Grad Transfer LB Ray Thornton

Teryor

3 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Sarkisian strikes again. LSU graduate transfer Ray Thornton has committed to Texas, Inside Texas has learned.

The 6-foot-4, 225-pound outside linebacker collected 45 tackles, three sacks, one pass deflection, and one forced fumble during his time in Baton Rouge.

The Killeen Shoemaker product was a four-star in the Class of 2016, and had offers from Texas, Cal, Michigan, Kansas, and North Texas.

Thornton joins a talented linebacking corps that includes DeMarvion Overshown, Juwan Mitchell, Jaylan Ford, and David Gbenda.

Notebook Evaluation: He showed good burst and ability to get in the backfield in high school. He combines size and speed from the linebacker position that every college program desires. The 5th-year prospect never broke through at Louisiana State despite logging playing time on defense and special teams, but contains the potential to make an impact at the collegiate level. – Justin Wells

6 minutes ago, pacman said:

Believe he was suspended for violating team rules very early last year. Don't know what that means.

Hopefully, he is ready to come in and work to contribute.

Hook 'em 

I think he was one of their five or six guys who were suspended for weed, and just missed the four easiest games on the schedule 

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That sounds like a roundabout way of saying he's either slow or poor in coverage.

He’s an edge rusher, so speed and coverage ability aren’t what he needs to have, unless he had been able to switch his NLI to Texas out of HS, in which case he would’ve been dropping in coverage for 3 straight years.

In all seriousness, he fit as an OLB in Aranda’s scheme, but once Coach O decided he wanted a 4 man front and hired the great Bo Pelini to run it, Thornton no longer had a position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s an edge rusher, so speed and coverage ability aren’t what he needs to have, unless he had been able to switch his NLI to Texas out of HS, in which case he would’ve been dropping in coverage for 3 straight years.

In all seriousness, he fit as an OLB in Aranda’s scheme, but once Coach O decided he wanted a 4 man front and hired the great Bo Pelini to run it, Thornton no longer had a position. 

Yeah, I get it. I kid. He's a tweener that they don't have a spot for. 

Whether they should have a spot for him or not is a different discussion.

49 minutes ago, JBJ said:

He has played 3 in 4, but I'm not exactly sure how Covid eligibility works.

According to the NCAA website everyone enrolled in 2020 gets 4 in 6 eligibility and 2020 doesn't count as a participation year towards that (so technically you get 5 in 6 if you played.)

So he has 2 years eligibility.

• Hook 'Em 2

My brain sort of resets every cycle and I forget everything I've been told to think about these prospects, but if I remember right he was a pretty crazy athlete coming out of HS but was really raw. All his testing numbers looked great but the film was kind of meh.

Either way, great move to grab him. Very little downside and could pay off nicely if he can be an effective edge rusher.