Texas commit Tamar Bates- our hope for the future

shadow_operative

Tamar Bates is Shaka's latest unearthed gem, a la Jaxson Hayes and Kai Jones, only Bates is a guard who may very well have a starting role from day one next year, even if Jones and Ramey both return. If you're wondering who is next in Shaka's diaper dandy pipeline, this is the guy.

When 24/7 updated their 2021 rankings on 8/15/20 Tamar was ranked the #114 prospect in his class. Even as recently as December 12th he was ranked #97 in his class. He's now all the way up to #61 and still climbing. The kid has been turning heads left and right ever since he committed to Texas, and especially now that's he's left Kansas and is playing for IMG. 

C0E9C49A-C411-4678-B594-3E16297DC90A.jpeg

957AD71F-089B-4122-9203-2A912BAFAF02.jpeg

the great thing about Bates, in contrast with guys like Jaxson and Kai, is that he isn't rising the ranks because he's some freak athlete with crazy upside/potential, he's simply showing and proving that he can really really hoop at a very high level. Guards who come into a P5 league and are ready to start/contribute right away are fairly rare, but that's who we have committed to us in Tamar Bates. He's the next one up for Shaka and Texas, and at this point he looks to be perhaps our best hope for the future after we lose the bulk of this current team. So remember the name. 

Highlights of his game last night against Monte Verde:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKPHS8PlIVo/?igshid=yd3u4grzfrmz

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

Yeah Ive been hearing about this Tamar cat a lot lately. He looks to be an immediate impact contributor along with David Joplin who looks to be in the John Holmes/Damion James tweener mold. 

The the underrecruited, skinny, athletic big man "project" in this upcoming recruiting class who most closely compares to Kai and Jaxson as far as his profile seems to be Keeyan Itejere. Although he seems to be further behind them at this stage of his development.  

• 2 months later...

Is anyone surprised? This incoming class committed to Shaka and we made the decision to part ways with the guy. Write them off if they don't feel comfortable with the current situation in austin, hire a good coach and get shit headed back in the right direction. Its the price of doing business when you need to dump your coach. Next year was going to suck regardless. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well there is the little bit of the unknown with whoever is the next coach at Texas. We do know Marquette will win nothing with Shaka Smart there.

Maybe the kid really wants to win an NIT title?

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't fault the young man at all for wanting to play for a Black Head Coach.  His talent and work ethic certainly warrant him to be a part of a team that suits his needs and viewpoint.  I wish him all the best.  My only word of warning to him would be---Shaka is Black Head Coach.  But he is also not good at coaching high-level basketball.  

Texas could theoretically hire a black head coach and this kid will still want to bail. In reality, he was committed to Shaka, not UT. And that's fair, so release him from his LOI and let the young man move along. One more scholarship for the next coach to work with.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Another victim brainwashed by Shaka. Sad.

remember when Greg Brown Jr was essentially threatening to have GB III commit anywhere but Texas if we fired Shaka? i wonder how he felt watching his boy helplessly sit on the sideline all night while ACU sent us packing? Shaka Smart is the fucking pied piper, and i don't mean that in no nice way. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Royale with cheese said:

Brian Davis:  Rather stunning honesty from Tamar Bates on his Texas basketball commitment. He tells Rivals, "I wanted to play for a Black head coach with everything that is going on."

Surprised that nobody's posted the "That's racist!" GIF yet.

It is. He’d rather play for any black coach over a great white, hispanic, asian, or Arab coach? That shit doesn’t work in reverse, at least not spoken publicly.

• Fuck You 2

28 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

It is. He’d rather play for any black coach over a great white, hispanic, asian, or Arab coach? That shit doesn’t work in reverse, at least not spoken publicly.

I don't know bout Hispanic or Asian, but you can absolutely make the argument that black coaches are drastically underrepresented in Div I hoops. If anything, more black players should take that position to encourage the practice of hiring black head coaches. Its interesting that you consider the players choice of who he wants to play for "racist" instead of asking why he would take that stance in light of the dearth of black head coaches in Div I. 

There are 353 Division I men’s basketball programs, and just 103 of them — or 29.2 percent — have black head coaches. When HBCUs are taken out of the equation, the number falls to 24.1 percent. In the sport’s Big Seven conferences, that number is 22.9 percent. Half of the head coaches in the Big East and the American are black, so when looking at just the Power Five leagues, the number is a paltry 13.8 percent. The Pac-12 does not have a single black head coach. The only black head coach in the Big Ten is Michigan’s Juwan Howard, who was hired in May after John Beilein left for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Are you actually, truly offended or just being a bitch?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Ten years from now, Shaka will be coaching the most talented team Guyana has ever seen.  

Just don't hydrate at half-time.  

On 3/29/2021 at 8:28 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

Yeah all you have to do is ignore the past 250+ years of American history to not understand where the kid is coming from or why it doesn't work in reverse.

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/29/2021 at 5:38 PM, shadow_operative said:

remember when Greg Brown Jr was essentially threatening to have GB III commit anywhere but Texas if we fired Shaka? i wonder how he felt watching his boy helplessly sit on the sideline all night while ACU sent us packing? Shaka Smart is the fucking pied piper, and i don't mean that in no nice way. 

I generally think you're a clown but I had the same thought

Brown helped saved Shakas job with that recruitment stuff. And we win against ACU if Brown plays 20 minutes instead of 6.

His benching seemed like a big overreaction to a few emotional minutes against Tech. Maybe more went on behind the scenes that I don't know about, but Shaka really seemed to over punish him for that fuckup.

Edited by MotownHorn

7 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

I generally think you're a clown but I had the same thought

Brown helped saved Shakas job with that recruitment stuff. And we win against ACU if Brown plays 20 minutes instead of 6.

His benching seemed like a big overreaction to a few emotional minutes against Tech. Maybe more went on behind the scenes that I don't know about, but Shaka really seemed to over punish him for that fuckup.

If Brown had been well coached, we win easily.

If Brown is out there with Sims & Jones, we win easily.

If Brown replaces Sims or Jones and plays like a chicken with his head cut off like he did late in the season, then he fouls out in about 11 minutes and we lose by 5 or more. His +/- late in the season had to have been the worst on the team. He was awful. Athletic, but awful.

Greg Brown's last 10 games:

• WV: 0 points in 24 minutes, 0-4 FG (0-4 from 3), 8 rebounds, 4 fouls, 1 block, 1 steal
  • Kansas: 13 points in 20 minutes, 4-8 (2-5 from 3), 4 rebounds, 1 turnover, 1 block
  • Texas Tech: 5 points in 13 minutes, 2-7 FG (0-4 from 3), 1 rebound, 3 fouls, 3 turnovers
  • Iowa State: 12 points in 27 minutes, 3-7 FG (1-3 from 3), 4 rebounds, 3 fouls, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, 1 block, 1 steal
  • OU: 9 points in 20 minutes, 3-7 FG (0-3 from 3), 4 rebounds, 4  fouls, 3 blocks
  • TCU: 4 points in 24 minutes, 2-6 FG (0-2 from 3), 4 rebounds, 2 fouls, 4 assists, 5 turnovers, 1 block, 1 steal
  • Texas Tech: 2 points in 13 minutes, 1-1 FG (0-0 from 3), 6 rebounds, 1 foul, 5 turnovers, 1 gigantic hissy fit
  • Ok State: 0 points in 6 minutes, 5 rebounds, 1 turnover
  • ACU: 3 points in 6 minutes, 1-1 FG (1-1 from 3), 1 foul

I don't know what the fuck happened.  Outside of KU and ISU and maybe OU, he was worthless in most of his final 10 games. 

Any other coach would have gotten a lot more out of Brown, but I don't know if his head was in the draft or what, but down the stretch, he seemed checked the fuck out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The fact that Brown has yet to announce he's entertaining the draft is interesting to me. Despite his, at times, less than aesthetically pleasing offense, Beard has a track record for incredible development. Jarrett Culver and Zaire Smith didn't exactly have potential top 10 or 1st round pick pedigree as high school recruits. And several other players on his Tech teams have increased their profile. Mac McClung's time at Georgetown was a bit underwhelming relative to his high school prospects and suddenly he was a conference player of the year candidate immediately upon transfer. Maybe Greg Brown sees this and can be persuaded to having a Blake Griffin freshman to sophomore type improvement.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

Greg Brown's last 10 games:

• WV: 0 points in 24 minutes, 0-4 FG (0-4 from 3), 8 rebounds, 4 fouls, 1 block, 1 steal
  • Kansas: 13 points in 20 minutes, 4-8 (2-5 from 3), 4 rebounds, 1 turnover, 1 block
  • Texas Tech: 5 points in 13 minutes, 2-7 FG (0-4 from 3), 1 rebound, 3 fouls, 3 turnovers
  • Iowa State: 12 points in 27 minutes, 3-7 FG (1-3 from 3), 4 rebounds, 3 fouls, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, 1 block, 1 steal
  • OU: 9 points in 20 minutes, 3-7 FG (0-3 from 3), 4 rebounds, 4  fouls, 3 blocks
  • TCU: 4 points in 24 minutes, 2-6 FG (0-2 from 3), 4 rebounds, 2 fouls, 4 assists, 5 turnovers, 1 block, 1 steal
  • Texas Tech: 2 points in 13 minutes, 1-1 FG (0-0 from 3), 6 rebounds, 1 foul, 5 turnovers, 1 gigantic hissy fit
  • Ok State: 0 points in 6 minutes, 5 rebounds, 1 turnover
  • ACU: 3 points in 6 minutes, 1-1 FG (1-1 from 3), 1 foul

I don't know what the fuck happened.  Outside of KU and ISU and maybe OU, he was worthless in most of his final 10 games. 

Any other coach would have gotten a lot more out of Brown, but I don't know if his head was in the draft or what, but down the stretch, he seemed checked the fuck out. 

it's really hard for anyone, much less a true freshman with a terrible HC, to get going when you're playing 20-24 mpg. that's such sporadic PT that you're never going to find yourself in any kind of flow or rhythm. Shaka asked GB III to stand around the perimeter waiting to shoot threes, then they had some kind of beef, and then GB III's minutes, confidence, and production disappeared. Shaka could fuck up a wet dream. 

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The fact that Brown has yet to announce he's entertaining the draft is interesting to me. Despite his, at times, less than aesthetically pleasing offense, Beard has a track record for incredible development. Jarrett Culver and Zaire Smith didn't exactly have potential top 10 or 1st round pick pedigree as high school recruits. And several other players on his Tech teams have increased their profile. Mac McClung's time at Georgetown was a bit underwhelming relative to his high school prospects and suddenly he was a conference player of the year candidate immediately upon transfer. Maybe Greg Brown sees this and can be persuaded to having a Blake Griffin freshman to sophomore type improvement.  

he could definitely see his draft stock go way up with a good year under Beard. he'll get 30-35 mpg and have every opportunity to shine. i really hope he decides to return.