Class of 2022 QB Talk

This class is as loaded of a QB class as I can remember and the thought/hope is we get one of the big names up for grabs.  Having the horns linked to a few, figured I’d make an all encompassing thread to discuss, post tweets,  bitch and moan over who or what everyone thinks.

The main names so far

Quinn Ewers, Southlake Carroll. Obviously this one we all know about.  Biggest prize and all of us are hoping for the flip.  Ranked #1 prospect and Pro QB. 5* - 1.000 247 composite grade

Maalik Murphy, Junipero Sierra (CA). Relatively new to Texas talks.  Really seems to like the Sark hire.  Bigger kid at 6’4 225 and, from the little film I’ve watched, can sling it. Doesn’t have much film due to no CA fall football.  Ranked #30 prospect and #2 Pro QB. 5* - .9843 247 composite grade 

Conner Weigman, Bridgeland.  Only dual threat linked to Texas talks.   Might not be what Sark is looking for but who knows.  Smaller frame at 6’1 205.  Others probably know more about him than me.  Ranked #93 overall prospect and #5 Dual QB.  4* - .9606 247 composite grade

Cade Klubnik, Westlake.  Saw the kid go blow for blow with Ewers and win a state title, his 2nd in a row.  I believe he’s an aggy legacy but doesn’t seem like a lock to anyone.  247 lists him at 6’2.5 178. Ranked #155 prospect and #6 Pro QB.  4* - .9387 247 composite grade

The best situation is an Ewers re-flip but what are preferences if he doesn’t?  Other guys that aren’t on the radar yet?  

• Hook 'Em 1

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Cade-Klubnik-Conner-Weigman-Bridgeland-Austin-Westlake-Texas-High-School-Football-159762665/

Football fans in the state of Texas have kept an eye on the quarterback position in the class of 2022 for one main reason: Quinn Ewers. And it's for obvious reasons.

Ewers is the first quarterback from the state of Texas to be ranked as the No. 1 overall recruit in the country since Vince Young and he has made some eye-boggling plays in his two seasons as the starter at Southlake Carroll in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

He's a generational talent that had every recruiting department in the country just grasping for an opportunity to land his commitment after his decommitment from Texas in October, but Ohio State made their pitch swiftly and it was wrapped up soon after.

Assuming Ewers stays steadfast in his commitment to the Buckeyes down the stretch, there are still elite quarterbacks in the state of Texas to choose from with two names leading that pack: Austin Westlake's Cade Klubnik and Cypress Bridgeland's Conner Weigman.

In the first major 247Sports rankings update for the 2022 class back in early 2020, Klubnik was ranked as the No. 2 quarterback in the state after helping lead Westlake to their second state championship in school history. In his sophomore season, he split time as the starter with a senior, but was still able to deliver key plays in the playoffs when the Chaps needed them. The potential with his arm skills and lengthy frame made for an intriguing prospect going into the 2020 season.

With limited playing time in 2019, Klubnik's abilities were still a bit of a mystery. Would he be able to take over close games late? How consistent could he be as the season went on? Most of those questions were answered when he helped lead Westlake to another state championship win in 2020, including an upset over North Shore in the semi-finals. In analyzing his skillset, his accuracy is what jumps out. In 2020, he completed 68 percent of his passes while throwing for 35 touchdowns compared to just 3 interceptions. In a high-pressure situation against North Shore in a game when he wasn't at his best, Klubnik drove the Chaps down the field and powered in for a score on 4th & Goal to take the lead for good. Even when Klubnik is off, he finds ways to win, and some might tell you that that is his most coveted trait as a quarterback.

Weigman, a two-year starter at Bridgeland, was heard of as just a baseball kid during his sophomore season with the Bears. Despite throwing for over 2,500 yards and accounting for 34 touchdowns on the year, major recruiting attention didn't come his way until his junior season. One of the top baseball recruits in the country for his class, his skills on the diamond can be seen on the gridiron as well with his arm skills and angles paired with his ability to escape the pocket and convert on an extended play.

During his junior season, he fine-tuned those skills and upped his game to an elite level, even while nursing a partially torn MCL for the majority of the season. While his full rushing capabilities were forced to take a backseat as the season went on, Weigman was still able to extend broken plays for big gains on the ground (581 rushing yards, 9 touchdowns in 2020). While his deep-ball accuracy still needs some work, his short-to-medium throws have proven to be surgical.

We now sit here at the conclusion of each of their junior seasons with schools in the region such as Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor and Oklahoma all vying for the shot at just one of their commitments in the cycle. But the question that no school has seemed to answer so far is who should be made the priority?

Both make compelling cases for the better quarterback, with both having parts of their game that the other does not. For Weigman, it's the ability to elude pressure at an elite level and extend plays outside the pocket. For Klubnik, it's the ability to make the correct decision downfield when his offense needs a big play.

As they each head into their final off-season as high school recruits, Weigman sits as the No. 93 recruit in the country while Klubnik sits at No. 155. With another major 2022 rankings update on the horizon, one of the more notable storylines will be which quarterback gets placed above the other now that they each have solid junior seasons to bring to the table.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gabe Brooks on Klubnik and Weigman:

247Sports' Midlands Region Recruiting Analyst Gabe Brooks had this to say in his evaluation of Klubnik:

"Good height and lean build with above-average frame. Highly productive QB vs. TXHSFB 6A competition. Throws with an overhead release and generally stays on top of the ball. Comfortable in the pocket and off-schedule situations. Competent as an improvisational QB. Shows throw-on-the-run capability to multiple levels. Pro-style QB but mobile enough to keep defenses honest. Displays good velocity to the middle of the field, especially when footwork is consistent. Will enter college having faced strong competition relative to high school level. Competitor who participates in track and field (400 meters, long jump, triple jump). Wind-up delivery and will need to quicken release. Can transfer over-the-middle velocity more consistently to perimeter throws. Occasionally takes unnecessary chances. One of the top QB's in Texas in what looks like another strong class at the position. Projects to high-major level with long-term NFL Draft potential."

Gabe Brooks' evaluation of Weigman:

"Adequate height with a stout, athletic build. High-level natural athlete who is an elite baseball prospect. Loose, live arm transfers to passing ability on the gridiron. Displays impressive release quickness with requisite vertical arm strength to consistently stretch the field. Increasingly dangerous in off-schedule situations. Natural playmaker whose functional athleticism allows for scrambling ability that leads to chunk yardage or accurate throws while on the move. Shows short-area foot quickness to evade rushers. Also flashes legitimate big-play speed as a runner. Takes some chances at times and gambles on his tools, but that's part of what makes him good. One of the top QB's in the country's 2022 class with long-term potential to become a multi-year high-major starter and play beyond college."

• Hook 'Em 3

In another classic recruiting forum "I don't know anything but here's my opinion" post: 

I prefer QB recruits who can't hit a baseball. Unless it's apparent he loves football and only tolerates baseball like Murray, the guaranteed baseball money along with longer careers and lower injury rates can be hard to beat for focus. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

In another classic recruiting forum "I don't know anything but here's my opinion" post: 

I prefer QB recruits who can't hit a baseball. Unless it's apparent he loves football and only tolerates baseball like Murray, the guaranteed baseball money along with longer careers and lower injury rates can be hard to beat for focus. 

Since its already out there, I'll mention the mcl sprain. If you didn't know he was hurt it just looked like they told him not to run and didn't call designed qb runs. He was on pace for over 1000 yards rushing before the injury. The fact that he missed zero football with that injury playing behind a subpar offensive line (thats being kind) tells you: 

A. He's tough as shit. 

B. He's a very competitive son of a bitch. Wouldn't have gone to Bridgeland if he wasn't (open enrollment at the time). He unseated a returning starter at qb who later transferred for his senior year 

C. He loves football. He could have easily shut it down for 2 or 3 games (or more) to not risk worsening the injury especially given his athletic future.  Bridgeland would have been a .500 team without him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/21/2021 at 8:26 PM, Brandon said:

I don't think you can go wrong with anyone on that list. I'm more interested in the receivers Sark signs this cycle, to be honest. 

Agreed. I think a room in 2022 that goes Thompson, Card, Wright, Kulbnik puts us in a good spot. Even if Card transfers.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pdawg88 said:

As in OU fan I love to hear this. If Card is starting over Kendall, Texas has problems. 

You're a moron, but I'll play along.

Several people here, regardless of the show Casey Thompson put on in the Bowl Game, believe that Card is the best QB on the roster and will win the starting job next year. Card was certainly a more highly touted recruit.

12 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Several people here, regardless of the show Casey Thompson put on in the Bowl Game, believe that Card is the best QB on the roster and will win the starting job next year. Card was certainly a more highly touted recruit.

Moron? Man you really got me, you really showed me didn’t you? Be better next time. 

• Fuck You 10

Boys, I didn’t come on this site to talk shit. I really enjoy your site. I just think Casey is a really good QB. My son plays on his dads 7vs7 team here in OKC. Casey works with the QB’s and is a great kid. Card might be the next Joe Montana, but I just wouldn’t give up on Casey yet. 

Boys, I didn’t come on this site to talk shit. I really enjoy your site. I just think Casey is a really good QB. My son plays on his dads 7vs7 team here in OKC. Casey works with the QB’s and is a great kid. Card might be the next Joe Montana, but I just wouldn’t give up on Casey yet. 
Anyone who has given up on Casey after that bowl performance is beyond moronic. That being said, we (thankfully) dont get to choose the starter from the surly. I trust the coaching staff to choose whichever QB makes it more likely they see the end of their contract.

13 hours ago, Hornlover said:

I think if Card was going to win it he would have won it by now. That's my line of thinking in saying that he may transfer if he sits behind Casey all of 2021. I wasn't slighting Card or even being bearish on his abilities - that's just how these things work in CFB right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Hornlover said:

But that was based off of nothing more than hearsay and 9.95er "reports".   Probably a coin flip.  Both those guys have 0 snaps in Sark's offense, and Casey has, what 30, more snaps overall.  

Thompson looked 10 times better than Ehlinger in the one single half against Colorado.  With that said, Colorado is fucking terrible and they clearly had no game tape of Thompson.  Jerrod Heard looked like a great QB at one point until teams figured out he would only throw to one side of the field.  Thompson has now had 3 years of the best QB trainers and 3 years of being in a D-1 program.  With his work ethic, I wouldn't be shocked if he won the starting job convincingly.  From the limited game film, his footwork footwork and mechanics looked great.  He went through his progressions better than Sam and he's got great speed for a QB.  I also don't think Card transfers if he doesn't win the job this year.  He's going to get to learn under Sark and take over this offense.  He has to be looking at how well Mac Jones played while learning as the back up under Sark and then starting.  It would be foolish of him to transfer.

I also just watched Malik Murphy's highlights.  He's a huge QB.  Dude has a cannon for an arm and can throw some bullets.  He' pretty accurate with his throws on his limited highlights and camp videos.  With that said, his footwork looks terrible and he has a slow wind up.  If Sark can fix those problems, he's going to have a literal monster at QB at his size with one of the strongest arms in college football.  He physically looks like Cam Newton.  

Edited by victory88
  • Hook 'Em 1

Exactly. Card will bail if we flip Ewers. If not the kid will have the starting position for two years then off to the NFL

Keep in mind Thompson will also get much better coaching and a game plan under Sark and his staff compared to what Herman threw out there. Excited but not drinking the kool aid just yet. 

Edited by Blackcat00

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

May depend on whether we flip Ewers back.

No self respecting college QB should transfer because of a high school QB who is 2 years junior to him. If Card does, he is not what we want at the QB position. I think Casey will win out the QB competition in the Spring. If he struggles in games, Card will have a chance to come in and prove what he is made of, but in limited actions so far, he didn't seem ready. He needs time.

4 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

No self respecting college QB should transfer because of a high school QB who is 2 years junior to him. If Card does, he is not what we want at the QB position. I think Casey will win out the QB competition in the Spring. If he struggles in games, Card will have a chance to come in and prove what he is made of, but in limited actions so far, he didn't seem ready. He needs time.

If Casey lights it up in 2021 - says he's returning - and then Ewers commits then I'm failing to see when Card gets to be QB1. Unless you think Ewers wouldn't be ready to go as a RS-FR - or Casey gets injured. I don't see Ewers committing somewhere that he doesn't think he would be QB1 by his 2nd year. He's a 1.000 composite 5 star...

Just now, ztejas said:

If Casey lights it up in 2021 - says he's returning - and then Ewers commits then I'm failing to see when Card gets to be QB1. Unless you think Ewers wouldn't be ready to go as a RS-FR - or Casey gets injured. I don't see Ewers committing somewhere that he doesn't think he would be QB1 by his 2nd year. He's a 1.000 composite 5 star...

Card will get a chance to duke it out with Ewers, and if he loses, then I see him transferring but I failed to see him quit before seeing if he can win the job. Ideally, a QB shouldn't be QB1 until his junior year.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s hilarious to see people speak in absolutes about what will happen with stuff like this. 

Exactly.

Its also hilarious to see people talking about what happens when Card dukes it out with Ewers who...you know...is committed to Ohio State because FUCK YOU TOM.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/21/2021 at 7:52 PM, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

This class is as loaded of a QB class as I can remember and the thought/hope is we get one of the big names up for grabs.  Having the horns linked to a few, figured I’d make an all encompassing thread to discuss, post tweets,  bitch and moan over who or what everyone thinks.

The main names so far

Quinn Ewers, Southlake Carroll. Obviously this one we all know about.  Biggest prize and all of us are hoping for the flip.  Ranked #1 prospect and Pro QB. 5* - 1.000 247 composite grade

Maalik Murphy, Junipero Sierra (CA). Relatively new to Texas talks.  Really seems to like the Sark hire.  Bigger kid at 6’4 225 and, from the little film I’ve watched, can sling it. Doesn’t have much film due to no CA fall football.  Ranked #30 prospect and #2 Pro QB. 5* - .9843 247 composite grade 

Conner Weigman, Bridgeland.  Only dual threat linked to Texas talks.   Might not be what Sark is looking for but who knows.  Smaller frame at 6’1 205.  Others probably know more about him than me.  Ranked #93 overall prospect and #5 Dual QB.  4* - .9606 247 composite grade

Cade Klubnik, Westlake.  Saw the kid go blow for blow with Ewers and win a state title, his 2nd in a row.  I believe he’s an aggy legacy but doesn’t seem like a lock to anyone.  247 lists him at 6’2.5 178. Ranked #155 prospect and #6 Pro QB.  4* - .9387 247 composite grade

The best situation is an Ewers re-flip but what are preferences if he doesn’t?  Other guys that aren’t on the radar yet?  

Klubnik's brother played WR at Yale so no reason to assume that they are a hard-core Aggie family. 

Did I miss something with Ewers? Some news or info that I didn't catch? He's been actively recruiting for tOSU (2022-2024 kids) and by extension against Texas. McCord was committed to tOSU before Ewers - so yeah, there wasn't a surprise there he knew there'd be a 5* in front of him. He knows there likely will be a 5* in the 2023 class as well. It's kind of the point. I just don't see any reason to believe that he'd be a flipback candidate, but I'm all ears. Also, Hudson Card wouldn't immediately leave if Ewers flipped. FFS he was active in recruiting Quinn to Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Did I miss something with Ewers? Some news or info that I didn't catch? He's been actively recruiting for tOSU (2022-2024 kids) and by extension against Texas. McCord was committed to tOSU before Ewers - so yeah, there wasn't a surprise there he knew there'd be a 5* in front of him. He knows there likely will be a 5* in the 2023 class as well. It's kind of the point. I just don't see any reason to believe that he'd be a flipback candidate, but I'm all ears. Also, Hudson Card wouldn't immediately leave if Ewers flipped. FFS he was active in recruiting Quinn to Texas. 

But to expand more on it - all the more hooked in people said "if a flip will happen, it'll happen quickly."

A few weeks went by and Ewers laughed at a guy on IG saying he might flip, changed his profile picture to a buck in an OSU hat, retweeted some Ohio State stuff, and still has his commitment tweet pinned.

People just don't want to believe what's right in front of them.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Blackcat00 said:

Exactly. Card will bail if we flip Ewers. If not the kid will have the starting position for two years then off to the NFL

Keep in mind Thompson will also get much better coaching and a game plan under Sark and his staff compared to what Herman threw out there. Excited but not drinking the kool aid just yet. 

Why would Card bail due to a rising senior when Card has a chance to start this year?

It's all speculation at this point, but @Pdawg88's complete lack of understanding of the Longhorns QB room is the reason I called him a moron. 

Plenty of quality QBs either can't beat the guy ahead or get passed by a younger guy behind, and decide to move on. Kelly Bryant(Trevor Lawrence), Joe Burrow (Dwayne Haskins), Kyler Murray/Kyle Allen(Jake Hubenak - lol), Jalen Hurts (Tua), Justin Fields (Jake Fromm). 

It wouldn't shock me either way if one of them won the job, and the other decided to transfer. We've seen actual game footage for one half of a football game for Casey where he looked electric. That game may represent his floor, and he's ready to have a Heisman season next year. Or, he might never achieve that kind of game again.

Maybe Card is the second coming of Trevor Lawrence, and wins the starting job in Spring Practice? Who knows? It's not likely, but not inconceivable.

The most likely scenario is that the upperclassman wins the job, and holds it for a year or two before getting passed by or moving to the NFL. But that's not always the case.

• Hook 'Em 1