87th Texas Legislature

StassneyHorn

Where is all this craziness going?  I mean, really.  What is the logical conclusion to what the republicans are doing here?  I don't know, but it does not sound very good.  They are even taking over the University with all that Liberty Institute and letting Hot Wheels use the stadium as a prop for the fact he can't get it up.  

And US House Dist 10 continues to be the biggest joke.

Edited by CTC2

7 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Where is all this craziness going?  I mean, really.  What is the logical conclusion to what the republicans are doing here?  I don't know, but it does not sound very good.  They are even taking over the University with all that Liberty Institute and letting Hot Wheels use the stadium as a prop for the fact he can't get it up.  

If they don't MAGA hard enough, they don't get The Orange One's endorsement, and they lose their next election, or at the very least, have to spend a lot more money and effort winning their primary.  They are counting on moderate Republicans (and some independents) ultimately showing up for them in the general, no matter how shitty they act between now and then.

And I  think a chunk of it is them fighting a rear-guard action.  They know the demographics are working against them in the long run.  They are trying to shove shit through to appease BMDs before they are out of power and/or the BMDs switch their financial support to the (D) when they start winning.

Beto coming within 2.6% of beating Cruz in 2018 scared the absolute shit out of them. The last Florida governor's race (also 2018) was decided by 33,000 votes.

3 hours ago, CTC2 said:

And US House Dist 10 continues to be the biggest joke.

If they are successful, the "logical conclusion" is a quasi-fascist kleptocracy (think Putin's Russia) that can do whatever they want behind the cloak of the flag and the cross. They want to enrich themselves and their donors as much as possible, deconstruct American institutions or oversight mechanisms that might hinder their goals, and intimidate or eliminate marginalized groups. They want to ensure that whatever remains of American wealth is reserved for the right kind of people, and doesn't get "wasted" on government services or public assistance that the wrong kind of people depend on. They want to eliminate, destabilize, or at least "manage" the democratic process so they can continue to stay in power long after they lose the support of the majority.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/glad-you-finally-came-out-of-the-closet-gov-abbott-on-texas-rep-ryan-guillen-switching-parties/

On Monday, Texas Governor Greg Abbott joined Texas House Rep. Ryan Guillen, formerly a Democrat representing District 31, as Guillen announced he’d seek re-election as a Republican.

From Floresville, Texas, Abbott commended Guillen for the move, saying Democratic policies no longer represent the values of the Hispanic community in south Texas. Additionally, Abbott said: “This has been the worst kept secret at the Capitol. Everyone has known that Ryan Guillen is really a Republican who is attached to the wrong label. Ryan: we’re glad you finally came out of the closet.”

• 3 weeks later...

Department of Justice suing Texas for violations of section 2 of the VRA. Specifically mentions dilution of Hispanic and Black voters

https://www.justice.gov/live

press conference link starts at 10:30 if you fast forward

45 page filing doc

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21138652-united-states-of-america-v-texas

Edited by StassneyHorn

• 3 months later...
On 8/18/2021 at 8:20 PM, StassneyHorn said:

As much as we think redistricting rules matter they don’t. Tom Delay.

More people in the very cool and very online crowd are saying it’s the first regular session after a census where it’s mandated. If the info came out during a special session, their argument is, it would have to wait til the next regular session.

But Republicans control everything so they’ll get what they want, when they want.