2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

yeah i guess i don't quite understand ufc scoring because if just laying on top of a guy for half the round equals a 10-8 round that's pretty fucking lame.
Honestly there should be a shitload more 10-8 rds than there are because of the scoring change they did back in 2017 or something.

2 hours ago, JohnnyRage said:

So all three judges gave Jan the 1st round.

And it's not really UFC scoring, its the Nevada Athletic Commission and the unified policies with other commissions.

jan outstruck in in round 1, more volume, higher percentage, and looked like they connectd more cleanly

first 3 rounds were close, but indisputable to me that jan won first 2. 

cleary and d'amato had correct scores.  kamijo is very questionable.  overall the UD was correct

10 hours ago, Scraps said:

Honestly there should be a shitload more 10-8 rds than there are because of the scoring change they did back in 2017 or something.

You say that, but I saw no 10-8 rounds last night in the main event. Yet two judges gave Jan 10-8 in that final round. Jan definitely won the round, no question. But when I think 10-8, I think outclassed. Izzy didn't get outclassed at any point in the fight. 

11 minutes ago, Frieda’s Boss said:

Yan’s knee to the head of Sterling was bizarre. It was almost like “I’m done with this guy, screw it” and blasted him. That was awful. 

I was not impressed with Sterling at all in that fight though. Horrible way to win a belt. 

sterling was so sharp in that first round.  movement, range, everything was on point.  then he fell off a cliff and piotr just threw him around.

i think he'll shed all that nervous energy and be much improved in the rematch... but damn piotr is just a killer though. 

You say that, but I saw no 10-8 rounds last night in the main event. Yet two judges gave Jan 10-8 in that final round. Jan definitely won the round, no question. But when I think 10-8, I think outclassed. Izzy didn't get outclassed at any point in the fight. 
You didn't, but the judges who are told how to score 10-8s did...."outclassing" is not the determination of a 10-8 anymore.

11 minutes ago, Scraps said:
2 hours ago, youdunnf said:

You didn't, but the judges who are told how to score 10-8s did

Dana seemed to disagree with those judges based on his post fight presser, but I guess he isn’t the one telling them how to judge either (as strange as that is). He said point blank that it shouldn’t have been scored that way. 

fast forward to 35 seconds 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

12 hours ago, 52-80 said:

sterling was so sharp in that first round.  movement, range, everything was on point.  then he fell off a cliff and piotr just threw him around.

i think he'll shed all that nervous energy and be much improved in the rematch... but damn piotr is just a killer though. 

Whats Going On Wtf GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petr_Yan

1 minute ago, Scraps said:
1 hour ago, TexArcher said:
I'm gonna make an ass of myself and predict that Edwards and Belal put on a show, like fight of the year candidate.  Belal is too good for Edwards to be -260 to -305 on various sites.

Didnt watch any of tonight but Belal isnt that good

I didn't think he'd win, but he's won 8 of his last 9.  And both of those guys usually go to a decision and usually win it, so it seemed like it could be a good fight.  Shame we didn't get to find out.

Guess Houston got skipped. 

The UFC will be running its first show in front of a full crowd in more than a year. And the promotion will do so with a huge main event.

Kamaru Usman will defend his UFC welterweight title in a rematch against Jorge Masvidal in the headliner of UFC 261 on April 24 in Jacksonville, Florida, UFC president Dana White said Monday on Twitter.

White said the event will have a full crowd of about 15,000 fans -- the first time the UFC has done a card with no capacity limit since the start of the coronavirus pandemic in March 2020.

"I have been waiting a year for this day to tell you: We are back," White said in the video on Twitter.

UFC 261 will take place at the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena, which hosted the UFC's first three shows following a two-month COVID-19 hiatus in May. Those events took place without fans in attendance.

Jacksonville mayor Lenny Curry tweeted that he, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and White will "continue to demonstrate that Florida is poised to safely host signature sporting events watched globally."

Usman-Masvidal 2 will be the third of three title fights on the card. UFC women's flyweight champion Valentina Shevchenko will defend against former strawweight champion Jessica Andrade and women's strawweight champion Zhang Weili takes on former champ Rose Namajunas. Those two bouts already had been reported.

Guess Houston got skipped. 
The UFC will be running its first show in front of a full crowd in more than a year. And the promotion will do so with a huge main event.
Kamaru Usman will defend his UFC welterweight title in a rematch against Jorge Masvidal in the headliner of UFC 261 on April 24 in Jacksonville, Florida, UFC president Dana White said Monday on Twitter.
White said the event will have a full crowd of about 15,000 fans -- the first time the UFC has done a card with no capacity limit since the start of the coronavirus pandemic in March 2020.
"I have been waiting a year for this day to tell you: We are back," White said in the video on Twitter.
UFC 261 will take place at the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena, which hosted the UFC's first three shows following a two-month COVID-19 hiatus in May. Those events took place without fans in attendance.
Jacksonville mayor Lenny Curry tweeted that he, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and White will "continue to demonstrate that Florida is poised to safely host signature sporting events watched globally."
Usman-Masvidal 2 will be the third of three title fights on the card. UFC women's flyweight champion Valentina Shevchenko will defend against former strawweight champion Jessica Andrade and women's strawweight champion Zhang Weili takes on former champ Rose Namajunas. Those two bouts already had been reported.
Turner and Hidalgo would've thrown a fit anyway