Is Deshaun Watson Done in Houston?

Vic Mackey

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He's a franchise quarterback. Start messing with his money, and then we'll see if he'll blindly follow his agent. Watson will either stick with his agent, and they'll have to trade him, or he'll dismiss his agent and possibly remain with the Texans. 

If you're the Texans you have to dig in and hope for option 2 because something better is not going to walk through the door. 

Option #2 doesn't exist here. David is a good guy and good agent. His clients absolutely love him and know he has their best interest at heart. He's already explained the holdout scenarios to Deshaun. It's his choice now. If he decides to hold out, he won't fire his agent and cave. Will not happen.

The Texans should at least pick up the phone to listen to offers. All the news reports coming out are saying they haven’t picked up the phone and interested teams are leaving voicemails. 

From the same team that traded Hopkins away for a song and a dance. Picked up a busted running back. Bought Brock sight unseen and immediately had to dump him and his contract for nada. I don’t know what happened to make Watson changed his stance so quickly. I know Cal confirmed Watson was promised more say and they went back on that. I have no doubt Easterby and his crazy ideas are part of it. But a lot has changed over the last 18 months. Maybe some day we will know precisely what.

I just can’t imagine not even hearing what other teams are offering. You have to negotiate a bit. Maybe their tune will change in April. But it seems like TPTB at the Texans are dug in on keeping him. They have no picks for like two years and cap hell. I don’t understand them at all. 

56 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Giving your signing bonus back doesn’t dissolve your contract and make you a free agent. Otherwise, contracts would be pretty meaningless. 

I believe the rumors that the Texans want 4 #1’s or 3 #1’s plus a defensive starter on a rookie contract. A top 5 QB in his mid 20’s with 5 years remaining on his contract is probably worth that (and Texans will be eating $22M of that contract on his new team’s behalf). The prize is obviously the Jets’ #2 pick, so they could have their choice of non-Lawrence QBs or better yet trade down with Falcons or Panthers and get another big draft pick while still staying in the top 10 this year. The Dolphins’ (formerly the Texans’) #3 pick is probably worth significantly less this year because the second best QB will be off the board. Any trade with the 49ers or Bears will probably be trash value (all late first rounders...even this year’s #12 from SF isn’t a slam dunk to get you a perennial pro bowler or yield big value on a trade down).

The prize is the Jets’ #2, though Carolina has some serious young, rookie contract defensive talent they could throw into the mix....

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I just can’t imagine not even hearing what other teams are offering. You have to negotiate a bit. Maybe their tune will change in April. But it seems like TPTB at the Texans are dug in on keeping him. They have no picks for like two years and cap hell. I don’t understand them at all. 

Keep in mind we don’t actually know they’re not listening to offers. They might leak that to put interested parties on notice that the price is a King’s ransom, and Watson’s agent, who’s been leaking more shit than a barrel shroud used as a toilet drain, might out that out there to continue to embarrass the Texans.

50 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Option #2 doesn't exist here. David is a good guy and good agent. His clients absolutely love him and know he has their best interest at heart. He's already explained the holdout scenarios to Deshaun. It's his choice now. If he decides to hold out, he won't fire his agent and cave. Will not happen.

I say burn it down to the ground if that’s what it takes. Let it go all season. The Texans have leverage and Watson can go screw. They’ll never get back equal value in a Watson trade. Watson signed a contract with following in place : Cal as owner, Easterby employed, Bill O’Brien as coach. Nobody held a gun to his head. 

Would the Chiefs trade Mahomes? That’s about what we’re talking about here. Watson is better than the following young quarterbacks: Mayfield, Allen, Murray, and Herbert. Trading Watson all but scuttles the organization. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

I say burn it down to the ground if that’s what it takes. Let it go all season. The Texans have leverage and Watson can go screw. They’ll never get back equal value in a Watson trade. Watson signed a contract with following in place : Cal as owner, Easterby employed, Bill O’Brien as coach. Nobody held a gun to his head. 

Would the Chiefs trade Mahomes? That’s about what we’re talking about here. Watson is better than the following young quarterbacks: Mayfield, Allen, Murray, and Herbert. Trading Watson all but scuttles the organization. 

Agree 100%, but eventually he'll get traded for far less value if this plays out.

If I'm the new GM, I'm not going to start off my tenure cutting JJ and trading Deshaun, unless it's for a whole team...

Deshaun is the only asset the team has. You don't just trade away your only asset because the player is unhappy.

They don't want to trade him, anyway.

27 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

They have no picks for like two years and cap hell. I don’t understand them at all.

They have all of their 2022 picks plus a couple of extras. While they don’t have a 1st or 2nd this year, they still have 7 picks. Their cap situation isn’t ideal but isn’t dire. 

9 minutes ago, Snacks said:

If I'm the new GM, I'm not going to start off my tenure cutting JJ and trading Deshaun, unless it's for a whole team...

Deshaun is the only asset the team has. You don't just trade away your only asset because the player is unhappy.

They don't want to trade him, anyway.

So you make him play publicly unhappy?  Have you seen how that goes?  What's the end game for Houston?  What are the percentages/chances they can make right with Watson and win back his trust?  I'm gonna put it at remote.

This should help....

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Agree 100%, but eventually he'll get traded for far less value if this plays out.

I unfortunately agree. Easterby’s Bible Thumpers will dig up something disreputable on Watson, and they’ll deal him for a 32 year old running back and a 3rd pick in 2029. 

The Jets have all the chips here. The oldest running back in the league to dangle and plenty of late round picks. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

What good player would ever want to sign a contract with the Texans after what has transpired with Hopkins, JJ, and now Deshaun?  Who gives a shit if Deshaun is their only asset?  They went 4-12 with him last year.  They are a complete failure of a franchise and they should just burn everything down and start over anyway.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The Texans should at least pick up the phone to listen to offers. All the news reports coming out are saying they haven’t picked up the phone and interested teams are leaving voicemails. 

From the same team that traded Hopkins away for a song and a dance. Picked up a busted running back. Bought Brock sight unseen and immediately had to dump him and his contract for nada. I don’t know what happened to make Watson changed his stance so quickly. I know Cal confirmed Watson was promised more say and they went back on that. I have no doubt Easterby and his crazy ideas are part of it. But a lot has changed over the last 18 months. Maybe some day we will know precisely what.

Throw in Boseli, Carr getting destroyed, Kubiak collapsing,  Inmates comment, among other crazy shit, and you have a 30 for 30 on the most dysfunctional team in pro sports.  Only the talents of Amy Palcic has kept all this shit under control.   She's gone now.   Hold onto your hat.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What exactly do you think is going on here? Watson signed the contract because he's supremely loyal and the Texans went back on their word. It's not Deshaun "following his agent," he would have played for this broke ass shitkicker organization out of loyalty for the rest of his career, and the Texans pissed that away. 

The best option for both sides is not to burn it to the fucking ground like a tantruming toddler, it's to trade him and get an inanse haul of picks and a few solid contributors. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The Jets and the Dolphins seem like the only logical destinations, but if I'm Deshaun why in the wide wide world of sports would he want to go to the Jets?  They have zero credibility in building a winner.  They hire and fire coaches every other year.  They are one of the 5 worst franchises in the NFL.  The Dolphins would be the most logical place for him to land.  They have drafted very well over the last several years, are very well coached, and are poised to breakthrough if the get good QB play.  The Dolphins don't seem to be in a hurry to part with all of their draft capitol and I don't necessarily blame them.  I think they can win big with the defense they are building and Tua playing field general...meaning they don't need anything really special from the QB position.  All this to say, I think the Texans are really kind of fucked in that nobody wants to pay the price to get Watson but they can't take another shitty deal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Giving your signing bonus back doesn’t dissolve your contract and make you a free agent. Otherwise, contracts would be pretty meaningless. 

I believe the rumors that the Texans want 4 #1’s or 3 #1’s plus a defensive starter on a rookie contract. A top 5 QB in his mid 20’s with 5 years remaining on his contract is probably worth that (and Texans will be eating $22M of that contract on his new team’s behalf). The prize is obviously the Jets’ #2 pick, so they could have their choice of non-Lawrence QBs or better yet trade down with Falcons or Panthers and get another big draft pick while still staying in the top 10 this year. The Dolphins’ (formerly the Texans’) #3 pick is probably worth significantly less this year because the second best QB will be off the board. Any trade with the 49ers or Bears will probably be trash value (all late first rounders...even this year’s #12 from SF isn’t a slam dunk to get you a perennial pro bowler or yield big value on a trade down).

It wouldn't surprise me if the Texans fuck this up and trade it away Watson and four first round picks somehow.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Throw in Boseli, Carr getting destroyed, Kubiak collapsing,  Inmates comment, among other crazy shit, and you have a 30 for 30 on the most dysfunctional team in pro sports.  Only the talents of Amy Palcic has kept all this shit under control.   She's gone now.   Hold onto your hat.

Taking Boselli in the expansion draft was a condition of Jacksonville putting Gary Walker and Seth Payne into the pool. It’s not like taking him caused them to pass on a better option, and they had to hit a minimum salary level anyway. He hit their cap for for $6MM and retired after one year...

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 2

The organization has scuttled itself. Watson played with a collapsed lung and is heading into the prime of his career. His leverage is that he is the only thing of value in that organization and has already experienced pain and failure.

I’m not sure how bad the holdout rules are, but he could pull a Kawhi and milk an injury. He likely already has an injury that an independent physician could verify.

He shows up. Does what he wants. Calls the plays he wants. Reports all injuries.

It’d be different if he wasn’t already one of the best players in the league and a natural leader.

The 5th year of his rookie deal comes before the 4 year extension begins. I’m not sure how the Covid opt out benefits Watson more than the Texans. They get to kick the can down the road and still control the next 5 seasons of his career whenever he returns, while Watson loses a year of his prime sitting on a couch. 

7 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

The 5th year of his rookie deal comes before the 4 year extension begins. I’m not sure how the Covid opt out benefits Watson more than the Texans. They get to kick the can down the road and still control the next 5 seasons of his career whenever he returns, while Watson loses a year of his prime sitting on a couch. 

He's already said he'd sit out.  This allows him to do so without fines, penalty or giving up his bonus.  Meanwhile..... Texans continue to suck, have no draw, and still have a very unhappy player next offseason.  If he's serious about sitting out then this is a possible alternative.  I still think missing all the offseason, coming back for week 1 and then sitting out for any injury would be his most probable course if Houston continues to play hardball. 

13 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I still think missing all the offseason, coming back for week 1 and then sitting out for any injury would be his most probable course if Houston continues to play hardball. 

No matter which team or player is involved, I hope the team and league would take a player to task for blatant fake injuries after a trade demand and hold out, and not give him credit for the season. The team has done nothing to violate or evade either of the contracts Watson signed. What is the point of a contract if a player can just get out of it any time the situation (front office, coaching staff, roster, draft picks, cap situation, or player’s personal life) changes? Watson isn’t the first player in professional sports to believe he was misled or lied to. The Texans suck, Cal is an idiot, Easterby is a fraud and snake, BoB emptied the cupboard. From a fan's perspective, I don’t think any of that warrants dissolution of Watson’s contractual obligations. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He's already said he'd sit out.  This allows him to do so without fines, penalty or giving up his bonus.  Meanwhile..... Texans continue to suck, have no draw, and still have a very unhappy player next offseason.  If he's serious about sitting out then this is a possible alternative.  I still think missing all the offseason, coming back for week 1 and then sitting out for any injury would be his most probable course if Houston continues to play hardball. 

Lol you think you can just say “I’m hurt” and it’s all good?

Irrelevant - this all presumes DeShaun would lie about being hurt when he’s not. That won’t happen; he’s not that kind of man...

Edited by Ignatius

I completely agree. He won't fake injury but he will do everything within the system to avoid coming back to Houston.  If he has no choice, he will play and play well.  I never imagined that I would say this, but they really need to get what they can and let him go.  This is going to get very ugly and it's a game the Texans cannot win.  He wins in the court of public opinion on this one.  This is 100% on Cal. 

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

No matter which team or player is involved, I hope the team and league would take a player to task for blatant fake injuries after a trade demand and hold out, and not give him credit for the season. The team has done nothing to violate or evade either of the contracts Watson signed. What is the point of a contract if a player can just get out of it any time the situation (front office, coaching staff, roster, draft picks, cap situation, or player’s personal life) changes? Watson isn’t the first player in professional sports to believe he was misled or lied to. The Texans suck, Cal is an idiot, Easterby is a fraud and snake, BoB emptied the cupboard. From a fan's perspective, I don’t think any of that warrants dissolution of Watson’s contractual obligations. 

BitterMetallicCommongonolek-small.gif

And Hate gets it..... It's not that he'll fake an injury, it's simply he'll be out of shape and milk them.

He knows where this is headed. 
If you don’t align 100% with Cal and Easterly political and religious views you are traded or fired. 

He knows good FA’s aren’t going to join. Also any 2-4 year drafted players that are worth a shit will never re-sign with them. 

1 minute ago, Shaddie said:

He knows where this is headed. 
If you don’t align 100% with Cal and Easterly political and religious views you are traded or fired. 

He knows good FA’s aren’t going to join. Also any 2-4 year drafted players that are worth a shit will never re-sign with them. 

He did

11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He did

Bullshit. 

They traded Hopkins after Watson signed. They fired equipment manager and front office people a few weeks ago. They told him he would be in on front office decisions and then completely went against that. 
Then hired a lifetime “low level” assistant to be HC. 
If you think think he was hired cause he has a great football mind then I have some great properties to sell you. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The real problem they have, and it's been mentioned many times, is that they have one of the least talented rosters, no high draft picks, and no cap room to bring in free agents.  No free agents will want to sign here after this debacle anyway.  All of this was fixable with a little patience, a good hire at coach and GM, and nailing the picks they do have.  Cal is solely responsible for this.  It will take years for them to recover from the first few years of Cal's stewardship.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/25/2021 at 7:20 PM, IDIOTsavant said:

he may be a good dude but he isn’t being a good agent. deshaun is naive and getting awful advice. 

• Fuck You 1

Peter King put together a few different trade proposals he thought Houston might entertain for Watson. As a Vikings fan, I love this hypothetical deal which has a less than 1% chance of happening. But it's a fascinating 3 team trade that would be awesome for the Vikes' offense (Watson, Cook, Thielen and Jefferson....DAAAAMN), gives San Fran an upgrade at QB (Cousins over Jimmy G) and keeps their SB window ajar if not open, and gives Houston a stud LB (Barr), a young RB who's flashed potential & is still on his rookie deal (Mattison), a serviceable QB (Garoppolo) for one year plus the 12th and 14th overall picks this year which puts them square in the hunt to draft a QB this spring.

Do it, Houston!

• SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS/MINNESOTA VIKINGS. This is centered on the premise that San Francisco would not want to rip apart a team and a future, and might be willing to take a lesser deal for a quarterback Shanahan has long admired. And also that Caserio, in the heart of the draft room in 2014 when the Patriots made Garoppolo a second-round pick, would want to try again with Jimmy G. It’s a wing and a prayer, but fascinating to me.

Peter King Proposal: The Vikings send quarterback Kirk Cousins to San Francisco. The Niners send Garoppolo to Houston, if, of course, he’d waive his no-trade. The Texans send Watson to Minnesota. In return: the Niners send their first-round pick in 2021 (12th overall) to Houston, and they’re out. (So San Francisco would be trading Garoppolo and a one to Houston and getting Cousins with two years left on his contract.) The Vikings would send linebacker Anthony Barr and running back Alexander Mattison plus their first-round picks in 2021 (14th overall) and 2023, and second-round picks in 2022 and 2023 in exchange for Watson. Houston’s haul: Garoppolo, two ones this year, a one in 2023, and two second-round picks.

• Like 1

Peter King put together a few different trade proposals he thought Houston might entertain for Watson. As a Vikings fan, I love this hypothetical deal which has a less than 1% chance of happening. But it's a fascinating 3 team trade that would be awesome for the Vikes' offense (Watson, Cook, Thielen and Jefferson....DAAAAMN), gives San Fran an upgrade at QB (Cousins over Jimmy G) and keeps their SB window ajar if not open, and gives Houston a stud LB (Barr), a young RB who's flashed potential & is still on his rookie deal (Mattison), a serviceable QB (Garoppolo) for one year plus the 12th and 14th overall picks this year which puts them square in the hunt to draft a QB this spring.
Do it, Houston!

• SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS/MINNESOTA VIKINGS. This is centered on the premise that San Francisco would not want to rip apart a team and a future, and might be willing to take a lesser deal for a quarterback Shanahan has long admired. And also that Caserio, in the heart of the draft room in 2014 when the Patriots made Garoppolo a second-round pick, would want to try again with Jimmy G. It’s a wing and a prayer, but fascinating to me.

Peter King Proposal: The Vikings send quarterback Kirk Cousins to San Francisco. The Niners send Garoppolo to Houston, if, of course, he’d waive his no-trade. The Texans send Watson to Minnesota. In return: the Niners send their first-round pick in 2021 (12th overall) to Houston, and they’re out. (So San Francisco would be trading Garoppolo and a one to Houston and getting Cousins with two years left on his contract.) The Vikings would send linebacker Anthony Barr and running back Alexander Mattison plus their first-round picks in 2021 (14th overall) and 2023, and second-round picks in 2022 and 2023 in exchange for Watson. Houston’s haul: Garoppolo, two ones this year, a one in 2023, and two second-round picks.

So for this to work the Niners would have to send Jimmy G AND the #12 pick for Kirk Cousins? Um, no.

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

So for this to work the Niners would have to send Jimmy G AND the #12 pick for Kirk Cousins? Um, no.

Like I said, there's a very slim chance of this happening. But apparently Shanahan really likes how Cousins plays, Jimmy G is beginning to look fragile both physically & mentally fragile, & the Niners' are built to win now IF they have a QB Shanahan trusts to run his system. But King did a decent job showing how every team would benefit from his hypothetical trade.

I could see the 49ers making a run at Matt Ryan in Atlanta.  I think his price would be lower than Cousins or Watson and Shanahan knows him well from their time together in Atlanta.  He's still got a few years in the tank and could run that offense perfectly.  I don't know if Atlanta is ready to rebuild, but they could be. 

I don’t know if the Texans have cap room for Jimmy G, and what is the point for Houston even if they do? They aren’t going to be competitive in 2021, so why have a $30M QB on the last year of his deal and whose play is not top 10-15 QB?

If something like this were to happen, they should bring in a 4th team and send Jimmy G over for another draft pick. 

Media types and fans alike keep throwing out these fan fiction proposals and act like Houston should gratefully accept other teams’ trash in lue of draft picks. Sorry, 2 firsts and Teddy Bridgewater is not equal to 3 firsts. We don’t want your Nick Foles bullshit. We probably don’t want Sam Darnold. We may not even want Tua, if it means one fewer first or second round pick. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

So you make him play publicly unhappy?  Have you seen how that goes?  What's the end game for Houston?  What are the percentages/chances they can make right with Watson and win back his trust?  I'm gonna put it at remote.
This should help....

No. I'm going to try to work it out... Then, if I can't, I'm going to try to get a team to give me their whole future, so I can rebuild mine.

If I can't get what I want, yeah, he can play unhappy. I'm not giving him away like the previous acting GM did with DHop.
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Snacks said:

No. I'm going to try to work it out... Then, if I can't, I'm going to try to get a team to give me their whole future, so I can rebuild mine.

If I can't get what I want, yeah, he can play unhappy. I'm not giving him away like the previous acting GM did with DHop.

Exactly! All the haters who are saying “take what you can get!” have their criticism ready in the queue to ridicule the Texans for their horrible trade and future shittiness. The preference should be:

1. Repair the relationship (almost certain not to happen)

2. Trade him for a shitload of value to rebuild your team before the draft

3. Keep holding out and making him play unhappy until either #1 or #2 happen. Screw the scrub trades. 

Deshaun is easily a top 5 asset in the NFL. The Texans can take 80 cents on the dollar and be ok, but they shouldn’t take other people’s garbage just because they are afraid Deshaun will throw a fit or fake an injury. Two #1’s plus a Jimmy G, Matt Ryan, or Teddy Bridgewater is fucking horrible considering that Tunsil, Jalen Ramsey, Jamal Adams, etc. were traded for two #1’s. A potential HOF QB just hitting his prime with 5 years left on a contract of which Houston will pick up $22M is worth way more than that. 

• Hook 'Em 2