Shit just disappears...

20 hours ago, blacklab said:

people have said I'd be doing this for the last 14 years. At some point some of you may figure out that I will never say that.

Slorch is more than welcome to post here, but threads in the wrong forum will be moved or if they add nothing to the board they will be deleted.

Curating is a luxury. Thank you.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by washparkhorn

21 hours ago, blacklab said:

, but threads in the wrong forum will be moved or if they add nothing to the board they will be deleted.

For threads that are moved, it would be nice if there was some notification left behind to that effect. I’ve seen that feature on other sites. Dunno if the Surly software has anything like that or is feasible.

Earlier I was responding to a rep notification about a post I made in the DT, but didn’t realize that thread had been moved to the CR..... which as some know, I really have try to avoid since TOS. It did not turn out well, so I ceased my presence there. But judging from the continued quoting notifications (which I will not look at) of my wayward posts there today, the vitriol must be continuing.

After the big December “improvements” of this message board, it has been somewhat confusing now & then to figure out where I am. Perhaps I should acquire an astrolabe to navigate this site so I could avoid creating any ruckus?

4 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

For threads that are moved, it would be nice if there was some notification left behind to that effect. I’ve seen that feature on other sites. Dunno if the Surly software has anything like that or is feasible.

Earlier I was responding to a rep notification about a post I made in the DT, but didn’t realize that thread had been moved to the CR..... which as some know, I really have try to avoid since TOS. It did not turn out well, so I ceased my presence there. But judging from the continued quoting notifications (which I will not look at) of my wayward posts there today, the vitriol must be continuing.

After the big December “improvements” of this message board, it has been somewhat confusing now & then to figure out where I am. Perhaps I should acquire an astrolabe to navigate this site so I could avoid creating any ruckus?

It happens. 

You didn't get a warning point.

I have two.

19 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

There are a couple of different ways posts can be moved.

If an entire thread is moved then a messaging showing it moved appears for a couple of daya in the old forum it was in.

If some posts are selected from a thread and moved to another thread or a new thread is created with those posts no message about the move is shown. I'm pretty sure this is what happened in that case. 

Feel free to PM me if this happens again and I can delete your post that got moved to CR so you don't get messages about it, or you can stop posting political stuff in DT.

Just now, blacklab said:

There are a couple of different ways posts can be moved.

If an entire thread is moved then a messaging showing it moved appears for a couple of daya in the old forum it was in.

If some posts are selected from a thread and moved to another thread or a new thread is created with those posts no message about the move is shown. I'm pretty sure this is what happened in that case. 

Feel free to PM me if this happens again and I can delete your post that got moved to CR so you don't get messages about it, or you can stop posting political stuff in DT.

I thought I was posting about criminal activity, not politics. Some thought otherwise.

12 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

If I may ask, what is the Surly equivalent to the Blinking Envelope of Death?

I don't remember. It's been a while. I got the first one overnight and did have an email convo about it. I understood why. 

The second one I was being an asshole. I understood that was a prerequisite.

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

You might be more comfortable with a sextant...

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

image.gif.6e300dd27512d0e3c2d2ae38013826c5.gif

54 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
1 hour ago, Hate said:
Damn, that reminds me...whatever happened to SmegmaPopsicle2?

He's doing well (quite well, actually) in real life. But he decided to leave message boards & most social media over a year ago. I did share with him the fitlump news (runoff & results). He was gobsmacked by that.

social media I can completely understand. but why quit surly? you can choose what boards and threads you click on. the board usually does great self moderation but you do get some drive by political posts. but like with everything in life, you can choose how you react to said posts, for example get all fucking ragey or continue reading the rest of the thread and treat stupid posts as what they are, stupid posts. 

12 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

social media I can completely understand. but why quit surly? you can choose what boards and threads you click on. the board usually does great self moderation but you do get some drive by political posts. but like with everything in life, you can choose how you react to said posts, for example get all fucking ragey or continue reading the rest of the thread and treat stupid posts as what they are, stupid posts. 

The reason people leave Surly is because they get to write a long, self important post explaining to everyone why they just can't take this place anymore, so that people will reply and tell them what a good poster they are and how they really should stay.

It makes them feel good as they create a new account and come right back as a new personality.