Abolish the filibuster!

Hugo Stiglitz

https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

There is a text box and you can submit what you wrote above. I think it's a good idea.

Fair point on Trump trumpeting about the vaccine. He did that with the monoclonal antibodies, but unfortunately most people had no access. Biden was telling people to get vaccinated, but he's not a salesman nor does he have the grifter's knack. But I'll still take Biden wanting people to get vaccinated not just for their own health but that people getting vaccinated meant they could visit with those they love w/o putting them in danger. He is, at heart, a genuinely empathetic person.

There isn’t much doubt that the filibuster is a white supremacist tool.  Hell the entire country was founded and built based on that. Can’t really move on until we finally acknowledge that indisputable fact. It’s really not even that hard. Just acknowledge truth, and you’re there. 

Ever since the country was founded, the black people, the slaves, have been the ones who have tried to get the country to actually live up to its founding principle that all men are created equal. It’s been quite a long slog with incremental progress made. That fight continues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

We are hating on her because she’s not a rich person with a huge net worth in Congress? We need way more of those in DC 

True, but ideally they’re not moral trash fires with no values to speak of and the apparently sole political goal of pissing off Democratic voters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

But I'll still take Biden wanting people to get vaccinated not just for their own health but that people getting vaccinated meant they could visit with those they love w/o putting them in danger. He is, at heart, a genuinely empathetic person.

I guess this is a personality thing, because I don't really care about the intentions of politicians or anyone else. It's nice that Joe is a better person than Donald, but that doesn't really take me very far and it means nothing at all against helping the poor and disadvantaged.

I think Joe's apparent sincerity either buys trust with people or doesn't.

I think, at the end of the day, Joe will continue to choose the camaraderie and mystique of the Senate over becoming an open and vocal warrior for the oppressed. I trust him to be exactly what he has been for decades. Many of you guys are trusting him to become something he has never been.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

lol My entire personality is going to be “Hating on Kyrsten Sinema” until she starts acting right.

How she rolling like she is and has a negative net worth?

I'm not quite sure how she's rolling, but a sure way, maybe the best way, to achieve a negative net worth is to "roll" like a high school kid.

The US Senate has proven itself to be a failed institution of American Government that has little interest in serving the American People. Perhaps it’s by design or unchecked corruption but the world’s “most deliberative body” is a joke, especially after failing to convict an open insurrectionist, twice.  The refusal to remedy the design flaws of the Senate will be a big part of the downfall of the United States. 

• Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The US Senate has proven itself to be a failed institution of American Government that has little interest in serving the American People. Perhaps it’s by design or unchecked corruption but the world’s “most deliberative body” is a joke, especially after failing to convict an open insurrectionist, twice.  The refusal to remedy the design flaws of the Senate will be a big part of the downfall of the United States. 

The creation of the Senate serves as a harbinger of the minority rule that currently hamstrings democracy in America: it was passed by a 5-4-1 vote, which, if my math is correct, represents a minority of the 12 states that sent delegates to Philadelphia.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The creation of the Senate serves as a harbinger of the minority rule that currently hamstrings democracy in America: it was passed by a 5-4-1 vote, which, if my math is correct, represents a minority of the 12 states that sent delegates to Philadelphia.

History lessons like this would really help people understand the terms and stakes. We are woefully undereducated and propagandized about the origin of this nation.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

History lessons like this would really help people understand the terms and stakes. We are woefully undereducated and propagandized about the origin of this nation.

Um yeah, the wealthy white dudes that wrote the constitution met in secret and the details of their design rationale remained confidential for decades afterwards. 

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I guess this is a personality thing, because I don't really care about the intentions of politicians or anyone else. It's nice that Joe is a better person than Donald, but that doesn't really take me very far and it means nothing at all against helping the poor and disadvantaged.

I think Joe's apparent sincerity either buys trust with people or doesn't.

I think, at the end of the day, Joe will continue to choose the camaraderie and mystique of the Senate over becoming an open and vocal warrior for the oppressed. I trust him to be exactly what he has been for decades. Many of you guys are trusting him to become something he has never been.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Whether President Biden becomes what it would be great for him to be for society as a whole is something I have not put a great deal of thought into. Mostly I just have wanted him to set a tone of being a president that embodies the qualities of both empathy and compassion. I would love to see him be far more vocal in speaking up for the poor and oppressed in communities that largely have not had the president be that for them. I think Biden is a human being that is trying his best to be a lot of good things to a lot of people. That is in and of itself a vast improvement over his predecessor whose only overriding quality was being as harsh to minorities in this country as he possibly could be because that is just who he is. 

13 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Fetterman is literally running in PA on a "You need me to overcome Manchin" ad campaign right now.

That actually irritates me. I get it, but it would be wonderful if, you know, we could run/win races based on appealing to your constituents, and not politicians from other fucking states. THE SQUAD IS GOING TO EAT YOUR CHILDREN. Sigh. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

That actually irritates me. I get it, but it would be wonderful if, you know, we could run/win races based on appealing to your constituents, and not politicians from other fucking states. THE SQUAD IS GOING TO EAT YOUR CHILDREN. Sigh. 

I would think looking at modern politics you could find much healthier issues to develop an ulcer over, but hey, pick your poison.

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I would think looking at modern politics you could find much healthier issues to develop an ulcer over, but hey, pick your poison.

What in name of sweet christ makes you think I'm limited myself to but one ulcer, or but one underlying cause? In modern society, constraining myself to those limitations seems foolish, sir. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

Whether President Biden becomes what it would be great for him to be for society as a whole is something I have not put a great deal of thought into. Mostly I just have wanted him to set a tone of being a president that embodies the qualities of both empathy and compassion. I would love to see him be far more vocal in speaking up for the poor and oppressed in communities that largely have not had the president be that for them. I think Biden is a human being that is trying his best to be a lot of good things to a lot of people. That is in and of itself a vast improvement over his predecessor whose only overriding quality was being as harsh to minorities in this country as he possibly could be because that is just who he is. 

Taking both what you've state here and @bad_teammate's reply to my post, yes--this was partially what I've got in my head right now. I agree with BT in that I'm really really hoping he will take steps away from the Senatorial slow roll that has started to creep in as Congress bickers over the plans. However, my initial thinking has been thus: the poorest and most marginalized communities have suffered long term long before Trump but most of all it is they who have experienced real life changing trauma from this pandemic. I won't enumerate the ways, but such a travesty on so many fronts. And then to hear the voices of those not affected cry: get over collecting a measly bonus, stop crying about your woes and serve me, me, me, me, me, me!

The wounds are raw and fresh and during the last five months, having someone not railing and shit talking about cities or dropping dog whistles is a small bar, but it needed to be cleared. Biden is headed out this week to tackle repairing the foreign policy mess, while Congress meets. but I don't want Biden to lose sight that the progressive path he started down needs to continue and if that causes some battles with Congress then so be it. Chicks dig scars.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Fetterman is literally running in PA on a "You need me to overcome Manchin" ad campaign right now.

He should modify it to be a "You need me to overcome Dangerous Creature and as for Manchin; don't worry about him.  I'll whoop his ass."

Large majorities of West Virginians supported the COVID Relief Act. They also support Biden’s infrastructure bill by a comfortable margin. And there’s this:

Washington, D.C. (May 11, 2021):  More than two-thirds of West Virginia voters support the For the People Act, including a super-majority of Trump voters, according to findings of a RepresentUs poll. The poll also found that voters would not punish Sen. Joe Manchin, whose support is needed to pass the legislation, if he votes yes on the bill. The For the People Act, which passed the House, goes to the Senate for markup today.

Nearly all of the key provisions of the For the People Act are highly popular with West Virginia voters, including ensuring people’s right to vote, implementing national standards for elections, reducing the influence of big money and lobbyists in politics, and strengthening ethics laws. The poll of 402 voters was conducted April 15 to April 17.

“Making our elections fair and honest is not a partisan issue,” said RepresentUs CEO Josh Silver. “Over and over again, the American people are saying they want to get big money out of politics, they want a check on lobbyists, and they want integrity in our elections. The poll shows West Virginians are no different.”

https://act.represent.us/sign/representus-west-virginia-poll

So, who the hell is Manchin listening to?

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

So, who the hell is Manchin listening to?

His donors. 

On 6/6/2021 at 7:54 PM, BillyBadAss said:

Why not strip the bill down? Remove virtually everything except the rules on gerrymandering. The rest will take care of itself once we get through a cycle where the extremists can't win primaries anymore.

Make them defend gerrymandering. Full stop.

I agree, but keep the other voting rights provisions (early voting, paper backups, and mail-in ballots).

It isn't hard to find the most controversial parts of H.R./S 1. They are the ones involving money: campaign finance and donor disclosure. The number of Democratic Senators secretly opposed to these provisions is probably greater than one. Luckily, Democrats have proven that they can fight on roughly equal footing as Republicans in terms of fundraising lately. 

Whatever. It will never even come up for a vote without filibuster reform. Manchin is just teasing us with talk about the John Lewis VRA. 

• Like 1

He won’t care and if the pressure starts to get to him, he’ll simply switch parties without skipping a beat.

A poll, commissioned by ECU // LAV Action Fund and conducted by Global Strategy Group, shows that the For the People Act is extremely popular in West Virginia––with 79 percent of West Virginia voters supporting the billi, including three quarters of Republicans.

Edited by Satchel
  • Like 1

Related because of Manchin’s breathtaking hypocrisy:

https://www.businessinsider.com/manchin-cosponsored-elections-bill-2019-that-he-is-now-blocking-2021-6

• Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin opposes a sweeping voting-rights bill that his party's trying to pass.
  • Manchin has said he objects because no Republicans back it. With him opposing, it cannot pass.
  • Manchin cosponsored the same bill in 2019, when it also had no GOP backers.
  • Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

For awhile I thought Manchin was just doing his punching-left-but-will-vote-with-the-party theater he sometimes likes to do, but I'm becoming more and more convinced he's just genuinely stupid as shit.

He’s clearly compromised but also, he’s dumb.   This also applies to Sinema and probably a few other Senate Dems but Manchin is the most strategic albatross for the rest of them. 

5 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Feinstein must've thought Manchin was getting too popular with the press.

LOL Jacky Rosen also said something similar yesterday.

It's not just Manchin and Sinema, they are just the ones taking the heat.

And Feinstein has plenty of problems besides this - being a senile old fuck, mostly.  

On 6/8/2021 at 12:25 AM, Satchel said:

He won’t care and if the pressure starts to get to him, he’ll simply switch parties without skipping a beat.

A poll, commissioned by ECU // LAV Action Fund and conducted by Global Strategy Group, shows that the For the People Act is extremely popular in West Virginia––with 79 percent of West Virginia voters supporting the billi, including three quarters of Republicans.

I tried to find that poll and could not.  Can you share a link?

Manchin woke up on the right side of the bed today 

Manchin’s openness for filibuster reform on the call is notable given it flew in the face of many attendees’ hopes. Asked about a proposal to lower the threshold to beat back a filibuster to 55 votes, he said that it was something he was considering, but then quickly referred back to his earlier idea of forcing the minority to show up on the Senate floor in large enough numbers to maintain a filibuster.

“That’s that’s one of many good, good suggestions I’ve had,” he said of lowering the cloture total from 60 to 55. Manchin went on to discuss the last time the cloture threshold was lowered, in the 1970s.

“I looked back … when it went from 67 votes to 60 votes, and also what was happening, what made them think that it needed to change. So I’m open to looking at it, I’m just not open to getting rid of the filibuster, that’s all,” he said.

Manchin acknowledged that publicly he had drawn a line at 60, but said that he was open to other ideas. “Right now, 60 is where I planted my flag, but as long as they know that I’m going to protect this filibuster, we’re looking at good solutions,” he said. “I think, basically, it should be [that] 41 people have to force the issue versus the 60 that we need in the affirmative. So find 41 in the negative. … I think one little change that could be made right now is basically anyone who wants to filibuster ought to be required to go to the floor and basically state your objection and why you’re filibustering and also state what you think needs to change that’d fix it, so you would support it. To me, that’s pretty constructive.”

https://theintercept.com/2021/06/16/joe-manchin-leaked-billionaire-donors-no-labels/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/8/2021 at 3:50 PM, wildcat09 said:

For awhile I thought Manchin was just doing his punching-left-but-will-vote-with-the-party theater he sometimes likes to do, but I'm becoming more and more convinced he's just genuinely stupid as shit.

He is another politician that is on the verge of FAAFO if he doesn't back the voting rights bill. I get that the death cult will work against this bill, but for Manchin to not be supporting it should have some repercussions for him. 

10 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

He is another politician that is on the verge of FAAFO if he doesn't back the voting rights bill. I get that the death cult will work against this bill, but for Manchin to not be supporting it should have some repercussions for him. 

So he put out his compromise bill that he's working on getting the necessary GOP votes for and I have to say, I'd be okay with this.

Voting Legislation For the People Act Compromise

• Make election day a public holiday (New)
  • Mandate at least 15 consecutive days of early voting for federal elections (include 2 weekends)
  • Ban partisan gerrymandering and use computer models (New)
  • Require voter ID with allowable alternatives (utility bill, etc.) to prove identity to vote (New)
  • Automatic registration through DMV, with option to opt out.
  • Require states to promote access to voter registration and voting for persons with disabilities and older individuals.
  • Prohibit providing false information about elections to hinder or discourage voting and increases penalties for voter intimidation.
  • Require states to send absentee by mail ballots to eligible voters before an election if voter is not able to vote in person during early voting or election day due to eligible circumstance and allow civil penalty for failure. (New)
  • Require the Election Assistance Commission to develop model training programs and award grants for training. 10.
  • Require states to notify an individual, not later than 7 seven days before election, if his/her polling place has changed.
  • Absentee ballots shall be carried expeditiously and free of postage.
  • Require the Attorney General to develop a state-based response system and hotline that provides information on voting.
  • Allow for maintenance of voter rolls by utilizing information derived from state and federal documents.
  • Establish standards for election vendors based on cybersecurity concerns.
  • Allow provisional ballots to count for all eligible races regardless of precinct.

And by ok with this, I mean in a fucking heartbeat and progressives have to recognize that this is a huge fucking win for voting rights.  Banning partisan gerrymandering will do more than most of HR1 would accomplish.  Most states have some form of voter ID and studies show it has negligible impact on turnout, especially with easy alternatives.  Would hope it would pair with funding to get free government IDs available and easy to obtain. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1