Rehoming my wife's Dog/Animal Aggression assistance

immamac

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Something that the vet left out prior to surgery and we would have never consented to surgery if we knew. He is paralyzed in his rear legs with low likelihood of regaining function of them. He went with my mom to fort worth and luckily the folks at ridglea animal hospital are going to do a short notice euthanasia before they close tonight at 6PM. 

There is no reason to have him continue suffering if he will just heal and not be able to walk. Thank you all for the level headed responses and help. 

Wait.  What surgery?  

Anyway, RIP Henry.

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Wait.  What surgery?  

Anyway, RIP Henry.

JoJo ripped henry open and caused the paralysis. They sowed him up (no muscular damage) and inaccurately assumed he was paralyzed prior to the incident, which speaks to how bad of shape he was in outside of the "flesh wounds" for them to make that assumption. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, immamac said:

The dog is still alive - we weighed euthanizing him, but don't feel like that is fair to him as he is fine around adult humans who want to give him attention. If we can't rehome him he will be destroyed at our cost. 

Find a nice old person to give him to.  If this can't be done by Sunday I'll direct you to the gun owners thread...  you can probably borrow and for 1$ in ammo be done with the min pin.  And feed JoJo a big fucking steak.  He did right.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, immamac said:

JoJo ripped henry open and caused the paralysis. They sowed him up (no muscular damage) and inaccurately assumed he was paralyzed prior to the incident, which speaks to how bad of shape he was in outside of the "flesh wounds" for them to make that assumption. 

Ah yeah.

$850 sounded steep for that, so it was pretty grim.

Sorry.

20 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Find a nice old person to give him to.  If this can't be done by Sunday I'll direct you to the gun owners thread...  you can probably borrow and for 1$ in ammo be done with the min pin.  And feed JoJo a big fucking steak.  He did right.

The dog is old, shits and pees himself, is blind, aggressive and is now paralyzed.  I’m pretty sure it’s his time. RIP Henry. 

55 minutes ago, 3adays said:

Wait, so up had your Mom put the dog down? 

Yeah, we didn't realize his back legs were not working until after she had taken him back with her.  After that came to light we just made the decision to end his obvious suffering. I called around and ridglea did us a solid after I told them what was going on and that the dog was suffering. He is at peace. 

• Hook 'Em 7

On 1/17/2021 at 9:24 PM, immamac said:

Putting this here for now, but moving to CYHMWT later on.

My wife has had a min pin chihuahua mix that is aggressive towards our 1 year old child. Our German Shepherd Blacklab (JoJo) was not a fan of the constant aggression towards my child from Henry and attacked him today. Long story short, Henry's gotta go and JoJo needs to get some professional training/we need to take additional precautions when JoJo exhibits any aggressive behavior protecting our kid or anything from others. 

Anyone interested in taking up a stitched up min pin that has to wear a diaper inside (will pee and poop inside). He also is mostly blind with cataracts, and is hard of hearing. He also has very few teeth and is animal and small people aggressive. He can't really be around other animals and does not play nice with other dogs. He's a good snuggler and likes women and all that. Doesn't bark a whole lot, but can go through fits and doesn't have separation anxiety. He's 11+ years old, has a severe heart murmur and really just lays around most of the day and we've had to have him locked up most of the time since he can't be out when the kid is awake or home. 

JoJo is not aggressive at all towards people and has never had a person aggressive bite history. She also does not have a history of dog or cat aggression. She hates deer, coyotes, other critters that clearly shouldn't be on the property (4+ Acre). She's a good guard dog, but I definitely need someone to coach us on how to deal with her or how we can get her to understand when aggression/protection is not needed/wanted.

thanks for reading my wall of text.

You'd never make it as a used car salesman

Best friend put a min pin chichi mix down in November. She made it to 15 but the last year was a downward spiral that probably should have been ended earlier.

Great dog, still had that puppy step every once in a while, loved life for about ten minutes a day, but the day to day QOL was really horrible. 

RIP Henry (and Emma)

Good dogo JoJo for doing a heckin protekt for the kido. 

Shit situation Immamac

Sounds like you 100% did the best thing considering. 

2 minutes ago, Felix said:

Man that sucks all around, but I'd be having a little discussion with the vet about communication and wondering if he/she was more interested in my money than my dogs well being.

I spoke with the vet, he was very very apologetic and realized his teams error immediately. They did an excellent job otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/17/2021 at 10:20 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Four words for dog owners with small children. Get a Bassett Hound.

If anything they might make your infants/toddlers sleep more. The most chill/peaceful dogs you'll ever encounter. They sleep 23 hours a day. They spend their 1 waking hour per day trying to get their tummies rubbed. 

My next door neighbor growing up had a Bassett Hound named Fred.  Fred liked to take naps in the middle of the road.  Fred met his ultimate demise one day when he got squished by a school bus.

Bassett Hounds are stupid.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 8:04 AM, immamac said:

Maybe I wasnt super clear about what I meant when I said JoJo attacked henry. It was a major incident requiring surgery to close up some substantial (but superficial) wounds. He cannot come back to the house or jojo will likely finish the job. About a month ago when henry started actively attacking our child is when jojo started being a bit more outwardly aggressive towards henry. Swiping him with her paws. Barking at him when our kids was around etc. I think jojo has already identified henry as a threat and there's no way to untrain her at this point. 

Shepherds man. The little one is just an annoying squirrel wanna be that is fucking with his flock. Get a catapult. 

Fuck me for responding up thread. Sorry man, but yeah, the Shep was doing what Sheps do. I had them for both kids and fuck anyone/critter/ghoul who tried to mess with the kids. 

Sorry about the loss. RIP Henry. Hope there are lavender scented puppy pads waiting for you. 

Edited by InkaUtexas

On 1/18/2021 at 2:17 PM, Mighty fine said:

She just said enough of this shit and laid down the law to Henry; you are correct in your assessment that Henry's got to go.

Yep, the German shepherd instinct kicked in.  Henry fucked around and he found out.  If you want a dog that will protect your family and home (actually it’s also the dog’s family and home) then you can’t beat a German shepherd. They are all full of awesome.  I wish I had a big enough place to have five of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yep, the German shepherd instinct kicked in.  Henry fucked around and he found out.  If you want a dog that will protect your family and home (actually it’s also the dog’s family and home) then you can’t beat a German shepherd. They are all full of awesome.  I wish I had a big enough place to have five of them.

We had 5 at the farm and man, I never worried about a thing. Raccoons, methhead neighbor, nothing. Grew up with them and yeah, been bit by 3, always my fault for doing stupid shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Only thing I'm bummed about is Henry getting torn apart and sown back together instead of put down. There was an extra day he suffered and that's what I feel like was not fair to him.

Jojo is good, we had a meeting with a local dog trainer/behaviorist or whatever and my wife understands the situation better.

RIP henry

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Four words for dog owners with small children. Get a Bassett Hound.
If anything they might make your infants/toddlers sleep more. The most chill/peaceful dogs you'll ever encounter. They sleep 23 hours a day. They spend their 1 waking hour per day trying to get their tummies rubbed. 

My Bassett tried to get up once today but didn’t quite make it off her bed. Love the breed but you gotta have a fenced yard because they follow their nose and get lost really easily.

638651edea06f5dc098c616497b1c52d.jpg
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My Bassett tried to get up once today but didn’t quite make it off her bed. Love the breed but you gotta have a fenced yard because they follow their nose and get lost really easily.

638651edea06f5dc098c616497b1c52d.jpg

Haha. I have a heeler/basset mix. She was a whole lot of heeler, albeit with short legs, until she turned 5. Now she's like your photo. 

20210103_134235.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

Only thing I'm bummed about is Henry getting torn apart and sown back together instead of put down. There was an extra day he suffered and that's what I feel like was not fair to him.
Jojo is good, we had a meeting with a local dog trainer/behaviorist or whatever and my wife understands the situation better.
RIP henry

Don’t beat yourself up man. All you can do is what you think is best at that point in time with the info you have.

JoJo sounds like a badass though.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Shoot the little bastard. Give your big dog a treat for beating it’s ass and taking care of your son. Don’t try to pawn that shit off on someone else unless you tell them exactly what the deal is.

You don’t fix asshole dogs.

what do you to with posters who don't read the thread?

rip henry

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 5:19 PM, immamac said:

Something that the vet left out prior to surgery and we would have never consented to surgery if we knew. He is paralyzed in his rear legs with low likelihood of regaining function of them. He went with my mom to fort worth and luckily the folks at ridglea animal hospital are going to do a short notice euthanasia before they close tonight at 6PM. 

There is no reason to have him continue suffering if he will just heal and not be able to walk. Thank you all for the level headed responses and help. 

This was the right choice before you learned of paralysis.  I think it made it this long because it was a little dog.  The same behavior in a larger dog gets less runway.

Take the size of the dog out of the equation.

• Like 1