The Inauguration of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris

Bama Chick

45 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Thank goodness we made it.

Redundancy aside, that is a beautiful photograph.  It's two couples who just finished dinner and are now headed back to send the babysitter home and take charge of the household again.  

Lincoln's 2nd inaugural speech

+++

Fellow-Countrymen:

At this second appearing to take the oath of the Presidential office there is less occasion for an extended address than there was at the first. Then a statement somewhat in detail of a course to be pursued seemed fitting and proper. Now, at the expiration of four years, during which public declarations have been constantly called forth on every point and phase of this great conflict which is of primary concern to the nation as a whole, little that is new could be presented. The progress of our arms, upon which all else chiefly depends, is as well known to the public as to myself, and it is, I trust, reasonably satisfactory and encouraging to all. With high hope for the future, no prediction in regard to it is ventured.

On the occasion corresponding to this four years ago all thoughts were anxiously directed to an impending civil war. All dreaded it, all sought to avert it. While the inaugural address was being delivered from this place, devoted altogether to saving the Union without war, insurgent agents were in the city seeking to destroy it without war—seeking to dissolve the Union and divide effects by negotiation. Both parties deprecated war, but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive, and the other would accept war rather than let it perish. And the war came.

One-eighth of the whole population were colored slaves, not distributed generally over the Union, but localized in the southern part of it. These slaves constituted a peculiar and powerful interest. All knew that this interest was somehow the cause of the war. To strengthen, perpetuate, and extend this interest was the object for which the insurgents would rend the Union even by war, while the Government claimed no right to do more than to restrict the territorial enlargement of it. Neither party expected for the war the magnitude or the duration which it has already attained. Neither anticipated that the cause of the conflict might cease with or even before the conflict itself should cease. Each looked for an easier triumph, and a result less fundamental and astounding. Both read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered. That of neither has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes. "Woe unto the world because of offenses; for it must needs be that offenses come, but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh." If we shall suppose that American slavery is one of those offenses which, in the providence of God, must needs come, but which, having continued through His appointed time, He now wills to remove, and that He gives to both North and South this terrible war as the woe due to those by whom the offense came, shall we discern therein any departure from those divine attributes which the believers in a living God always ascribe to Him? Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

Since nobody will really be there, I would really love it if the new Press Secretary starts the first briefing claiming it was the largest inauguration crowd of all time with a big shit eating grin- just to troll the fuckers. 

Just announce that it's the largest inauguration crowd since Obama's record-setting crowd.

All the right people might have aneurysms simultaneously.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

About 15 minutes ago, while watching CNN, there's random video footage (live) of a security officer in front of an AED station and he's pointing things out to somebody else.  And that other person (it was hard to tell at first because they're both masked up) is Alex Rodriguez.  A-Rod is suddenly essential personnel to attend the inauguration?  I'm hoping this isn't a 'Naked Gun', Reggie Jackson situation.  

Anyway, I put the flag out this morning simply because this power transition, particularly when it's from one party to another, is the hallmark of our Republic.  The whole world is watching, much more than they typically do every 4-8 years.  And so, I'm sporting the colors.  Naturally, my wife tried to talk me out of it so I didn't hurt any feelings on our street.  Fuck 'em.  To me, this day is probably more important to our nation than Independence Day.  Anybody can rebel and break away, it takes serious work to build a Republic that became the envy of the world for nearly 250 years.  It's days like this that mark our movement towards inclusive greatness.  Fireworks and drinking beer are easy (and necessary), but days like today...when we have to work with people we don't like to get shit done that we need to get done.  This is when we separate good countries from great ones.  

Commander Biden, the watch is yours. 

My Qanon relative has been texting stuff like “OMG BIDEN IS DOING THIS, TRUMP IS DOING THAT, THAT IS NOT NORMAL FOR INAUGURATIONS IS IT???” etc.   

She and her boyfriend are in their 40s and late 30s and acting like this is baby’s first inauguration.

Meanwhile my second grader is home, doing his classes on Zoom, and they are talking about the inauguration, and the second graders are asking more intelligent questions.    

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

About 15 minutes ago, while watching CNN, there's random video footage (live) of a security officer in front of an AED station and he's pointing things out to somebody else.  And that other person (it was hard to tell at first because they're both masked up) is Alex Rodriguez.  A-Rod is suddenly essential personnel to attend the inauguration? 

J Lo is performing today. That’s why 

I posted that about a week ago, that the FBI guy here in Austin said there was now chatter of them looking to sack the SCOTUS building while all eyes were on the Capitol.  I thought he was kidding because of his substance issues.  

Post #779 from the Capitol Breach News thread on DT Forum:

"In real news---FBI now reporting with the Capitol so obviously locked down, insurrectionist chatter now moving to taking over the SCOTUS building for their part in failing to 'Stop the Steal.'  with most justices at the Inauguration, it would be unclear what the purpose would be.  Perhaps to lay explosives? "

Drunken agent told me this over a week ago.  Holy shit.  He was right.  I thought he was attention shopping.  

Edited by Lobo

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Lol.  Always on the Ledge.  Also, I can't imagine they are staying in the WH for a while.  Going to take some time to exorcise it.

Yeah....can't imagine why I'd still be out on the ledge....

10 minutes ago, LABEVO said:

First threat of the new administration!!!!

Oh yeah, THAT'S why.  The fact that we've got a massive homegrown terrorist movement that continues to be stoked by the outgoing POTUS.  That seems....concerning.

Just insane to think 2 weeks ago those same areas were invaded by psychotic supporters of the worst President in US history. The difference in today and two weeks ago couldn't be more stark. How people aren't throwing something at Ted Cruz every time they pass by him, I'll never know. 

29 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I forget what the title is of the person who performs that function but they reported on CBS News earlier that it was a promotion for Goodman to be given that position. So it’s not merely ceremonial. 

Acting Deputy Senate Sergeant at Arms 

Edited by Js1

6 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’m watching and you are incorrect. 

They're mentioning Jan 6 but they're calling them protestors and not insurrectionists and traitors. Whitewashing the fact this country is in the biggest pile of shit since the mid 1800s.  You don't fight fascism by playing nice with it. You call it out and shame it every chance you get. 

• Fuck You 2