Urban ordeal, what did UT learn?

crash_davis

Hate to hash up a sore subject but I'm curious because the Sark hirer and everything since feels SO MUCH different than the Strong and Herman hirers. For me the two biggest things that come to mind are the almost absolute lack of leaks and how aligned everyone seems to be, no rumblings of any donor factions or UT Admins being pissed (thank you Tom Herman, this may be your redeeming legacy). It's been posted that Urban was in group chats with boosters and UT Admins. UT Admins met with Urban on multiple occasions. It's been intimated that Urban gave critique of what was wrong with UT football and gave ideas on what was needed for a successful program.

I'm curious if CTJ, Caddox or anyone who knows boosters/admins have heard anything on what Urban told UT boosters and officials because it appears that UT learned a great deal on how to conduct business or what the people with money and decision makers learned from the Strong and Herman failures. Sark's coaching staff may be another big lesson? Maybe Urban said don't fucking cheap out on assistant coaches or let coaches bring in shitty asst coaches and buy the best staff or maybe the donors were tired of coming up with buyout money and decided to pre-empt that shit buy throwing tons of money upfront instead of at the end of another failed regime.

I'm fully expecting this thread to turn to shit as dipshits can't help themselves to talk about shit like fajitas. Hopefully we'll get some nuggets from the bullshit.

• Fuck You 1

What is there to learn? You go after the best candidate available, especially when you know that your job is one of the best in all of college football. If he truly did turn it down and it wasn't just a smokescreen, the admin did exactly what they should have done - go to the next best available candidate that fits your job and has what you're looking for. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

The thing that gets me with Urban is that his motivations and desires are rarely clear (other than desire to win at an obscene). Was it money? Texas? Social issues? Control? Health? Family? The CFB "landscape"? That man can coach, but it always seems like the goalposts were shifting with him.

41 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Hate to hash up a sore subject but I'm curious because the Sark hirer and everything since feels SO MUCH different than the Strong and Herman hirers. For me the two biggest things that come to mind are the almost absolute lack of leaks and how aligned everyone seems to be, no rumblings of any donor factions or UT Admins being pissed (thank you Tom Herman, this may be your redeeming legacy).

So the BBs hated Mensa so much they jumped back into the box by themselves.

56 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Hate to hash up a sore subject but I'm curious because the Sark hirer and everything since feels SO MUCH different than the Strong and Herman hirers. For me the two biggest things that come to mind are the almost absolute lack of leaks and how aligned everyone seems to be, no rumblings of any donor factions or UT Admins being pissed (thank you Tom Herman, this may be your redeeming legacy). It's been posted that Urban was in group chats with boosters and UT Admins. UT Admins met with Urban on multiple occasions. It's been intimated that Urban gave critique of what was wrong with UT football and gave ideas on what was needed for a successful program.

I'm curious if CTJ, Caddox or anyone who knows boosters/admins have heard anything on what Urban told UT boosters and officials because it appears that UT learned a great deal on how to conduct business or what the people with money and decision makers learned from the Strong and Herman failures. Sark's coaching staff may be another big lesson? Maybe Urban said don't fucking cheap out on assistant coaches or let coaches bring in shitty asst coaches and buy the best staff or maybe the donors were tired of coming up with buyout money and decided to pre-empt that shit buy throwing tons of money upfront instead of at the end of another failed regime.

I'm fully expecting this thread to turn to shit as dipshits can't help themselves to talk about shit like fajitas. Hopefully we'll get some nuggets from the bullshit.

I think one thing we confirmed from the bolded part is that CDC knows how to run a professional search.  If you were paying attention to his previous hires since he's been in Austin, you would have already learned this, but a football coaching change is a different animal, of course.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have never bought the line that a coach at UT has any more or less BS to put up with than a coach at any other top 10 program.  

We have enough hundred million to billionaire big money guys that none of them get to call the shots.  And that is an advantage.  The LHN is not BS or a distraction.  It is a weapon none of them have used.

I don't disagree with that but I also don't buy the idea that UT is a place that every coach dreams about being at.  I think for a significant number of coaches the idea of coaching at UT is no more attractive than coaching at any of another dozen or so schools.  Our shit stinks too.  The lifelong fan of any program is always going have a level of emotional investment that's far bigger than any prospective coach. You just can't expect your average coach to be as moved by the lore of Texas football as the rest of us.  It didn't shock me when Urban just decided for whatever reason that he wasn't interested.  There doesn't have to be some big smoking gun type reason.  He just wasn't feeling it the way we all would.  It doesn't mean CDC and the gang did anything wrong.  The guy just wanted to be somewhere else for reasons we don't have to understand.

1 hour ago, Marfa Low Crown said:

I think the administration learned that there are good coaches who do not want to deal with all of our bullshit and there are also good coaches who will. 

Or good coaches who understand they're at the age where they may have one more shot at the pros.  Sometimes it's not us.  

That alignment in leadership matters.  Eltife, Hartzell and CDC all put their names and reputations on this hire publicly.

Also, you can tell it was run within that small group by the lack of leaks.

Attention was paid to the need for a rockstar staff around the head coach.

Eltife's comments in the press conference said a lot.  The ones about UT's commitment to winning at the highest level.

And we got a bit lucky on the hype front with how good the Bama offense looked after the hire.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

The thing that gets me with Urban is that his motivations and desires are rarely clear (other than desire to win at an obscene). Was it money? Texas? Social issues? Control? Health? Family? The CFB "landscape"? That man can coach, but it always seems like the goalposts were shifting with him.

Absolutely.  Like he has to be the playcaller and keep people guessing all the time, in real life, too.  And I wonder if some of that is that there have been things that needed to be kept secret along the way and it's easier and arouses less suspicion if you're just secretive all the time.  Or maybe he just likes the attention or being the only one who knows what's coming next, some type of alpha male control thing.  Or maybe he just used us as leverage to jack up the offer from Jax.  Who knows.

I think we learned what it takes to land truly elite coaches. The kinds of coaches that can fall out of bed and have offers from around the country to come coach for them at top universities. We may have had the revelation about staff hires after watching Urban be so hesitant unless he could assemble the right guys. We also seem to be truly aligned for the first time since I can remember. 

One thing that gets overlooked, especially after the subsequent meltdown of the Sark hire was that maybe just maybe CDC is truly elite at making hires. Everyone lost their shit for a couple of days, and then the tide slowly started turning as details about his plans and staff started coming to light. Then the NC game happened and suddenly we are welcoming the hottest coach in football into the program less than 24 hours after his finest moment on a national stage. The subsequent staff hires of guys like Flood and Banks among others have really put to rest the notion that this wasn't going to work. Then the guy comes in and absolutely nails his presser and the PR tour and suddenly many people are thinking that Sark could be the long term solution for us. I am fully on board the Sark train, and I truly think this was the best possible hire we could have made for the long term success of the program. Culturally he may be a better fit than Meyer, as Meyer can be a prickly guy. Sark seems to have more of a Mack level ability to talk to people and make them feel part of the program. That will help prevent schisms in the donors over time.  

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 2

The guy probably didn't care for having his every move tracked on flightaware or Texas fans blowing up the internet because of what shirt he wore or his goddamn curtains.  Not to mention the creeps bugging his wife on twitter. Creepy ass stalkers... Who wants to come into that environment? 

• Fuck You 4

We’ve learned:

1. The University finally went all in to try and hire a top coach. 

2. That top coach is a giant pussy who made up a bunch of lame ass excuses about not wanting to come to Texas and ran off to the NFL. 

3. The people in charge had a great Plan B and executed it well. 

4. Plan B is probably going to end up better than plan A. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

I do believe that there was I initially serious interest on UM’s part. Once the internet became aware of said interest (thanks Ketch on the flight intel that should not have been written about Eltife’s flight) the Jags threw their hat in the ring. The Meyers love Florida. They also love their pub in Ohio. I think at the end of the day his wife was a bigger factor than people would like to believe she is. In his presser today, Urban stressed over and over how important his marriage is to him. And his two new grand children. He said his kids are now all old enough that he’s not missing out on anything. My two cents. Once the Jags found out UM could be available they sought him out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

there was less to learn from Urban than there was from Tennessee and Auburn and perhaps Michigan

1. Urban was probably never interested in coming here the pressure to win here would have been massive and there are too many issues

A. he is connected to mensa that is an issue from the start and gets the whole "undermined a former assistant"

B. look at where he took over before....Florida had massive expectations, but even back then the expectations were not the same with no playoffs, no Saban, no MASSIVE money and he took over a program that was only 3 years into Zook that had not totally run things into the ground

C. tOSU he moved to a program that was perfect for him, had not been run into the ground at al, and he had some excuses for not winning right off (if that did not happen)

D. at Texas he is taking over a program with the playoffs in place, MASSIVE issues after two failed coaches, connections to mensa and all the other bullshit

that is nowhere close to what he moved into at Florida or even tOSU

why do all of that when he can go to the NFL, have success or failure (like Nick had massive failure) and still be a shit ass hot name for a college coach in a few years....if he had failed to win it all at Texas no one would point to all the issues at Texas they would have simply looked at the end of his career as a failure and said he walked into better situations at Florida and tOSU

2. as for what to learn (and learning it from Tennessee and Auburn)

A. don't send your dickhead boosters and their big fancy plane to interview a coach when you have a coach especially if you have no guarantee you will get the coach you are aiming for and when everyone and their dog will know your big swinging dick G6 was landing to try and hire a coach

B. don't fire a coach when you have no clue who the fuck you might hire and you have no guarantee that your 1st or 2nd choice is a lock to take the job.....all the more so if you are flying your big swinging dick G6 all over the place with everyone knowing it while you fail to fly home with a coach

C. undercut your current coach "on the downlow" and don't tell your loud mouth dickhead boosters about your plans......support him until you have cash in hand, your first or second choice in the bag, and then chop his head off, finalize a deal and start moving on while you call those loud mouth dickheads that talked about money to buy out a coach or hire a new one and tell them their ass better start cashing that check

• Hook 'Em 5

38 minutes ago, JMFP said:

The guy probably didn't care for having his every move tracked on flightaware or Texas fans blowing up the internet because of what shirt he wore or his goddamn curtains.  Not to mention the creeps bugging his wife on twitter. Creepy ass stalkers... Who wants to come into that environment? 

Wife seemed to be loving the attention.  Bottom line is he wanted a shot in the NFL.  Do you blame him?

• Like 1

Like a lot of people I was initially bummed BUT I truly believe we got the right HC. I do. Sark came to play and his heart is in it. That’s what we need. Someone who wants this job and knows why he wants it. We had a great Plan B. Getting excited about the season. We will learn more about Urban and why things didn’t pan out in the coming weeks/months. 

I think Urb knows he was never going to achieve Saban-level success in NCAA, but if he can win a SB or two he would one up Saban & firmly enter the greatest coach of all time discussion.

Hell if he can win 16 games in the NFL, he can claim to be a better NFL coach than Saban.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

longtimelurker called the sark hire way back on dec 14th. others also heard sark was the hire but i think everyone dismissed it at the time thinking no way we settled that low. flight tracker confirmed posters on here saying that this meeting happened and that meeting happened. posters confirmed there was a group text with urban and the shit shut down after all hell broke out that tuesday and wednesday.

so there were people with inside info. just wandering if they want to share what boosters told them about what Urban told UT about the football program and what needed to be done. again from the appearance of the Sark hirer and following events, this shit is definitely different than the last 2 circuses. but it may be all CDC and Hartzell.

just wanted a thread to discuss it. if nothing comes from this, then this thread will die the death it deserves. 

but just in case...