All Encompassing Mortgage and Real Estate Thread

UTPhil2006

27 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Looks like average 30-year mortgage offering has dropped from 3.82% on 2/18 to 3.37% today.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/mortgages/mortgage-rates

We're closer to 3.5, unless that factors in FHA as well into that 30 year calculation.  FHA deals are around 3.00 even could go to 2.875

Wtlivingfuck is a listing agent trying to pull with slipping in a $700 “broker admin fee” in addition to the % commission? This is in Tx, and I’m semi foolishly agreeing to 6% as it’s a starter home price level (that’s what I tell myself to feel better). But seriously with the bullshit admin fee?!?

Wtlivingfuck is a listing agent trying to pull with slipping in a $700 “broker admin fee” in addition to the % commission? This is in Tx, and I’m semi foolishly agreeing to 6% as it’s a starter home price level (that’s what I tell myself to feel better). But seriously with the bullshit admin fee?!?

What a bunch of bullshit. Tell em to fuck off.

Thanks for confirmation, House is in FW.

When I asked wtf that fee was I got “That covers the transaction coordinator, contract review and administrative costs. It’s standard on all our listings”. There’s also a “refund picture cost” add on if I terminate the listing which I told him was bullshit too... starting to think I need to find somebody else.

1 hour ago, bluto said:

When I asked wtf that fee was I got “That covers the transaction coordinator, contract review and administrative costs. It’s standard on all our listings”. There’s also a “refund picture cost” add on if I terminate the listing which I told him was bullshit too... starting to think I need to find somebody else.

What in the..

Not only do we not charge that, we usually pay for the pictures ourselves as a thank you for the business 

I take a listing (usually at 5%) I pay for EVERYTHING. Fuck, I even pay to de clutter, have the clutter carefully packed and stored, and a maid service for the house.

Of course I pay for photos including drone shots.

“It’s standard on our listings”? Tell the motherfucker that it isn’t standard on your listing.

If you need to find somebody else, I’m happy to help you do so and I will even rebate half the referral fee to you

2 hours ago, bluto said:

So, if this guy sucks so bad that you wish to cancel, he's got it set up so you cover his out-of-pocket?  Sounds like he's been down this road before.  I give all of my clients the right to cancel the listing at any time for any reason.  I tell them that if they're not happy with my work, they are free to find somebody else.  Nobody has ever cancelled on me.  I've fired a few clients, but none have ever fired me. 

My recommendation is to run as fast as you can away from this guy.

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

I take a listing (usually at 5%) I pay for EVERYTHING. Fuck, I even pay to de clutter, have the clutter carefully packed and stored, and a maid service for the house.

Of course I pay for photos including drone shots.

“It’s standard on our listings”? Tell the motherfucker that it isn’t standard on your listing.

If you need to find somebody else, I’m happy to help you do so and I will even rebate half the referral fee to you

What happens if you don't sell the house?  If you don't charge the cost back, then I'd like you to put my house up for sale at about 2X what it is worth, it could use a good cleaning!

@UTPhil2006

Looks like we're going to close on the ReFi tonight.  Danna and Thad were a huge help finding a lender with a good rate for my AirBnB ReFi.  We've got 2 bookings ready to go for next week already.  We had a third - SIXTEEN 18 year old males...AirBnB actually ended up canceling their account over "quality concerns."  Anyway, glad we're going to finally get this up and running.  I need a break from house rehabbing.

One other thing Phil - do y'all have any ability to control who buys your loans?  Chase took over our primary residence loan that we took out ~6 years ago.  Coincidentally, they ended up taking over the ReFi we did with y'all last year about 2 months after the ReFi, and not long after they took over the first loan.  They have been a pain in the ass to deal with.  They are terrible keeping up with insurance.  After my insurance company sent them docs last year, they kept sending me "please send proof of coverage or we're going to buy insurance" messages.  So I sent them in myself, talked to them on the phone, and everything was good as of October.  Well, out of the blue in February they just put a huge charge on my escrow account because they think they don't have proof again...JFC they have been a headache.  

• Like 1

So I bought a new house in October 2019. My lender didn't pay my property taxes from escrow on time. I noticed about a week before the January 31 deadline, and contacted the mortgage company to ask what was up. They said my taxes should have been paid at closing in October 2019...wtf? Property tax bills weren't even out in October. 

Anyways, after a little runaround I got them to submit the payment and it was credited to my account on Jan 31, 2020. 

I took standard deduction for 2019, but if I was itemizing, this woulda screwed me out of a few grand in deductions. Would I have had any recourse?

8 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

What happens if you don't sell the house?  If you don't charge the cost back, then I'd like you to put my house up for sale at about 2X what it is worth, it could use a good cleaning!

@UTPhil2006

Looks like we're going to close on the ReFi tonight.  Danna and Thad were a huge help finding a lender with a good rate for my AirBnB ReFi.  We've got 2 bookings ready to go for next week already.  We had a third - SIXTEEN 18 year old males...AirBnB actually ended up canceling their account over "quality concerns."  Anyway, glad we're going to finally get this up and running.  I need a break from house rehabbing.

Chase took over our primary residence loan that we took out ~6 years ago.  Coincidentally, they ended up taking over the ReFi we did with y'all last year about 2 months after the ReFi, and not long after they took over the first loan.  They have been a pain in the ass to deal with.  They are terrible keeping up with insurance.  After my insurance company sent them docs last year, they kept sending me "please send proof of coverage or we're going to buy insurance" messages.  So I sent them in myself, talked to them on the phone, and everything was good as of October.  Well, out of the blue in February they just put a huge charge on my escrow account because they think they don't have proof again...JFC they have been a headache.  

I don't take an overpriced listing.  I tell the seller what the house is worth, and I tell them what I'm willing to list it for.  That's not negotiable. 

One other thing Phil - do y'all have any ability to control who buys your loans? 

Phil, do y'all even fund the loans?  I assumed you were brokers.  

What's the direction that 30yr mortgages are going? Wife and I visited a property that we loved over the weekend (shout-out to Courtney for making that happen [mention=530]UTPhil2006[/mention]) and may want to put an offer in for, but if we can wait a week or two and get another quarter point off... May be worth a wait lol

Approaching historical lows. Lock whenever you find a house and be happy.

Werr probably doing a mortgage refi this week. From 4.375 should save a bunch. Does the surly wisdom say rates have hit bottom? I would try to lock rates today but my wife had a surprise medical bill collection pop up last month that will disappear this week. With the markets and 10 year stabilizing, do we expect mortgage rates to creep back up?

15 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I don't take an overpriced listing.  I tell the seller what the house is worth, and I tell them what I'm willing to list it for.  That's not negotiable. 

One other thing Phil - do y'all have any ability to control who buys your loans? 

Phil, do y'all even fund the loans?  I assumed you were brokers.  

Correct.  We have a broker relationship with like 15 companies (most are kitschy ones) but we mainly use Caliber and UWM, and mostly UWM now.

17 hours ago, Captainant said:

What's the direction that 30yr mortgages are going? Wife and I visited a property that we loved over the weekend (shout-out to Courtney for making that happen @UTPhil2006) and may want to put an offer in for, but if we can wait a week or two and get another quarter point off... May be worth a wait lol

It's a real fine line, especially in this uncharted territory.  It's at 1.04 right now, but as you've seen with the DJI, one day it can massively fly up.  Use election 2016 as a prime example.  We went up half a point on rate in a little over 3 weeks and people priced themselves out of refi's, etc.

That being said, you don't have to lock to put in an offer.  If we're ready we can put in an offer and lock when you're ready.  We can float it until then.  Just a matter of when you're comfortable pulling that trigger in this wonky market.

4 hours ago, horncyclist said:

Stupid question...only second time looking at mortgage. If you lock and rates continue to follow in between locking and closing, can you take advantage of the new lower rates? If so, seems like a no brainer to lock soon. 

You have what's called a renegotiation and it almost always cost more than the difference.  There is the option of switching lenders but if you're already through UW, or paid for an appraisal, etc then it's usually again not worth it. 

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I’ve got a question for Phil and the board: I’m taking a listing on a single-family home that is on land that is now zoned industrial. It is a legal nonconforming single-family use.

Will it qualify for FHA or VA financing?

California laws are different than ours, that being said that's still a tough one.  Can you not run AUS or something similar?

Anybody have recommendations on checklists/resources for home inspection?

Have one happening this weekend on a house (Austin) we should be under contract on tomorrow morning, and wanted to read up ahead of time and be at the house while the inspector worked.

17 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

10 year is kind of hovering right now but Dow is up over 1000, so soon yes.

10-year dropped down again this morning. Have the mortgage rates caught up yet? It seems like they lag a little. I found this website, which updates average rates daily. http://www.mortgagenewsdaily.com/mortgage_rates/daily.aspx It seems like mortgage rates are not coming down as much as the 10-year. 

Also, on getting the best rate, is it worth shopping around to a few different lenders or is it competitive enough, that you're likely to get the same from whoever? I had talked to the lender that did our mortgage when we purchased last week, just reached out to two others this morning. Appreciate any advice on how to navigate that. 

On 3/3/2020 at 4:36 PM, Gil Bang said:

I’ve got a question for Phil and the board: I’m taking a listing on a single-family home that is on land that is now zoned industrial. It is a legal nonconforming single-family use.

Will it qualify for FHA or VA financing?

So, I called both VA and FHA today.  The VA guy answered on the first ring, and he was very knowledgeable.  He  told me in no uncertain terms that the property would qualify for VA financing, but he did say that the appraiser can ding the value for "highest and best use", which I've already figured into my list price.

The FHA person told me that she didn't know the answer to my question, but promised to "escalate" it.  15 mins later I got this email:

Thank you for contacting the FHA Resource Center. The information you requested in response to the above referenced service request number is provided below.

If the information does not fully address your question, please forward this email (do not reply) to answers@hud.gov, and provide additional information so that we may better serve you. You may also speak directly to a customer service representative by calling 1-800-CALL-FHA (1-800-225-5342) or visit our online knowledge base at www.hud.gov/answers, 24 hours/7 days a week.

Your question was regarding Property Eligibility for FHA Financing.

The property would need to not include any income generated from the Industrial zone; would need to meet local zoning and building requirements for residential use on industrial zoned site, have no health or safety issues evident, and be supported within the market with sales similar in zoning, location and buyer appeal.  Also would need to be able to rebuild if 100% destroyed duplicating the present residential use.

You may also wish to contact a HUD-approved housing counseling agency in your area for pre-purchase counseling.  These agencies can provide unbiased counseling on you particular situation.

More information on buying a home is available on HUD’s website at: https://www.hud.gov/topics/buying_a_home

HQ Policy Determination

Sincerely,

FHA Customer Service Team

Pretty fucking good service from both.