Is Deshaun Watson Done in Houston?

Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

They would get to void his contract on a morals clause. I don't think the Texans really want to do this, but the whole league wants it done. They would find some way to compensate McNair. Maybe another Super Bowl? He doesn't seem to care about winning. 

In what universe is hosting a Super Bowl worth more than 3-4 first round picks for a franchise?

According to PFT and other sites, if Goodell puts Watson on the exempt list, the Texans have to pay him all guaranteed money up until the time he is suspended or the team cuts him. If he goes on the list for a year, they will owe him each week’s game check and any other contractual bonuses (roster, workout, OTA, etc.). At that point if he is allowed to come back, he will have one fewer year left on his contract and the full signing bonus is guaranteed. If he gets kicked out of the league or seriously suspended, the Texans could attempt to void the remaining base salaries and bonuses for 2022-2025 and cut him, then have to fight him in court to reclaim 4/5ths or whatever of the signing bonus he already cashed (and maybe spent). None of this sounds like a good thing for the franchise, certainly nothing they’d hope for as the outcome of some wild conspiracy scenario. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I want to clarify my position on this deal.

1. I am not a Texans fan. In fact, I am an anti-fan of the Texans and have been since the Rosencopter game. I pull for whoever plays the Texans every week, and it has been one of the most satisfying fan relationships I have ever had. So many come from behind victories for my teams of the week....I don't think anyone has accused me of Texans fandom, but I just want that clarified. 

2. I realize my skepticism can come across as misogynistic or idiotic when there are this many women coming out with similar stories. 

3. I don't deny that Watson jizzed on multiple masseuses; I just believe that in most of these cases it will be found to have been consensual. As to the legality...I don't know. This seems almost akin to Louis CK's "I'm just gonna take it out and fap in front of you whether you like it or not," which would normally be a form of indecent exposure, but it all gets murky behind closed doors. Especially if there is a massage table behind those doors. 

4. I realize grand conspiracy theories are often stupid.

HOWEVER....

1. Watson's contract dispute does not just pit him vs the Texans front office. It pits him against all 30 owners. If he gets his way here, the whole concept of superstar contracts will tilt drastically in the favor of players.

2. The Texans front office is batshit crazy, the most lunatic and incompetent ownership group I've seen in decades of following the three major sports and understanding them as businesses. 

3. Tony Buzbee is the most overrated trial lawyer in Texas history. He made his name in the court of Samuel Kent, his drinking buddy and now one of the very very few federal justices to lose his lifetime seat and go to prison. While investigating the sex harassment and assault cases that did him in, investigators kept getting distracted by all the extremely unethical shit he pulled from the bench, often when presiding over Buzbee's cases, to the point where the sex assault victims' attorneys had to keep reminding the investigators to keep their eyes on the ball, that the shady shit on the bench was beyond the purview of their investigation. If the feds wanted to, they could destroy Kent all over again on that stuff, but their work is done -- he is now a hermit out somewhere west of Fort Stockton.

4. On top of that, Buzbee has been extremely erratic these past five years. Post-2016 divorce, he has purchased a tank and placed in front of his house, seemingly solely because he could and wanted to piss off his neighbors; had a hoochie mama in his house tumping wine on his Warhols; allowed a team of Joe Blow burglars from around the way to loot his house of millions in art, watches, and jewelry; and ran for mayor, and showed his very prominently showed his ass in one of the weirdest, drunkest public speeches I've ever seen.

5. Which brings is to his conduct in pursuing this case. While the drip-drip of suits in this case is solid tactics, everything else has redefined shitshow: the rambling Insta screeds, increasingly edging towards cocaine-tinged paranoia; the self-aggrandizing Secret Agent Man photos of him posing dramatically on a tarmac, getting out of his Bentley; his clumsy attempts to paint these cases as being about "raising awareness"; and his lies about having turned over these cases to the cops. (He lied about it at the outset, and now one and only one of these plaintiffs has gone to the cops, not all of them, as he said happened weeks back.) I would not be surprised at all if some of his clients wind up suing him. He might even wind up facing sanctions before this is all over. 

6. There is a credible sworn account testifying to at least one extortion attempt, and that in the most serious suit, the one where Watson allegedly forced a blow job.

7. Against my better judgment, I will attempt to connect some of these dots. The Texans knew about Watson's kink but were content to let it slide until it became apparent he was a goner. When it become obvious to the rest of the owners that the Texans were about to ruin their leverage over superstar players, they told the Texans to release the Kraken and assumed that Cal McNair was up to the task of making the arrangements locally. And to them, I guess, the hiring of Buzbee would seem solid. To outsiders he sells himself well, and a good number of NFL owners are nowhere near as bright as they want you to think they are. 

8. Because, I believe, the Texans have had a, um, hand in it, of course it's a circus. 

9. Yes it's all bizarre and seemingly far-fetched, but I am a firm believer in following the money. The money -- the big money -- wants Watson taken down a peg or nine or even destroyed. And as we have seen, the billionaire boys club has brazenly colluded in front of the entire world to blackball a player whose political stance was nowhere near as threatening to their bottom lines as Watson's is. Watson was dumb enough to try his luck against all that with skeletons in his closet. 

10. We are dealing with a franchise whose second-in-command is a dorky pastor who the Peter Principle would slot into the pulpit of a small megachurch in ex-urban Spartanburg, South Carolina. How is that any weirder than what I have written here?

Has anyone ever seen @MaybeACoordinator and @Randolph Duke in the same room?

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

In what universe is hosting a Super Bowl worth more than 3-4 first round picks for a franchise?

According to PFT and other sites, if Goodell puts Watson on the exempt list, the Texans have to pay him all guaranteed money up until the time he is suspended or the team cuts him. If he goes on the list for a year, they will owe him each week’s game check and any other contractual bonuses (roster, workout, OTA, etc.). At that point if he is allowed to come back, he will have one fewer year left on his contract and the full signing bonus is guaranteed. If he gets kicked out of the league or seriously suspended, the Texans could attempt to void the remaining base salaries and bonuses for 2022-2025 and cut him, then have to fight him in court to reclaim 4/5ths or whatever of the signing bonus he already cashed (and maybe spent). None of this sounds like a good thing for the franchise, certainly nothing they’d hope for as the outcome of some wild conspiracy scenario. 

I have been following this franchise now for two decades, and if anybody can maximize the fuck up in ways we might not even be able to imagine right now, it's the Texans under Cal McNair. The man is just... not smart. Not that his old man was a supergenius or anything like that, but even Cal's friends think he's kinda "special." 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

As a fan I was pissed that Deshaun had not waived his no trade and was taking the Texans’ leverage to receive fair market compensation. This conspiracy, if true, butt fucks the Texans worse than receiving three first round picks instead of four. They stand to get nothing for him, have to pay his salary while he’s on the commissioner exempt list, then eventually cut him (paying him his entire signing bonus and eating that on the cap) and watching some other team sign him as a free agent. Why in the fuck would the Texans do that? And he really wants to only play for the Dolphins, Broncos, Panthers, or 49ers, one of those teams will sign him. So in the end, he (the superstar player) still got what he wanted and the franchise got screwed. 

Why do you keep trying to apply logic and reason to the Texans decision making process? Lmao

The NFL is kinda in a bad place right now as it pertains to the exempt list. Sure they could jump right in and do that, but I don’t think they want to at this time. I think they would rather the HPD investigation play out. Could the Texans cut him? sure. But I think they are also waiting for this to play out. The optics of cutting him are bad. No team is going to take on the uncertainty of his future. If he’s charged criminally that might be the end of him regardless of his immense talent. But Big Ben is still there. The optics suck. 

What a fucking mess. Even worse if there are actual victims not just allegations. 

So I take it that the alleged victim who went to HPD was one of the original 21 who filed with Buzbee? No one knows what is going to happen. It’s one thing to file a civil suit for a money shakedown. It’s another to go to the police. If it’s someone not with the 21 and this alleged victim isn’t going to file a civil suit, that certainly carries a different level of credibility. What a mess. 

14 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I want to clarify my position on this deal.

1. I am not a Texans fan. In fact, I am an anti-fan of the Texans and have been since the Rosencopter game. I pull for whoever plays the Texans every week, and it has been one of the most satisfying fan relationships I have ever had. So many come from behind victories for my teams of the week....I don't think anyone has accused me of Texans fandom, but I just want that clarified. 

2. I realize my skepticism can come across as misogynistic or idiotic when there are this many women coming out with similar stories. 

3. I don't deny that Watson jizzed on multiple masseuses; I just believe that in most of these cases it will be found to have been consensual. As to the legality...I don't know. This seems almost akin to Louis CK's "I'm just gonna take it out and fap in front of you whether you like it or not," which would normally be a form of indecent exposure, but it all gets murky behind closed doors. Especially if there is a massage table behind those doors. 

4. I realize grand conspiracy theories are often stupid.

HOWEVER....

1. Watson's contract dispute does not just pit him vs the Texans front office. It pits him against all 30 owners. If he gets his way here, the whole concept of superstar contracts will tilt drastically in the favor of players.

2. The Texans front office is batshit crazy, the most lunatic and incompetent ownership group I've seen in decades of following the three major sports and understanding them as businesses. 

3. Tony Buzbee is the most overrated trial lawyer in Texas history. He made his name in the court of Samuel Kent, his drinking buddy and now one of the very very few federal justices to lose his lifetime seat and go to prison. While investigating the sex harassment and assault cases that did him in, investigators kept getting distracted by all the extremely unethical shit he pulled from the bench, often when presiding over Buzbee's cases, to the point where the sex assault victims' attorneys had to keep reminding the investigators to keep their eyes on the ball, that the shady shit on the bench was beyond the purview of their investigation. If the feds wanted to, they could destroy Kent all over again on that stuff, but their work is done -- he is now a hermit out somewhere west of Fort Stockton.

4. On top of that, Buzbee has been extremely erratic these past five years. Post-2016 divorce, he has purchased a tank and placed in front of his house, seemingly solely because he could and wanted to piss off his neighbors; had a hoochie mama in his house tumping wine on his Warhols; allowed a team of Joe Blow burglars from around the way to loot his house of millions in art, watches, and jewelry; and ran for mayor, and showed his very prominently showed his ass in one of the weirdest, drunkest public speeches I've ever seen.

5. Which brings is to his conduct in pursuing this case. While the drip-drip of suits in this case is solid tactics, everything else has redefined shitshow: the rambling Insta screeds, increasingly edging towards cocaine-tinged paranoia; the self-aggrandizing Secret Agent Man photos of him posing dramatically on a tarmac, getting out of his Bentley; his clumsy attempts to paint these cases as being about "raising awareness"; and his lies about having turned over these cases to the cops. (He lied about it at the outset, and now one and only one of these plaintiffs has gone to the cops, not all of them, as he said happened weeks back.) I would not be surprised at all if some of his clients wind up suing him. He might even wind up facing sanctions before this is all over. 

6. There is a credible sworn account testifying to at least one extortion attempt, and that in the most serious suit, the one where Watson allegedly forced a blow job.

7. Against my better judgment, I will attempt to connect some of these dots. The Texans knew about Watson's kink but were content to let it slide until it became apparent he was a goner. When it become obvious to the rest of the owners that the Texans were about to ruin their leverage over superstar players, they told the Texans to release the Kraken and assumed that Cal McNair was up to the task of making the arrangements locally. And to them, I guess, the hiring of Buzbee would seem solid. To outsiders he sells himself well, and a good number of NFL owners are nowhere near as bright as they want you to think they are. 

8. Because, I believe, the Texans have had a, um, hand in it, of course it's a circus. 

9. Yes it's all bizarre and seemingly far-fetched, but I am a firm believer in following the money. The money -- the big money -- wants Watson taken down a peg or nine or even destroyed. And as we have seen, the billionaire boys club has brazenly colluded in front of the entire world to blackball a player whose political stance was nowhere near as threatening to their bottom lines as Watson's is. Watson was dumb enough to try his luck against all that with skeletons in his closet. 

10. We are dealing with a franchise whose second-in-command is a dorky pastor who the Peter Principle would slot into the pulpit of a small megachurch in ex-urban Spartanburg, South Carolina. How is that any weirder than what I have written here?

tl;dr

The more this drags on, the less I care about it. I wonder how many other people are like me and find themselves losing interest. That could really work out in Watson's favor. If he doesn't get a criminal conviction, he could more easily get a job when this has ended.

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

The more this drags on, the less I care about it. I wonder how many other people are like me and find themselves losing interest. That could really work out in Watson's favor. If he doesn't get a criminal conviction, he could more easily get a job when this has ended.

If he doesn't go to prison there will be 20+ teams lined up.

Buzbee giving another presser tomorrow to “update” our asses on all the new shit. Sigh. This guy! And now there are 22 plaintiffs.

“The unnamed woman, allegedly found by Watson last November on Instagram, claims that she tried to refer Watson to a licensed massage therapist but that he declined. She contends that she ended the massage abruptly after Watson attempted to bring the woman’s hand closer to his penis.

Watson allegedly paid her $250, according to lawsuit, and also required her to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

One person filed a criminal complaint against Watson on Friday. It’s still unknown whether the person who filed the criminal complaint is one of the persons who have sued Watson.”

—————————-

“Our team will hold an in-person press conference at our Houston office on the 73rd floor of Chase Tower downtown Houston, Texas, on Tuesday at noon,” Buzbee announced on Instagram. “This press conference will address important and significant developments in the Deshaun Watson case. We will take a few questions, but only from those present, and we will also distribute information to those assembled. We will, of course, live stream the press conference here on this platform. For those that attend, security will be strict; if you have no press credentials, you won’t attend.”

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Buzbee says he has DMs he's releasing to the media today from Watson 

All the suits are outlined here: https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/news/local/deshaun-watson-lawsuit-details/285-42abe4a4-44a9-4acc-b84b-1f18579dff15

That may come in handy (pun intended) after the presser/circus today. Not a fan of Buzbee but is his strategy to pummel Watson in MSM to get him to settle? 

18 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Damn...

“Some days I feel like a hero, other days I feel like a failure,” she explained, adding that she replays the interaction over and over in her head.

“I can no longer practice the profession I love the most without my hands shaking during the session,” she said. “I got into massage therapy to heal people. To heal their minds and bodies. To bring peace to their souls. Deshaun Watson has robbed me of that.”

She said that she has suffered panic attacks, anxiety, depression.

“We were all deceived into thinking Deshaun Watson was a good guy, and unfortunately we know that good guys can do terrible things,” Solis said.

“People say that I’m doing this just for money,” she added. “That is false. I come forward now so that Deshaun Watson does not assault another woman.”

Edited by Nicole44

Two of the 22 women who filed lawsuits against Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson alleging sexual assault and inappropriate behavior came forward publicly during a news conference Tuesday.

Ashley Solis, who lawyer Tony Buzbee said was the first massage therapist to file a lawsuit against Watson, spoke in the news conference.

Lauren Baxley wrote a letter to Watson that was read by lawyer Cornelia Brandfield-Harvey.

In her letter addressing Watson, Baxley wrote, "Every boundary from professional and therapeutic to sexual and degrading you crossed or attempted to cross."

Baxley said she wrote the letter at the recommendation of her trauma therapist to "forgive myself for not speaking up sooner," and also "so that you can know without excuse or justification that you have deeply and irreversibly brought terror to me and others."

"I initially came forward to offer solidarity to other women, but I have since realized that I'm deserving of justice as well," Baxley wrote. "I hope the court of law brings that justice, and that you're stripped of both your power and ability to hurt more women."

Edited by Nicole44

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Buzbee says he has DMs he's releasing to the media today from Watson 

We already know of one apology for making someone "feel uncomfortable." That is damning. Two would likely be impossible to overcome. Three or more will be basically turning this thing into an SNL skit, and Deshaun needs to just shut his career down and start writing checks. 

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

We already know of one apology for making someone "feel uncomfortable." That is damning. Two would likely be impossible to overcome. Three or more will be basically turning this thing into an SNL skit, and Deshaun needs to just shut his career down and start writing checks. 

Looks like Buzbee is likely going after deeper pockets than just Watson’s.

Mike Florio gets on my nerves plenty but he is/was a lawyer and does understand this case much better than many of the sports writers and pundits. Based on all of his writings on this matter, he saw this coming from day one.

During Tuesday’s press conference regarding the 22 civil lawsuits filed against Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, attorney Tony Buzbee hinted that the Texans may have partial responsibility for Watson’s alleged habit of preying on massage therapists.

Buzbee said that Watson received referrals for massage therapists from the Texans and borrowed a massage table from the Texans.

Although Buzbee was careful to say that he was making no allegations against the Texans, but at one point Buzbee said this, regarding the massage resources available to Watson through the team and regarding his tendency to get massages elsewhere: “You have some obligation to ask some questions.”

(What did the Texans know! When did they know it!)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/06/tony-buzbee-hints-at-potential-liability-for-the-texans-in-deshaun-watson-cases/

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Mike Florio gets on my nerves plenty but he is/was a lawyer and does understand this case much better than many of the sports writers and pundits. Based on all of his writings on this matter, he saw this coming from day one.

During Tuesday’s press conference regarding the 22 civil lawsuits filed against Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson, attorney Tony Buzbee hinted that the Texans may have partial responsibility for Watson’s alleged habit of preying on massage therapists.

Buzbee said that Watson received referrals for massage therapists from the Texans and borrowed a massage table from the Texans.

Although Buzbee was careful to say that he was making no allegations against the Texans, but at one point Buzbee said this, regarding the massage resources available to Watson through the team and regarding his tendency to get massages elsewhere: “You have some obligation to ask some questions.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/06/tony-buzbee-hints-at-potential-liability-for-the-texans-in-deshaun-watson-cases/

dan marino holy shit GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Damn...

“Some days I feel like a hero, other days I feel like a failure,” she explained, adding that she replays the interaction over and over in her head.

“I can no longer practice the profession I love the most without my hands shaking during the session,” she said. “I got into massage therapy to heal people. To heal their minds and bodies. To bring peace to their souls. Deshaun Watson has robbed me of that.”

She said that she has suffered panic attacks, anxiety, depression.

“We were all deceived into thinking Deshaun Watson was a good guy, and unfortunately we know that good guys can do terrible things,” Solis said.

“People say that I’m doing this just for money,” she added. “That is false. I come forward now so that Deshaun Watson does not assault another woman.”

I mean Watson is in the wrong but you can no longer practice your profession because someone touched your hand with their penis once, come on.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

17 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I mean Watson is in the wrong but you can no longer practice your profession because someone touched your hand with their penis once, come on.

I’m not saying I quite understand either but everyone reacts differently to situations. Ive had friends who were assaulted to various degrees and everyone had a different reaction. The one incident that happened with me occurred in college and drinking was involved. I didn’t report what occurred but it certainly changed me from the perspective that I was very skittish to be alone with guys for a bit of time. Like even to date. 

That loss of power is scary. If that makes any sense. With victim one that spoke to today this occurred at her home. It’s also the fear of what could happen. Again, it’s alleged that this happen and Watson is entitled to presumption of innocence.

having said that everyone reacts differently to things. Depending on what is already going on in their life to begin with. 

TLDR: everyone is different and reacts differently to stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

See? If there is some way that the Texans could come out of this losing their star player forever, for nothing in return, and then tens of millions of dollars on top of that, they might just have found it. 

Never underestimate the wonder twin powers of Failson Cal and Cackalacky Rasputin. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

Yeah, nah. 

You may want to put yourself in their shoes for a second, these girls are actually pretty powerless and getting sexually harassed, it fucks them up. 

Their job is to put their hands on dudes muscles to heal them, they get put in that same exact situation that they were in when the creeper fucked with them.

Edited by Zeus
i read that wrong
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

So you have a job where your hand regularly gets touched by someone else's penis, I take it?

15 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The emails produced by Hardin show that the demand wasn’t being viewed as extortion or blackmail but as a legitimate effort to resolve the case.

“[I] wanted to check in on this to see if Ms. Solis wanted to either help us understand the rationale behind the $100k demand or come back with a different figure,” Scott Gaffield wrote on Watson’s behalf. “As I said to [attorney] Cornelia [Brandfield-Harvey] last week, we don’t believe that the alleged facts show that Deshaun did anything wrong with regards to Ms. Solis, but we are nevertheless happy to continue the conversation around a reasonable settlement figure because we believe he can learn a lesson about having put himself in this situation.”

In other words, Watson’s camp was willing to consider paying something to settle the case because, as Gaffield said, “we believe he can learn a lesson about having put himself in this situation.”

Amazingly, Hardin’s team voluntarily disclosed this communication, which otherwise was confidential and never meant for public consumption. It shows that Watson’s representatives viewed the claims made by Ashley Solis as something that weren’t frivolous but that instead provided a useful opportunity to teach Watson a “lesson about having put himself in this situation.”

Oy Vey

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

"Amazingly, Hardin’s team voluntarily disclosed this communication, which otherwise was confidential and never meant for public consumption. It shows that Watson’s representatives viewed the claims made by Ashley Solis as something that weren’t frivolous but that instead provided a useful opportunity to teach Watson a 'lesson about having put himself in this situation.'"

Hardin is going to spin this as "don't put yourself in a situation to get extorted or exploited."  Sort of like the NBA teaching rookies to make sure to take the used condom with them after shagging a groupie.  

Just now, bejezuz said:

Hardin is going to spin this as "don't put yourself in a situation to get extorted or exploited."  Sort of like the NBA teaching rookies to make sure to take the used condom with them after shagging a groupie.  

Sure. My only caveat to this is why was he still trolling on Instagram for massage therapists after he knew he was getting sued?