Chicken  

96 members have voted

1. 1. The best part?

• Leg
    • Thigh
    • Wing
    • Breast

On 1/19/2021 at 11:33 PM, Brisketexan said:

Love me some hearts and gizzards. Fried, of course. But grilled hearts on. Skewer are perfect.

For traditional parts, dark meat. Thigh preferred.

The heart is the correct answer.  Marinated in olive oil, salt, and pepper, thrown on a skewer and grilled.  It's perfect.

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

The heart is the correct answer.  Marinated in olive oil, salt, and pepper, thrown on a skewer and grilled.  It's perfect.

We do them in homemade teriyaki sauce as well. I welded up a little izakaya style grill and plumbed it with cast iron pipes with holes drilled that you attach to an air mattress pump. We have little soirees on the back porch, we call it "Come to an Offal Party". We do chicken hearts, beef sweetbreads, tongue, and tripe. First timers are squeamish, but the old timers are all over it. Haven't bought any binchotan charcoal yet, but break up old mesquite stumps that are dried out, have no bark, and have been sitting in a pasture about 25 years, but I have run out.

Chicken hearts make great dog treats as well, at $1.00/lb. I buy our dog about four packs every time I go to the store. He understands if you tell him you are going to give him hearts or string cheese, and races to the fridge.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

We do them in homemade teriyaki sauce as well. I welded up a little izakaya style grill and plumbed it with cast iron pipes with holes drilled that you attach to an air mattress pump. We have little soirees on the back porch, we call it "Come to an Offal Party". We do chicken hearts, beef sweetbreads, tongue, and tripe. First timers are squeamish, but the old timers are all over it. Haven't bought any binchotan charcoal yet, but break up old mesquite stumps that are dried out, have no bark, and have been sitting in a pasture about 25 years, but I have run out.

Chicken hearts make great dog treats as well, at $1.00/lb. I buy our dog about four packs every time I go to the store. He understands if you tell him you are going to give him hearts or string cheese, and races to the fridge.

CHIEF

The Offal Party sounds like something I need to adopt when the Normal Times return.

Well, was able to source some chicken skin. Cobb Creek Farms in Hillsboro is a small semi-free range chicken farm, I emailed them and the owner told me she has two 20 lb. boxes in the freezer. 20 lbs. is a helluva lot more than I wanted, but I'll take it.

CHIEF

19 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

The Chicken Box (RIP) on MLKJr Drive (née Eastside Drive) in Wichita Falls used to sell the “pulley breast”, which I was never quite clear on which part of the chicken that was.  Also great gizzards. 

Probably has the whole wishbone. Back in the day KFC used to have two kinds of breast, one was the side breast and other center breast, or something like that. Weird cut, little pieces.

Edited by DougO

12 minutes ago, DougO said:

Probably has the whole wishbone. Back in the day KFC used to have two kinds of breast, one was the side breast and other center breast, or something like that. Weird cut, little pieces.

Yep, chicken processors no longer make the center breast cut. Think of the pulley bone as your two collar bones meeting and the center as your sternum. Processors used to cut that out separately and breasts were smaller. Today, they don't bother to do it, too much time, and time is money.

CHIEF

37 minutes ago, DougO said:

Keel. 

Back in my Church's day, this is what I ate most of, mainly due to the store on Wm Cannon selling so many breasts. 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Well, was able to source some chicken skin. Cobb Creek Farms in Hillsboro is a small semi-free range chicken farm, I emailed them and the owner told me she has two 20 lb. boxes in the freezer. 20 lbs. is a helluva lot more than I wanted, but I'll take it.

CHIEF

How much per pound?

3 hours ago, Underdog said:

Keel. 

Back in my Church's day, this is what I ate most of, mainly due to the store on Wm Cannon selling so many breasts. 

spacer.png

Church's wings are huge and delicious. Always get wings at Church's, never get wings at Popeye's. It's just a chicken elbow with no meat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

If you're in DFW, Babe's Chicken is the shit.  

That is all.

We have one, here in Granbury. My niece that lived with us worked there for three years. She brought home at least 6-8 pieces a night. Never got tired of it as a late night snack.

CHIEF

• Drool 1

On 1/22/2021 at 6:29 PM, DougO said:

Yeah I remember that. I used to love that little center cut breast. Almost like a little tenderloin without any of the rib portion attached. 

On 1/18/2021 at 12:06 PM, Surly Bevo said:

The skin

On 1/18/2021 at 9:58 PM, Brothahorn said:

I used to eat all the skin off my sister's chicken just to piss her off. 

Even now, if I'm cooking thighs, I will eat the skin first and finish the rest later.

image.gif.e9a7f5a6cf774bec947928d35a5b3a20.gif

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 6:11 PM, Underdog said:

Keel. 

spacer.png

Dad and I were eating at that location, Manchaca/WmCannon, when i was a kid when a student driver drove thru the building.