Class of 2022 QB Talk

BurntOrangeBlooded15

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

It's all speculation at this point, but @Pdawg88's complete lack of understanding of the Longhorns QB room is the reason I called him a moron. 

Plenty of quality QBs either can't beat the guy ahead or get passed by a younger guy behind, and decide to move on. Kelly Bryant(Trevor Lawrence), Joe Burrow (Dwayne Haskins), Kyler Murray/Kyle Allen(Jake Hubenak - lol), Jalen Hurts (Tua), Justin Fields (Jake Fromm). 

It wouldn't shock me either way if one of them won the job, and the other decided to transfer. We've seen actual game footage for one half of a football game for Casey where he looked electric. That game may represent his floor, and he's ready to have a Heisman season next year. Or, he might never achieve that kind of game again.

Maybe Card is the second coming of Trevor Lawrence, and wins the starting job in Spring Practice? Who knows? It's not likely, but not inconceivable.

The most likely scenario is that the upperclassman wins the job, and holds it for a year or two before getting passed by or moving to the NFL. But that's not always the case.

You can call me me anything you want. One of your fellow horn fans started naming starters, not me. So I understand your quarterback room pretty good. If it matters I talk to Charles at my sons last practice and he was very excited about the new head coach. Said some of the playbook was very, very different than last year. Any hoot, didn’t come here to start shit. 

5 hours ago, victory88 said:

Thompson looked 10 times better than Ehlinger in the one single half against Colorado.  With that said, Colorado is fucking terrible and they clearly had no game tape of Thompson.  Jerrod Heard looked like a great QB at one point until teams figured out he would only throw to one side of the field.  Thompson has now had 3 years of the best QB trainers and 3 years of being in a D-1 program.  With his work ethic, I wouldn't be shocked if he won the starting job convincingly.  From the limited game film, his footwork footwork and mechanics looked great.  He went through his progressions better than Sam and he's got great speed for a QB.  I also don't think Card transfers if he doesn't win the job this year.  He's going to get to learn under Sark and take over this offense.  He has to be looking at how well Mac Jones played while learning as the back up under Sark and then starting.  It would be foolish of him to transfer.

I also just watched Malik Murphy's highlights.  He's a huge QB.  Dude has a cannon for an arm and can throw some bullets.  He' pretty accurate with his throws on his limited highlights and camp videos.  With that said, his footwork looks terrible and he has a slow wind up.  If Sark can fix those problems, he's going to have a literal monster at QB at his size with one of the strongest arms in college football.  He physically looks like Cam Newton.  

Maybe Ben Roethlisberger? 

42 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Who is your avatar?  Asking for a friend. 

Let your friend know it was at a UTV park here in Oklahoma. I asked the guy if it was from what I thought it was and he just laughed. Thought it was a cool picture, seems like you didn’t? 

8 hours ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Card will get a chance to duke it out with Ewers, and if he loses, then I see him transferring but I failed to see him quit before seeing if he can win the job. Ideally, a QB shouldn't be QB1 until his junior year.

Trying to think of recent star QBs that weren’t starting as freshman or sophomores. Burrow (who transferred), Mac Jones, Kyle Trask. Sure I’m missing some. Regardless the “wait in the wings for a few years and learn” era of QBs is over. Same at the pro level.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Pdawg88 said:

You can call me me anything you want. One of your fellow horn fans started naming starters, not me. So I understand your quarterback room pretty good. If it matters I talk to Charles at my sons last practice and he was very excited about the new head coach. Said some of the playbook was very, very different than last year. Any hoot, didn’t come here to start shit. 

tenor.gif?itemid=17700680

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

Trying to think of recent star QBs that weren’t starting as freshman or sophomores. Burrow (who transferred), Mac Jones, Kyle Trask. Sure I’m missing some. Regardless the “wait in the wings for a few years and learn” era of QBs is over. Same at the pro level.

But at least my coach doesn’t eat his boogers 

• Fuck You 3

13 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yeah I'll take action for anyone that thinks Ewers isn't playing in year 2. 

Just now, elguapo said:

If we can't flip Ewers I'm taking Kubs over Maalik at this point. Kubs has demonstrated he is an accurate passer in real life game situations against elite HS competition, Maalik unfortunately didn't get that opportunity this season.

Idk. There's enough QBs on campus that I think they should take a risk on a really high upside kid. Also landing a high profile kid from CA would be good for future efforts there.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, elguapo said:

Not really, especially if whoever loses out between Thompson/Card hits the portal.

Well the point is he's unlikely to start in 2022 and Sark's offense doesn't lend itself to getting its QBs destroyed unlike Mensa's. I have pretty strong doubts that Card will hit the portal regardless this year.

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Klubnik is definitely the safer pick, but Murphy has the higher upside by a lot. I’d rather shoot for the stars with Murphy and maybe take a lower ranked 2nd QB if you have to.

Murphy's big edge on Klubnik seems to be arm strength, which imo is an overrated skill for cfb QBs. I value accuracy and decision making much higher. It's hard to glean much on those 2 aspects from Murphy since he didn't play this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

For better or worse I think it all comes back to how the staff views the likelihood of flipping Ewers back and we just don't know. It's pretty common for elite qbs to shut things down early and if Murphy wants in it would be hard for the staff to say no for an outside shot with Ewers. If we get a commitment from Murphy relatively soon it's because the staff got word that Ewers is a lost cause. 

If they feel relatively confident about their odds getting Ewers back maybe they keep Klubnik warm and continue to press for Ewers. In that way Weigman to aggy may work out ok for us.

Klubnik seems like a nice high floor backup plan but all things being equal I can't see Sark choosing him over Murphy. 

37 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Murphy's big edge on Klubnik seems to be arm strength, which imo is an overrated skill for cfb QBs. I value accuracy and decision making much higher. It's hard to glean much on those 2 aspects from Murphy since he didn't play this season.

Everything I hear about Murphy says he is pretty accurate as a passer. I get the hesitation though, because with Murphy we are just going to have to trust some of the evaluators since there isn’t much tape and it’s easier to just go with what’s more familiar. But Klubnik has some pretty obvious limitations and quirks that need to be fixed, like his slow wind-up delivery for instance.

In a cycle after we took Charles Wright, I want the higher-ceiling kid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Everything I hear about Murphy says he is pretty accurate as a passer. I get the hesitation though, because with Murphy we are just going to have to trust some of the evaluators since there isn’t much tape and it’s easier to just go with what’s more familiar. But Klubnik has some pretty obvious limitations and quirks that need to be fixed, like his slow wind-up delivery for instance.

In a cycle after we took Charles Wright, I want the higher-ceiling kid. 

Maalik appears to have elite raw talent, and I'll be very happy if that's who we end up with. I think the limitations that Klubnik has are more of a problem at the pro level than college.

30 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

We keep getting RB's like Bijan and Blue Sark will be fine having a guy like Klub's managing a game

Nah, I was told there would be #nobrakes. 

Sark doesn't use game managers, his qbs needs to be able to push the ball down the field, hit guys on the move, and create big plays. Klub may very well be well-suited to do all of that but there is no way Sark is looking at a talented rb room and thinking "cool, now I can just grind out some wins no matter who the qb is".

• Hook 'Em 1

Keep in mind that, assuming Casey wins the job next year, Card could still be a Freshman when these QBs get to campus. Maybe he portals but if he doesn't, that gives you a lot more comfort in gambling on Murphy.

Regardless, QB is one position where I have a lot of trust in Sark. With only 3 offers made including Ewers, he clearly has an idea of what he wants. If that guy is Klub, I am certainly not going to argue with it.

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Keep in mind that, assuming Casey wins the job next year, Card could still be a Freshman when these QBs get to campus. Maybe he portals but if he doesn't, that gives you a lot more comfort in gambling on Murphy.

Regardless, QB is one position where I have a lot of trust in Sark. With only 3 offers made including Ewers, he clearly has an idea of what he wants. If that guy is Klub, I am certainly not going to argue with it.

Having Charles Wright and Cole Lourde in the qb room also helps with taking a risk on Murphy 

• Hook 'Em 6

Casey will be drafted higher than Sam if he is the QB1 this year. For a QB to be drafted, you only need one good year of tape provided you have the measurables. Having too much tape out there (especially if a lot of it is not flattering) won't help your cause. Sam was wildly inaccurate as a freshman, a label that stayed with him even though his accuracy improved. 

18 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Casey will be drafted higher than Sam if he is the QB1 this year. For a QB to be drafted, you only need one good year of tape provided you have the measurables. Having too much tape out there (especially if a lot of it is not flattering) won't help your cause. Sam was wildly inaccurate as a freshman, a label that stayed with him even though his accuracy improved. 

It really didn't though. His freshman year he took a lot of shots down field. He sucks major donkey dick at those types of throws. He didn't throw as many after that. That's the only reason his "accuracy" went up. 

14 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

It really didn't though. His freshman year he took a lot of shots down field. He sucks major donkey dick at those types of throws. He didn't throw as many after that. That's the only reason his "accuracy" went up. 

He was on some preseason Heisman watch list heading into his senior season. I don't know what happened to him. It maybe injuries, too many coaching turnovers, overall team chemistry, bad WR play, Tom Herman, him being fundamentally limited, or a combination of all. My point wasn't about Sam improving through, it was about a QB needing to have just one very good year to be drafted. 

2 minutes ago, cafe society said:

There are other excellent QBs out there, he was never coming here, and chances are good he never plays a down of college football.  Ergo, zero fucks given.

Nope...Why would he have played most of his junior football season on a sprained knee if he just wanted to go in the draft? He freaking loves football.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elguapo said:

He’s been camping and working with trainers since he was a kid.  He’s ranked the #2 pro style QB because of his arm and accuracy.  He’a still very raw but I actually thought he looked pretty damn accurate in his game film.  Sark has also been recruiting him for a while.

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

He’s been camping and working with trainers since he was a kid.  He’s ranked the #2 pro style QB because of his arm and accuracy.  He’a still very raw but I actually thought he looked pretty damn accurate in his game film.  Sark has also been recruiting him for a while.

He completed 45% of his passes. He is not accurate in games and you can’t tell accuracy from highlight clips. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

24 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He completed 45% of his passes. He is not accurate in games and you can’t tell accuracy from highlight clips. 

He has 61 total pass attempts in games, most of them as a HS sophomore. Granted it’s part of the concern that he has so little actual competitive football experience but I’m not sure how much we can discern about his accuracy from those numbers. 

If his accuracy, footwork, and mechanics are currently looking good at camps and with his trainers that means more at this stage than a handful off passes when he was 15 playing CAHS football. No idea what kind of ball his school plays but I have my doubts they are a Todd Dodge level passing scheme.