Abolish the filibuster!

Hugo Stiglitz

13 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's all theater from him.  With infrastructure going to the frontburner, and with the parliamentarian's ruling that the infrastructure bills can be done through reconciliation, there's no need for Manchin to go out on a limb and say he favors filibuster reform now.  He can go back to saying "not under any circumstances," and it's fine.

He needs to have a bill under active consideration and have the Republicans being unreasonable and unwilling to compromise so that he can dramatically come out and say "well, I have always supported the filibuster, but these Republicans are being so unreasonable now that I have no choice but to . . . ."

When HR1 comes up, that's when Manchin makes that dramatic move.  But until then, he's going to stay where he is.

Yeah, it's obvious Manchin likes to be seen sparring with the Dems, but in past statements he'd been open to various ways of reforming the filibuster. His new statement about opposing any attempts at "weakening" it make it seem like he's now opposed to reforming it. Though if he pivots in the future he can always argue that whatever reform he suddenly supports doesn't weaken it, but if that's his thinking I don't think he did himself any favors with this statement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Yeah, it's obvious Manchin likes to be seen sparring with the Dems, but in past statements he'd been open to various ways of reforming the filibuster. His new statement about opposing any attempts at "weakening" it make it seem like he's now opposed to reforming it. Though if he pivots in the future he can always argue that whatever reform he suddenly supports doesn't weaken it, but if that's his thinking I don't think he did himself any favors with this statement.

He's our version of Susan Collins.  At the end of the day, you know he'll toe the party line just like he always does.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's all theater from him.  With infrastructure going to the frontburner, and with the parliamentarian's ruling that the infrastructure bills can be done through reconciliation, there's no need for Manchin to go out on a limb and say he favors filibuster reform now.  He can go back to saying "not under any circumstances," and it's fine.

He needs to have a bill under active consideration and have the Republicans being unreasonable and unwilling to compromise so that he can dramatically come out and say "well, I have always supported the filibuster, but these Republicans are being so unreasonable now that I have no choice but to . . . ."

When HR1 comes up, that's when Manchin makes that dramatic move.  But until then, he's going to stay where he is.

This is annoying, but I think correct. They more or less said this on the latest Pod Save America also. 

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

It is annoying and I very much hope that the Dems add to their majority and then no one will give a shit about Manchin's feelings.

Then get your checkbooks out for Fetterman, Warnock, and Hassan. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

You’re so cute when you’re delusional.

Schumer should make Manchin explain what bipartisanship in the Senate looks like. He should ask him to identify any piece of legislation that would garner 60 votes. And then he should ask him to stop wasting everybody’s time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/9/2021 at 6:48 PM, Satchel said:

Schumer should make Manchin explain what bipartisanship in the Senate looks like. He should ask him to identify any piece of legislation that would garner 60 votes. And then he should ask him to stop wasting everybody’s time.

Then he should punch the cocksucker in the mouth.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/9/2021 at 7:48 PM, Satchel said:

This for fuck sake. Thank you. 

Not passing JLVRA and HR1 is absolutely inexcusable. Congressional Democrats would be wholly complicit with the downfall of American democracy. I don’t think this country can recover from what Republicans are doing in AZ, GA, TX, etc. To do nothing is signing a death warrant.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Because he is not a Republican.  He's a proud conservative Democrat, and has been his whole life.  He's just a very conservative compared to the rest of the current caucus (pro-life-ish, member of the NRA and does not publicly support same-sex marriage) but he is strongly pro-union.  

The irony is he would have been pretty much in the middle of the caucus prior to his election (Lincoln, Pryor, Bayh, Landrieu, Begich, Harkin, Dorgan, Baucus, Johanns, Ben Nelson, Tim Johnson, Rockefeller).  He came into the Senate (elected in 2010) just as the conservative red-state Democrats were being replaced by Republicans (2010, 2014, 2018) and somehow kept/keeps getting re-elected when the rest of the caucus is getting more liberal.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

So wait...the article on Manchin says he doesn't even support HR1, period  ??

Why didn't he just run as an R to begin with, he's effectively as obstructionist as Moscow Mitch

He's said he supports some provisions (edit: and the John Lewis VRA) but not the whole bill. 

His reasoning: we currently have a lot of people who don't trust the election system, and their numbers would greatly increase if we pass a voting bill without bipartisan support. 

The reasoning is LOL funny in just how fucking backwards it is. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

He's said he supports some provisions (edit: and the John Lewis VRA) but not the whole bill. 
His reasoning: we currently have a lot of people who don't trust the election system, and their numbers would greatly increase if we pass a voting bill without bipartisan support. 
The reasoning is LOL funny in just how fucking backwards it is. 

It’s also outright incorrect as HR1 is supported by a majority of self of identified Republicans and something like two thirds of voters.
  • Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Because he is not a Republican.  He's a proud conservative Democrat, and has been his whole life.  He's just a very conservative compared to the rest of the current caucus (pro-life-ish, member of the NRA and does not publicly support same-sex marriage) but he is strongly pro-union.  

The irony is he would have been pretty much in the middle of the caucus prior to his election (Lincoln, Pryor, Bayh, Landrieu, Begich, Harkin, Dorgan, Baucus, Johanns, Ben Nelson, Tim Johnson, Rockefeller).  He came into the Senate (elected in 2010) just as the conservative red-state Democrats were being replaced by Republicans (2010, 2014, 2018) and somehow kept/keeps getting re-elected when the rest of the caucus is getting more liberal.  

Democrats have uniformly supported voting rights legislation and a good number of Republicans have joined them. What Manchin is doing, especially in the face of the GOP assault on voting rights, is new and despicable.

• Hook 'Em 4

Um not that I do not love the pile-on of Manchin and Sinema, but... There's like 8-10 Dems holding this up.  It's not 48 against 2 like everyone seems to think.

Shaheen, King, Feinstein are some others.  Mark Kelly has not taken an actual stance on the filibuster.   This was just last month: “Well, when we get to the point where we’re going to have, you know, a serious discussion about this, I’ll make a decision based on what’s in the best interest of Arizona and the country,” Kelly told reporters.

But bigly credit to Sinema and Manchin (both up in 2024) for taking all of the heat in the media and on Twitter from vulnerable 2022ers like Shaheen and Kelly.  

We're proper fucked thanks to Munchkin and The Cunt.

Someone should tell these two fucksticks that they’re one election away from being irrelevant in the Senate. Once the GOP gets it back, they won’t have any stroke whatsoever. Back the abolishment of the filibuster and they’ll be able get a lot of shit for their states for the foreseeable future

At this point we all know she can get fucked and stay fucked. Now I’m pissed at Schumer. That worthless fuckface sucks balls at recruiting candidates for office. We should be hearing about someone lining up to primary her ass at this fucking point. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

At this point we all know she can get fucked and stay fucked. Now I’m pissed at Schumer. That worthless fuckface sucks balls at recruiting candidates for office. We should be hearing about someone lining up to primary her ass at this fucking point. 

you are 100% correct, and this is qhen she would go heel q nut and change parties and then you got to convince arizona to vote blue again. 

the democrats right now seem content to have sinema and manchin and the small victories over anything substantive to push democratic policy. they should be whipping votes, not conceding them to members of their own party. 

you are 100% correct, and this is qhen she would go heel q nut and change parties and then you got to convince arizona to vote blue again. 

the democrats right now seem content to have sinema and manchin and the small victories over anything substantive to push democratic policy. they should be whipping votes, not conceding them to members of their own party. 

They should be floating stories that Manchin/Sinema are considering changing their stance on the filibuster unless the Republicans can agree on [whatever issue is on the table]. They didn’t even attempt to use this as a negotiating tool for the 1/6 commission, which is inexcusable.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Um not that I do not love the pile-on of Manchin and Sinema, but... There's like 8-10 Dems holding this up.  It's not 48 against 2 like everyone seems to think.
Shaheen, King, Feinstein are some others.  Mark Kelly has not taken an actual stance on the filibuster.   This was just last month: “Well, when we get to the point where we’re going to have, you know, a serious discussion about this, I’ll make a decision based on what’s in the best interest of Arizona and the country,” Kelly told reporters.
But bigly credit to Sinema and Manchin (both up in 2024) for taking all of the heat in the media and on Twitter from vulnerable 2022ers like Shaheen and Kelly.  

Would not surprise me in the least, but that just goes back to Schumer being completely worthless. Get your people in line... for something... anything!
  • Hook 'Em 1

The For the People act is overwhelmingly supported by citizens of both parties. Joe Manchin apparently would rather appease his GOP senate colleagues than actually protect our right to vote. You know what he will get for this vote? Nothing. He will be voted out in favor of a GOP senator next term. Congratulations on your legacy in history 

57 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The For the People act is overwhelmingly supported by citizens of both parties. Joe Manchin apparently would rather appease his GOP senate colleagues than actually protect our right to vote. You know what he will get for this vote? Nothing. He will be voted out in favor of a GOP senator next term. Congratulations on your legacy in history 

And the bully pulpit will remain unused. The lesson all good Democrats are being taught right now is that shrugging our way to fascism is what Good People do.

What I don’t understand is what the Manchin’s of the world think will happen and how this helps the country.  Same goes for Biden.  I understand trying to get bipartisan legislation on everything or even anything but if one side of the aisle refuses to participate then you end up with nothing.  Nothing is exactly what McConnell wants so the Dems have nothing to show when the mid terms occur so its a win for Republicans to sit on their hands and refuse to pass any legislation.  Then the R’s can scream “look at the Dems, they have done nothing for you.  If you would just elect us to get a majority in the house and senate then we can really help you with jobs, healthcare, unicorns and rainbows for every American, etc….”  Sadly if they do get control of Congress we will see non stop hearings on Hunter Biden, Hillary, Fauci and all those other important things that really help the American citizen.  

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

What I don’t understand is what the Manchin’s of the world think will happen and how this helps the country.  Same goes for Biden.  I understand trying to get bipartisan legislation on everything or even anything but if one side of the aisle refuses to participate then you end up with nothing.  Nothing is exactly what McConnell wants so the Dems have nothing to show when the mid terms occur so its a win for Republicans to sit on their hands and refuse to pass any legislation.  Then the R’s can scream “look at the Dems, they have done nothing for you.  If you would just elect us to get a majority in the house and senate then we can really help you with jobs, healthcare, unicorns and rainbows for every American, etc….”  Sadly if they do get control of Congress we will see non stop hearings on Hunter Biden, Hillary, Fauci and all those other important things that really help the American citizen.  

I don’t get it either. Again, as I’ve said before, Biden and the Dems act like they are smarter than the game, but in reality the game has changed and passed them by. 

50 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

It has nothing to do with Republicans or bipartisanship. That's just cover for the fact that they can't change the rules or pass legislation because of Democrats.