All things equestrian - horses, Don Ke-hote, mules, etc.

ROFL BOX

*Please limit your Sarah Jessica Parker references to a max 2 / day.

Didn't see a thread about these, so let's talk horses.

I recently started working on Bandit, our 15 year old APHA that has been eating with no work required... I have been lazy / doing other things / not paying attention to him & decided I was tired of only feeding him.  & Now we have a Shag 2.0 thread.

1st Horse is Whiskey, my best horse ever.  Palomino, I had been riding him for around 5 years when we got him.  1st Pic is Texas Independence Day, I think either 2003.  Next is in Taylor... when I die, please make sure both of these photos are set by the casket (pic of me & the wife as well... can't be pissing her off). 

Anyhow, since we've got colder temperatures I decided to get back into the swing of things on the horses & have been working on Bandit lately.  I have an approx. 2.5 mile route that I measured via Google Maps; maybe 1/2 a mile of that is on asphalt (very light traffic but not zero) & my next ride I'll time it to see how long the trip is overall.

I'm sticking with the split ring Snaffle (pics later) & will upload some other photos; took Bandit on a ride when we had the snow last Sunday & that was a blast... cold AF, though.  Wet knees & that required a 30 minute hot shower when I was done.

Will also upload tack pics.  The dark brown saddle shown is a Tex Tan Hereford & was my Uncle's, new in 1973.  Had it totally cleaned, re-fleeced, etc. back around '02.  It had been hanging by the horn in my Grandfather's barn for probably 20 years & I think he (Uncle) used to bulldog off of that.  Married into 2 saddles; already had 4 with the Hereford included (all of mine are Tex Tan's)... 1 barrel, 1 padded pleasure, 1 roper.

image.thumb.png.3837c4e0d011df479ab50d84934664e1.png

image.thumb.png.f6157d61a9af2c6998425a17a4279e4e.png

Next up is Bandit & that's my now 14 year old son back when he was 5.  We've had Bandit for going on 8 years now... time flies in horse ownership.

image.thumb.png.1f87a9fe9dbe08bbdfc06b07cd4b5d85.png

image.png.12ae64a5dd2b39f509af86b184f7f343.png

image.png.1c68e73911fe4e219df2d854ebda5285.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Tex Tan roping rig.

Split ctr Snaffle

1 of 3 in my favorite saddle pads (I prob. have 6 or 7 w/ one of them more as a decorative overlay for parades, eyc).

Close up of snaffle, logo for mfg.

2 of 3 favorite saddle pads

Wall of breast collars. I want a wide one, roper style. On my long range list.

Tex Tan barrel rig.

Cuff wraps w/ 3M scotchlite, for night time rides (I haven't looked into any specialized lights, blinking beacons or what have you that are more equestrian centered vs. something generic like what a cyclist or runner would wear... lighted belt, etc.

Wall of tack, saddle pad 3 of 3, wore this one last Sunday for the snow ride, figured it would be a bit warmer.4d38c0294002bad44715e82b4196f65d.jpgee18255dcbb6a689f73359602edbbe91.jpga9c1d83a10db8dc9ba39065e274319f4.jpgb6e67626a9c6bf3cec103dde3785b39c.jpgcff2be745d304831389fafbd1426dc08.jpgaec14c0122b9aefc2cac8dbf7069b06c.jpg5809f3e702f7ad2c75ecb92e051261d2.jpgae48dc63ab2c6da10b2333a3c6a85cd4.jpgc2d06d83f956fea956f9984aac014ab7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

Dirty horse, last Wed.

Need to get Jake worked along, been lazy on training him. Very friendly, easy loader (was frequently fed in a small 2 horse straight load for the 1st year).

Knows nothing beyond a halter & basic walking. Never been bitted, maybe sacked out 3 or 4× over 8 years ago.

Pics uploaded out of order... obv. dirty 1st, then clean pics last.

14.1, reg. APHA. Going on 17 years old. 100% my fault for not actually doing anything with him all these years.7826f61b263911b3f2a1df2776b8b9f1.jpg1728b64dd758e6464dab7e3c5c8988d5.jpg5474e07a8c5c905bb1f65fd4cd5e56bf.jpg371dff1bd5338f3772e68493868f56ed.jpg5157abe691c2417cd863cf02be094cac.jpgaa68cb7e97ec3b4b823383b3dd53ee17.jpg8bc7c3a352c82711146f4d049c9124b8.jpg

On 1/17/2021 at 8:54 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Related, re: rodeo... I cannot understand why women aren't permitted to compete in calf roping ("tiedown" for the watered down name) & team roping.

I was thinking WPRA did tiedown, might be wrong on that. They do women's team roping for sure.

DSC_6165_00001.thumb.jpg.5e518b32041d21088e8b34018027739e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Weapons grade dick-brush.  Good stuff my man, good stuff. 

Every one of my cousins on my dad's side went to college on a rodeo scholarship.  Aunt still raises and sells quarter horses outside of Coleman.  Wish I still rode.  Been a while outside of recreational stuff (resorts, etc) that I was back in the saddle with an intended purpose.  

• Like 1

City Guy whose daughter fell in love with horses.  Ill I do is drive the truck and the write check.  One of these days, I have to get comfortable with her hauling long distances but for now Ill keep enjoying the great daddy/daughter time.  She started on barrels and play days around age 8, but she is a heeler now.  Not a competitive roper but she loves going out to practice with the big guys.  We have owned 5 horses since she was little but only one at a time.  Pic is of her current horse and a pic of her practicing breakaway roping.  At college (TX Tech) she working toward ranch versatility.  Who would ever thought I would be paying tuition for a class where she rides her horse for a grade?!?!?!?    

Fawkes.jpg

Fawkes breakaway.jpg

Edited by bobcat1995
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Last time I was on a horse was at our engagement bbq on a ranch (Now under the lake) near Granger in 1967.  After an afternoon of beer & eats, a dozen of us went for a ride around the host’s 700 acre spread.
About a half mile from the house, I fell off at full gallop when the hoss turned one way to avoid a rusting farm implement and I went the other... rolling in the grass about five yards. Did get up and got back in the saddle. The alcohol apparently loosened me up enough to avoid injury. That’s my only equestrian story besides riding a cousin’s Shetland pony in Missouri back in the 1950s.

A friend of mine in Massachusetts is an aficionado of the racing culture. He currently owns a small share of Authentic, but has owned other horses outright including this one:

DECF335C-8F7A-42ED-9BE8-A444ABEC6EC2.jpeg

• Like 1

We had a hunter/jumper event scheduled for this weekend here in Waco but looking at the Extraco Events Center website it's no longer on there. A hell of a lot of shows canceled this year due to the COVID. Breed shows are pretty boring to me but I do get a kick out of all the folks duded up like Porter Waggoner. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 11:25 AM, bobcat1995 said:

City Guy whose daughter fell in love with horses.  Ill I do is drive the truck and the write check.  One of these days, I have to get comfortable with her hauling long distances but for now Ill keep enjoying the great daddy/daughter time.  She started on barrels and play days around age 8, but she is a heeler now.  Not a competitive roper but she loves going out to practice with the big guys.  We have owned 5 horses since she was little but only one at a time.  Pic is of her current horse and a pic of her practicing breakaway roping.  At college (TX Tech) she working toward ranch versatility.  Who would ever thought I would be paying tuition for a class where she rides her horse for a grade?!?!?!?    

Fawkes.jpg

Fawkes breakaway.jpg

Remind her to keep her thumb up. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 9:25 AM, bobcat1995 said:

Fawkes.jpg

Fawkes breakaway.jpg

Ha, that's both my cousins - one is in Mexia and the other teaches at Panther Creek near Millersview.  Both still ride/rope to this day.  Both went off to college with their horses.  I get it.  

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

People ask me all the time about the cost of the horse?  Yes, the horse is expensive but once you buy all the crap to ride, the monthly cost is no more than travel baseball, softball, volleyball or soccer.  I know people who have paid way more over the years for sports than I did for all the horse stuff.  It also made it easier that she just rode horses and didn't play sports!!  She bought her last horse by herself, $8k!!!!  My first car didn't cost $8k!!

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought y'all might want to get a look @ the belly girth / off billet parts.

The saddle originally had only the slot but no off billet installed, so I had this made & added on probably 20 years ago.

New Latigo is all good, however I do want a new buckled strap for the stirrup retainer (possibly visible in a prior pic).

Also, I have good twist in the stirrup fenders because for years now (like... 20+) I have been running a stick through the stirrups with them in position, so the leather eventually makes that bend.

I have a lot of saddles & what I REALLY want to add is a good "High Backed Wade", one that is set up to hold a removable scoped rifle scabbard, hoof pick sleeve, LeatherMan sleeve & strings for saddle bags... (& I wonder if it's common to have Taps on a Wade... will have to look that up, see if there are any pics with that setup).7bd9e7e307b04c12596bdf77f38fa0db.jpg62271d7cbb3ba153a643b0d734bdca6e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm thinking of starting up a FB group for horse people in the "greater" Dripping Springs area.

Going with "Hays is for Horses"... prob. Wimberley to Oak Hill to Bee Caves over to Johnson City & then down to Blanco.

Various discussions, possible group pricing on a semi-load of round bales for people to split costs on, info on local shows / events, tack sales & trading, places to ride / group meetups for rides & of course horses / donks / mules for sale, etc.

If you're in this area & want to join, lemme know & I'll post the group info once I actually put it together.

. . . . . . .

PROBABLE Admission questions...

1. You must answer all [2, 3, 4... whatever total # etc] of these questions or you will not be admitted to the group.

1a. What town / city do you live in? This group is restricted to persons within a specific geographical region, however the group Admin / Moderator(s) could possibly make exceptions.

2. Absolutely ZERO posts of any kind regarding politics, religion, sexual orientation / preference will be tolerated. 1 Warning, then any further transgressions will result in a permanent ban / block. Agreed?

3. What is your reason for wanting to join our group? What is your connection to an Equestrian related group?

4. With the possibility of some Admin / Mod approved special circumstances, we will ONLY allow business related posts on "ThursHays" (Thursdays) of each week. Personal items for sale may be posted at any time, however any posts from a business are restricted to "ThursHays", regardless of the product. Again, special exceptions may possibly be granted with Admin / Mod approval, provided advance clearance is requested. Agreed? 5. Spamming the group or sending sales related PM's for your business or other nonsense is strictly forbidden... Avon, CutCo knives, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, Rodan+Fields, Scentsy, etc.? No thanks. <SORRY, Chad B.>

• 3 weeks later...

Coming back from Brownwood on Sunday (Scout campout) & riding w/ the Scoutmaster.

He whips into the Tractor Supply in San Saba, apparently the TSC near us is out of bird seed.

I scored a 5" Egg Butt Snaffle, copper bars. No center link.

$ 30. Our TSC here in Drip hasn't had one for awhile.

On 1/26/2021 at 8:33 PM, bobcat1995 said:

People ask me all the time about the cost of the horse?  Yes, the horse is expensive but once you buy all the crap to ride, the monthly cost is no more than travel baseball, softball, volleyball or soccer.  I know people who have paid way more over the years for sports than I did for all the horse stuff.  It also made it easier that she just rode horses and didn't play sports!!  She bought her last horse by herself, $8k!!!!  My first car didn't cost $8k!!

This statement could not be more inaccurate.  Very much depends on the level.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:03 PM, ROFL BOX said:

old joke:  "Why did the Native Americans ride Appaloosas?"

It's the one horse they could catch on foot.

There was a guy in our area that showed an App gelding in 4H and then his younger brother used him.  One of the best reining horses I've ever seen but great in pleasure and a stout horse for working cattle.  But whenever he needed an adjustment, they would bring Chief to my dad for a couple of days, then Chief would be good for a while.  My dad said he was the only good App he had ever seen, much less ridden.  

Then one day, I was home from college and stopped by the barn to find my dad riding an app mare that some lady needed help with.  But instead of riding in the arena or the bronc pen by the road, he was working her behind the barn.  I knew what was up immediately but I wanted to hear it from him.  

He said, "Riding this app mare is like fucking a fat chick.  It might not be bad but you don't want anyone to see you doing it."  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/1/2021 at 10:29 AM, Landomatic said:

Yeah I’m thinking the 90k trailer my buddy bought so his daughter could travel to barrel race buys a lot of select tourney fees.  Much less the horses, etc. 

On 3/1/2021 at 10:29 AM, Landomatic said:

I'm not sure how my statement about our experiences could be inaccurate but okay.  I guess it depends on how you approach things and how much money you want to throw away on kids activities.  We we never trying to turn our kids into the next Bryce Harper or Hailey Kinsel.  We just wanted them to have fun, learn and be responsible.  I have seen plenty of people spend stupid money on private coaches for batting and pitching, and fancy trucks, to pull the fancy trailer just for the kids to lose interest once high school starts or they go off to college.  My son quit sports after high school and my daughter took her horse to college.      

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bobcat1995 said:

I'm not sure how my statement about our experiences could be inaccurate but okay.  I guess it depends on how you approach things and how much money you want to throw away on kids activities.  We we never trying to turn our kids into the next Bryce Harper or Hailey Kinsel.  We just wanted them to have fun, learn and be responsible.  I have seen plenty of people spend stupid money on private coaches for batting and pitching, and fancy trucks, to pull the fancy trailer just for the kids to lose interest once high school starts or they go off to college.  My son quit sports after high school and my daughter took her horse to college.

Maybe “inaccurate” was the wrong word. It’s more about it being all relative. You made it seem like horses are no more expensive than travel baseball or other sports, but your comparison isn’t apples to apples. Sure, if you want your kid to do horses on the cheap, vs doing baseball at a high level, they can probably be similar in cost, or you can probably spend less on horses than another sports. But if you want them competitive at the highest national levels, the horse will be way more expensive than other sports. And it’s not even close. Add a zero for the horses…at least.

I’ve got a few friends from college that were from from families not hurting for money.  I visited one for a wedding back in their hometown and when touring the house, noticed he had about 100 VERY nice buckles in a sort of trophy room.  Pretty big events, etc.   I asked the other one about it, and will never forget his response. “We’ll, doesn’t hurt when you’re sitting atop a quarter million dollar horse”.     They were into cutting.  Both arrived to college in loaded duallys with tons of miles from pulling liveable horse trailers through half the 50 states. The limit is whatever you want it to be in that sport, I suppose. 

On 6/29/2021 at 4:36 AM, Landomatic said:

Maybe “inaccurate” was the wrong word. It’s more about it being all relative. You made it seem like horses are no more expensive than travel baseball or other sports, but your comparison isn’t apples to apples. Sure, if you want your kid to do horses on the cheap, vs doing baseball at a high level, they can probably be similar in cost, or you can probably spend less on horses than another sports. But if you want them competitive at the highest national levels, the horse will be way more expensive than other sports. And it’s not even close. Add a zero for the horses…at least.

Yep.  Few cousins all went to college on rodeo scholies and still compete and raise horses to this day.  I used to show back in the day before sports took over.  Then having lived in Louisville a few years after college, I got to see what "real horse farms" look like.  Jesus, the money in that state around horses is bonkers.  You pass a few on the drive between Louisville and Lexington.  Amazing.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 6:35 PM, ROFL BOX said:

$ 160, Webberville area.

Looking forward to some cutting due to all the Spring rain & hopefully closer than 50 - 60 minutes away from me.7691f5eea9b563bd64e82f3bc39e2da3.jpg18c76c574f99ca9d91ff6ccc3ca351e9.jpg

I feed my weaned calves a mix of ground feed, but while they're in their holding pen for 14 days they get round bales.  Last year I bought a semi load of prairie hay from a guy 120 miles away from me.  $120/ton plus $4/mile freight.

This year my extended family farm came up for rent.  I rented it, and devoted part to oat hay so that I wouldn't have to buy prairie hay.  I am 110% certain now that it would have been cheaper to buy the hay.  

• Like 1

My son is at Tarleton, he has brought a couple of cute gals home to ride around in the boat and Ranger over the weekends. We never see them again. When I ask him "what's up?", he says they are a "horse girl", can't afford them, and don't want to. Buddy I tailgate with, and on the same deer lease was one of them. 

CHIEF

• Like 1

• 5 months later...