Learn me on rowing machines

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 11:45 AM, Superhero said:

Converting part of my garage into a small gym - about 10'x8' worth of space. I'm on the Concept 2 waitlist, but realized it's > 9', and you have to take it apart to store.

Criteria are:

• Folding
  • $1,000 or less
  • ... what's better? Water rower? Fan? Magnetic?

If you are still looking, I have a ~4yo Concept 2 that I barely used.  Shortly after buying it, I suffered a disk injury from cycling, and can no longer row without pain.  It is in like new condition.  I would love to see it go to a good home rather than sit in the corner of my spare room, and would gladly make you a good deal. 

As I recall, you aren't in Austin, so this likely won't work.  If I'm wrong, or if anyone else is interested, shoot me a PM.     

4 hours ago, idigTexas said:

If you are still looking, I have a ~4yo Concept 2 that I barely used.  Shortly after buying it, I suffered a disk injury from cycling, and can no longer row without pain.  It is in like new condition.  I would love to see it go to a good home rather than sit in the corner of my spare room, and would gladly make you a good deal. 

As I recall, you aren't in Austin, so this likely won't work.  If I'm wrong, or if anyone else is interested, shoot me a PM.     

Ouch, hope your back gets better. Is there other exercises you can do without feeling pain?

Unfortunately I'm on the west coast so it wouldn't work.

After doing some research, it was between the Merax Water Rower and the Waterrower Natural. I'm going with the Waterrower Natural since the company is dedicated to building water rowers instead of a bunch of other stuff. It's a tad higher than my budget, but close enough. Now just waiting for the local store to get it in stock.

image.png.349b020b1d54420808b8b737d3a1c719.png

https://www.waterrower.com/us/natural-rowing-machine.html

On 1/25/2021 at 5:40 PM, 4HE said:

The concept 2 is super easy to separate to store. Like 5 seconds and you’re done. 

watch this look here GIF by Paul McCartney

Don't waste your time on anything else or anymore expensive...   Concept 2's are costly enough and in high demand thanks to Covid and garage gyms being the thing..  But yes I see on sites like Rogue fitness there is a wait list.   Ebay has some listed from $1000 to $1300.     Dang.....

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

watch this look here GIF by Paul McCartney

Don't waste your time on anything else or anymore expensive...   Concept 2's are costly enough and in high demand thanks to Covid and garage gyms being the thing..  But yes I see on sites like Rogue fitness there is a wait list.   Ebay has some listed from $1000 to $1300.     Dang.....

I'm on the Concept 2 waitlist, and my projected order date is early February. I've seen video of someone who just pivoted it into a standing position, which is great because I wouldn't need to separate it.

The issue I have now is the size. I have exactly 9' to work with, and the Model D might be too long. I'll measure it again, but I may be limited to something smaller.

Are ya'll using these along with other equipment or is this your main method of cardio/exercise?

I use this as my morning wake up. I row 20 minutes or so while watching the last of the morning news (6:40 - 7am). I also cycle on the weekends. My main exercise is functional body building.
If I could dial in my eating habits, I’d be in better shape. It’s a process, but it’s coming along. I’m back down to 223 from 230 after the holidays.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, KYHorn said:Are ya'll using these along with other equipment or is this your main method of cardio/exercise?

I do this instead of running/jogging.  I’m 49 and my knees aren’t getting younger.  I tend to speed up and slow down when I run, so I get a more consistent cardio workout on the rower which translates into a nice calorie burn. Plus I get some good arm and core motion which loosens me up for weights if my workout of the day consists of some weights.  Occasionally I’ll just do a 30  row on a weight rest day to see how many meters I can rack up

I do however want to start road cycling to do something else for cardio. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 8:28 PM, Goofyboy said:

I use this as my morning wake up. I row 20 minutes or so while watching the last of the morning news (6:40 - 7am). I also cycle on the weekends. My main exercise is functional body building.
If I could dial in my eating habits, I’d be in better shape. It’s a process, but it’s coming along. I’m back down to 223 from 230 after the holidays.

I know this is about rowing but I swear what worked for me is intermittent fasting. I just eat everything between noon and 8:00 p.m.  I'm 6'5" and was 210 .lbs ... not fat but my abdomen was really getting that middle aged spread. Started intermittent fasting and lost 25 pounds no sweat. Now I'm at 190, lean, and see my abs returning. Feel great. No dieting. I eat what I want. Just go 16 hours a day without eating. 

• Like 1

So I ordered a Waterrower today and should be able to pick it up sometime next week.

I'm sure the Concept 2 is a fantastic machine - and it also won't fit in the space I have, and breaking it apart everyday to put away would mean I wouldn't use it as often.

Coincidentally, I got an email from Concept 2 today saying I'm next on the waitlist. If any of you want to order it, I could let you have my spot in line for a few Best Buy coupons.

On 2/9/2021 at 12:30 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

I know this is about rowing but I swear what worked for me is intermittent fasting. I just eat everything between noon and 8:00 p.m.  I'm 6'5" and was 210 .lbs ... not fat but my abdomen was really getting that middle aged spread. Started intermittent fasting and lost 25 pounds no sweat. Now I'm at 190, lean, and see my abs returning. Feel great. No dieting. I eat what I want. Just go 16 hours a day without eating. 

Wow, I haven't met many people with the same body structure as me, but this is about as close as you can get. I'm 6'5 195 and despitethe fact that I still look real thin on the limbs (there's not much of a way around that), it seems most new COVID weight is accumulating in the belly

29 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Bought a Water Rower used for around $700 I think and we like it. Looks nice, is simple to use, and gives a hell of a workout. I'd definitely try to find one used although not sure what the market is like in the pandemic world.

Just saw you ordered new so that works too.

Do you know which rower you got? 

• Fuck You 1

On 2/10/2021 at 6:17 AM, KYHorn said:

Wow, I haven't met many people with the same body structure as me, but this is about as close as you can get. I'm 6'5 195 and despitethe fact that I still look real thin on the limbs (there's not much of a way around that), it seems most new COVID weight is accumulating in the belly

That's me. But I swear the only change I made was eating all of my calories between noon and 8 p.m.   My ex-gf did it and got the same results after trying every kind of diet under the sun. There are also reportedly longevity benefits. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 9:15 PM, Goofyboy said:

I have a water rower. I have only had to replace the seat wheels once. It is quiet and stores upright. I’ll take a pic of it in my gym tomorrow.

https://www.waterrower.com/us/shop/natural-rowing-machine.html

What's your water level? I filled it to 17 (which they use to calibrate the monitor). As an out of shape 5'7" 152 lb guy, it is an absolute beating.

On day 1, I was winded after 10 minutes.

On day 2, I got through 25 minutes (200kCal) and I my lats are hating me. 

What's your water level? I filled it to 17 (which they use to calibrate the monitor). As an out of shape 5'7" 152 lb guy, it is an absolute beating.
On day 1, I was winded after 10 minutes.
On day 2, I got through 25 minutes (200kCal) and I my lats are hating me. 

I filled to half. Whatever that is.

On 2/11/2021 at 9:25 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

That's me. But I swear the only change I made was eating all of my calories between noon and 8 p.m.   My ex-gf did it and got the same results after trying every kind of diet under the sun. There are also reportedly longevity benefits. 

What is your age?  I am now 54.  I did IF summer before last and it was part of a weight loss "program" for me that had me go down from 190 to 180 over the summer, but that was also with a whole lot of exercise ( light cross fit and ton of rock climbing).  The not eating part was easy, but the result seemed a little slow given the caloric output.  A kick ass "12 pack" weight for me is about 175 so I might have been bumping up against those hard to lose lbs.

My weight gain back to 200 has resulted in some rock climbing injuries that have left me without many exercise options so i am looking to my diet more, which is not my style at all.  I prefer a moderate low carb diet with high activity which allows for more alcohol consumption. 

BTW, I hate rowers, treadmills, stationary bikes, and ellipticals except for 5 minutes of warm ups.  Although with my injuries a rower would probably be a good option.

• 1 month later...