2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

I missed these fights, but did any of you all catch wind of the viral gym controversy that Strickland got himself into?

At first his story sounded sympathetic in that a Jiu Jitso heavy in a grappling sparring session was attacking Strickland's lead arm underhook by quickly cranking on it with an almost punching arm bar. He did it multiple times until Strickland lost his cool and took a few swings at him, complained that he had a main event upcoming, and packed his bags and left. Later I saw an interview with the Jiu Jitso heavyweight that Strickland was at a bar with a common group of friends. He didn't know who Strickland was, but that he was being a cocky asshole and downplaying grappling. Also said the heavy had no business in the ring, but later agreed to spar at the recommendation of others. He did do the underhook armbar a few times to show Strickland that you can't be so casual about giving your arm up so easily.

It's still pretty dick to do it multiple times after the guy vocalizes that that's not what he's there for.

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I don’t think I understand. What do you mean by a punching armbar?

I did not watch this video, but assume.

Strickland would put an underhook under his opponents armpit. Sanchez would violently swing up with his right arm to put pressure on the forearm/elbow of the underhook.

• Like 1

I did not watch this video, but assume.
Strickland would put an underhook under his opponents armpit. Sanchez would violently swing up with his right arm to put pressure on the forearm/elbow of the underhook.

Ahh. Ok. The punching thing threw me off. Most of the time I just refer to it as an arm lock. Or maybe an under hook arm lock.

I've dozed off during more than one of his fights. Muay Thai technical striker that moves like a guy half his size. He's really fucking good but I don't know - when I watch heavy weights I want to see the dudes like Lewis who come out and swing hammers. I hope Lewis knocks his head up into the rafters with Hakeem's jersey.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, Gane looks the part and he's a very technical striker who can also get submissions.  But three of his last four wins have been decisions, granted that he was in with some dangerous guys.  I think it's fair to say that he's not a guy who's looking to finish a fight if he can win it on points.

I expect he wins a decision here.  But there's a chance he gets KTFO'd spectacularly, and I'm kinda pulling for that.

Shit like that at fuck-you levels of money ill never be able to comprehend the utility.

If you are a family of deposed middle eastern royalty living in exile for months on end, it makes perfect sense. 

But as a solo business traveler having been occasionally upgraded to suites at luxury hotels, its like yeah, i sleep on the bed, i sit in 1/3rd of the couch in its separate living room, and i might kick my feet on the chair in the private balcony. what else am i supposed do to with the remainder of the 800 sqft in 4 days?  

So question is, they sell the suite for 2 months out of the year to some politician, and thats enough to pay for the remaining 10 when it stays unoccupied?

Nice Start!

Why's Rogan not doing this one?

Cormier - "He needs to throw kicks now that his opponent has been forced to switch stances. He has to throw some kicks!"

Johns throws a right leg high kick

Cormier - "Now I know why he don't throw kicks!"

Edited by JohnnyRage

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Awesome. Thanks.

Chiesa practically had a body lock on him, but I think it was through the the legs. He rode his back for bit until it went to the ground where he was cranking on a dangerous rear naked choke at two different times. Luque would later say that it was 80%, but he was ready for it. He rolled out of it and Chiesa switched to an arm bar attempt that failed. In the scramble back up Chiesa pressed forward like a wrestler and it was right there.

• Like 1