2021 Texas Softball

Machinator

7 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I hate the fact that the World Series is basically a home game for OU. They need to rotate the location. They'll get to sleep in their own beds. Not even mentioning the huge partisan crowd.

I feel like it gives OU a recruiting advantage as well. Play for the school where the world series venue is just a few miles away and you'll have defacto home games should you make it to the final 8 (which they do most seasons)

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I hate the fact that the World Series is basically a home game for OU. They need to rotate the location. They'll get to sleep in their own beds. Not even mentioning the huge partisan crowd.

I think that as well, but digging into stats doesn’t bear it out, sort of. They have been to the WCWS 13 times, 6 times in the final game, losing twice (2012 to Bama and 2019 to UCLA). So 7 times they didn’t make it all the way, even though they had “home field advantage”. But the stadium was way smaller in 2000 when they won the first one. And Patty definitely does use it as a recruiting tool. With the massive seating additions over time, I can’t help but think it sways the game. Just my $.02.

Ehh, it’s no different than Nebraska making the CWS, and I believe the NCAA track championships are alway at Oregon. 

Ou has a great program and a great coach who has built that program.  I think they won in 2000 and didn’t start getting back to the championship game again until 2012.  Gasso found something (whatever it was) since 2012 and they’ve just been rolling.

Does being in okc help?  It doesn’t hurt.  Would anyone here want the tournament moved out of San Antonio if Texas had won 4-5 NCs there in the last 10 years?

17 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Ehh, it’s no different than Nebraska making the CWS, and I believe the NCAA track championships are alway at Oregon. 

Ou has a great program and a great coach who has built that program.  I think they won in 2000 and didn’t start getting back to the championship game again until 2012.  Gasso found something (whatever it was) since 2012 and they’ve just been rolling.

Does being in okc help?  It doesn’t hurt.  Would anyone here want the tournament moved out of San Antonio if Texas had won 4-5 NCs there in the last 10 years?

2000 (won), 01, 02, 03, and 04, 11, 12, 13 (won), 14, 16 (won), 17 (won), 18, 19

They definitely have picked it up over the last 10 years. 

47 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

2pm on a weekday is a horrible time for a national championship game. No reason why they can’t play this evening 

Pancho already laid it out - NBA on ESPN and Track Championships.  ESPN and ESPN2 are occupied.

It could go on ESPNU, but apparently high school lacrosse > the softball national champ game.   Plus I think ESPNU is not always included in basic packages, so there'd be even more bitching about it being on a channel people don't get.

Edited by Js1

Plus recall the original schedule was for Mon-Wed.   They had to push it back a day because both semifinals games went to winner take all AND weather.

Side note, this is the first time since the champ series was introduced (2005) that every single game was played in the WCWS - both if-necessary semifinals and a game 3 of the champ series.  I think the NCAA and tournament organizer was caught flat footed.

My hope is that starting in 2022, NCAA rebuilds the schedule:

Thursday - everyone plays
Friday - winners play
Saturday - losers play
Sunday - semifinals
Monday - any if necessary semifinals, or start the champ series this day
Tuesday-Thurs - champ series (Mon-Wed if no semifinals are required on Monday)

Also builds in room for weather delays. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I legit cannot understand how OU is this good at hitting. 

With all of the attention on Covid,  suppose the NCAA is still drug testing tournament teams.    Specifically,  adderall which increases focus.

I may need a dose myself for the euphoria side effect after this game.

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

Pancho already laid it out - NBA on ESPN and Track Championships.  ESPN and ESPN2 are occupied.

It could go on ESPNU, but apparently high school lacrosse > the softball national champ game.   Plus I think ESPNU is not always included in basic packages, so there'd be even more bitching about it being on a channel people don't get.

Just put it on ABC tonight at 7:00.....simple...imho.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I legit cannot understand how OU is this good at hitting. 

OU 1-0 on a solo HR

Ou is a very good hitting team...better than FS...I think pitchers wear down during the tournament, so ou has now seen everybody FS has and knows how to approach them....OU has two really good pitchers and FS doesn’t....so, advantage to the hitters over 3 days of seeing each other.  FS is good.....just a hair less than ou.  I think ou can be beat with a really good pitcher that they haven’t seen as much.  Just my opinion.  Fuck ou.

3 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Ou is a very good hitting team...better than FS...I think pitchers wear down during the tournament, so ou has now seen everybody FS has and knows how to approach them....OU has two really good pitchers and FS doesn’t....so, advantage to the hitters over 3 days of seeing each other.  FS is good.....just a hair less than ou.  I think ou can be beat with a really good pitcher that they haven’t seen as much.  Just my opinion.  Fuck ou.

In a one game series, yes. No one has beaten them twice. 

OU and FSU are night and day in terms of hitting teams. OU hits it out, FSU gets runners on and hits them in.

It’s impossible to get an out if the ball leaves the yard. 

Edited by Js1

OU Softball and Baylor WBB - putting a damper on every other team in the Big 12 since the early 2000s. 

This is why players like Jada Coleman (The Colony, Texas) go to OU and players like Jocelyn Alo fly past legit ball clubs in UCLA and Arizona to go to Norman, Oklahoma.

Le sigh.  Will we ever be able to compete with OU again? 

Patty will continue recruiting stud freshman pitchers and then recruit over them via the portal. 

Some school needs to fire their coach and hire JT Gasso, unless Patty calls it quits and has him take over.  She's 59 - but Candrea retired at 63 and Harris Champer just retired at 53.  Connie Clark was, what, 52 when she called it quits? 

7 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

Who are the transfers to keep an eye on besides Trautwein, Brito and Sides? Are there expected to be any more transfers out besides Adams and Tedder?

Pitcher from the other UT - Callie Turner

Logan Newton (OF) from JMU is in the portal too 

Those are 2 big needs. I’m mainly focusing on pitchers and outfielders. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just saw that Ellsworth is in the portal - must be grad transferring somewhere.  Totally understandable and no hard feelings, she came in a year early to Texas and played her guts out.

OU's Brooke Vestal is in the portal - another Gasso pitching recruit who got recruited over via transfers for 3 years and finally bolted.  OU has 5 players in the portal now (Vestal, Koeltzow, the Flores sisters, Paige Knight).   

Their incoming class is currently something like 6 pitchers, so I really hope that Hope doesn't look at them and want to go there.  Texas really only has Shea, Ryleigh and Sophia.  

On 6/14/2021 at 4:34 PM, Js1 said:

Their incoming class is currently something like 6 pitchers, so I really hope that Hope doesn't look at them and want to go there.  Texas really only has Shea, Ryleigh and Sophia.  

Sorry to tell you, Trautlein committed to blOU today.

From their signees, Jordan Bahl is a pitcher (and is a badass) who can hit also.  Emmy Guthrie is a pitcher who will never pitch.  Those are the only to pitchers they signed.  Trautlein, Bahl and May will be the main 3.

Good ole Gasso. Brings in another transfer Pitcher - 3 recruited OU pitchers are now transferring.  If I’m a HS pitcher, why bother with OU? Gasso will recruit over you in a heartbeat and stunt your development.  

You wasted 1-2 (or 3 for Vestal) years for a shot and got no playing time. Sure you have a ring, but you didn’t do anything to help get that ring.

Edited by Js1