2021 Texas Softball

Machinator

8 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

She’s done. Read the second paragraph. CoVid is just a smokescreen. She’s in love and ready to move on with her life.

Yep. They posted a nice tweet thanking her for her career 

8 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

She’s done. Read the second paragraph. CoVid is just a smokescreen. She’s in love and ready to move on with her life.

That was my first thought as well, but I didn't know the reason. The vaccine should be widely available for everyone before the softball season ends, and she's not leaving the door open to come back this season. That was what made me go hmmmm

16 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

I think you're right.  From her IG, it looks like she has a new SO (a chick - thought she used to date dudes) and it seems like her head may not be in the softball world right now.  

16 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I think you're right.  From her IG, it looks like she has a new SO (a chick - thought she used to date dudes) and it seems like her head may not be in the softball world right now.  

Yeah she was dating a guy from the football team for a while. Well, best of luck to her and her partner

42 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Well, shit.  My excitement for this season just went from 10 to maybe a 4.

It does suck.

But I am really excited because Ryleigh White was an elite prospect and we get to see her a lot now.  

Shea and Day were a combined 11-0 with a 1.49 ERA in 77.2 IP with 55K to 9 walks.  So it's not like we are starting over. 

Offense is going to have to pick up the slack, I'd guess.  I'm fine with that - Burke, Jefferson, Rhodes, Day, Sullivan, Iakopo, Washington.  Still a legit lineup. 

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It does suck.

But I am really excited because Ryleigh White was an elite prospect and we get to see her a lot now.  

Shea and Day were a combined 11-0 with a 1.49 ERA in 77.2 IP with 55K to 9 walks.  So it's not like we are starting over. 

Offense is going to have to pick up the slack, I'd guess.  I'm fine with that - Burke, Jefferson, Rhodes, Day, Sullivan, Iakopo, Washington.  Still a legit lineup. 

I figured with Elish we would be on the short list of NC favorites.  Now, not so much.  Maybe on the "Others with a shot" list.

Would you agree?

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

I figured with Elish we would be on the short list of NC favorites.  Now, not so much.  Maybe on the "Others with a shot" list.

Would you agree?

Yes.  We were probably preseason top 3 with Elish. Maybe even the Big 12 favorites.

I'd say we are now firmly in the 9-11 territory - should be a super regional team, easily, and could make it to OKC depending on how our pitching develops and who we get matched up with.

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yes.  We were probably preseason top 3 with Elish. Maybe even the Big 12 favorites.

I'd say we are now firmly in the 9-11 territory - should be a super regional team, easily, and could make it to OKC depending on how our pitching develops and who we get matched up with.

Yeah, yeah...

source.gif

Piecing together the non-conf schedule, hopefully will be up soon (Big 12 hasn't announced the conference schedule yet)

• February 12-14 is the Texas Classic - Alabama, Arizona, Colorado State (I know we play Alabama on the 12th and 13th)
  • February 19-21 is the Tracy Beard College Classic in Frisco - Tarleton State, UNT, TAMUCC
  • March 5-6 - @ LSU (2 on Friday, 1 on Saturday) 
  • March 16 - McNeese State
  • March 26-28 Texas Tournament - South Dakota State and TBD other teams

Texas is #6 in the first NFCA Coaches Poll.  Sure wish we had a damn schedule to see who we play.

From who we may play:

Arizona #3

OU #4

LSU #5

Alabama #8

Louisiana #9

OK State #11

Baylor #22

Also Cassie Roche (Texas Lutheran transfer) is off the roster.  Thought she could potentially start at SS, so I guess we are back to figuring out that position AGAIN.  With Slack gone, I don't even know.   Corona/Parker/Tedder until someone wins the job, I guess? 

God, I miss Taylor Thom.  Our last true, really damn good SS.  Revolving door since.  

Edited by Js1

On 1/22/2021 at 3:37 PM, Js1 said:

Piecing together the non-conf schedule, hopefully will be up soon (Big 12 hasn't announced the conference schedule yet)

• February 12-14 is the Texas Classic - Alabama, Arizona, Colorado State (I know we play Alabama on the 12th and 13th)
  • February 19-21 is the North Texas Tournament - UNT, Kansas, South Dakota State
  • March 5-6 - @ LSU (2 on Friday, 1 on Saturday) 
  • March 16 - @ McNeese State
  • March 26-28 Texas Tournament - UTSA, UT Arlington, South Dakota
  • March 10 - UNT
  • March 17 - @ ULL (double header)
  • April 9-11 @ ISU
  • April 23-25 Kansas

The UNT tournament has been updated, we go on the road to McNeese and the Texas Tournament teams have been updated.

Added in a ULL doubleheader and 2 of our conference opponents. 

Wow what an opening slate and full schedule, I like it - 

2/11 #3 Arizona
2/12 and 2/13 #8 Alabama

2/17 (RV) UNT

2/19 (RV) UNT

2/27 #20 Miss St

3/5 @ #5 LSU
3/6 (DH) @ #5 LSU

3/17 (DH) #9 Louisiana

4/1-3 (RV) Texas Tech

4/16-18 @ #4 OU

4/30-5/2 #11 Ok State

5/7 #22 Baylor
5/8-9 @ #22 Baylor

All together, it is 8 ranked foes and 2 more receiving votes.  18 games against top 25 opponents - 11 against top 10 teams. 

AAS interview with Kaitlyn Washington (lengthy, excerpts below).    Losing Miranda and the Covid dilemma will test the team's spirit and mentality, especially early.  Hopefully,  the pitching staff will inspire confidence and team leaders like Kaitlyn will excel and motivate.

As @perfectchaos007 mentions weather above,  70%a chance of rain Thurs,  high in the 40's all weekend,  10-13mph North wind.  

What was your reaction to Miranda's decision to opt out of this season?

I definitely felt a lot of emotions given that me and Miranda have definitely gotten closer with her being here. I didn't have any doubts in the team when she was leaving. I was going to support her through her decision and everything. 

But as the team goes, I still have faith in this team. I don't think we'll be hurt too much by it. I think we have people that are going to be able to step up and (take advantage of the) opportunities. We have a lot of veterans on the team as well that have been here. I was a little shocked and hurt, but I always want to support her.

What is your confidence level in the pitchers that this team still does have?

I'm very confident in our pitching staff for sure. We've been scrimmaging over the past couple weeks and they've been looking really strong. Shea (O'Leary) brings a lot to the table, she did awesome from previous years. Ryleigh (White's) going to be a really good new face for us, she has some good stuff. So does Molly (Jacobsen) as well, we've played against her in the past and now we have her. But yeah, I think they're gonna be fine. We're gonna use them as a staff and they're going to do good this year.

What are some of the team's strengths?

Some strengths are definitely on the offensive side. We had a really good start of the season last year. I feel like we built upon that a lot just this fall and this spring so far. Definitely our offense is a strength. Our team chemistry, we're trying to build that up as well and I think it's come along pretty well so far. Still building on that, it's just hard with all this COVID, we can't really hang out outside of softball and trying to know everybody. We've definitely come a long way with the team chemistry as well.

Who is a younger player who's going to take that next step this season?

Alyssa Popelka. She has really come out of her shell. Her slapping, her hitting has been looking really good. Her outfield work has been great. She's the fastest girl on the team. She's been working really hard just this fall season and this spring season. So definitely Pop is someone to be on the lookout for.

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/softball/2021/02/09/texas-softball-kaitlyn-washington-returns-ut-season/4445626001/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm very intrigued by this year's team.

Pitching

Having a very experienced player like Jacobsen will be an asset, especially someone who pitched against SEC teams for 2 years. She's had some good wins in her Ole Miss tenure and her one full year was 2.15 ERA and 166 strikeouts.  

I hope Shea gets back to her freshman form - she's had a lot of rest with the COVID-cancelled season - she was National Freshman Pitcher of the Year (Softball America) and had a 0.65 ERA.  I remember her win @ Tennessee - I was so excited.  Her ERA of almost 2 last year was not great, even though she had have two good outings against Michigan and ULL.  Most pitchers struggle in year two once teams have a full book on her and she just got an offseason+ with Mike White, so I'm excited

Courtney Day will be a really good #3 - that was an impressive early career.  Big hopes for her

Expecting big things out of Ryleigh White - she was so highly rated

Offense

Other than losing Elish, still super excited by what is coming back and should be an excellent offense with a full offseason+ with Singleton, who did good things with this offense to start off last season

Burke was on fire last year
Jefferson is always solid- she was hitting .554 when the season ended
Rhodes/Iakopo/Day are back, who supplied a lot of power
Kaitlyn Washington is back too
Ellsworth should be fully healthy
Expecting a better season from Sullivan too

Defense

I feel solid at almost every position but am worried about starting a freshman at SS - but we shall see.  Our third OF spot should be the easiest to fill with Hathaway gone.  I think Texas will be able to rotate the DP with the catcher depth we have - Sullivan and Ellsworth can get rest because we have Marder who can also catch. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Obviously Mike White doesn't care what I have to say, but my rotation this weekend would be:

Thurs - #3 Arizona - O'Leary

Fri - #8 Alabama - Jacobsen

Sat - Colorado State - Day

Sat - #8 Alabama - O'Leary

Sun - Sam Houston State - White

They can probably fit it in Sunday, depending on travel rules? 

It was the only game of the day today. 

Friday has game times of 10:30/1/3:30/6 so they could try to sneak in an 8:30 game - Arizona would play a Friday night DH and Texas would have a break after their 3:30 game with Bama. 

Saturday has 10:30/1/3:30/6/8:30 - so no chance of sneaking in this game on Saturday

Sunday has 10/12:30, so depending on travel rules, they could fit it in after the CSU/Bama game. 

If you need a softball fix,   Kansas vs LSU tonight, 7PM, SECN.   As of now game is on,  temp forecast 40 degrees at gametime.

As many know,  Kansas head coach is Jennifer McFalls (former Texas asst coach) and Kaitlyn Slack (former Texas player) is a grad asst.   Kansas dropped a DH to McNeese yesterday 9-8, 6-5.

Most of the B12 games have been cancelled (schedule below).  Very, very unfortunate the Texas Classic had to be cancelled.   What an outstanding lineup of teams (Ala, Az, Colo St, SHSU).  MsSt, Ole Miss, UH, UConn, and Lamar are scheduled in town 26-28 Feb but what a bummer not to see Ala, Az, Colo St, and Sam. 

https://big12sports.com/calendar.aspx?path=softball

Seeing as no one posted anything - the UNT game has been postponed and this weekend's tournament is cancelled. 

Texas has lost its first 10 games of the season to weather.  That's normally a fucking B1G problem. 

I GUESS we'll be opening the season against Sam Houston on February 26 for the Lone Star Invitational with Sam, Lamar, Miss St., UConn and Ole Miss.