Favorite 80s Music Video

utee94

On 4/26/2018 at 9:58 PM, utee94 said:

So, with an unashamed admission that I truly love 80s hair metal, I'll go ahead and post up one of my favorite 80s videos NOT from that genre, but instead a super-poppy video, which also happens to be one of the most famous music videos of all time.  I loved the song then, and still do.  For some reason recently, I stumbled over this on Youtube with my kids (ages 8 and 10) and they really loved it as well.  I guess it's timeless.

literally came here to post this one. 

like you, I'm all about the 80s hair metal, American thrash, NWOBHM, and pretty much Duran Duran's entire discography, but this song and video are... timeless.

^^^^

There ya go.

Just paste the link into the conversation window, and surly's software automatically embeds the link.

And I love The Cult She Sells Sanctuary, I feel like the band, and that song, were both very underrated.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:51 PM, utee94 said:

I might have had a crush on Madonna, and it's possible that it peaked with her appearance in this video.  The Material Girl was great, but looked a little too refined for me.  Nightclub-Madonna was more my speed...

That is a Great. Fucking. Song.  I never liked Madonna, but that song was badass.  And the girls loved it.

Similar track, cheesey as hell, but a big hook:

• Like 1

Yup, I loved that song.  I'm sure all of you 80s folks understand the allusion for the name T'Pau...?

And since I'm on a roll for posting up songs I love even if the video was nothing special, I present to you, The Call "Everywhere I Go."

• Like 3

The Call had several songs I really liked.  "I Still Believe" was so good that The Call's original version of it, might not even be the best, because I also really liked Tim Cappello's cover of it that appeared on The Lost Boys soundtrack.

You know, "Greatest 80s Movie Soundtracks" might be another fun thread.  Visionquest might be my favorite, but Lost Boys was pretty great.  Less Than Zero.  The Breakfast Club.  Top Gun.  There are a lot of contenders.

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Wasn't that the great Janet Jones in that video?

I was a fan of Andy Taylor's solo album Thunder back in the day. Had Steve Jones and Terry Bozzio on it IIRC.

Yes indeed, the future Mrs. Gretzky.  I found her to be quite... alluring.

And I definitely liked Andy Taylor's solo stuff.  Of course, I also really liked Duran Duran.  Which reminds me, I've seen folks post Rio, Hungry Like The Wolf, and maybe a few others.  But I don't recall, has anyone posted this one yet?  I really dug the Mad Max/Thinderdome vibe it had:

On 6/12/2018 at 3:06 PM, jimmyjazz said:

That is a Great. Fucking. Song.  I never liked Madonna, but that song was badass.  And the girls loved it.

Similar track, cheesey as hell, but a big hook:

Back to the 80's in Bali

"Exclusive back to the 80's concert featuring: T’Pau, Belinda Carlisle, Toyah, Marc Almond and Midge Ure"

https://www.imaginecruising.co.uk/royal-caribbean-cruises/voyager-of-the-seas-asia-and-far-east-12-jun-2019-9-nights/c416094/?fsource=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=post_eshot

do it.

Edited by The University
herpderp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Derka's "favorite videos" thread reminded me to check back on this one, it's been awhile.

This one never had an official music video.  But it's probably my favorite song off 1984 and this fan-made video is... uh... worth the look.

(Not sorry if I already posted a year and 7 pages ago)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Ths71 said:

Before digital morphing. G&C did this with analog cross-fade techniques.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting that. I hadn’t seen that before. That video was the direct inspiration for Elbow’s Gentle Storm video which I was familiar with.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that. I hadn’t seen that before. That video was the direct inspiration for Elbow’s Gentle Storm video which I was familiar with.

Also the inspiration for the Black or White video for Michael Jackson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I loathed it. Robert Palmer is one of the most mediocre songwriters in music history.

That song and Simply Irresistible were huge because of the Powerstation sound and videos. But yeah agreed, otherwise terrible songs. He timed it right during MTV’s heyday for sure.

My 13-year-old self liked what I saw.

Re: She’s a Beauty

There are lists of best songs from the 80s, and there are lists of songs that take you right back to a time and place in the 80s. This for me is squarely in the latter.

So is this one

• Like 1