Class of 2022 QB Talk

BurntOrangeBlooded15

On 4/20/2021 at 8:19 PM, Mikey4 said:
On 4/20/2021 at 4:39 PM, Octavian said:
It actually is Prima Donna. It relates to the best ballerina in a ballet or performer in an opera.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prima donna
The use of “Pre-Madonna” comes from rappers using it as a play on words.

No actually "Pre-Madonna" is correct. "Prima Donna" is a common misuse resulting from people being all uppity and shit.

You don’t know if I have a cousin named Donna.

Similar in terms of celebrity. But while Manning is the top QB in his class, he’s necessarily considered to be the clear, overall, consensus #1 type talent like Ewers. Or Vince. Or Simms (as ranked coming out of high school from my recollection)

Either way, I’ll take a Murphy and a Manning and be ok with Ewers and his hair going to OSU if that’s how it ends up happening.

I think your first paragraph is missing a “negative”

I've been wondering, is there a Catch-22 situation with Ewers? If you're still holding out hope that he's a possibility the assumption is he wants to see our offense in action because if he flips again he wants to make damn sure it's the last time and he needs to see progress being made. Seems reasonable enough. 

He's also a guy who probably expects to play right away. If Card wins the job and lights it up that's a great data point that Sark will be able to work his same magic at Texas, but will Ewers be hesitant to come in behind a guy who has several more years of eligibility? Conversely If the qbs struggle Ewers would be confidant that he would win the job but unwilling to sign up for the uncertainty of playing in an offense that has yet to truly turn things around. 

TLDR: we need our qbs to play well to convince Ewers we will be a high powered offense, but if our qbs play well he may unwilling to risk being a backup qb for a few years.

Just now, UncleSonny said:

I've been wondering, is there a Catch-22 situation with Ewers? If you're still holding out hope that he's a possibility the assumption is he wants to see our offense in action because if he flips again he wants to make damn sure it's the last time and he needs to see progress being made. Seems reasonable enough. 

He's also a guy who probably expects to play right away. If Card wins the job and lights it up that's a great data point that Sark will be able to work his same magic at Texas, but will Ewers be hesitant to come in behind a guy who has several more years of eligibility? Conversely If the qbs struggle Ewers would be confidant that he would win the job but unwilling to sign up for the uncertainty of playing in an offense that has yet to truly turn things around. 

TLDR: we need our qbs to play well to convince Ewers we will be a high powered offense, but if our qbs play well he may unwilling to risk being a backup qb for a few years.

If Card really lights it up then Ewers’ freshman year will likely be the year Card goes to the draft. So he’d only sit behind him for a year.

Real bear case here is that Card wins the job but is good enough to keep the job, not great enough to get drafted. Then it would come down to Sark having to make a decision to let Ewers take over. I’d say this is unlikely though given how Card looked in the spring game. Kid made some real NFL throws and has the arm strength for some tricker throws across the body/throwing people open. It’s a shame we didn’t get to see him with the first team after he settled down a bit.

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Not an unreasonable take/assumption. It'll be fun to watch this play out and how Sark manages it. Manning will most likely not commit to the same school as Ewers. If Card wins the job and Ewers still commits we'll all be happy of course but it sets up for an interesting roster situation that's not as clean as Red Five mentioned between Card and Manning. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Well it's not like OSU has a cleared out depth chart. If he needed to start as a true freshman I'm guessing he'd be committed elsewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If Ewers flips he starts as a freshmen. Maybe not right out of the gates but he eventually takes over. 

I think we land Stewart again if Ewers flips as well. 

if card/casey are good enough to hold him off, he will sit for a year or so. if he cant do that because he puts his own interests in front of the team's then let him go elsewhere. if he is just that much better, then YAY us and let the other QBs transfer. but i pray to God that Sark will not hand the job to anyone and make everyone, including the QB, earn their spot.

And yeah, Ewers isnt walking into OSU and taking over freshman year either.

It is probably the worst thing that can happen to a QB. It was not good for Simms or Gilbert. I am all in favor of letting QBs sit their first year and most of the data supports that position.

Edited by Longhorn94

11 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Well it's not like OSU has a cleared out depth chart. If he needed to start as a true freshman I'm guessing he'd be committed elsewhere. 

No doubt, but they have the advantage of his current commitment and Day's success there. If their qbs struggle this season it's easy to just sell that it's on the players and things will take off again once Ewers enrolls. Sarkisian at Texas is more of an unknown.

Not that I think Sarkisian will have a particularly tough time selling his ability to develop the qb position.

On 4/22/2021 at 11:33 PM, Blackcat00 said:

Yikes that tattoo looks awful. 

I think I can tell what he is going for with the tattoo, but it is only half a verse as well. “nor will they say, 'Look, here it is!' or 'There!' for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you."”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭17:21‬ ‭ESV‬‬
https://www.bible.com/59/luk.17.21.esv

Edited by Sock Monkey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Has there been new news recently about Ewers or is it just an assumption we’re still in the wait and see with him? When Maalik committed it seemed to be the somewhat end of it but it seems to have spiked up again. 

The only reason it has spiked is wishful thinking.

Also, I hear Jaylen Waddle may forego the draft and enter the portal with Texas as his most likely destination. 

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

The only reason it has spiked is wishful thinking.

Sort of. He seems happy with his OSU commitment and will very likely end up there but this isn't exactly predicting a Waddle transfer, signing Rashan Gary, or any of the other message board fantasies over the years. 9.95ers and posters in the know here have indicated that there is communication between the Ewers family and Texas coaches. If something changes with his OSU commitment Sarkisian seems to be making sure that Texas is his first option. Maybe that is just necessary due diligence because of his talent level or maybe the staff feels like it's a real possibility. 

I don't know shit about fuck but I'm feeling pretty good about our chances with Manning in 2023 in the likely event we miss on Ewers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

It is probably the worst thing that can happen to a QB. It was not good for Simms or Gilbert. I am all in favor of letting QBs sit their first year and most of the data supports that position.

Gilbert Grape did sit his freshman year. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

Gilbert Grape did sit his freshman year. 

Yeah. Nothing like getting thrown into the national championship game mid first drive as a fralshman to really get that development going. 

Kid cried on the side line. And I don't really blame him. Talk about a mind fuck.