WE DID IT - Mike Stoops Fired

Handcruser

giphy.gif

From Football Scoop:

It will be interesting to see if (Mike) Stoops’s time in Tuscaloosa led him to evaluate his own approach. In addition to his failure to adapt to changing Big 12 offenses, Stoops’s in-your-face coaching style was also part of the reason why his defenses struggled at Oklahoma. He talked about that in this exit interview with The Athletic in 2018:

You have alluded to this before, but why do you think you have had such a difficult time connecting with players today?

I think kids nowadays take things more personal, maybe don’t have the ability to take criticism as well as maybe back 15 years ago. It’s coaching; it’s not criticism. But I think they take it personally. The lack of trust is part of that, too. They need to know you’re out for their best interest, always. I think that’s the most important thing that kids have to know.

That’s where some of the disconnect comes. It would never be personal. No coaches want to yell just to yell. They’re coaching to teach and trying to make you understand the point. If you’re not precise in this game, you’re going to get lit up. Some kids think they’re being picked on or that coach doesn’t like me; well, it has nothing to do with that. It’s just about trying to put them in the best possible position for their own success.

You have to be a strong-minded person and you’d better have thick skin. Not everyone’s going to like you, but they’d better respect you and what your knowledge is and what you’re trying to teach.

I’m not out there running for prom king. That’s not what I’m there to do. I’m there to teach and get our players in the best position, and get them to understand why it has to be that way.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

giphy.gif

From Football Scoop:

It will be interesting to see if (Mike) Stoops’s time in Tuscaloosa led him to evaluate his own approach. In addition to his failure to adapt to changing Big 12 offenses, Stoops’s in-your-face coaching style was also part of the reason why his defenses struggled at Oklahoma. He talked about that in this exit interview with The Athletic in 2018:

You have alluded to this before, but why do you think you have had such a difficult time connecting with players today?

I think kids nowadays take things more personal, maybe don’t have the ability to take criticism as well as maybe back 15 years ago. It’s coaching; it’s not criticism. But I think they take it personally. The lack of trust is part of that, too. They need to know you’re out for their best interest, always. I think that’s the most important thing that kids have to know.

That’s where some of the disconnect comes. It would never be personal. No coaches want to yell just to yell. They’re coaching to teach and trying to make you understand the point. If you’re not precise in this game, you’re going to get lit up. Some kids think they’re being picked on or that coach doesn’t like me; well, it has nothing to do with that. It’s just about trying to put them in the best possible position for their own success.

You have to be a strong-minded person and you’d better have thick skin. Not everyone’s going to like you, but they’d better respect you and what your knowledge is and what you’re trying to teach.

I’m not out there running for prom king. That’s not what I’m there to do. I’m there to teach and get our players in the best position, and get them to understand why it has to be that way.

What a colossal prick. 

Yes, we did it, but it's a giant red flag that we even had to do it.  It basically took a fan meltdown to force the higher ups to tell CDC and Sark that Mike Stoops was a terrible idea and a no go.    

When Surly horns is better at making football decisions than you are, that's  . . . not good.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Yes, we did it, but it's a giant red flag that we even had to do it.  It basically took a fan meltdown to force the higher ups to tell CDC and Sark that Mike Stoops was a terrible idea and a no go.    

When Surly horns is better at making football decisions than you are, that's  . . . not good.  

This is known. 

brooklyn 99 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Hook 'Em 2

Holy crap! I went to bed disgusted after reading the first page of the thread and thinking that we hired a fucking Stoops to coach at Texas. Glad to see someone came to their senses. Lol if he really showed up at the airport expecting to fly to Austin to check out his office and look at houses.

Some 247 folks arguing tonight... 😂😂😂

247 post:  "He left to be a Head coach. I don't want a Stoops but to say he is not a good coach is crazy. He had a bunch of great LB's while at OU. Rocky Calmus killed us for a few years. "

Good on Jeff Howe with this response:

"That would be my biggest argument against the hire. That was 20 years ago and the defenses at Oklahoma in his second stint got progressively worse. Look no further than how much better the Oklahoma defense got in 2018 after he was fired, specifically the linebackers.

That's on top of the player revolt that allegedly happened in the locker room at the Cotton Bowl that day. My apprehension about hiring Mike Stoops had nothing to do with his ties to Oklahoma, but rather the toxicity that apparently engulfed his side of the ball when he was last a full-time coach on top of the fact that I don't think that's the best hire that could be made for a hugely important position group in a new scheme with a lot of young guys still developing" 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Report: Mike Stoops had his job offer rescinded by Steve Sarkisian on Friday morning

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/1/22/22245341/mike-stoops-job-offer-rescinded-steve-sarkisian-texas-longhorns 

Good part:  

Even with the information from the Alabama side, it’s still not clear from the Texas side who nixed the Stoops hire. Was it just the public backlash on social media? Or did it come from other places, like the Board of Regents level, after chairman Kevin Eltife served a key role in the hire of Sarkisian? Did it come from big-money donors?

That question remains unanswered.

Whatever the case, Sarkisian now has a deeper understanding of how things work on the Forty Acres. May it be a learning experience, because Texas gonna Texas.

14 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Yes but the BMDs and fans have a proven track record at UT

• Fuck You 4

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Report: Mike Stoops had his job offer rescinded by Steve Sarkisian on Friday morning

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/1/22/22245341/mike-stoops-job-offer-rescinded-steve-sarkisian-texas-longhorns 

Good part:  

Even with the information from the Alabama side, it’s still not clear from the Texas side who nixed the Stoops hire. Was it just the public backlash on social media? Or did it come from other places, like the Board of Regents level, after chairman Kevin Eltife served a key role in the hire of Sarkisian? Did it come from big-money donors?

That question remains unanswered.

Whatever the case, Sarkisian now has a deeper understanding of how things work on the Forty Acres. May it be a learning experience, because Texas gonna Texas.

passing office space GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

We fixed the glitch.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/22/2021 at 9:43 AM, JFKFC said:

Screw you guys, the ebays, these crap sports journalists and the illuminati for putting me through nearly 45 minutes of pure hell. People at the Denny's are already staring at me for having beers with my breakfast. My reputation here is RUINED!

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Jesus Christ what a way for this coaching transition to end.  From maybe Urban is coming, to when the fuck are they gonna shit-can MENSA, to "they hired Sark? Really?" and through the search for assistants, this has been one hell of a fucking ride.  Two things bug me though.  First, how could Sark and CDC be in charge, but still be so removed from the Longhorn experience that they thought Stoops would ever be okay here?  And, secondly,  with the staff being set, and all of the drama played out, what the fuck am I going to waste my time on between now and baseball season?

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Hairy Biped said:

Jesus Christ what a way for this coaching transition to end.  From maybe Urban is coming, to when the fuck are they gonna shit-can MENSA, to "they hired Sark? Really?" and through the search for assistants, this has been one hell of a fucking ride.  Two things bug me though.  First, how could Sark and CDC be in charge, but still be so removed from the Longhorn experience that they thought Stoops would ever be okay here?  And, secondly,  with the staff being set, and all of the drama played out, what the fuck am I going to waste my time on between now and baseball season?

Hookers and blow, man.  Same as ever.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Biped said:

Shaka’s team is good enough where he might not even be able to fuck it up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

While initially I thought this would be a black mark for Sark, just the thought of Mike Stoops finding out he’s been fired at some shithole Alabama airport and his ticket to Austin is no longer good makes this a great initial Sark experience. Bravo. Well played. 

Have had several OU fans text that the story of him being left at the airport is actually worth him not landing the gig.  It's so awesome.  Anyone who knows that POS knows nobody deserves that shit more than this fat fucking retard. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Have had several OU fans text that the story of him being left at the airport is actually worth him not landing the gig.  It's so awesome.  Anyone who knows that POS knows nobody deserves that shit more than this fat fucking retard. 

I would have liked it better if they pushed his fat ass out of the plane mid-flight and he landed on Baker Mayfield.

Two turds, one stone and all that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Feels like the second Saturday in October when you post.  We can’t have you lose that fire.  

Doctors have tried to treat it but the burn continues. 

I had already procured blueprints of our coaching offices and was hatching a plot to glue Mike Stoops to his chair. Glad I don’t have to follow through, but they won’t take back the 5 gallons of Gorilla Glue that I bought. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Doctors have tried to treat it but the burn continues. 

I had already procured blueprints of our coaching offices and was hatching a plot to glue Mike Stoops to his chair. Glad I don’t have to follow through, but they won’t take back the 5 gallons of Gorilla Glue that I bought. 

5 gallons? Any Stoops can swallow more than that. 

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2021 at 2:16 PM, LTtxfan said:

giphy.gif

From Football Scoop:

Lots of words to rationalize acting like a complete prick.  Fuck him.

11 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Burning bridges on both ends is an art. Doing so whilst standing on the bridge is a masterpiece.

• Haha 4

On 1/22/2021 at 4:06 PM, bschoolprof said:

Ding ding ding.  This is not a good thing and I can't really believe everyone is celebrating it.  If it's true the way it went down, which I seriously doubt, that's a huge red flag.  Either Sark doesn't have the confidence to stand behind his own decisions or doesn't have to power to be able to...or he is already making such bad decisions that he needs fans/BMDs/etc to step in and bail him out of them.  Yikes either way.

On 1/22/2021 at 11:21 PM, ClubWhatever said:

“He found out when he went to the airport and Texas had cancelled the ticket they had bought for him”.   Hahhahahaha.   That’s like college career day interview stuff.  Haha.  

Highly unlikely this happened.  Those types of stories are good for clicks and message boards, but there is far too much mutual respect among coaches to have let this happen.  You don't go from ready to hire your old buddy to letting letting things go down this way, unless said buddy did something to piss you off. This, plus the fact that Saban just instantly took Stoops back in his old job, plus the fact that Sark already had another guy pretty much in the bag...it all points to things not going down the way it has been reported.

I'll chose to believe that it was never a done deal.  Stoops was a finalist but was never really hired (granted, fans and BMDs probably helped make sure of that), but the "reporters" jumped the gun and got it wrong.  Much more likely scenario.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2