Class of 2022 QB Talk

BurntOrangeBlooded15

I've been wondering, is there a Catch-22 situation with Ewers? If you're still holding out hope that he's a possibility the assumption is he wants to see our offense in action because if he flips again he wants to make damn sure it's the last time and he needs to see progress being made. Seems reasonable enough. 
He's also a guy who probably expects to play right away. If Card wins the job and lights it up that's a great data point that Sark will be able to work his same magic at Texas, but will Ewers be hesitant to come in behind a guy who has several more years of eligibility? Conversely If the qbs struggle Ewers would be confidant that he would win the job but unwilling to sign up for the uncertainty of playing in an offense that has yet to truly turn things around. 
TLDR: we need our qbs to play well to convince Ewers we will be a high powered offense, but if our qbs play well he may unwilling to risk being a backup qb for a few years.
Is there zero viable competiton for him at bucknuts? If he's truly the badass everyone thinks he is, he shouldnt be afraid to go anywhere and win the job right away, or redshirt freshman year at worst.

Personally I think he's too far invested in living in beautiful Columbus Ohio for any of this to matter to us.

5 hours ago, futureman said:

just those four, huh?

I never even gave those four a first thought.  Well, maybe Hager.  The only players that come to mind as those i remember feeling TX lost out on were Peterson and Lamb to OU, Oliver to UH and Detmer to BYU.  No one else comes to my mind.   

17 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Edited to note this may just be SI’s interpretation, and they are apparently the new Bleacher Report:

I keep seeing different ways to evaluate the Elite 11, but according to this article, it just wrapped and regarding ONLY camp performance, Cade KlubKid was #1, and Maalik Murphy was #2. Of course, once you add in the other 50% bullshit, the mullet will skyrocket to #1.

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/football/elite-11-2021-final-composite-rankings-cade-klubnik

2. Maalik Murphy (Texas)

Day one ranking: 2

Day two ranking: 11

Day three ranking: 1

The film evaluation for Maalik Murphy as a college prospect may seem shaky, as he lacks production and substantial game experience. But if his performance at the Elite 11 Finals suggested anything, his game is littered with untapped potential.

The most impressive physical specimen on site, Murphy displayed one of the strongest arms on the group and surprisingly solid accuracy to pair over the week, also gelling with his receivers and making well-timed tosses. Touch and anticipation for throwing windows should continue to progress as Murphy develops in Steve Sarkisian's offense at Texas, but the Longhorns have everything to work with when it comes to the Gardena (Calif.) Serra product.

(Ewers 6, Weigman 7)

is that other 50% bullshit the actual playing of games?

18 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Relevant section: 

7. The guy everyone seemed to be most split on was Texas commit Maalik Murphy. He struggled Friday in seven-on-seven, and he knew it. I was around him when he discussed it with one of the Elite 11 coaches, and Murphy handled that exceptionally well. He came across as sincere and accountable, focused on trying to get better. Not making excuses or being obtuse.

Murphy, at 6-5 and 230 pounds, has a huge frame and big arm; if you told me he was 6-5, 245, it wouldn’t surprise me. He’s engaging and fun to be around. The guys I spoke to think he’s very coachable. He was inconsistent this week, but keep in mind, he has started only six high school games, and as one of the other Elite 11 QBs told me the other night, Murphy just turned 17 recently and is one of the youngest quarterbacks at the event. It’ll be fascinating to watch his development.

Murphy plays with real confidence in his ability to make throws into tight windows, and he displayed that several times. That’s something a lot of young quarterbacks shy away from in settings like this one. His attitude indicates he’s going to embrace getting better in the detail work and the finer nuances of the position.

Spoiler

1. The most impressive quarterback was from Texas, but for at least this week, it wasn’t Quinn Ewers, the player who has the rare perfect ranking from 247Sports. Ewers was excellent overall, but the guy who I thought outshined him was Cade Klubnik, a Clemson commit from powerhouse Austin Westlake. The wiry 6-foot-2, 185-pounder, ranked as 247Sports’ No. 6 QB entering the event but likely is headed for a better ranking soon. He was the MVP selected by the Elite 11 coaches and led his team to the seven-on-seven tournament championship. His accuracy sparkled each day. He showed he could throw very well on the move, and he seemed dialed in throughout the event, which separated him from most of the other top guys who flashed at times but weren’t as consistently sharp.

Clemson, which is in the midst of quite a run of gifted quarterbacks, has another terrific one on the way. From talking to coaches about Klubnik and from observing him the past few days, it feels like the bust factor — the chance that he won’t come close to the hype — is going to be very low. I’ll be really, really surprised if he doesn’t have an excellent college career.

2. Conner Weigman, another Texan, is a thicker kid than Klubnik but also displayed good athleticism. Weigman sprayed the ball around early the first night a bit, but I liked how after that he responded by winning the night’s “Hole Shot” throwing competition. That kind of resilience bodes well. Weigman’s strong and should be a good fit for Jimbo Fisher at Texas A&M. Like a bunch of the more highly ranked QBs in this group, the coaches I spoke with seemed all over the place on what they thought of his skill set.
3. Ewers has a lot of ‘wow’ to his game. He throws an incredibly tight ball and makes it look effortless. He can sling it around from all sorts of arm angles. His high school coach, Riley Dodge, a former A&M and UT graduate assistant, raved about his athleticism and said the Ohio State commit could play college basketball if he wanted to go in that direction. Ewers’ seven-on-seven team struggled Saturday and never looked in rhythm, which isn’t shocking considering the skill guys the quarterbacks get paired with can be a mixed bag, and there’s little time to get in rhythm. Ewers already has crafted an amazing prep career at Southlake Carroll. Dealing with the recruiting hype that has been heaped on him won’t be easy. In my conversation with Dodge, he sounded confident that his guy has the right makeup to handle it. I suspect playing for someone like Ryan Day, with his temperament, will help on that front.

4. Devin Brown entered the event ranked No. 22 among the QBs by 247Sports, but he generated a ton of buzz in the first two days of the camp. He’s about 6-3 and can really rip the ball. Here’s what I really liked about him. I thought his “pro day” workout in the Thursday night event was as impressive as any of the quarterbacks, and that included the counselors. He rose to the moment and looked in command with a hot hand, like he was clearing out the racks and draining jumpers in a 3-point contest. If I was a Trojans fan, I’d be excited about him, and Clay Helton’s staff deserves a lot of credit here. Just like with Sam Darnold and Kedon Slovis, the Trojans found and went all in on a (relatively) unheralded gem.

5. Walker Howard seemed a little shorter than I expected, but he has a lot of juice. He’s listed at 6-1 and 195 pounds, and like Brown, he displayed a lot of confidence and command. Howard also looked really athletic. He’s set to go the same place where his father, Jamie, was a standout QB, LSU, and he’ll make a deep quarterbacks room that much better, joining Garrett Nussmeier and Max Johnson in 2022. Walker and Nussmeier — both second-generation QBs — may not have ideal size, but they are very dynamic and fit well in this generation of football.

6. I know Tennessee fans have endured a lot with their program of late, but they have a keeper in QB commit Tayven Jackson, a 6-4, 190-pounder. He had a lot of good moments that I saw. Jackson has a quick release and excellent feet. He’s a terrific all-around athlete and has a lot of presence to him. He’s an outstanding basketball player and golfer, too. I liked how he talked to the coaches and former NFL guys at the event. He seemed to have a lot of natural leadership qualities and charisma. I’d bet on this kid being a really good one for Josh Heupel.

7. The guy everyone seemed to be most split on was Texas commit Maalik Murphy. He struggled Friday in seven-on-seven, and he knew it. I was around him when he discussed it with one of the Elite 11 coaches, and Murphy handled that exceptionally well. He came across as sincere and accountable, focused on trying to get better. Not making excuses or being obtuse.

Murphy, at 6-5 and 230 pounds, has a huge frame and big arm; if you told me he was 6-5, 245, it wouldn’t surprise me. He’s engaging and fun to be around. The guys I spoke to think he’s very coachable. He was inconsistent this week, but keep in mind, he has started only six high school games, and as one of the other Elite 11 QBs told me the other night, Murphy just turned 17 recently and is one of the youngest quarterbacks at the event. It’ll be fascinating to watch his development.

Murphy plays with real confidence in his ability to make throws into tight windows, and he displayed that several times. That’s something a lot of young quarterbacks shy away from in settings like this one. His attitude indicates he’s going to embrace getting better in the detail work and the finer nuances of the position.

8. Coming in, Drew Allar, a Penn State commit, reminded some of the Elite 11 coaches of a young Josh Allen. That’s hefty praise. I’ll go with this: He’s the most physically gifted quarterback James Franklin has landed since he has been in Happy Valley. He was very impressive the first two days of the camp and then like many of the QBs at the event, tailed off some. The Penn State staff has a lot to work with in Allar.

9. Alabama commit Ty Simpson looked like one of the guys you would think has been groomed well to be a college QB. On Friday, there were a few shaky moments for his seven-on-seven team, and he bounced right back to throw touchdowns.

10. I never heard of Duce Robinson, a 2023 tight end from Arizona and son of former Florida State defensive back/wideout Dominic Robinson, a former five-star back in the 2001 class, until this week. But he turned my head a few times by making some amazing catches, including Moss-ing some talented cornerbacks in the tournament title game. It was the most impressive play I saw this week. Remember his name.

11. I ran into Clemson star wide receiver Justyn Ross on Friday night. He said his recovery is going great. Sounds like the Tigers will have their big wideout back and ready to make a lot of big plays this fall. Ross missed the 2020 season after having surgery because of a spinal issue he was born with.

12. Former Michigan QB Devin Gardner worked the event as an Elite 11 coach this week. It’s the first time I’ve been around Gardner since his playing days in Ann Arbor. He is now a colleague, having been signed as a broadcaster by FOX Sports and the Big Ten Network. Everyone around there this week got to see his energy and personality. He’s a private QB coach back in Michigan and was great with the kids. My hunch is he’s going to have a very bright future as a TV guy.
13. I wrote about Liberty quarterback Malik Willis a few months ago and the buzz building about his NFL Draft stock given his rocket arm and his wheels. The thing I didn’t quite grasp about the former Auburn QB was just how muscled he is, especially in his lower body. He’s built like an NFL linebacker. I’m guessing he’s about 6-2, maybe 235 pounds. Is he a little too thick right now as a quarterback? I don’t know. The ball jumped out of his hand like no other quarterback in the stadium this week.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 1:37 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Luck and Stafford are the two best I’ve seen. 

Ewers is right behind those guys. 

i want to say that smu offered stafford as a freshman after watching him throw about 5 balls in jv practice.

4 minutes ago, bizzle said:

i want to say that smu offered stafford as a freshman after watching him throw about 5 balls in jv practice.

Played against him at state 7on7 and there was literally nothing we can do against his passes. They were perfectly on the spot where only his guys could catch it, even on perfect coverage 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Played against him at state 7on7 and there was literally nothing we can do against his passes. They were perfectly on the spot where only his guys could catch it, even on perfect coverage 

you don't run into #1 / #1 arms all that often.

This.....

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cade Klubnik Earns SI All-American's Elite 11 MVP Honors

Clemson Tigers pledge Cade Klubnik was the obvious choice for Sports Illustrated All-American's winner at the 2021 Elite 11 Finals.

MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif. -- Sports Illustrated All-American has named Austin (Texas) Westlake quarterback Cade Klubnik as its undisputed winner of the 2021 Elite 11 Finals.

Klubnik, who is committed to Clemson, was the lone passer to finish in the top three of SI All-American's daily rankings each day in Los Angeles. He took home top honors in the Pro Day circuit and finishing second by the slimmest of margins during the Accuracy Gauntlet, just behind Texas commit Maalik Murphy.

[click for more]
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/college/recruiting/.amp/football/elite-11-2021-cade-klubnik-earns-mvp-honors

On 7/5/2021 at 12:23 PM, RollLeft said:

This.....

SI names Cade Klubnik number 1 ranked QB in country. We'll have to see if the curse strikes. #westlakenation #chapspride   

https://texashsfootball.com/cade-klubnik-of-austin-westlake-named-1-quarterback-in-the-country-by-sports-illustrated/?fbclid=IwAR1BG21RHAWKUPgRLSBNbJxUtxMMgMFwUIttT20uFFHSxQgOrGrpHMSPH8Y

Chaps1.jpg

Edited by TreatyOak

That article is shit: 

Klubnik will surely give D.J. Uiagalelei, the heir apparent to Trevor Lawrence, a run for his money in fall camp next month.”

Klubnik will be in high school next month, and all next year. 

And I don’t care who’s “#1 QB,” but hasn’t Sports Illustrated, especially the web version, become more or less staffed by “contributors”, old Bleacher Report style, rather than full time, veteran sports journalists (who scratched and clawed their way to the top of the business to get there)? I have fallen for some of their clickbait, and much of it seems to be at the high school newspaper level, often ending in, “What do you think?” 

Dr. Z never gave a fuck what I thought.

Anyway, Klubnik may be the top dog, but I don’t respect what SI has to say. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

That article is shit: 

Klubnik will surely give D.J. Uiagalelei, the heir apparent to Trevor Lawrence, a run for his money in fall camp next month.”

Klubnik will be in high school next month, and all next year. 

And I don’t care who’s “#1 QB,” but hasn’t Sports Illustrated, especially the web version, become more or less staffed by “contributors”, old Bleacher Report style, rather than full time, veteran sports journalists (who scratched and clawed their way to the top of the business to get there)? I have fallen for some of their clickbait, and much of it seems to be at the high school newspaper level, often ending in, “What do you think?” 

Dr. Z never gave a fuck what I thought.

Anyway, Klubnik may be the top dog, but I don’t respect what SI has to say. 

Yes, Sports Illustrated is now shit. It's either written by wannabe bloggers, or maybe written by a machine learning algorithm. 

• 2 weeks later...

Max Preps released their latest Top 10 PLAYERS (not QBs) in the Class of 2022 yesterday (Tuesday, July 17th, 2021).

Quinn Ewers is #2 overall (and the highest ranked QB), but...

Cade Klubnik is #4 overall. (second ranked QB).

CADE IS #4 IN THE NATION!!

Is this because of the Elite 11 only? 

Did Texas ever consider him?

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 4.11.12 PM.png

Had someone who is tenured on the Westlake staff tell me at a happy hour that Klubnik is a massive pussy and wouldn’t be surprised if he transfers out of Clemson at some point. Asked him to repeat himself for clarification. 

Edited by Blackcat00
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Blackcat00 said:

Had someone who is tenured on the Westlake staff tell me at a happy hour that Klubnik is a massive pussy and wouldn’t be surprised if he transfers out of Clemson at some point. Asked him to repeat himself for clarification. 

Seriously? Good job getting that Westlake staffer drunk so beans were spilled. Where do I send my about tree fiddy?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

Then he said, “K l u b n I k  i s  a  m a s s i v e  p u s s y  a n d  w o u l d n ‘ t  b e  s u r p r  i s e d . . .”

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

I’ve heard the same thing from one of their program/staff members.  Said the kid was talented but doesn’t have work ethic and has never faced adversity.  

On 7/30/2021 at 1:29 AM, Blackcat00 said:

And to think, we all thought Klubnik was tough when he separated his shoulder vs North Shore then won the state championship game MVP award the next week vs Southlake.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Also, thanks for letting us know that now HS coaches can be tenured. 

Surly-Please.jpg

7 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

And to think, we all thought Klubnik was tough when he separated his shoulder vs North Shore then won the state championship game MVP award the next week vs Southlake.

Yah man. I'm not gunna say Blackcat didn't have that discussion, but I'll also say that I was coached by a few, and have met a few HS coaches who had some idiot assed opinions of what was going on around their teams. Like any other profession, not everyone in it is right about the shit you don't see.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

Also, thanks for letting us know that now HS coaches can be tenured. 

Surly-Please.jpg

Burner account...