2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

Part of me wants to believe Woodley carried him. ESPECIALLY after almost sending him through the ropes with one punch, and then he just stalks him for 10 seconds while only throwing a single jab to follow it up. It was as perplexing as Nate Diaz wasting time pointing to Leon after wobbling him instead of finishing him. But I guess it happens, and Woodley does have a style of waiting (/boring spectators). 

i see the plausibility in the agreement for woodley to carry him, and a promise of woodley rematch as the payout.

but occams razor screams to me the opposite.  both their egos need a KO -- woodley to redeem himself; paul to take his 'lore' up a notch.  too much risk leaving it up to the judges, or the other guy 'accidentally' putting you on your ass. 

Any thoughts on Khalil Rountree Jr. deliberately targeting and timing his opponents knee with a kick. They were saying that it is something Jon Jones was known for and something that is banned in gyms.

He tried it at least once before a few seconds before a perfectly timed kick while his oppenent was putting weight on his left leg to throw a punch. Looked like he shredded the guys knee and the fight was immediately stopped.

crop-16057847.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&

599B0391-DC84-45FF-AEF2-73457F88B609.jpeg

Edited by JohnnyRage

Any thoughts on Khalil Rountree Jr. deliberately targeting and timing his opponents knee with a kick. They were saying that it is something Jon Jones was known for and something that is banned in gyms.
He tried it at least once before a few seconds before a perfectly timed kick while his oppenent was putting weight on his left leg to throw a punch. Looked like he shredded the guys knee and the fight was immediately stopped.

crop-16057847.jpg?strip=all&quality=100&w=740&h=492&crop=1

599B0391-DC84-45FF-AEF2-73457F88B609.thumb.jpeg.55946cf0739c366fb9c27a00cce5ad32.jpeg

There are a lot of things that are “banned” in gyms but are allowed within the rules of MMA. For a long time most BJJ gyms wouldn’t let anyone but black belts practice heel hooks.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

There are a lot of things that are “banned” in gyms but are allowed within the rules of MMA. For a long time most BJJ gyms wouldn’t let anyone but black belts practice heel hooks.

I would imagine that with most submissions there is a brief moment before the leverage that comes with the wrenching where one is expecting his opponent to recognize the dire need to tap out. With something like this there is no chance to opt out of a potentially career ending injury. And at the end of the day this should hopefully be competition, not life changing.

I would imagine that with most submissions there is a brief moment before the leverage that comes with the wrenching where one is expecting his opponent to recognize the dire need to tap out. With something like this there is no chance to opt out of a potentially career ending injury. And at the end of the day this should hopefully be competition, not life changing.

Most submissions. And mostly because there is pain element that increases as a submission is cranked. So most grapplers can recognize where they are at in terms of serious damage (sometimes you get it wrong and let someone fuck you up). However, heel hooks and knee bars are notorious for being either you tap immediately it is slapped on or next thing you know tendons are decimated.

But in general, you just don’t do certain things in training because a small mistake means injury. I agree kicking someone’s knee is a dick move, but it’s not against most rule sets.

• 3 weeks later...

For supposedly being a high level jiu jitsu guy, Ortega never seems to use it. And he still eats a ton of shots. I feel like corners don’t do a good enough job of protecting their fighters. I’m all for giving your guy a chance but if he’s just taking a beating they’ve gotta step in and say “it’s not your night.”  Like Ortega v. Holloway, Ferguson vs Gaethje or that kid recently against OMalley. 

For supposedly being a high level jiu jitsu guy, Ortega never seems to use it. And he still eats a ton of shots. I feel like corners don’t do a good enough job of protecting their fighters. I’m all for giving your guy a chance but if he’s just taking a beating they’ve gotta step in and say “it’s not your night.”  Like Ortega v. Holloway, Ferguson vs Gaethje or that kid recently against OMalley. 

I didn’t see the fight, but one of the more frustrating things to watch in MMA is fighters/corners making and sticking to a game plan that doesn’t favor their strength. Numerous BJJ guys get into the ring and for some reason are hell bent on showing of their new and improved striking skills they picked up over the past 6 months. And it usually backfires.

Just watched a replay from last night and I could see volk getting out of the guillotine but I have no idea how he squirmed out of the triangle. That was Houdini shit. Most people give him shit because we saw him lose to Holloway possibly twice and get gifted decisions and that leaves a bad taste in people's mouths. That said the guy is great, seems like a decent fun loving Aussie, and seems to be in entertaining fights. I have no problem with him. 

Women's MMA needs new high level fighters. Only straw weight is interesting at all and I'd love to see Rose vs Weili 2. The only fight at the higher weight classes that could move the needle is Nunes and Valentina but they've done that twice and Nunes is just naturally way too big and strong for her. I think Valentina knows it too and that's why she never calls her out for a fight at 135 no matter how many cream puffs she dusts off. 

I went looking for a gif/video of the triangle y’all are talking about. It’s actually not as deep as you think. Ortega’s left leg seemed to be a bit high (towards the head) and there was definitely a gap in there. Triangle will only work if you get solid pressure on both arteries.

Edit:

Just found this, good explanation of mechanics:

Great. 

UFC bantamweight champion Aljamain Sterling has been pulled from his title defense against Petr Yan at UFC 267 on Oct. 30 because of medical reasons, per sources.

According to sources, Sterling (20-3) was denied medical clearance by doctors for the five-round fight. The UFC has not announced an official change to the card, but is discussing the creation of an interim title in Sterling's absence, per sources. The UFC 267 event will still take place on Oct. 30 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

Sterling (20-3) won the UFC title in March, when Yan was disqualified in the fourth round of their title fight for throwing an illegal knee. The 32-year-old underwent neck surgery in April to address a lingering injury he'd dealt with for years. Sterling's neck is still an issue and the reason he was pulled from the fight, he wrote on social media.

• Haha 1

Happy for Santos, but Walker looked really good, needed to almost double up his activity, but looked really good. Stayed disciplined for five rounds.

Holland is somehow both the world's biggest ass yet sometimes humble. That position and submission all resulted from a headbutt that should have paused the fight and gotten Doctor's approval to restart. But it all happened so fast. Right decision in my ill informed opinion.

Anybody figure out why Alex Oliveira was all in his feelers, usually he's dancing cod piece out?

On 9/5/2021 at 7:13 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Johnny Walker through a kick/push at the knee probably over 30 times during the last Fight Night. I guess it was the result and intent of the hunting and timing of the Roundtree kick. He landed it perfectly. It is what it is I guess. And it keeps the other fighter off of his forward leg because he knows there is the danger of that happening. Thus reducing his speed and power.

Johnny Walker through a kick/push at the knee probably over 30 times during the last Fight Night. I guess it was the result and intent of the hunting and timing of the Roundtree kick. He landed it perfectly. It is what it is I guess. And it keeps the other fighter off of his forward leg because he knows there is the danger of that happening. Thus reducing his speed and power.

That kick is one of the first things people learn at BJJ gyms (at least the old school ones or ones that still have a stand up/self defense component). One, it keeps your distance while you wait for an opening to shoot, or 2. Exactly what you described.