Urban ordeal, what did UT learn?

crash_davis

That no one knew anything and we were all taken for $9.95.  The revisionist history, backtracking and excuse making by every.single.person who made a prediction was just the covering of the asses because they were wrong, lied to, used, whatever.  Not a big deal, that’s just big time sports in 2021   

Sark may have been the first choice all along or he may have only become an option when choices #1-9 said ‘no’.  

No one likely knows aside from CDC, who, for all intensive purposes, did his job admirably.  

2 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

there was less to learn from Urban than there was from Tennessee and Auburn and perhaps Michigan

1. Urban was probably never interested in coming here the pressure to win here would have been massive and there are too many issues

A. he is connected to mensa that is an issue from the start and gets the whole "undermined a former assistant"

B. look at where he took over before....Florida had massive expectations, but even back then the expectations were not the same with no playoffs, no Saban, no MASSIVE money and he took over a program that was only 3 years into Zook that had not totally run things into the ground

C. tOSU he moved to a program that was perfect for him, had not been run into the ground at al, and he had some excuses for not winning right off (if that did not happen)

D. at Texas he is taking over a program with the playoffs in place, MASSIVE issues after two failed coaches, connections to mensa and all the other bullshit

that is nowhere close to what he moved into at Florida or even tOSU

why do all of that when he can go to the NFL, have success or failure (like Nick had massive failure) and still be a shit ass hot name for a college coach in a few years....if he had failed to win it all at Texas no one would point to all the issues at Texas they would have simply looked at the end of his career as a failure and said he walked into better situations at Florida and tOSU

2. as for what to learn (and learning it from Tennessee and Auburn)

A. don't send your dickhead boosters and their big fancy plane to interview a coach when you have a coach especially if you have no guarantee you will get the coach you are aiming for and when everyone and their dog will know your big swinging dick G6 was landing to try and hire a coach

B. don't fire a coach when you have no clue who the fuck you might hire and you have no guarantee that your 1st or 2nd choice is a lock to take the job.....all the more so if you are flying your big swinging dick G6 all over the place with everyone knowing it while you fail to fly home with a coach

C. undercut your current coach "on the downlow" and don't tell your loud mouth dickhead boosters about your plans......support him until you have cash in hand, your first or second choice in the bag, and then chop his head off, finalize a deal and start moving on while you call those loud mouth dickheads that talked about money to buy out a coach or hire a new one and tell them their ass better start cashing that check

Buckeye I work with brought up something interesting.  He said that tosu has never focused on cultivating whale donors to the AD.  Instead, they've created a system of thousands and thousands of relatively small time 2-10K annual donations, which are tied to the right to buy a couple of season tickets.  He brought up the point that tosu just recently received their first ever 8 figure athletic donation, and it barely cracked the threshold at 10M even, which is kind of odd for a school that--checks google--has a 5B+ overall endowment.  Their goal is apparently to remove the influence of Big Cigars who think it's "their" program.  And while I'd guess that they still have some influential boosters, I'd also guess it's nothing similar to our shitshow where boosters feel entitled to start their own rogue coaching searches while the current guy is still employed.  I'd take a wild guess and say that our Big Cigar culture was probably not viewed as a positive, particularly if he was coming from somewhere that limited that as much as it could.  

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Hate to hash up a sore subject but I'm curious because the Sark hirer and everything since feels SO MUCH different than the Strong and Herman hirers. For me the two biggest things that come to mind are the almost absolute lack of leaks and how aligned everyone seems to be, no rumblings of any donor factions or UT Admins being pissed (thank you Tom Herman, this may be your redeeming legacy). It's been posted that Urban was in group chats with boosters and UT Admins. UT Admins met with Urban on multiple occasions. It's been intimated that Urban gave critique of what was wrong with UT football and gave ideas on what was needed for a successful program.

I'm curious if CTJ, Caddox or anyone who knows boosters/admins have heard anything on what Urban told UT boosters and officials because it appears that UT learned a great deal on how to conduct business or what the people with money and decision makers learned from the Strong and Herman failures. Sark's coaching staff may be another big lesson? Maybe Urban said don't fucking cheap out on assistant coaches or let coaches bring in shitty asst coaches and buy the best staff or maybe the donors were tired of coming up with buyout money and decided to pre-empt that shit buy throwing tons of money upfront instead of at the end of another failed regime.

I'm fully expecting this thread to turn to shit as dipshits can't help themselves to talk about shit like fajitas. Hopefully we'll get some nuggets from the bullshit.

1. Lol at the bolded.

2. All Urban wanted to do is fuck with Herman

3. Thats all.

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Hate to hash up a sore subject but I'm curious because the Sark hirer and everything since feels SO MUCH different than the Strong and Herman hirers. For me the two biggest things that come to mind are the almost absolute lack of leaks and how aligned everyone seems to be, no rumblings of any donor factions or UT Admins being pissed (thank you Tom Herman, this may be your redeeming legacy). It's been posted that Urban was in group chats with boosters and UT Admins. UT Admins met with Urban on multiple occasions. It's been intimated that Urban gave critique of what was wrong with UT football and gave ideas on what was needed for a successful program.

I'm curious if CTJ, Caddox or anyone who knows boosters/admins have heard anything on what Urban told UT boosters and officials because it appears that UT learned a great deal on how to conduct business or what the people with money and decision makers learned from the Strong and Herman failures. Sark's coaching staff may be another big lesson? Maybe Urban said don't fucking cheap out on assistant coaches or let coaches bring in shitty asst coaches and buy the best staff or maybe the donors were tired of coming up with buyout money and decided to pre-empt that shit buy throwing tons of money upfront instead of at the end of another failed regime.

I'm fully expecting this thread to turn to shit as dipshits can't help themselves to talk about shit like fajitas. Hopefully we'll get some nuggets from the bullshit.

1. Lol at the bolded.

2. All Urban wanted to do is fuck with Herman

3. Thats all.

1 minute ago, TexasGrunt said:

I read a report that said one of the big reasons he didn't except Texas was college football transfer portal. Didn't want to coach college any longer and have to deal with portal. Report said he wanted NFL job and it mentioned Jacksonville.

the transfer portal is a huge game changer.  its actually worse than NFL free agency if you are a coach.

Not sure but TBH, long term this looks to be a better situation or at least has the potential to be. No way Urban's staff would have been better than what we will have under Sark IMHO. This very well could lead to a 15-20 year run of greatness. The possibility of a Sark hire intrigued me for the very reasons we are seeing now. I never really cared much for Urban but knew he would be a sure thing. Urban saying no may have made us better than we ever could have been under him. History will be the judge.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Your Mom said:

but I also don't buy the idea that UT is a place that every coach dreams about being at.  I think for a significant number of coaches the idea of coaching at UT is no more attractive than coaching at any of another dozen or so schools.  Our shit stinks too. 

Miracle On 34Th Street Christmas Movies GIF by filmeditor

I think Urb knows he was never going to achieve Saban-level success in NCAA, but if he can win a SB or two he would one up Saban & firmly enter the greatest coach of all time discussion.

He’s hiring Scott Linehan, Chris Ash and Chuck Strong. Urban, Ash and Strong have coached the same number of days in the NFL that I have — zero. He’s not off to a strong start.

13 hours ago, Machinator said:

The thing that gets me with Urban is that his motivations and desires are rarely clear (other than desire to win at an obscene). Was it money? Texas? Social issues? Control? Health? Family? The CFB "landscape"? That man can coach, but it always seems like the goalposts were shifting with him.

FWIW we went through this in 2004.  The rumors said UM wanted 10 exemptions from ND's somewhat strict admissions standards and a vague 'have a say' in disciplinary decisions.  Neither one of those was realistic so many felt Urban was not negotiation in good faith. 

andtherestishistory

14 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the transfer portal is a huge game changer.  its actually worse than NFL free agency if you are a coach.

If it hurt the bigger programs, it wouldn't exist.

21 hours ago, crash_davis said:

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

15 hours ago, Lenny Hornridge said:

Buckeye I work with brought up something interesting.  He said that tosu has never focused on cultivating whale donors to the AD.  Instead, they've created a system of thousands and thousands of relatively small time 2-10K annual donations, which are tied to the right to buy a couple of season tickets.  He brought up the point that tosu just recently received their first ever 8 figure athletic donation, and it barely cracked the threshold at 10M even, which is kind of odd for a school that--checks google--has a 5B+ overall endowment.  Their goal is apparently to remove the influence of Big Cigars who think it's "their" program.  And while I'd guess that they still have some influential boosters, I'd also guess it's nothing similar to our shitshow where boosters feel entitled to start their own rogue coaching searches while the current guy is still employed.  I'd take a wild guess and say that our Big Cigar culture was probably not viewed as a positive, particularly if he was coming from somewhere that limited that as much as it could.  

I don’t think urban was a rogue search though.  The admin wanted him.  He just wanted a shot at the nfl.  Let’s see where we are in 2025

10 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Not sure but TBH, long term this looks to be a better situation or at least has the potential to be. No way Urban's staff would have been better than what we will have under Sark IMHO. This very well could lead to a 15-20 year run of greatness. The possibility of a Sark hire intrigued me for the very reasons we are seeing now. I never really cared much for Urban but knew he would be a sure thing. Urban saying no may have made us better than we ever could have been under him. History will be the judge.

I am pretty much on the same page here. Meyer would have stepped in with immediate respect and gotten a very solid class, and on field performance would have been there. But for how long?  IF, and it's ALWAYS AN IF! We can get the ball rolling with Sark it could indeed be a much longer term affair.  His staff thus far looks to be more than solid, and I honestly think the adversity is. huge plus.  Most importantly I think Sark at Texas is going to be viewed by recruits going forward as a guy they might really want to play for. 

It is interesting to me in that I actually view Strong to Herman to Sark as a progression.  I always worried about Strong primarily because I knew that a lot of the big money guys were not big on a black coach, and even less so for a black coach with a white wife (IMHO)I do know the big cigars were never fully behind Strong, My progression for the strong hire was that maybe just maybe we would start playing some strong defense again. Alienating Texas high school coaches and not enough wins doomed him. With Herman I felt like he inherited a solid team, and would institute the sort of "culture" where upperclassmen team leadership became a staple. Coaches need player leaders, they do NOT have time to lead and coach. The progression to Sark is that we have an even more solid team personnel wise. And I guess my wish for "the Sark progression" is that we start getting a real strong look from more Offensive Linemen.  If we can ever get to the point where our OL is RS- Juniors and above... the skill players will line up behind them.  Herman actually got damn close, but close ain't good enough around here.  

I think Sark is gonna take advantage of what he is inheriting and going to add another progression on top of what we have.  I honestly think his secret weapon is his past.  

Edited by horn4life

3 hours ago, slorch said:

If it hurt the bigger programs, it wouldn't exist.

it exists because the NCAA doesn't want to get sued.  that said, the big programs don't care but it is a pain in the ass for the head coach.  you can alleviate some of it by increasing staff to manage more of it.  no head coach wants the unknown of what his roster is going to look like every 6 months.

certainly some HC's are going to handle it better than others.

I learned that it's great to dream big and have fun. I think everyone knew it wasn't happening when Herman wasn't fired immediately after the Iowa State Game etc. We were very very well briefed by those I the know who said there would only be mere hours between the firing and hiring. I also learned that Texas isn't a job you think about taking if offered and if you have to think about it this isn't the job for you. 

22 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

I think we learned that an NFL job for the shittiest team in the league is more enticing than any CFB job

No nagging BCs or other busybodies plus the money is pretty damn good.  Granted there will be the owner Shahid Khan who probably thinks he really knows better how to run a football franchise.  Then there’s Florida.  

I think we learned that Urban Meyer is the same cut throat scum bag we always assumed he was when he wasn't a candidate.  That he used our interest to likely provide air cover for assistant discussions for the Jacksonville job he already had a line on with the owner and to create or have his agent create leverage on the money side.  He had his opportunity and is now dead to me.  I hope he flames out in the NFL and Sark is a home run.  We'll see.  

This is a gigantic load of bullshit.