Tennessee fires Jeremy Pruitt for cause, Fulmer to step down as AD, Josh Heupel hired

Machinator

Boobs Heupel?

They’re going to have to change it to Floppy Top. Or Sloppy Top. 

When PJ Fleck went to Minnesota, ESPN did the docu-series “Being PJ Fleck.” They should do one on Heupel called “Becoming Mark Mangino.” He’s well on his way. 

spacer.png

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, utexas8 said:

Yeah that’s about right, works out for both parties tbh

For Heupel, he’s gonna get destroyed, fired in 4-5 years, than go to his next job a say Tenn is a dumpster fire with all the penalties and such and I was just about to turn the corner with them.

For Tenn, they have their transition coach to absorb all the bullshit and scorched earth until they come out from the other side with whatever is left of their program. They’re using each other and it hilarious 

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

For Heupel, he’s gonna get destroyed, fired in 4-5 years, than go to his next job a say Tenn is a dumpster fire with all the penalties and such and I was just about to turn the corner with them.

For Tenn, they have their transition coach to absorb all the bullshit and scorched earth until they come out from the other side with whatever is left of their program. They’re using each other and it hilarious 

I'd give it half that.

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Boobs Heupel?

They’re going to have to change it to Floppy Top. Or Sloppy Top. 

When PJ Fleck went to Minnesota, ESPN did the docu-series “Being PJ Fleck.” They should do one on Heupel called “Becoming Mark Mangino.” He’s well on his way. 

spacer.png

Floppy Top, you’ll always be

a man with double D’s

Good Ol’ Floppy Top (Boobs!)

Floppy Top Tennessee

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'd give it half that.

Contract terms will be interesting.  I can't fathom fathom Heupel taking that job without 5 years guaranteed minimum. I bet it's more than 5.   I mean everyone remotely competent realizes there is a next to zero chance TN is winning with their current situation in next few years but unfortunately for them they have a fanbase that will have completely unrealistic expectations.  I can't fathom he would take that job without knowing he's set for life on the back end if it doesn't work.

Edited by Skipper

It's always a mystery to me how people in athletics are fat.  I know they work long hours, I get that, but they're surrounded by an entire S&C ecosystem and they're at least walking a lot during the day at practice.  

There's also the PR aspect.  You rarely see fat CEO's and HC's are essentially a CEO.  He needs to clean it up.

On the flip side, I was glad to see him get a second chance.  He was a complete abortion as an OC at OU but seemed to learn from his failures judging by his subsequent stops.  Shows people can grow, mature, and adapt.

• Hook 'Em 3

• Machinator changed the title to Tennessee fires Jeremy Pruitt for cause, Fulmer to step down as AD, Josh Heupel hired
1 hour ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Mike Shulaesque

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Contract terms will be interesting.  I can't fathom fathom Heupel taking that job without 5 years guaranteed minimum. I bet it's more than 5.   I mean everyone remotely competent realizes there is a next to zero chance TN is winning with their current situation in next few years but unfortunately for them they have a fanbase that will have completely unrealistic expectations.  I can't fathom he would take that job without knowing he's set for life on the back end if it doesn't work.

Has there been a P5 contract less than 5 years lately?  Seems like the only negotiation is whether the coach is paid in a lump sum or in payments after he gets shit canned. 

38 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It's always a mystery to me how people in athletics are fat.  I know they work long hours, I get that, but they're surrounded by an entire S&C ecosystem and they're at least walking a lot during the day at practice.  

There's also the PR aspect.  You rarely see fat CEO's and HC's are essentially a CEO.  He needs to clean it up.

On the flip side, I was glad to see him get a second chance.  He was a complete abortion as an OC at OU but seemed to learn from his failures judging by his subsequent stops.  Shows people can grow, mature, and adapt.

I don’t think Heupel has ever been big into S&C himself. When he played at OU, he looked like Elf on a Shelf. Now he’s just on the opposite end of the spectrum. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'd give it half that.

This.   Tennessee is in a bad spot where the fans are expecting 12 win seasons.   To get those 12, unlike UCF, they need to go through Georgia, and Bama, and Florida, who are all set up pretty well talentwise.  

The best chance Huepel has is the SEC goes down to 6 conference games.   Oh, and this:

2018 UCF 12–1
2019 UCF 10–3
2020 UCF 6–4

8 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

This.   Tennessee is in a bad spot where the fans are expecting 12 win seasons.   To get those 12, unlike UCF, they need to go through Georgia, and Bama, and Florida, who are all set up pretty well talentwise.  

The best chance Huepel has is the SEC goes down to 6 conference games.   Oh, and this:

2018 UCF 12–1
2019 UCF 10–3
2020 UCF 6–4

Considering what he is inheriting, the downward trajectory should continue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So all the Vols fans are going to be pissed....

My personal favorite was “too bad Texas had an opening, Sark would have been an easy choice”. That ignores the obvious fact that Sark would have turned them down because that is not the type of job he should be taking out of the Bama coaching rehab program and there is no way the coaches that came here with him would go there...

Tenn fans are delusional and I am sorta upset that Turtle Tom didn’t land there, just for the chaos and stupidity that would have came with it.

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wow, some of that sounds familiar. 

I feel like TN is our fanbase on steroids.  My  friend that is a TN fan is just dismayed and it has nothing to do with the Heupel hire.  He follows closely and thinks they were a QB away from having a solid roster.  That Fulmer completely dropped an atomic bomb on the program in order to avoid paying Pruitt's buyout is the most TN thing ever.   Fulmer is Exhibit A why an old ball coach has zero business running an athletic dept.  Imagine how much better off they would be right now if that moron Clay Travis hadn't instigated a fan revolt against Schiano (who is a damn good coach) resulting in this chain of events of giving Fulmer power and eventually hiring/firing Pruitt.   

Now seeing the numbers, you can see why the deal made sense for Heupel to roll the dice.  He's basically set regardless of how this plays out.  $4MM annually for 6 years with the below buyout protection.  He was making $2.3MM at UCF.

"If Tennessee fires Heupel without cause before Dec. 15, 2023, it would owe him the remaining salary on his contract. His buyout drops to 75% of the remaining salary if he is fired between Dec. 15, 2023, and Dec. 15, 2025. It drops to 50% for the final two years.

Solid buyout protections for Heupel. 100% of salary for first 3 years then drops to 75%."

Edited by Skipper