Class of 2022 QB Talk

BurntOrangeBlooded15

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

He has 61 total pass attempts in games, most of them as a HS sophomore. Granted it’s part of the concern that he has so little actual competitive football experience but I’m not sure how much we can discern about his accuracy from those numbers. 

If his accuracy, footwork, and mechanics are currently looking good at camps and with his trainers that means more at this stage than a handful off passes when he was 15 playing CAHS football. No idea what kind of ball his school plays but I have my doubts they are a Todd Dodge level passing scheme. 

I’ll say this much, when watching his footwork, it looks like he has 50 pound weights strapped to his feet.  

8 hours ago, UncleSonny said:

He has 61 total pass attempts in games, most of them as a HS sophomore. Granted it’s part of the concern that he has so little actual competitive football experience but I’m not sure how much we can discern about his accuracy from those numbers. 

If his accuracy, footwork, and mechanics are currently looking good at camps and with his trainers that means more at this stage than a handful off passes when he was 15 playing CAHS football. No idea what kind of ball his school plays but I have my doubts they are a Todd Dodge level passing scheme. 

Victory was claiming he was accurate based on his highlights. My point was you can’t tell accuracy from highlights, and the actual stats we have don’t show accuracy. On top of that, his poor footwork and loopy, inconsistent arm motion from his highlights actually indicates he likely has poor accuracy. I’ve seen some camp and 7v7 stuff from him in 2020 and those problems are still there in those clips. 

I don’t like what I’ve seen from him, but I’m not holding a strong opinion on it, because there’s so little to see of him. It’s entirely possible he’s cleaned a lot of that up and if he has, then he’d be a great target at the position. 

• Hook 'Em 2

My take is accuracy can only be judged in a real life game situation with a pass rush (not 7v7 BS), and Murphy doesn't have enough HS experience to come to a conclusion yet. I agree with @Burt Macklin that what I saw in the limited highlights of his Soph season (not game film) doesn't lend itself to being an accurate passer, he's got a big inconsistent windup and bad footwork. He also doesn't seem very elusive or quick in the pocket, once he gets going he looks pretty fast for his size though.

Klubnik displays the ability to throw WRs open and has demonstrated accuracy at the highest level of TX HS football competition (67% completion last season, 35 TDs to 3 ints). He's elusive enough in the pocket to extend plays and keeps his eyes down the field in the process. He doesn't have a big NFL caliber arm, but he can make all the throws he'll need to at the next level.

• Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, elguapo said:

My take is accuracy can only be judged in a real life game situation with a pass rush (not 7v7 BS), and Murphy doesn't have enough HS experience to come to a conclusion yet. I agree with @Burt Macklin that what I saw in the limited highlights of his Soph season (not game film) doesn't lend itself to being an accurate passer, he's got a big inconsistent windup and bad footwork. He also doesn't seem very elusive or quick in the pocket, once he gets going he looks pretty fast for his size 

Other than that, how was the play, Mrs Lincoln?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Victory was claiming he was accurate based on his highlights. My point was you can’t tell accuracy from highlights, and the actual stats we have don’t show accuracy. On top of that, his poor footwork and loopy, inconsistent arm motion from his highlights actually indicates he likely has poor accuracy. I’ve seen some camp and 7v7 stuff from him in 2020 and those problems are still there in those clips. 

I don’t like what I’ve seen from him, but I’m not holding a strong opinion on it, because there’s so little to see of him. It’s entirely possible he’s cleaned a lot of that up and if he has, then he’d be a great target at the position. 

48 minutes ago, elguapo said:

My take is accuracy can only be judged in a real life game situation with a pass rush (not 7v7 BS), and Murphy doesn't have enough HS experience to come to a conclusion yet. I agree with @Burt Macklin that what I saw in the limited highlights of his Soph season (not game film) doesn't lend itself to being an accurate passer, he's got a big inconsistent windup and bad footwork. He also doesn't seem very elusive or quick in the pocket, once he gets going he looks pretty fast for his size though.

Klubnik displays the ability to throw WRs open and has demonstrated accuracy at the highest level of TX HS football competition (67% completion last season, 35 TDs to 3 ints). He's elusive enough in the pocket to extend plays and keeps his eyes down the field in the process. He doesn't have a big NFL caliber arm, but he can make all the throws he'll need to at the next level.

Agree with  both of you.  I'm not sure why he's a five star with such limited film.  Are his tools Cam Newton (no katfkid) elite?

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do not pretend to know a lot about QBs, but this kid appears to have raw talent. And taking him, in my uneducated opinion, has benefits to the program that go beyond his ultimate on field contributions. He is a highly rated, west coast, quarterback, who has been a topic since he was in 8th grade. He is also said to be very bright and motivated. If he never plays a down but is instrumental in bringing other talent, that is significant. Does it prevent Ewers from considering a flip? Not if he is a competitor. If he doesn't come to Texas because of Murphy, he deserves to live in Columbus, Ohio.  

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Does anybody have a MLB scouting report on Weigman? He went from a “not very serious baseball prospect” to a “first or second round pick” in a hurry on the Texas boards. 

No idea what his scouting report is but most say he is better at baseball than football. He is on one of the the best travel teams in the country. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 8:53 PM, TenCarryTom said:

No idea what his scouting report is but most say he is better at baseball than football. He is on one of the the best travel teams in the country. 

Haven't seen him any lower than 3rd on the dual threat qb rankings,  so where would that put him in baseball?

On 2/19/2021 at 7:52 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Does anybody have a MLB scouting report on Weigman? He went from a “not very serious baseball prospect” to a “first or second round pick” in a hurry on the Texas boards. 

Word is he is one of the better hitting high school prospects to come out of Houston in some time.  

8 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Cade Klubnik to Clemson.  I’m trying to remember the last time a high profile Texas kid headed that way. 

Clemson got a great one regardless.

Andrew Makuba went to Clemson back in the dark ages of 2021. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Andrew Makuba went to Clemson back in the dark ages of 2021. 

LOL, you’re right and there was RJ Mickens in 2020. I drew a complete blank when I posted that.

Anyway, I’m not convinced that Klubnik won’t be another Texas kid that tears it up at an OOS school at QB.

Edited by 956 Worldwide

As a Westlake homer, I'm happy for Klubnik that he chose Clemson. I think he could do really well there, but he will sure have some great competition at QB. 

If Turtle Tom was still here, I would not have wanted him to stay home, but now I am disappointed that he passed on Texas.  

No way you can compare Murphy to Klubnik at this point, and I think it's insane to have given him a 5-star rating. He has yet to throw a TD pass in HS! His camp highlights are beyond useless for evaluation purposes but perhaps his spring season will show us what he can do. I wonder what kind of training he is getting, as his mechanics look very raw.  

I think we have potentially two great QB's already on campus and the competition should be fun.

Sorry for the ramblings.

12 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

As a Westlake homer, I'm happy for Klubnik that he chose Clemson. I think he could do really well there, but he will sure have some great competition at QB. 

If Turtle Tom was still here, I would not have wanted him to stay home, but now I am disappointed that he passed on Texas.  

No way you can compare Murphy to Klubnik at this point, and I think it's insane to have given him a 5-star rating. He has yet to throw a TD pass in HS! His camp highlights are beyond useless for evaluation purposes but perhaps his spring season will show us what he can do. I wonder what kind of training he is getting, as his mechanics look very raw.  

I think we have potentially two great QB's already on campus and the competition should be fun.

Sorry for the ramblings.

Not to be a tRuSt ThE cOrChEs honk, but you can compare them in one way: Sark clearly wanted Murphy more.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Not to be a tRuSt ThE cOrChEs honk, but you can compare them in one way: Sark clearly wanted Murphy more.

Fair point. I do trust these corches, for now, and certainly a lot more than Turtle Tom, who should really donate his buyout to a worthy cause.   

12 hours ago, texifornia said:

Since Murphy is having a spring season starting this month in CA, how well does he need to perform to quiet some of the "he hasn't thrown a HS TD pass" crowd?  Or is it at a point that even if he avg's 4 TD passes a game this spring, the same narrative carries over the summer?

5 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Since Murphy is having a spring season starting this month in CA, how well does he need to perform to quiet some of the "he hasn't thrown a HS TD pass" crowd?  Or is it at a point that even if he avg's 4 TD passes a game this spring, the same narrative carries over the summer?

Sooners and aggys will continue to spread whatever dumb narrative they want. Why do you feel the need to care?

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Sooners and aggys will continue to spread whatever dumb narrative they want. Why do you feel the need to care?

Don't forget Westlake and general TXHSFB honks. But yes, there's no reason to really give a shit, though him keeping the fifth star would be fun.

• 1 month later...

Is this actually a thing these guys believe?

ALPHA DOG -- QUINN EWERS, COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE
The Southlake (Texas) Carroll five-star and nation's No. 1 overall prospect on the industry-generated 247Sports Composite and Top247 rankings did not disappoint. Ewers repeatedly showed all of the traits that have put him atop the 2022 class for the past year.

One of Ewers' most unique attributes is the second life his throws show on the back half. More than any other quarterback at Sunday's event, Ewers' throws seemed to accelerate as they progressed toward the receiver, as if the second half of the throw had another gear that other quarterbacks don't show

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Buddy of mine was with his son at the elite eleven in Dallas this past weekend. His son is a receiver and was with the group that included Ewers and Klubnik.
His impression was that Ewers had a great arm but seemed very aloof and would not talk or engage with anyone there. All the other top QBs that were there would joke around and mess with one another like high school kids would do but Quinn did not even try to talk with anyone.

In his mind Quinn seemed like all this was beneath him and he was just too good to try and make any friends. Who knows, we may have dodged a bullet if he turns into a primadona. 

5 minutes ago, Big_kat said:

Buddy of mine was with his son at the elite eleven in Dallas this past weekend. His son is a receiver and was with the group that included Ewers and Klubnik.
His impression was that Ewers had a great arm but seemed very aloof and would not talk or engage with anyone there. All the other top QBs that were there would joke around and mess with one another like high school kids would do but Quinn did not even try to talk with anyone.

In his mind Quinn seemed like all this was beneath him and he was just too good to try and make any friends. Who knows, we may have dodged a bullet if he turns into a primadona. 

interesting. do you know if his teammates went to his birthday party?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Big_kat said:

It's pretty widely known he's kind of a tool, but he's so talented it really doesn't matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

It's pretty widely known he's kind of a tool, but he's so talented it really doesn't matter.

If I had an arm like that I’d be an asshole too. I mean, I’m still an asshole but I’d like to have that arm 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Big_kat said:

Primadona? Ha, it’s Pre-Madonna...

image.gif.2cea8b1f5f3687b1ac52b9152dfa73d4.gif

• Haha 1

I just wonder if the douche factor has led Sark to move on with Murphy in the bag. Sounds like Sark isn’t real interested in getting Quinn back in the fold. 

Could that also be due to the interest from Manning?

Edited by Big_kat

38 minutes ago, Big_kat said:

I just wonder if the douche factor has led Sark to move on with Murphy in the bag. Sounds like Sark isn’t real interested in getting Quinn back in the fold. 

Nah, at least to the first para. At some point you just have to move on and if he comes back, that's neat too.

3 hours ago, Big_kat said:

Nah bro, Sark would take him in a heart beat.  He's moved on.  We'll still recruit great QBs under Sark.  

I think Sark is going to land Manning if he can show a good offense this year.  I just have this gut feeling.  I feel better about him now than I did about Ewers at any point, even when he was committed to us.  

6 hours ago, victory88 said:

Nah bro, Sark would take him in a heart beat.  He's moved on.  We'll still recruit great QBs under Sark.  

I think Sark is going to land Manning if he can show a good offense this year.  I just have this gut feeling.  I feel better about him now than I did about Ewers at any point, even when he was committed to us.  

So you feel better about a Manning with no real ties playing at Texas than a kid who committed to Texas and dreamed of being a Longhorn? 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Eggo said:

So you feel better about a Manning with no real ties playing at Texas than a kid who committed to Texas and dreamed of being a Longhorn? 

To kind of counter your question, you feel better about ewers who was committed for a couple weeks? He "dreamed of being a Longhorn" yet he made no effort to wait to see the new HC and wasted no time committing to fosu? Might as well be an out of state guy too. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It actually is Prima Donna. It relates to the best ballerina in a ballet or performer in an opera.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prima donna
The use of “Pre-Madonna” comes from rappers using it as a play on words.
No actually "Pre-Madonna" is correct. "Prima Donna" is a common misuse resulting from people being all uppity and shit.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Houston20 said:

To kind of counter your question, you feel better about ewers who was committed for a couple weeks? He "dreamed of being a Longhorn" yet he made no effort to wait to see the new HC and wasted no time committing to fosu? Might as well be an out of state guy too. 

And that was before his team lost to Austin Westlake in the playoffs and they made mean T-shirts about him and we got 2 walkons from that Westlake team Minors and Taffe (who picked him off).

That kid is not coming here.

• Hook 'Em 1

Manning would be quite the Simms type signing, wouldn’t it?

Similar in terms of celebrity. But while Manning is the top QB in his class, he’s necessarily considered to be the clear, overall, consensus #1 type talent like Ewers. Or Vince. Or Simms (as ranked coming out of high school from my recollection)

Either way, I’ll take a Murphy and a Manning and be ok with Ewers and his hair going to OSU if that’s how it ends up happening.