Favorite 80s Music Video

utee94

1 hour ago, Texas007 said:

"Hey Mickey" is just one of those songs where the video is the first thing I think of when I hear it.

Another prime example...

Cradle of Love also, but I'm trying to follow the rules

Cradle of Love is another example of a "girl in music video I fell in love with."  But yeah, rules. 

Back then, a stiff breeze could give me a woody, so yeah, I also fell in love about 30 times a day. MTV was great at feeding into that.

As for the Femmes, I never saw any of their vids on MTV or VH1 but knew of them from listening to local college radio. Saw them with Drivin' N' Cryin' in '90 at JSU. I seem to recall seeing the Pixies and even once, DNC with their one charting song, Fly Me Courageous. Lots of college kids loved them and the Violent Femmes but not enough could afford to buy their music, to put them higher on the charts.

Same here, never saw Femmes videos on MTV.  I knew about them from my "indie rock" friends, you know the kind of folks that decided they hated a band the moment anyone had actually heard of them?  I guess they were hipster pioneers or something?  Anyway, obviously once anyone else had heard of the Femmes, they abandoned them for Skinny Puppy or somesuch.

Now here's a video that I'm surprised hasn't already been mentioned (or maybe I missed it?).  It was absolutely in about an hourly rotation in the very earliest days of MTV:

13 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

So many great examples. One of the biggest ones for my from the 80s is TFF. Almost posted Shout but for some reason this one just captures the 80s for me.

This is, in my humble (but correct) opinion, the most iconic song of the 1980s. It has biting Cold War lyrics set to a fatalistic shuffle beat, and it was appropriately playing during the closing credits of one of the great 80s comedies also having an arms race theme, Real Genius. This is such a great fucking song that is the soundtrack of my childhood.