Is Deshaun Watson Done in Houston?

Vic Mackey

2 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Buzbee also claims in his petitions that the NFL is notorious for a culture fostering sexual harassment and assault despite lip service to the contrary. He puts that tidbit in the factual account laying the cause of action. It is a weird thing to add and might point that he might be setting up something bigger to go after the NFL. That would be a dumb as shit and get laughed out of court with the NFL's white shoe lawyers shredding it to bits.

Buzbee strikes me as the type of Icarus trial lawyer who won't be satisfied until he is disbarred and penniless. It is a type. Sometimes it seems like as many of them squander huge fortunes as pro athletes, or risk it all trying to make more and more money. F. Lee Bailey, Roy Cohn, Michael Avenatti, Tom Girardi, John O'Quinn, Moorman Pruiett....all of those dudes and more either wound up penniless, were disbarred, both, or very nearly one or the other. (Jury is out on the still-living, but things are not looking good for Girardi and Avenatti. Not sure if he's broke or not but Bailey will never practice law again; I was a little surprised to see he was still alive.) The more they love publicity -- for its own sake, and about them, and not in the aid of their clients -- the more they seem to fall in this trap. 

Lawyers like DeGuerin and Hardin are famous, but mostly because they are effective and not for their antics outside of the courtroom. Right now Buzbee is as widely known for his messy private life and egotistical crusades as he is for his wins in the courtroom. Pride goeth before a fall.  

• Like 5

Buzbee needs to provide Hardin with the names of the alleged victims. Period. HPD needs to approach him And request the packet Buzbee claims he was going to deliver to police (unless he has already done so). HPD needs to investigate each complaint simultaneously with the civil suit. I’ve already said several times, Watson deserves the presumption of innocence. If his guilt can be proven he should be dealt with accordingly. If the Texans set him up along with Buzbee they need to lose the team at a minimum and be investigated for extortion. If the Texans knew he was a danger to masseuses everywhere they should lose the team and it should be once again the Oilers and somehow like the Green Bay facility have ownership by long suffering Oilers and Texans fans. 

Buzbee is an asshat. His involvement does a huge disservice to the alleged victims if they are victims. He makes their suits less credible.  He’s already been caught in a few lies. The language in the suits is confusingly awful. I want some entity to conduct a competent investigation in this because it could involve all sorts of shit outside of sexual and civil assault. 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Buzbee needs to provide Hardin with the names of the alleged victims. Period. HPD needs to approach him And request the packet Buzbee claims he was going to deliver to police (unless he has already done so). HPD needs to investigate each complaint simultaneously with the civil suit. I’ve already said several times, Watson deserves the presumption of innocence. If his guilt can be proven he should be dealt with accordingly. If the Texans set him up along with Buzbee they need to lose the team at a minimum and be investigated for extortion. If the Texans knew he was a danger to masseuses everywhere they should lose the team and it should be once again the Oilers and somehow like the Green Bay facility have ownership by long suffering Oilers and Texans fans. 

Buzbee is an asshat. His involvement does a huge disservice to the alleged victims if they are victims. He makes their suits less credible.  He’s already been caught in a few lies. The language in the suits is confusingly awful. I want some entity to conduct a competent investigation in this because it could involve all sorts of shit outside of sexual and civil assault. 

The NFL and Art Acevedo are on it

• Haha 2

I firmly believe Buzbee is an absolute con artist,  but Hardin's non-denial denial is very telling to me..."he never forced anyone to do anything" is way different than "none of this ever happened ".  

Unless his wife takes a nine iron to his Caddy, none of it ever happened.

19 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I firmly believe Buzbee is an absolute con artist,  but Hardin's non-denial denial is very telling to me..."he never forced anyone to do anything" is way different than "none of this ever happened ".  

Him having a sexual encounter with a woman isn't a crime. 

Quite a few women get "chose" on IG and flown out for sexual purposes. The crime is him forcing them to do stuff. Maybe some indecent exposure might have happened, but that's far less than the shit he's being accused of.

21 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

It tells me that Hardin knows that there is corroborating evidence that places Watson with some of these girls, and possibly corroborating evidence of sexual activity.  A fabrication defense has a lot more freedom at trial than a consent defense, so you wouldn't want to limit yourself this early unless you know at least some of what the other side has.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

Him having a sexual encounter with a woman isn't a crime. 

Quite a few women get "chose" on IG and flown out for sexual purposes. The crime is him forcing them to do stuff. Maybe some indecent exposure might have happened, but that's far less than the shit he's being accused of.

Right, being a freak isn't a crime if they're all on board...but consent seems to be revocable nowadays 

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Right, being a freak isn't a crime if they're all on board...but consent seems to be revocable nowadays 

Consent has been revocable in all 50 states for a good while now (except strangely in North Carolina who only changed it in 2019). For good reason I'd say.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Zeus said:

One thing I learned from his advice to Hardin video: I would never, ever hire Clay Travis for any case whatsoever. Not even a parking ticket.

He completely yada-yada'd over the fact that Hardin's team does not so much as know the identity of any of Watson's accusers, and then proceeded to say that Hardin needs to call Buzbee and tell him to name his figure.

Sooooo, going forward, if Watson adopts the Travis Strategem, I guess any old lawyer could just round up a posse of anonymous women to tell similar stories about being raped by massage clients, and said lawyer could then leak them to the media and sit back and wait for the money to roll in. Hell, these women don't even really need to exist, apparently. About 50 percent of pro athletes would be instantly bankrupted and the shadier side of the outcall massage business would immediately die out as the clientele would rightly fear each massage, legit or not, could bankrupt and humiliate them.

TL;dr: Clay Travis is an idiot commentator and he would be an even worse lawyer. 

33 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

One thing I learned from his advice to Hardin video: I would never, ever hire Clay Travis for any case whatsoever. Not even a parking ticket.

He completely yada-yada'd over the fact that Hardin's team does not so much as know the identity of any of Watson's accusers, and then proceeded to say that Hardin needs to call Buzbee and tell him to name his figure.

Sooooo, going forward, if Watson adopts the Travis Strategem, I guess any old lawyer could just round up a posse of anonymous women to tell similar stories about being raped by massage clients, and said lawyer could then leak them to the media and sit back and wait for the money to roll in. Hell, these women don't even really need to exist, apparently. About 50 percent of pro athletes would be instantly bankrupted and the shadier side of the outcall massage business would immediately die out as the clientele would rightly fear each massage, legit or not, could bankrupt and humiliate them.

TL;dr: Clay Travis is an idiot commentator and he would be an even worse lawyer. 

Isn’t he actually a lawyer too? I don’t know if he ever practiced, but I think he went to Vanderbilt.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Isn’t he actually a lawyer too? I don’t know if he ever practiced, but I think he went to Vanderbilt.

Yeah, he is. Vandy Law, George Washington U undergrad. He practiced in the US Virgin Islands, but apparently was not working too hard, as he felt free enough to go on a "pudding strike" in an effort to force NFL Sunday Ticket to be made available in the USVI. This entailed eating only pudding for 55 days; I can't imagine his clients, if any, would not object to their lawyer starving himself because he can't watch football games. Per Wiki he also practiced in Tennessee but it can't have been for much more than a year, if that, given the time between graduating law school and changing careers. 

Based on that video up there he proves himself to be an aggressively awful lawyer. I mean come on, who completely capitulates to anonymous accusers? And that he obfuscated that these accusers were anonymous, that he basically just ignored the entire thrust of Hardin's statement, is either stupid or dishonest. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

39 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

He completely yada-yada'd over the fact that Hardin's team does not so much as know the identity of any of Watson's accusers

Stop being dense, of course he knows who they are. Rusty is playing up the "Jane Doe" bullshit to blunt Buzbee's effective publicity tactics. Do you really think Rusty hasn't looked at Deshaun's phone records and texts? The details of dates and locations are all there in the complaints, so it's pretty fucking obvious who they could possibly be. "Hey Deshaun, lemme see your texts and IG DMs from October 8th...."

5 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Stop being dense, of course he knows who they are. Rusty is playing up the "Jane Doe" bullshit to blunt Buzbee's effective publicity tactics. Do you really think Rusty hasn't looked at Deshaun's phone records and texts? The details of dates and locations are all there in the complaints, so it's pretty fucking obvious who they could possibly be. "Hey Deshaun, lemme see your texts and IG DMs from October 8th...."

Knowing who they are and being able to question them -- confidentially -- are two different things. 

So...Given that Hardin has possibly looked at their Instagrams, Watson should just immediately cave and allow Buzbee to name his price? Just take every word of those pleadings at face value. Now that would be dense. For one thing, Watson would in at least one case, maybe more, be clearly confessing to forcible rape. 

15 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Knowing who they are and being able to question them -- confidentially -- are two different things. 

So...Given that Hardin has possibly looked at their Instagrams, Watson should just immediately cave and allow Buzbee to name his price? Just take every word of those pleadings at face value. Now that would be dense. For one thing, Watson would in at least one case, maybe more, be clearly confessing to forcible rape. 

No, that's not what I said. The issue is with your nonsensical argument that the public anonymity of the Jane Does undermines their credibility and is somehow just proof of Tony Buzbee's campaign to ruin Deshaun Watson for the sake of the Houston Texans or some such stupidity. 

Obviously Rusty will get to question them and do discovery, just stop pretending like he doesn't know who they are when you know damn well he knows everything about them already. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, HtownHorn said:

What the fuck? What attorney would allow their client to be questioned confidentially by opposing council.

Well, my understanding of American jurisprudence includes the right of the accused to face his/her accusers. This can be in court or in depositions. "Confidentially" in this case means that Hardin's camp would not leak their names to the media to subject them to shame. 

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

No, that's not what I said. The issue is with your nonsensical argument that the public anonymity of the Jane Does undermines their credibility and is somehow just proof of Tony Buzbee's campaign to ruin Deshaun Watson for the sake of the Houston Texans or some such stupidity. 

Obviously Rusty will get to question them and do discovery, just stop pretending like he doesn't know who they are when you know damn well he knows everything about them already. 

He does not -- about 30 percent of the suits have yet to be filed because Buzbee is leaking them tactically, I guess in hopes that Hardin and Watson will just cry uncle. 

On 3/23/2021 at 5:37 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

The scheme as you laid out is both insanely illegal and ludicrously complex.  At this point, it involves cajoling dozens of women into filing false pleadings.  And, of course, that means that you entering into a criminal scheme to embezzle/defame/blackmail someone with dozens of people who you already know are willing to engage in a criminal scheme. At some point the criminal mastermind here has to think, "wait, what if one of these women blackmails ME now that she's wise to our plan. What happens when she realizes she can get far more out of the owners of the Texans than she can in a lawsuit against a Texans player?"

And that's just the women witnesses.  The architects of the scheme are so far out of lawsuit territory, it's absurd.  They are into lose your law license, lose your NFL franchise, go directly to prison and don't pass go if the scheme gets found out.  And it will get found out, because insanely complex criminal schemes involving dozens of people don't stay under wraps outside of Ocean's 11. The schemes by definition rely on the integrity and competence of people who by definition are lacking integrity and are usually really, really stupid.

They didn't get away with it in Oceans 11.  That's how you guarantee two sequels.

4 hours ago, bejezuz said:

Hardin knows that there is corroborating evidence that places Watson with some of these girls, and possibly corroborating evidence of sexual activity.

they put out a sworn affidavit that *something* was consensual.  "consensual" is so often followed by "sex" that you you don't even need to say the latter.  "oh that one was consensual, and then she tried to blackmail me!"  so now you've put out a sworn affidavit that basically verifies that deshaun looks up masseuses on instagram in the hopes of getting some strange.  how, exactly, does that help the other 20 cases?

3 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

He does not -- about 30 percent of the suits have yet to be filed because Buzbee is leaking them tactically, I guess in hopes that Hardin and Watson will just cry uncle. 

LOL you are boldly regarded if you actually believe this. Have you  even bothered to read the complaints? There are very detailed accounts of each accuser's story with dates and place descriptions which can be read against Watson's phone/social media communications. If Watson is being fully cooperative and transparent with his counsel, Rusty Hardin knows the identities of every plaintiff.

46 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Yeah, he is. Vandy Law, George Washington U undergrad. He practiced in the US Virgin Islands, but apparently was not working too hard, as he felt free enough to go on a "pudding strike" in an effort to force NFL Sunday Ticket to be made available in the USVI. This entailed eating only pudding for 55 days; I can't imagine his clients, if any, would not object to their lawyer starving himself because he can't watch football games. Per Wiki he also practiced in Tennessee but it can't have been for much more than a year, if that, given the time between graduating law school and changing careers. 

Based on that video up there he proves himself to be an aggressively awful lawyer. I mean come on, who completely capitulates to anonymous accusers? And that he obfuscated that these accusers were anonymous, that he basically just ignored the entire thrust of Hardin's statement, is either stupid or dishonest. 

Did you say pudding?

bill cosby GIF

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

LOL you are boldly regarded if you actually believe this. Have you  even bothered to read the complaints? There are very detailed accounts of each accuser's story with dates and place descriptions which can be read against Watson's phone/social media communications. If Watson is being fully cooperative and transparent with his counsel, Rusty Hardin knows the identities of every plaintiff.

How long can 20+ accusers to remain anonymous? Somebody has to get loose lips at some point. Secrets that big just don't keep.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

You are fixated on this.

My point is, Clay Travis is peddling terrible legal advice. To just throw in the towel right now would be idiotic. He'd be settling lawsuits he nor Hardin haven't even seen yet, for one thing. 

21 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Buzbee also claims in his petitions that the NFL is notorious for a culture fostering sexual harassment and assault despite lip service to the contrary. He puts that tidbit in the factual account laying the cause of action. It is a weird thing to add and might point that he might be setting up something bigger to go after the NFL. That would be a dumb as shit and get laughed out of court with the NFL's white shoe lawyers shredding it to bits.

I highly doubt that’s what he’s doing at all, and it makes sense why he put it in there. He’s dragging the NFL through the mud so they are pressured to punish Watson or strongly encourage him to make this go away, which in turn gives Buzbee more leverage. This is all about posturing and leverage for Buzbee. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

https://www.theonion.com/14th-sexual-assault-lawsuit-against-deshaun-watson-forc-184653859

Spoiler

14th Sexual Assault Lawsuit Against Deshaun Watson Forces Fan To Reckon With Full-Blown Conspiracy Against Quarterback

CORPUS CHRISTI, TX—Finally stopping to consider the weight of the allegations after another massage therapist came forward, the 14th sexual assault lawsuit filed against Deshaun Watson Tuesday forced Texans fan Blaine Rockwell to reckon with a potential full-blown conspiracy against the quarterback. “I tried to avert my eyes at first, but all of these lawsuits clearly point to a powerful cabal of people working to undermine this man,” said Rockwell, emphasizing the need to take these allegations seriously and nip them in the bud before they could do any further damage to Watson’s reputation. “At first, I thought it was just one or two liars trying to ruin a great athlete’s life, but it’s clearly much deeper than that. I’d be naïve at this point if I didn’t admit that a massive, potentially satanic operation was responsible for these assault claims. There’s simply no other explanation.” At press time, Rockwell took to an online forum to speculate if the lawsuits were a “sting operation funded by the [Miami] Dolphins” to lower Deshaun Watson’s trade value. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

You are fixated on this.

My point is, Clay Travis is peddling terrible legal advice. To just throw in the towel right now would be idiotic. He'd be settling lawsuits he nor Hardin haven't even seen yet, for one thing. 

I'm pretty sure Clay is posting videos for content. I don't think Rusty has seen it