Favorite 80s Music Video

utee94

Talking Head had a number of good videos as well.  I thought this one was cool but suffered from under promotion.

I have a specific recollection of watching it and laughing my ass off and then it was followed by this, causing even more hilarity: 

I remember when this came out, MTV had a big special about it, used to run it at special times of the day.  Bowie is fucking hilarious in this, really a good actor.  And a lot of Ricky Gervais' acting in Extras (Not so much The Office), you can see he borrowed from Bowie (one of his heroes).

• Like 2

On 4/27/2018 at 5:44 PM, utee94 said:

Same here, never saw Femmes videos on MTV.  I knew about them from my "indie rock" friends, you know the kind of folks that decided they hated a band the moment anyone had actually heard of them?  I guess they were hipster pioneers or something?  Anyway, obviously once anyone else had heard of the Femmes, they abandoned them for Skinny Puppy or somesuch.

Now here's a video that I'm surprised hasn't already been mentioned (or maybe I missed it?).  It was absolutely in about an hourly rotation in the very earliest days of MTV:

On 4/27/2018 at 3:28 PM, utee94 said:

Speaking of English (and girls in videos I fell in love with):

I was in Maggie Mae's one night, and apparently Bad English had just played the Erwin Center.  

Place was pretty crowded.  Cute waitress walks by balancing tray of drinks.  John Waite standing a few feet away from me, says something leering/creepy to her.  She turns around and sneers at him with one of the most "fuck you" looks imaginable.  Waite doesn't want to be the loser of this exchange, so as she's trying to carefully pick her way through the crowd, he follows right behind her, mocking her and making a sneering face at her (even after she wasn't paying attention to him anymore).  It was one of the most dick-ish things I've ever seen in a bar--not just from a celebrity, but from a person.  Total piece of shit.  I hope he's broke and suffering ass cancer.

Edited by Paul Wesley

On 4/28/2018 at 4:40 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Figured this one would already have popped up, maybe I missed it:

It's like you took the most embarrassingly overdressed wannabe from every wealthy white high school in 1986, told them to wear their very nicest outfit, and posed them for a photo.

22 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I was in Maggie Mae's one night, and apparently Bad English had just played the Erwin Center.  

Place was pretty crowded.  Cute waitress walks by balancing tray of drinks.  John Waite standing a few feet away from me, says something leering/creepy to her.  She turns around and sneers at him with one of the most "fuck you" looks imaginable.  Waite doesn't want to be the loser of this exchange, so as she's trying to carefully pick her way through the crowd, he follows right behind her, mocking her and making a sneering face at her (even after she wasn't paying attention to him anymore).  It was one of the most dick-ish things I've ever seen in a bar--not just from a celebrity, but from a person.  Total piece of shit.  I hope he's broke and suffering ass cancer.

Well if so, I guess that's just The Price of Love.

Edited by utee94

On 4/30/2018 at 5:18 PM, Deej said:

With a cameo by Peter Tosh, and the stoop they're sitting on is the same building that's on the cover of Physical Graffiti. 

was gonna post this.   So fucking awesome.  This is my first memory of MTV as LittleBigD.   Mick is a fucking pimp.

I liked the song, The Final Countdown, but do you actually think that's a good video?  It's mostly just concert footage, with a few b-roll scenery shots and a handful of cuts to a clock and a stopwatch-- you know, to reinforce the whole "countdown" theme. ;)  It didn't even have any specific focus on very hot 80s chicks.

But if you loved the video, that's cool. 

Scorps No One Like You, on the other hand, is a masterpiece of storytelling.  It features an inmate with forks over his eyes, a hot chick in a dominatrix costume, and a shocking twist at the end.  Now THAT is an awesome 80s video!  :)

Edited by utee94

It's hard to get more "80's" than this song and this video, but I still freaking dig it.  Like in Lebowski, where the narrator says, "Sometimes, there's a man."  Well, sometimes, there's a cheesy Canadian in big shoulder pads, singing a synth-based ballad, and acting out a video that morphs from live action to cartoon and back again.  

"A criminal mind is all I've ever had,

Ask one who's known me if I'm really so bad.

I am."

• Like 1

I might have had a thing for Belinda Carlisle, at least in THIS video.  The Ray-Ban Cat glasses, the bare midriff, and then that sundress toward the end?  Yeah, that all worked for me...

Edited by utee94

No worries. I'm on conference calls with my extended team in Penang.  So, you know, that means it's time to post on surly and dig up more 80s videos.

This one was my absolute favorite pre-party pump-me-up song in... 1986 I guess?  Music videos were kind of late in The Cars' reign of popularity, but they clearly embraced having fun with them on the Heartbeat City album, and then this one was that awkward "new release" on a Greatest Hits album.  But The Cars clearly knew that if you featured a cute girl, and the lyrics "Tonight She Comes" then you might have another hit.

Edited by utee94

Wow, and as if on cue, just looking into The Cars has brought up the news that TODAY, Paulina Porizkova and Ric Ocasek have announced a "peaceful separation" after almost 30 years of marriage (1989) and it had to have been at least 5 years of dating before then.  So, it's probably my fault.

On the bright side, after decades of pining away for Paulina Porizkova, I guess I have a chance now?

In addition to loving hair metal and metal metal (and tons of outlaw country and other stuff), I am also a tremendous sap.  And I loved this song and video.  Seems sort of fitting to post it up today:

8 hours ago, utee94 said:

Wow, and as if on cue, just looking into The Cars has brought up the news that TODAY, Paulina Porizkova and Ric Ocasek have announced a "peaceful separation" after almost 30 years of marriage (1989) and it had to have been at least 5 years of dating before then.  So, it's probably my fault.

On the bright side, after decades of pining away for Paulina Porizkova, I guess I have a chance now?

In addition to loving hair metal and metal metal (and tons of outlaw country and other stuff), I am also a tremendous sap.  And I loved this song and video.  Seems sort of fitting to post it up today:

Just heard this one, of course, driving home last night.  (I drove myself home.)  My favorite Cars song, well, tied with Candy-O.  Video directed by Timothy Hutton.  And sorry, Paulina's Czech.   I'm Czech.  Outta the way.