DISD High School Graduates

TwiceHorn

23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Some do.

Although I think attendance at a lot of private schools tends to take UT off the table for a lot of people.

What's crazy is all the parent orientations and slideware I've seen for private schools and prep academies all have on their logo page of the pipeline of colleges that graduates end up, it's always A&M and Baylor in the biggest font followed by every other school you can think of across the country...except for UT. Never is there a Longhorn, and I've sat through three of these things since January 1st. The last one I wore a Longhorn hat for grins.

At UT some of my favorite folks were WT White graduates and they were hard partying crazy people who were somewhat affluent, back in the late 90's.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

17 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

What's crazy is all the parent orientations and slideware I've seen for private schools and prep academies all have on their logo page of the pipeline of colleges that graduates end up, it's always A&M and Baylor in the biggest font followed by every other school you can think of across the country...except for UT. Never is there a Longhorn, and I've sat through three of these things since January 1st. The last one I wore a Longhorn hat for grins.

At UT some of my favorite folks were WT White graduates and they were hard partying crazy people who were somewhat affluent, back in the late 90's.

Well, a lot of private schools, I'm most acutely aware of St. Marks and Jesuit, less so Parish and ESD, sort of further the whole small, private school thing, Ivies for the tip top, Kenyon, Emory, Vanderbilt for the top, etc.  But I think someone who wants to go to UT because of family or whatever, may strategerically hop over to DISD to finish out top 6.  But it's not that easy to convert solid standing at a rigorous private to top 6 at a less rigorous DISD school. Plus. a lot of people aren't going to want to abandon their friends and social structure for a better chance to get into UT.

However, check this.  https://www.smtexas.org/academics/upper-school--grades-9-12/college-counseling

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Assman said:

Growing up in the burbs and lived/ate/breathed basketball and I was borderline obsessed with DISD basketball.  I had the pleasure of guarding Quinton Ross in a tournament my freshman year which was fun.  I remember the Carter-Kimball and Lincoln-Madison battles featuring the Sasser brothers, Andre Emmet, and Chris Bosh among others.  Duncanville (obviously not DISD) was probably the best of them all led by Brian Boddicker and Roosevelt Brown.  My junior year we beat Roosevelt, Lincoln, and Lancaster in the playoffs to go to state where we lost to PA Lincoln.  Opening the DMN every Saturday morning to check out the scores always made my sports pants go crazy.

We knocked the elder Sasser out of the playoffs his senior year.  Our reward for doing so was getting to play Duncanville with Ostertag and a badass wing whose name I don’t remember who ended up at Marquette.

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

With you and me included there are 4 posters here that went to Skyline at a minimum. Others already pointed at MDmost who also went to Skyline and his brother, MDLeast who doesn't post a lot who attended Skyline. I think there was one more, but maybe I'm thinking of you.

Most people have no idea that Skyline was actually a Magnet school. Granted, it was vocational, which many people frown on, but the training available in Aeronautical mechanics, Diesel mechanics, plastics, languages, etc were actually pretty damn impressive and there really should be more in the US. 

Me, well, I was zoned and had a choice of Woodrow, Bryan Adams and Skyline. My older step brother and step brother my age went to Skyline so... Go Raiders.

Speaking of busing, most aren't aware of how Dallas Carter manipulated that system too their advantage, massively. To understand the results, I quote a line from Friday Night Lights, "They're Bigger, they're faster, they're bigger". They were.

Larry Johnson and Michael Johnson (not related) are the most noteable Skyline grads with Montrell Flowers, Hodges Mitchell, and Anthony Wheeler being among some of the Longhorns football players that went to Skyline.

Yeah, I recall that Skyline was maybe the original magnet school in DISD.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:48 AM, abuelo gringo said:

I had a history teacher, Dr. Talmadge White, that once said that most of us would graduate from HS, stay in what he called "Peasant Grove", marry a high school sweetheart, and live the rest of our lives in PG. Maybe that's why you never met any.  I, luckily, escaped that, but many I went to HS with didn't.

However, the Director of the Briscoe Center of American History at UT Austin and a former Democratic Party Chair of Fayette Co were co graduates of mine.

Obviously a pre-Ticket reference.  Otherwise, he would have mentioned lived on the same street as Blue from the Grove.

Edited by pch
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, pch said:

Obviously a pre-Ticket reference.  Otherwise, he would have mentioned lived on the same street as Blue from the Grove.

When I was in school, the Ticket was still WRR.  I used to listen to it on Friday and Saturday nights for Blues and R&B with Jim Lowe and his "How Blue Can You Get?" show.  Since it's been 50+ years since I left the Grove for Austin, I probably never encountered Blue from the Grove. Definitely a pre-Ticket reference.