outlined in his sermons from the Bible were what illuminated the path toward humane Christian loving towards others.

Before I went full-on agnostic with a heavy lean toward atheism after graduation, I too was pushed away from my Southern Baptist church early in my sophomore or freshmen year at HS by the self-righteous, dogmatic, judgmental, proselytizing, hypocritic assholes. This kind of overbearing shit will inevitably push more away from Christianity, especially freethinking or rebellious teens who'll undoubtedly and rightfully see displays such as this are a push for state-sponsored religious indoctrination.

Spoiler

Obey Giant Offset Print by Shepard Fairey | Nelly Duff

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, elguapo said:

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/24/texas-house-national-anthem/?utm_source=articleshare&utm_medium=social

Texas house voted to remove state funding from sports teams that don't play the national anthem before games, how is this not fascism?

"Before games" is a fairly undefined term.  and what does "play" actually mean? If the anthem is broadcast in the back office in the arena 5 hours before the game, is that abiding by the letter of the law? 

Of course, pushing the boundaries of this law could easily get Abbott to go after you even if you would ultimately win in court.

14 minutes ago, elguapo said:

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/24/texas-house-national-anthem/?utm_source=articleshare&utm_medium=social

Texas house voted to remove state funding from sports teams that don't play the national anthem before games, how is this not fascism?

You must be educated under the gaze of the State's God, you must play the State's song of fealty, you must spend your local dollars arming and supporting the State's agents of force, etc. etc. ad nauseum.  It's all fascism.  We're there.  The apparatus and structure is there.  All that's left are the final measures.  They'll come in time.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You must be educated under the gaze of the State's God, you must play the State's song of fealty, you must spend your local dollars arming and supporting the State's agents of force, etc. etc. ad nauseum.  It's all fascism.  We're there.  The apparatus and structure is there.  All that's left are the final measures.  They'll come in time.

Agreed, but it's been there since at least the beginning of the Cold War when "under God" was added to the pledge and "In God We Trust" was adopted as our national motto. This shit has been an ongoing internal battle, like Civil Rights and desegregation, since the 1950s.

6 hours ago, bolverk said:

Note to self:

Remember to donate "In Allah we trust" banners to every small town school in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

“Sell the franchise & some Texas Patriots will buy it,” Patrick said in a tweet at the time. “We ARE the land of free & the home of the brave.”

Evidently not free enough to choose whether or not to play the anthem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

Before I went full-on agnostic with a heavy lean toward atheism after graduation, I too was pushed away from my Southern Baptist church early in my sophomore or freshmen year at HS by the self-righteous, dogmatic, judgmental, proselytizing, hypocritic assholes. This kind of overbearing shit will inevitably push more away from Christianity, especially freethinking or rebellious teens who'll undoubtedly and rightfully see displays such as this are a push for state-sponsored religious indoctrination.

Reveal hidden contents

Obey Giant Offset Print by Shepard Fairey | Nelly Duff

and radicalize just as many.  Fundamentalists are the bedrock of sedition and fascism. 

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Thank god these fucksticks only meet once every two years.  I would hate to see the damage they would do if this was a full-time gig.

They definitely showed up this year with a purpose.  Property tax relief and winterizing our power equipment were obvious bipartisan goals but both of those were ignored and swept under the rug by bathroom boy.

They definitely showed up this year with a purpose.  Property tax relief and winterizing our power equipment were obvious bipartisan goals but both of those were ignored and swept under the rug by bathroom boy.

Property tax? That shit got totally resolved in the last session. Totally resolved.