All Encompassing Mortgage and Real Estate Thread

UTPhil2006

I've been very pleased with switching to Liberty Mutual. Initially, I did homeowners and auto insurance. I then added a life insurance policy last year and this year, an umbrella policy.  When I added the life insurance policy, The total cost was less than just home/auto due to me moving up to a preferred customer class.  When I added an umbrella policy this year, once again, the total annual cost of home/auto/life/umbrella is even less than the original home/auto cost.  I actually just received a $1,100 refund for this year due to my homeowner's policy dropping from $2,400 a year to $1,300.  Maybe I was severely overpaying on the original home/auto policy but it was about 20% cheaper than State Farm, who I had used for the prior 15 years.  I have also had one claim so far, a car accident that was my fault. Since I hadn't had a car accident in the past 5 years, I got accident forgiveness and it didn't affect my rate at all. 

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I second Phil’s recommendation to find an independent agent that can shop anyone. I was on USAA for thirty years until their quote for a Houston house was so outrageous I was forced to look elsewhere. The agent found other options that were excellent and way cheaper. The bloom is off USAA. I still use them for auto but I may shop that too.

I have clients that will never get rid of their USAA auto. There's better product out there but USAA is pretty competitively priced compared to similar policies offered by middle-market carriers. That also keeps their "connection" to USAA. But on higher-end homes, USAA's pricing can be ridiculous and those really need to be insured by Chubb, AIG, PURE, Cincinnati or Nationwide Private Client anyways.

16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Got a good price from progressive, though it’s not carried by they themselves. Never had cause to use it so can’t comment on the servicing side. 

That good price could come back to bite you in a claim situation.

I've said it plenty of times but can never say it too much -- especially if you're Surly 1%. If you're living in a valuable home and/or drive expensive autos (hell they're all expensive these days) you almost certainly have outgrown what any company other than Chubb, AIG, PURE, Cincinnati and Nationwide Private Client can do for you from a product standing and often a pricing standpoint. The simple fact is State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, etc, DO NOT want to insure expensive homes -- nor do they have the expertise in handling claims when the shit hits the fan. It's all churn-and-burn for them.

Anybody looking for a no-cost, no-commit review shoot me a DM and I'll be happy to see what we can see. I *love* saving people money but that's not the end-all, be-all in my world. Our #1 goal is to make sure our clients have the absolute best coverage at the absolute best price we can find.

Probably not the first time consumers have gone after the NAR.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/economy/real-estate-commissions/index.html

I happen to believe that there needs to be some reform with the realty business, though I’m not sure this article makes a good case for collusion or government intervention. 

Apparently when consumers are offered cheaper alternatives, they get paranoid about service and steer clear. Some of that lack of performance can be attributed to agents refusing to work with those type of agents or companies because they will get paid less commission. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

On 5/1/2019 at 7:34 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Now you are getting it. Here’s the other driveway.
280f5d9a6b1af1110996d34b6b979340.jpg

In both instances, you flip the plans and there’s no issue.

Sorry to jump back this far but both of these cases are on the design engineer. When things are designed there aren't always house plans and the designer should have the wherewithal to put the FH and ADA ramp somewhere it is impossible to conflict with a driveway. I.E. on a lot pin. I will say that is mountable curb and the ADA ramp just looks stupid but isn't really a big deal beyond that. Just an annoyance. 

Edited by HOOKEM4

The hydrant I agree with you. I asked a couple of contractors why they didn’t put them all at or near lot lines and the only answer I got was well it’s city workers. 

The ADA ramp was placed directly across from the sidewalk of the perpendicular street, which makes sense to me. The only reason I can think of to not have just flipped the plans for that one is that they wanted headlights from cars on said perpendicular road to hit the garage instead of living/bed room windows. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Probably not the first time consumers have gone after the NAR.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/economy/real-estate-commissions/index.html

I happen to believe that there needs to be some reform with the realty business, though I’m not sure this article makes a good case for collusion or government intervention. 

Apparently when consumers are offered cheaper alternatives, they get paranoid about service and steer clear. Some of that lack of performance can be attributed to agents refusing to work with those type of agents or companies because they will get paid less commission. 

So much bullshit, so little time.

Collusion doesn't happen.   Agents are undercutting each other all over the place.  I've never taken a listing at 6% (except for land). I've only collected 3% on the buy side only a handful of times.    My brokerage has a rule that if I take a listing for less than 4% (2 per side) that my split is adjusted as if it were a 4% listing, which is fair, IMO.  

And, when has "you get what you pay for" ever not been true?

Edited by Gil Bang

So, on Mother's day I'm going to visit my mom, of course.  

I've got a client that wants to see a newly-listed (by redfin) condo, in a complex that she likes.  The only time she's available, I will be having brunch. 

I notice that the listing says "Open House 8-8".  I'm like WTF?  Fucking open houses are a beating, and this guy is gonna do one for 12 hours on Mother's day?  Doesn't make sense.  I call him.  It's not "really" and open house.  The buyer goes to the door, and calls redfin (and presumably gives them some sort of I.D.) and redfin gives them the code to the digital keypad deadbolt.

Do you really want people letting themselves into your home unaccompanied? 

so...i need some advice. apologize in advance for the long post...

my mother died back in January (some of y'all may remember my question in CYHMWT about probate).

she lived in west Houston, off Barker-Cypress.

probate hearing finally scheduled after memorial day. we spent about $8K fixing up house (basics- paint throughout, new carpet, some repairs). had a family friend serve as GC so nothing extravagant. all appliances staying. 

it's a cute 3/2 in a working/middle class neighborhood. PITA HOA so generally nice curb appeal, but lots of renters and immigrants (just fyi, not a problem at all, great neighbors).

ANYway...as soon as my lawyer filed i started getting letters and have probably received no less than 25 - investors, cash offers, quick close, 'as is', etc. 

i was actually toying with just a Redfin/zillow type listing as i thought it might be easy, but comments above have me second guessing. 

sister and i are both in austin so we need something that will go smoothly. neither of us knows a realtor...

any suggestions? just bite the bullet and pay full realtor cost? do you just cold call one? 

i'm wondering about all these letters of interest, too... they say 'as is', but since we've done some work now will they try to lowball us?

this is not the kind of hood where someone was gonna come in and 'flip' it into a high dollar turnaround, that's why we went ahead with some basic work. 

my husband and i bought one home in central austin when we first got married and have never moved - i don't know anything about selling a house! i'm starting to stress, and the fact i live 150 miles away is making it worse...

basically i'm just looking for some guidance on where and how to start :(

On 5/16/2019 at 12:22 PM, Gil Bang said:

So, on Mother's day I'm going to visit my mom, of course.  

I've got a client that wants to see a newly-listed (by redfin) condo, in a complex that she likes.  The only time she's available, I will be having brunch. 

I notice that the listing says "Open House 8-8".  I'm like WTF?  Fucking open houses are a beating, and this guy is gonna do one for 12 hours on Mother's day?  Doesn't make sense.  I call him.  It's not "really" and open house.  The buyer goes to the door, and calls redfin (and presumably gives them some sort of I.D.) and redfin gives them the code to the digital keypad deadbolt.

Do you really want people letting themselves into your home unaccompanied? 

I’d never allow that. 

But I think my house can be sold for less than $9000 for each side. 2% each instead of 3% each doesn’t seem out of line for homes of say 250k or more. 

my mother died back in January (some of y'all may remember my question in CYHMWT about probate).
probate hearing finally scheduled after memorial day. we spent about $8K fixing up house (basics- paint throughout, new carpet, some repairs). had a family friend serve as GC so nothing extravagant. all appliances staying. 
it's a cute 3/2 in a working/middle class neighborhood. PITA HOA so generally nice curb appeal, but lots of renters and immigrants (just fyi, not a problem at all, great neighbors).
ANYway...as soon as my lawyer filed i started getting letters and have probably received no less than 25 - investors, cash offers, quick close, 'as is', etc. 
i was actually toying with just a Redfin/zillow type listing as i thought it might be easy, but comments above have me second guessing. 
sister and i are both in austin so we need something that will go smoothly. neither of us knows a realtor...
any suggestions? just bite the bullet and pay full realtor cost? do you just cold call one? 
i'm wondering about all these letters of interest, too... they say 'as is', but since we've done some work now will they try to lowball us?
this is not the kind of hood where someone was gonna come in and 'flip' it into a high dollar turnaround, that's why we went ahead with some basic work. 
my husband and i bought one home in central austin when we first got married and have never moved - i don't know anything about selling a house! i'm starting to stress, and the fact i live 150 miles away is making it worse...
basically i'm just looking for some guidance on where and how to start

I believe Phil is working out of Houston. Ask him for a Surly deal. I do deals in Austin for friends.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

All those letters are from flippers who will offer you 65% of what your home is worth. 

Unless you need the money tomorrow, don’t even call them. 

6% for a realtor is a much better deal than them. 

that's what i figured, vultures. thanks. 

Edited by mchookem

On 5/17/2019 at 6:16 PM, mchookem said:

basically i'm just looking for some guidance on where and how to start :(

I suspect that you'll get some good referrals here, but if not, I'm happy to find you a well-qualified agent in your neighborhood, and I will not accept any referral fee...I'll just find you a good agent that will list for you at 5% or less.   Surly courtesy. 

• Like 1

I've got a moving company we work with.  I call them, and for no charge, they drop a dozen boxes by the buyer or seller's home with a "courtesy of Gil Bang, Realtor" sticker on each of them, and they also include a flyer for their moving company offering a free estimate.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I've got a moving company we work with.  I call them, and for no charge, they drop a dozen boxes by the buyer or seller's home with a "courtesy of Gil Bang, Realtor" sticker on each of them, and they also include a flyer for their moving company offering a free estimate.  

that's pretty damn cool 

Did a fairly upscale open house over the weekend.  Desirable property, and I got lots of traffic.  

A very nice couple toured the house for a long time, and then pulled me aside and said "we want it".     Ok, that's pretty awesome for me.  We write up a full-price offer.  The couple are transplants from Texas.  Husband got transferred a few years back, and they've been renting.   While chatting, I learned a lot about the wife, her career, her education, etc.   The husband is a super cool dude, but doesn't talk about himself.  He seems really into his wife's considerable accomplishments..  He just tells me his employer, position (engineer), and income. 

I google him later.  He's aggy.  Not only aggy, but corps aggy at that.  His linkedin says he was part of "the best damm outfit on campus".  That's how aggy he is. 

Maybe the first one I've met in the wild, but I'll drink a cold one with this cat anytime.  He seems like a really  good dude.   

I always get my clients a nice gift after closing.  Maybe this guy needs a longhorn network sub?

How long does permitting typically take in Houston? Our builder submitted plans a little over 3 weeks ago and the dept. just now came back with some ticky-tack BS they want to see verified/corrected. I'm gonna lose it if the plans get resubmitted and they sit on them for another couple of weeks.

Closing on a house with utphil today. It’s been an easy and hassle free experience. 110% recommend him and his team.

i requested he show up at the closing today dressed as a furry of his choice so I’m withholding my final review until then. 

Did a fairly upscale open house over the weekend.  Desirable property, and I got lots of traffic.  
A very nice couple toured the house for a long time, and then pulled me aside and said "we want it".     Ok, that's pretty awesome for me.  We write up a full-price offer.  The couple are transplants from Texas.  Husband got transferred a few years back, and they've been renting.   While chatting, I learned a lot about the wife, her career, her education, etc.   The husband is a super cool dude, but doesn't talk about himself.  He seems really into his wife's considerable accomplishments..  He just tells me his employer, position (engineer), and income. 

I google him later.  He's aggy.  Not only aggy, but corps aggy at that.  His linkedin says he was part of "the best damm outfit on campus".  That's how aggy he is. 
 Maybe the first one I've met in the wild, but I'll drink a cold one with this cat anytime.  He seems like a really  good dude.   
I always get my clients a nice gift after closing.  Maybe this guy needs a longhorn network sub?

So were you representing the seller in that transaction as well as the buyers? There was no other agent?

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Closing on a house with utphil today. It’s been an easy and hassle free experience. 110% recommend him and his team.

i requested he show up at the closing today dressed as a furry of his choice so I’m withholding my final review until then. 

You know it’s gonna be orbit

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

So were you representing the seller in that transaction as well as the buyers? There was no other agent?

That does happen, but in this case, another agent had the listing, and I held an open house to pick up buyers.   If I don't have other plans, I do an open house every weekend.  If I see a good listing in a neighborhood I like, I'll call that agent and ask if I can hold it open.  The answer is usually "yes". 

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

How long does permitting typically take in Houston? Our builder submitted plans a little over 3 weeks ago and the dept. just now came back with some ticky-tack BS they want to see verified/corrected. I'm gonna lose it if the plans get resubmitted and they sit on them for another couple of weeks.

Ha, that's expedited fast-tracking out here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Ha, that's expedited fast-tracking out here.

Oh boy is it ever. 

You can get a simple permit on a walk-up basis, but anything that needs plan check is going to be several weeks in most places. And not just here.  I was in plan check for 7 months on a medical project in PA. 

Edited by Gil Bang

That does happen, but in this case, another agent had the listing, and I held an open house to pick up buyers.   If I don't have other plans, I do an open house every weekend.  If I see a good listing in a neighborhood I like, I'll call that agent and ask if I can hold it open.  The answer is usually "yes". 

Ah got it. Do you pick up clients that often doing that?

Get ready to lose it. That's not that long for plan review and permitting.

They finally poured the driveway on the one house, to wrap that up.

386626b57a23d7fd0dd45fa87bd697d4.jpg

Not as severe as I would have guessed. But now I call your attention to the silver box on the right side of the porch.

8e404f7a9d43c4337088c07fbbe88e83.jpg

Stamped into the sheet metal it says termination cap, must be pointed outdoors. It looks kind of like a dryer exhaust with a shroud. What else might it be, and why would they terminate it at the front porch?