Bucs @ Packers: NFC Championship Game

Vic Mackey

Just now, dcar00 said:

on that play the defender actually turned his head to the side and the offensive player lowered his head.  It was helmet to helmet but the defender wasn't trying to torpedo him with his helmet.

where was the defender looking?

The rule is for HIS safety, as well.

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

wrong.

I'm not saying they are malicious, but the way you hit is deliberate.  The defender had his head down.  You're taught from Day1 of Pop Warner  not to do that.

You guys are saying two different things. You’re both right. He lowered his head and initiated contact with his head. But most helmet to helmet hits are so bang bang that the guy isn’t going in with the idea that he’s going to cost his team 15 yards.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

wrong.

I'm not saying they are malicious, but the way you hit is deliberate.  The defender had his head down.  You're taught from Day1 of Pop Warner  not to do that.

Yeah, but the penalty is not just for tackling with your head down, therefore guys are not intentionally committing head to heads.

My main point is that if it’s not malicious, then you shouldn’t get ejected just for having bad technique on a single play. 

Just now, slorch said:

where was the defender looking?

The rule is for HIS safety, as well.

he was going for the shoulder and receiver lowered his body and head.  the rule is for the receivers safety as well.  

you cant target the shoulder/chest anymore though.  you have to go for the stomach or lower.