Is Deshaun Watson Done in Houston?

Vic Mackey

What’s so bad it cant be said on the tv?

Former NFL quarterback and current ESPN analyst Dan Orlovsky stated on "Get Up'' that the situation "is worse than what's being reported. It's worse than what can be said on television," and that he does not believe Watson will ever play for the Texans again. Orlovsky stated that there are "deeply-rooted" issues with how the Texans treat their players, and specifically star players. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/situation-between-deshaun-watson-and-texans-is-reportedly-worse-than-originally-thought/

If Watson left with Bieniemy coming in, that would be interesting to say the least.  It seems like that relationship could become dynamic as hell if the Texans picked up an elite TE, WR, 2-3 other WRs with elite speed, and a decent OL.

yeah.  Watson is likely gone...

I was a charter season ticket holder for the Texans and had them for the first 3 seasons.  I had to give them up because I moved out of state and by the time I moved back, the organization was so very obviously not well run, I didn't think it was worth my investment.  Growing up an Oilers fan, I so wanted the Texans to fill the void made by their leaving and maybe even take that next step.  However, after the debacle about the fight song in 2003, it was clear that the McNairs were far outside of their element in the NFL.

For those who don't know, they already had that Clay Walker song which was pretty popular with the fans, but they decided they needed an official song.  So they had about 3 or 4 other songs produced, and then let the fans and season ticket holders vote on them.  The Walker song was far and away the leading vote-getter.  When the time came, they introduced a God awful, operatic-classical crossover that Bob McNair very openly said was his wife Janice's favorite and that's why they selected it.  They completely ignored the fan vote.  When they officially introduced the song before a game, the boos were so loud throughout the entire song, they never played or spoke of it again.  I knew at that moment the organization was a shit show.  Nothing that's happened since has convinced me otherwise.  Ownership is completely disconnected from the fan base.  So ya, all you have to do is figure out what the Texans SHOULD do, look in the opposite direction, and you'll see what they WILL do.  Every.  Fucking.  Time.

• Hook 'Em 2

If I were the Bears, I would offer Mack, Eddie Jackson, and a 1st rounder for him. Also, throw in Foles as the new QB backup.

The Bears are pretty poorly run too, cheap as shit and historically doesn’t like “athletic” QBs(wink wink). So we’ll be stuck with Trubisky(who could be serviceable with the proper coaching/system).

texans suck. i was goddamn oilers fan and i cannot for the life of me like you. your name sucks, your unis suck, you suck. you couldn't manage to wipe your ass without firing one of the few competent people you have on the team.

anyway, i don't really give a shit. also in unpopular opinions and all - i think Watson is a bit overrated. but hard to tell when your team is the football equivalent of nurse rachet

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, TexasGolf said:

Owners and NFL were having disagreements.  Nothing to do with kneeling or protests.  Bob called out NFL saying "you (NFL) work for us, we (Owners) don't work for you" - hence inmates running the prison analogy.  Vincent got mad, power play and went to the press.  Total out of context BS. 

I've found, literally, nothing to back that.   Nearly every report, which comes from the same sources, state that, like you say it was between the owners and the NFL, the conversation was clearly about the anthem.   Per earlier request, got a link to your take?

The recent ownership meetings, which became dominated by the anthem controversy, included plenty of interesting and compelling moments. Arguably the most inflammatory moment came when, according to Seth Wickersham and Don Van Natta. Jr. of ESPN.com, Texans owner Bob McNair used a common figure of speech when referring to the power the players have acquired via the question of whether they’ll stand for the national anthem.

“We can’t have the inmates running the prison,” McNair said.

The remark came during an ownership-only session, without current players present. A former player, NFL executive V.P. of football operations Troy Vincent, reportedly took issue with the remark. He explained during the meeting that, even though he had been called “every name in the book” during his playing career, not once did he feel like an “inmate.”

Via the report, Vincent and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones then engaged in a “sharp but quick back-and-forth,” as Jones pointed out that it was the league’s owners who built the business and it is the league’s owners who will decide what to do about the situation. McNair would later apologize to Vincent, explaining (per the report) that McNair didn’t mean his words to be taken literally.

While McNair’s apology was warranted, “inmates running the asylum” is a common reference to situations where leadership is surrendered to those supposedly being led. Still, the choice of words invites the same kind of criticism that literal interpretation of the phrase “son of a bitch” sparked after President Trump used that term in reference to players who fail to stand for the anthem.

3 hours ago, staboner said:

texans suck. i was goddamn oilers fan and i cannot for the life of me like you. your name sucks, your unis suck, you suck. you couldn't manage to wipe your ass without firing one of the few competent people you have on the team.

anyway, i don't really give a shit. also in unpopular opinions and all - i think Watson is a bit overrated. but hard to tell when your team is the football equivalent of nurse rachet

The curse of Vince Young. Those dumb fucks had a chance to draft a Texas legend. Instead, they’re NFL aggy. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, staboner said:

Dittos.  Everything you said.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

The curse of Vince Young. Those dumb fucks had a chance to draft a Texas legend. Instead, they’re NFL aggy. 

When the Texans didn’t draft Vince, I sent them email telling them they were idiots for no other reason missing out on huge opportunity to increase their fan base and marketing.  Got an email back from their GM telling me that their choice, some DE, was best fit for their needs, have great career.  Sure enough, the DE was mediocre and gone in few seasons.  Hated the Texans ever since for being so galactic stupid that continues today.  Fuck those morons.

• Hook 'Em 8

15 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

When the Texans didn’t draft Vince, I sent them email telling them they were idiots for no other reason missing out on huge opportunity to increase their fan base and marketing.  Got an email back from their GM telling me that their choice, some DE, was best fit for their needs, have great career.  Sure enough, the DE was mediocre and gone in few seasons.  Hated the Texans ever since for being so galactic stupid that continues today.  Fuck those morons.

Lol. Mario Williams was with the Texans for 6 years and in the NFL for 11. He made 4 pro bowls. A far cry from mediocre. As much as you might hate it, Williams was the better player. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Lol. Mario Williams was with the Texans for 6 years and in the NFL for 11. He made 4 pro bowls. A far cry from mediocre. As much as you might hate it, Williams was the better player. 

This.  I love Vince and wanted to see him in Houston, but it's hard to look at their respective careers and say the Texans made the wrong choice.  

And the "NFL aggy" thing some of y'all do is really, really stupid.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

There is a guy at the hamburger store that has 7 employee of the month plaques, and Dr. Offit only created one vaccine. Hard to argue with the plaques on the wall.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

This.  I love Vince and wanted to see him in Houston, but it's hard to look at their respective careers and say the Texans made the wrong choice.  
And the "NFL aggy" thing some of y'all do is really, really stupid.

One had support of the coach.

The other had a coach that was gaslighting him and has a history of fucking around with QBs (Billy Volek’s departure was a clear indication of how he operated and played sports media).
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

One had support of the coach.

The other had a coach that was gaslighting him and has a history of fucking around with QBs (Billy Volek’s departure was a clear indication of how he operated and played sports media).

That's a fair point.  But folks on here try to act as if Mario was some kind of bust and *obviously* the Texans should've taken Vince.  Except that Mario racked up almost 100 career sacks.  The Texans went with an immediate impact pass rusher instead of a rookie qb who wasn't a very accurate thrower and no franchise receiver or tight end yet to help him.  It's actually really hard to argue with that logic if you're not a blind Longhorn homer.

16 hours ago, OWLVIS said:

I worked closely with the Harris County Houston Sports  Authority and was privy to enough  interactions with the McNairs.

They are of the  prosperity gospel mindset, they think they are rich because they are more moral than others. And therefore the better you are morally the more successful you will be. Hence why Cal loves Easterby , " immorality" is why the rid themselves from Nuke, its why theyve made several personnel decisions  not just football.. its reached a breaking point and many inside the organization current and former just want to blow the whole thing up

people have been fired for affairs, being gay even having a gay family members... when they left  they were given a generous pay out because the Texans have no problem spending$$. Much more to come

tenor.gif?itemid=14383467

20 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

That's a fair point.  But folks on here try to act as if Mario was some kind of bust and *obviously* the Texans should've taken Vince.  Except that Mario racked up almost 100 career sacks.  The Texans went with an immediate impact pass rusher instead of a rookie qb who wasn't a very accurate thrower and no franchise receiver or tight end yet to help him.  It's actually really hard to argue with that logic if you're not a blind Longhorn homer.

They remind me of Miami.  When they had issues at QB they tried to solve it by drafting defense and looking to trade for Browns castaways and holding try-outs at Boca Del Vista.   Mario was a fine player.   VY would have made a greater impact at Houston than in Nashville.  VY presence on the field made a below average RB a super star.  Add in an elite WR instead of scrubs and we could have really seen him thrive.   

• Hook 'Em 4

My Twitter TL is getting hammered with this story and I'm ready for it to be over. When you're agreeing with Brian Smith ("Deshaun needs to put his name to it") and also agreeing with zealot fans protesting outside the team facility to show support for DW4 and ire at Jack Easterby, then this shit has jumped the shark. 

Cal McNair isn't going anywhere and he's the same guy he was when Watson signed his extension. I love Deshaun, he's my Terrell Owens quarterback, but he kinda does need to stfu with his cryptic tweets because that's not helping the situation. 

Either kiss and make up or trade him, but in the meantime he needs to stop fanning the flames since he's the one who signed that contract. If reconciliation is impossible, it's important that he not tank his trade value by running his mouth about how unhappy he is. 

Someone please just make this go away.....

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Mario had the better career and could be argued the better player, but he was still the wrong choice. If the Texans would have been a contender then yes, a DE can be the difference maker (Haley to Cowboys for example). But, they were an expansion franchise lacking impact talent and depth. You draft Vince to build the fan base and be able to run for his life. Vince made other players better, Mario did not. The win/loss record would not have been significantly different most likely, but having Andre to throw to would have been much different from what he had in Tennessee.

• Hook 'Em 4

17 hours ago, Bevo said:

I think part of the problem is that Cal treats the Texans like it is a charity. So he plays with it like a toy and shapes it as he sees fit. I don't think he treats it like an important business and makes decisions based on desires and not based upon making the team better.

The problem is that you can basically manage an NFL franchise as poorly as possible and its value still goes up due to the league itself continuing to be massively popular.

4 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Ok, agree Mario wasn’t mediocre but we will never know about Vince because he was fucked on day one with Fisher and think his career probably turned out much better if he had gotten drafted by Texans.  

• Hook 'Em 1

It's really a shame, talented qb, but Watson has made himself too toxic to the organzation to try to resuscitate that relationship and grip on realiity. They fucked up by telling him he would have that kind of input, which was a pretty absurd idea for a 25 year old qb that hasn't won them anything close to a Superbowl. That's a rare thing that he's demanding.

Time to scuttle the team and rebuild. They should be able to find a qb hungry team that will pay a hefty price, despite the new baggage.

• Hook 'Em 2

If I were the Texans I would dangle Watson to the Jets for Darnold and the number 2 pick. That's not likely to happen, but perhaps the Jets trade down a few spots and then make a deal like that, maybe in additon to a later pick or another useful player. I personally think Darnold still has a shot at being really good if he could land in a good spot, but I also hate to see him be fucked up by another shitty franchise.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

If I were the Texans I would dangle Watson to the Jets for Darnold and the number 2 pick. That's not likely to happen, but perhaps the Jets trade down a few spots and then make a deal like that, maybe in additon to a later pick or another useful player. I personally think Darnold still has a shot at being really good if he could land in a good spot, but I also hate to see him be fucked up by another shitty franchise.

You’d be probably a worse GM than BoB. They should be able to get Darnell, the #2 and 3 or 4 other picks, including some firsts next year and the year after. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, DougO said:

The Chiefs should be able to get both Mitch Trubisky and one first rounder for Mahomes. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's really a shame, talented qb, but Watson has made himself too toxic to the organzation to try to resuscitate that relationship and grip on realiity. They fucked up by telling him he would have that kind of input, which was a pretty absurd idea for a 25 year old qb that hasn't won them anything close to a Superbowl. That's a rare thing that he's demanding.
Time to scuttle the team and rebuild. They should be able to find a qb hungry team that will pay a hefty price, despite the new baggage.

Your attempt to shift blame for this to Watson is really interesting.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Your attempt to shift blame for this to Watson is really interesting.

The Texans keep screwing up at every chance, but if you step back and the situation is “young star QB who just signed 4 year extension for second most money in NFL history demands a trade because he didn’t get input on new GM hire” it does make Deshaun look like a diva. It’s easy to pick on the Texans because they are perpetual screw ups, but if this was Quarterback X playing for Team Y the consensus would probably be “since when does a player under contract get to dictate front office hires or threaten to force a sub value trade?”

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The Texans keep screwing up at every chance, but if you step back and the situation is “young star QB who just signed 4 year extension for second most money in NFL history demands a trade because he didn’t get input on new GM hire” it does make Deshaun look like a diva. It’s easy to pick on the Texans because they are perpetual screw ups, but if this was Quarterback X playing for Team Y the consensus would probably be “since when does a player under contract get to dictate front office hires or threaten to force a sub value trade?”

He was promised something, and it wasn't delivered. The outcome was also due to the toxicity that had been plaguing the Texans franchise for a while. He lost his faith and trust in the ownership as a result. The contract was done in good faith, but as we all know contracts in football don't mean much.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

It's as easy as, he's a top 5 QB and you should probably do what you can to keep him happy. Especially if the "demands" are, hey, i'd like you to speak with this guy, and tell me what direction you'll be going overall so i know what to expect. Oh and also fire the obvious dipshit who contributes literally nothing while i risk life and limb playing every week.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Pretty sure he was simply asking the Texans organization to keep the promise they made when they signed him long term. The first opportunity they got to break that promise, they did. Im sure he feels like he was sold a bill of goods so that he would agree to sign on the dotted line. Stop looking at this like “why should a 25 year old qb be able to have input on a GM hire”. The answer is, because he was told that was going to happen. That’s why. The only lesson here is don’t make promises that you can’t or don’t want to keep. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Pretty sure he was simply asking the Texans organization to keep the promise they made when they signed him long term. The first opportunity they got to break that promise, they did. Im sure he feels like he was sold a bill of goods so that he would agree to sign on the dotted line. Stop looking at this like “why should a 25 year old qb be able to have input on a GM hire”. The answer is, because he was told that was going to happen. That’s why. The only lesson here is don’t make promises that you can’t or don’t want to keep. 

Get it in writing, bruh.

33 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

The lesson is when you realize something is rotten, move on. I've been a Texan fan, but had not read or heard anything about Easterby. Now that I have, and learned about the prosperity theology beliefs of the McNair's, the dysfunction and incompetence of the Texan administration makes sense. They've been taken in by a philosophy that is, in reality, simply meant to enable grifters, and they've now promoted one to Executive Vice President of Football Operations. A fucking conman preacher.

Jerry Jones shouldn't be mentioned in a conversation with these clowns. He's 100x the owner that Cal is. If I had Texans gear, I'd be donating it in short order.

Edit to add: Hell, he fucking looks like a conman pederast:

spacer.png

Edited by softlynow
JFC
  • Hook 'Em 3

The situation is a mutual clusterfuck. Watson has done himself no favors in handling his side of it and has potentially weakened his value. I am not a Texans fan or hater, but I like good (nonaggy) football in the state of Texas where it belongs. I hope the relationship can still be salvaged. Watson's scorched earth tirades aren't helping, and even if he somehow sticks around it's likely to remain an issue.

12 minutes ago, DougO said:

The situation is a mutual clusterfuck. Watson has done himself no favors in handling his side of it and has potentially weakened his value. I am not a Texans fan or hater, but I like good (nonaggy) football in the state of Texas where it belongs. I hope the relationship can still be salvaged. Watson's scorched earth tirades aren't helping, and even if he somehow sticks around it's likely to remain an issue.

Watson's scorched earth tirades? What are you talking about?