CFB Recruiting Pipelines

texifornia

1 minute ago, PHLaggie said:

interesting; i'll be interested to see how A&M's recruiting has changed post-SEC move.  But the web site seems to be running quite slow.

Seriously. I'd imagine once the ESPN writers starting talking about it, it wasn't prepared for the spike in users.

15 hours ago, texifornia said:

This was one I'd really been curious about. Kind of amazing WVU is so consistently solid with no natural recruiting homeland.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-19-at-1-58-51-PM.png

I dunno, I would think for West Virginia the two big border states of OH and PA which are pretty fertile recruiting grounds nationally would be exactly their natural hunting grounds.  WVU has had several years of pretty decent teams, you can stay close to home.  No reason not to consider them once you step down from the tOSU/PSU/Michigan level of recruit. Florida may look a bit odd, but it is such a talent rich state that everyone goes there and can find kids to fill out rosters. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I dunno, I would think for West Virginia the two big border states of OH and PA which are pretty fertile recruiting grounds nationally would be exactly their natural hunting grounds.  WVU has had several years of pretty decent teams, you can stay close to home.  No reason not to consider them once you step down from the tOSU/PSU/Michigan level of recruit. Florida may look a bit odd, but it is such a talent rich state that everyone goes there and can find kids to fill out rosters. 

exactly.

additionally, WVU has (or had?) long-running rivalry games against Univ of Pittsburgh and to some extent against Penn State. Those games and that history likely ensures them a pipeline just like OU has one in north Texas.  And unlike OU, West Virginia's campus is pretty and isn't even that far from PA border and from Pittsburgh... that whole Mon Valley area is a major high school football recruiting area because of many good quality programs and talent... far more than the much larger Philly area.

• Hook 'Em 1

Became quite familiar with the Holgerson era WVU program. Basically would move coaches to Florida for months at a time to recruit. Attempted a philosophy shift and try to draw from the local area by promoting the values of being a mountaineer, still couldn’t get anyone to pick them over Ohio St, etc.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter