Brisket/wagyu opinions

Hanrahan

I’ve been tempted to splurge on a Japanese a5 flat, because it sounds awesome In theory, but I have no idea if wagyu quality in taste translates to a flat and/or if low and slow cooking will negate the marbling flavor found in a ribeye or strip cut. Flats are (as you would expect) much cheaper than steak cuts but still pricey. Opinions?

I couldn't find flats, but a full A5 brisket is almost $700. A5 will be Kobe, not Wagyu, it is only available from Japan, no matter what the site says:

https://cornershopapp.com/en-us/products/13k35-authentic-wagyu-japanese-wagyu-brisket-a5-grade-11-lbs-costco

A proper brisket will have the fat rendered, not sure it won't just shrivel if cooked for 12-14 hours, you could cook it hot for 6-7, and not render the fat.

Snake River Farms has a wagyu brisket for $199. I don't know how a single brisket could possibly be worth $500 more. Steaks, I can see paying the difference, but how do you justify the brisket. Unless it is just the status of saying you have eaten an A5 brisket.

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-gold-grade-wagyu-brisket.html?ne_ppc_id=9884151795&gclid=CjwKCAiAxp-ABhALEiwAXm6IyReUNag0eYJaanFHSbBB1q4_hmQAF3LmAufTZ3cp1QD1C7WnTpRclBoCw3gQAvD_BwE

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

Pecan Lodge used to do Wagyu briskets and they were amazing.  Sooo effing rich in taste.  Maybe they still do, but this was back when they were still in the Farmer's Market area.

A lot of those bbq competition tv shows said that the traveling teams would use wagyu briskets in their competitions.  anyway, i have had the same idea on wanting to try it out, but not pulled the trigger.

I couldn't find flats, but a full A5 brisket is almost $700. A5 will be Kobe, not Wagyu, it is only available from Japan, no matter what the site says:
https://cornershopapp.com/en-us/products/13k35-authentic-wagyu-japanese-wagyu-brisket-a5-grade-11-lbs-costco
A proper brisket will have the fat rendered, not sure it won't just shrivel if cooked for 12-14 hours, you could cook it hot for 6-7, and not render the fat.
Snake River Farms has a wagyu brisket for $199. I don't know how a single brisket could possibly be worth $500 more. Steaks, I can see paying the difference, but how do you justify the brisket. Unless it is just the status of saying you have eaten an A5 brisket.
https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-gold-grade-wagyu-brisket.html?ne_ppc_id=9884151795&gclid=CjwKCAiAxp-ABhALEiwAXm6IyReUNag0eYJaanFHSbBB1q4_hmQAF3LmAufTZ3cp1QD1C7WnTpRclBoCw3gQAvD_BwE

CHIEF

Jess Pryles and Evan Leroy just smoked an “A5 brisket full blood wagyu” from double 8 cattle company. $1800 brisket. All involved spoke very highly of end product.

5f3962f499c56b3e63b59f416b88f9b0.jpg
20c8296a4cf2a2bf8399ded4dc811fec.jpg
4588931211d9c5d3ace5e95273f48414.jpg
dfa3ade683aea9cbb2a91c7b8bac6c2a.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The full size HEB wagyu briskets are around $80 or $90 and damn good.  I would also recommend them.  You can also get amazing briskets from Creekstone Farms for around $200.  They are natural prime angus.  It's not wagyu, but the one me and buddy got from their and smoked was the best brisket I have ever made.  They just had a buy 1 get 1 free sale, so I got 2 more.  It still may be going on.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

The full size HEB wagyu briskets are around $80 or $90 and damn good.  I would also recommend them.  You can also get amazing briskets from Creekstone Farms for around $200.  They are natural prime angus.  It's not wagyu, but the one me and buddy got from their and smoked was the best brisket I have ever made.  They just had a buy 1 get 1 free sale, so I got 2 more.  It still may be going on.

Agreed.  For the price, the HEB Wagyu from Snake River is excellent.  Costco's prime briskets are usually very good as well.  One thing to watch out for is how damn rich the Wagyu briskets are.  The flat has the marbling of the point and the point is other-worldly.  I almost made myself sick just from the trimmings prior to serving.  Serious meat sweats.  But worth every bite.  

Absolutely no reason to pay for A5 for a brisket. Just buy 20 oz or so of strip and cut them up into 2x4 slices and sear them. Keep the grease in the pan and cook some eggs in the morning. 

Also, true A5 is from Japan and comes with a copy of the birth certificate from the cow, including a “fingerprint” of its nose. 

• Like 1

Absolutely no reason to pay for A5 for a brisket. Just buy 20 oz or so of strip and cut them up into 2x4 slices and sear them. Keep the grease in the pan and cook some eggs in the morning. 

Also, true A5 is from Japan and comes with a copy of the birth certificate from the cow, including a “fingerprint” of its nose. 

I get one of those from91b99596131fb56ebb23fbbfce53a349.jpg time to time and am pondering the brisket. Here’s a Hokkaido strip, complete with certificate from Japan.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 1/21/2021 at 6:11 PM, 4th_and_18 said:

Jess Pryles and Evan Leroy just smoked an “A5 brisket full blood wagyu” from double 8 cattle company. $1800 brisket. All involved spoke very highly of end product.

5f3962f499c56b3e63b59f416b88f9b0.jpg
20c8296a4cf2a2bf8399ded4dc811fec.jpg
4588931211d9c5d3ace5e95273f48414.jpg
dfa3ade683aea9cbb2a91c7b8bac6c2a.jpg

Don't get me wrong, because that burnt cow does look fucking good, but not $1800 good.  Not even $200 good.

I'll stick with my Costco meat.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 9:35 AM, pepper brooks said:

One thing i noted was the cooking time was way shorter than a normal prime brisket.

This.  The only brisket I've ever ruined was a Wagyu.  I did the "set it and forget it" on the WSM and spent the day fishing out at the jetties.  When we got home, the sucker was way north of 210 degrees.  We still ate most of it.  It just wasn't pretty.

On 1/21/2021 at 9:01 PM, Spaulding Smails said:

Agreed.  For the price, the HEB Wagyu from Snake River is excellent.  Costco's prime briskets are usually very good as well.  One thing to watch out for is how damn rich the Wagyu briskets are.  The flat has the marbling of the point and the point is other-worldly.  I almost made myself sick just from the trimmings prior to serving.  Serious meat sweats.  But worth every bite.  

How long and at what temperature do most of you cook the Wagyu brisket?

CHIEF

6 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

How long and at what temperature do most of you cook the Wagyu brisket?

CHIEF

I try to run my pit from 225 - 275, but occasionally let it creep up near 300.  I use the 1 hr/lb ratio as a baseline when determining a start time.  That usually ensures it's ready ahead of my target serving time.  I usually wrap it or move it off to the vertical chamber to keep it warm if it's done early.  Ultimately, I use internal temp as my gauge for pulling it off the pit.  Total cook time is similar to a normal brisket, but the stall seems like it lasts longer which I'm assuming is tied to the fact that there's higher intramuscular fat content.  

• Hook 'Em 1