2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:
  Reveal hidden contents

09D04C42-ECB8-41AA-B663-583639836778.jpeg

Yeah that’s what happens to grandma in the luby’s parking lot.  Only way a professional athlete steps back and suffers a tib/fib fracture is if the tibia was already compromised.  Btw that was very close to a gruesome compound fracture.  #SawBonz can weigh in…

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I'd love to see them feed Conor some cans for a few fights. Make some money, let him knock some guys out. he's not a real contender

He’s making enough money off everything else, he’s done.  He might fight a Paul next and make 50 plus million and be done I bet.

I'd love to see them feed Conor some cans for a few fights. Make some money, let him knock some guys out. he's not a real contender
I'd love for him to keep getting fed to people better than him and him keep losing

Fuck that tool

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah that’s what happens to grandma in the luby’s parking lot.  Only way a professional athlete steps back and suffers a tib/fib fracture is if the tibia was already compromised.  Btw that was very close to a gruesome compound fracture.  #SawBonz can weigh in…

Didn’t watch the fight but yeah probably stress fracture was there prior to fight. From reading looks like he was throwing a lot of kicks and during one kick Poirier said he felt something give. I’m surprised it didn’t come through the skin. 

Poirier was already my favorite fighter, but that interview knocked everyone else further down a couple of notches.  Dude is just awesome.

And legit LOL at Conor saying, "Be careful what ya say to me!" to a guy who just beat his ass twice.  Go fight intramurals, brotha.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

one of the great regrets of Conor's entire run is that no one knows how to mock Ireland properly. It's either calling him a leprechaun or MAYBE saying something about alcoholism (but not nearly enough of that).

I would be a perfect foil for Conor given my lifelong hatred of the Irish

I am offering my service to any of Conor's future opponents

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Poirier was already my favorite fighter, but that interview knocked everyone else further down a couple of notches.  Dude is just awesome.

And legit LOL at Conor saying, "Be careful what ya say to me!" to a guy who just beat his ass twice.  Go fight intramurals, brotha.

This.

Conor breaking is ankle is arguably the best thing that could’ve happened for his career. That’s his out. We don’t have to talk about how that fight was trending or how eventually he was gonna get taken down again and one of those elbows was going to put him to sleep. 

Conor definitely isn’t washed though. DP is just better. He’s better than everyone in the division. And if he isn’t the best he’s definitely the most well rounded. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

25 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Apparently Kris Moutinho quit his full time job 11 days ago, right before he accepted this fight against O’Malley. Earned $75k in his ufc debut. Got his ass beat, but I’m sure that experience was worth it for him. 

From the interview I heard he quit his job at the paint factory before all of this to focus on being a martial arts trainer and practitioner. He was also hesitant to talk about it, but it wasn't a 1 fight deal, so at least two.

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

Now that everyone at the top level knows how to check kicks effectively, it's time to lay off the lower leg kicks. If a guy is effectively checking your kicks, it's time to throw that strategy out for the rest of the fight.

I'm not trained, but I think that is a little oversimplified. And now something relatively new is that kicks are targeting the calf. I've heard it been said that they are harder to check and much of the damage still occurs even if checked. There is little room for the swelling to expand. The only person I've heard try to describe how to defend the calf kick was St. Pierre and I couldn't understand him. "He sounded intoxicated" #Bisping

It is not likely to see even the higher thigh kicks properly checked. Most of the time the recipient is lucky to get his leg off the mat or out of the way much less inflict damage back at the kicker.

There have been some gnarly injuries lately, but most of that is freaky shit.

When I accidentally knock the shit out of my shin and am on the ground in agony, I think, "I could never ever be a fighter."

Edited by JohnnyRage

27 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

I'm not trained, but I think that is a little oversimplified. And now something relatively new is that kicks are targeting the calf. I've heard it been said that they are harder to check and much of the damage still occurs even if checked. There is little room for the swelling to expand. The only person I've heard try to describe how to defend the calf kick was St. Pierre and I couldn't understand him. "He sounded intoxicated" #Bisping

It is not likely to see even the higher thigh kicks properly checked. Most of the time the recipient is lucky to get his leg off the mat or out of the way much less inflict damage back at the kicker.

There have been some gnarly injuries lately, but most of that is freaky shit.

When I accidentally knock the shit out of my shin and am on the ground in agony, I think, "I could never ever be a fighter."

If a fighter can't accurately land the calf kicks, they're tagging the knee or the other person's shin. If the fighter has been training the kicks heavily leading into the fight, they could also have their tibias absolutely littered with unhealed micro-fractures. Then it comes down to who has the stronger bones. I think that is what happened here. It was obviously a heavy part of Conor's game plan because Dustin absolutely embarrassed him with the calf kicks in the second fight.

So, I think Conor was trying to give him a dose of his own medicine. However, unlike Conor's half-assed checking in the second fight, Dustin was very effectively checking the kicks right out the gate. I think in the future we'll see higher level fighters test out their opponent's ability to check kicks and toss the strategy if the opponent is effective in checking. It is worth it for a fighter to revisit it in the later rounds, though, to see if the checking is sloppy or thrown out of the window due to fatigue.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing some camps getting the occasional tibia x-ray to monitor tibia health going forward if leg kicks are going to be a part of their overall strategy. Kicking the pads hundreds of times a day combined with high impact cardio like jump rope and jogging leaves very little recovery time for lower leg. Doc says the tibia is starting to look a little brittle, it's time to mix in some swimming, airdyne bike, and laying off the kicks for a week.

• Hook 'Em 1

Good work on the leg breakdowns. I think Conor would've tossed the kicking gameplan in round 2, there was checks and counters coming at him after the first couple leg kicks Conor attempted. It wasn't going to be a winning strategy. 

I was more interested in the boxing exchanges, since I felt like that was Conor's only hope to win, his quickness/speed and that left hand. Dustin threw 3 or 4 counter lefts after reading Conor's 1-2 (jab-left hand), he was slipping Conor's signature left hand had firing a straight left of his own, and it looked dangerous (think it only caught once or twice). Not sure what else Conor had in his bag after Round 1, while also getting pounded on the ground for a couple minutes, but it didn't look good. Hate to get robbed of him getting put to sleep again, but his little temper tantrum with Rogan was almost as satisfying. 

Conor needs Dustin to lose next fight if he wants to return to UFC. I don't see him taking a fight with Gaethje or Chandler or whoever else... he'll go fight a Paul brother and live Colby Covington's dream life. 

I don't really see it as plainly as the coach describes it. If it was in that sequence of events it would have been a front kick blocked downward by Dustin's left arm.

What's super interesting is all of the above happened because Conor from the bottom was grabbing the inside of Dustin's gloves to not allow him to posture up. Dustin quickly became sick of it and peeled his arms out, creating distance and turning away while barking at the ref. This gave Conor the chance to stand up with mere seconds left in the round.

Had he not been a cheater, along with being a piece of shit, he would have finished the round on the ground with an unbroken shin maybe ready for better things in round 2.

Edited by JohnnyRage
Shadow Operative touches himself at night