WE DID IT - Mike Stoops Fired

Handcruser

57 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Ding ding ding.  This is not a good thing and I can't really believe everyone is celebrating it.  If it's true the way it went down, which I seriously doubt, that's a huge red flag.  Either Sark doesn't have the confidence to stand behind his own decisions or doesn't have to power to be able to...or he is already making such bad decisions that he needs fans/BMDs/etc to step in and bail him out of them.  Yikes either way.

Highly unlikely this happened.  Those types of stories are good for clicks and message boards, but there is far too much mutual respect among coaches to have let this happen.  You don't go from ready to hire your old buddy to letting letting things go down this way, unless said buddy did something to piss you off. This, plus the fact that Saban just instantly took Stoops back in his old job, plus the fact that Sark already had another guy pretty much in the bag...it all points to things not going down the way it has been reported.

I'll chose to believe that it was never a done deal.  Stoops was a finalist but was never really hired (granted, fans and BMDs probably helped make sure of that), but the "reporters" jumped the gun and got it wrong.  Much more likely scenario.

This may have been a case of Sark just not understanding the nature of this rivalry and Stoops place in it. I am willing to give a pass based on how he went about his other hires even if it was true. Failing fast is a good trait either way.

Also, what if this was a Jimmy Sexton type attempt at a raise only to realize that you are completely and utterly despised west of the Mississippi. Maybe Saban took him into his office and took his parking pass and cut his salary 20%.

Edited by Vertigo

Just now, Vertigo said:

This may have been a case of Sark just not understanding the nature of this rivalry and Stoops place in it. I am willing to give a pass based on how he went about his other hires even if it was true. Failing fast is a good trait either way.

Yeah I'm thinking/hoping this is the case. And it's not just the rivalry (we're ok with Boulware and Norvell) but the specific behavior of Mike Stoops in that rivalry. Sark probably didn't know that history and has probably only seen Bama Stoops who may be well behaved. While Stoops was a terrible DC, he might be just fine as a LB coach ignoring the personality stuff.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Ding ding ding.  This is not a good thing and I can't really believe everyone is celebrating it.  If it's true the way it went down, which I seriously doubt, that's a huge red flag.  Either Sark doesn't have the confidence to stand behind his own decisions or doesn't have to power to be able to...or he is already making such bad decisions that he needs fans/BMDs/etc to step in and bail him out of them.  Yikes either way.

Highly unlikely this happened.  Those types of stories are good for clicks and message boards, but there is far too much mutual respect among coaches to have let this happen.  You don't go from ready to hire your old buddy to letting letting things go down this way, unless said buddy did something to piss you off. This, plus the fact that Saban just instantly took Stoops back in his old job, plus the fact that Sark already had another guy pretty much in the bag...it all points to things not going down the way it has been reported.

I'll chose to believe that it was never a done deal.  Stoops was a finalist but was never really hired (granted, fans and BMDs probably helped make sure of that), but the "reporters" jumped the gun and got it wrong.  Much more likely scenario.

Yep.  But it’s no fun picturing any of this.  

7 hours ago, Landomatic said:

...Highly unlikely this happened.  Those types of stories are good for clicks and message boards, but there is far too much mutual respect among coaches to have let this happen.  You don't go from ready to hire your old buddy to letting letting things go down this way, unless said buddy did something to piss you off. This, plus the fact that Saban just instantly took Stoops back in his old job, plus the fact that Sark already had another guy pretty much in the bag...it all points to things not going down the way it has been reported.

image.gif.4dd20ae958665b930e7604a0c128582f.gif

Edited by Napoleon

7 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I prefer the story where stoops gets fired at the airport so I’m going with that one.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Blue team or red team, we can all agree that Mike Stoops is a fat, pasty piece of shit who doesn’t belong anywhere around Texas Football.

He’s like an older, fatter Baker Mayfield. Fuck them both. 

Exactly. Lets not let our principles or politics get in the way of hating Mike Stoops. Look at it as a just thing to do that’s good for everyone in the universe.

• Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Blue team or red team, we can all agree that Mike Stoops is a fat, pasty piece of shit who doesn’t belong anywhere around Texas Football.

He’s like an older, fatter Baker Mayfield. Fuck them both. 

Agreed. No matter who or what you are, if you're a Longhorn you know Mike Stoops fucking sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Long-time 360boards/shaggytexas/shaggybevo/surly reader, first time thread visitor.

Can we make the stoops misery complete by destroying midget stoops receiver on the field next season?

I'll hang up and listen.

ill allow it GIF

8 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

Long-time 360boards/shaggytexas/shaggybevo/surly reader, first time thread visitor.

Can we make the stoops misery complete by destroying midget stoops receiver on the field next season?

I'll hang up and listen.

@THUJONE Can we get some paint of daddy stoops and midget stoops? Throwing uncle's drawing in would be a bonus.

42 minutes ago, jinx said:

FAU also hired Coach Meh as Co-OC. Willie Taggart is really impressive in his ability to ruin programs.

That is some truly impressive commitment to fielding a shitty team that hates its coaches. I might have to watch whatever FAU games are televised next season just to see the train wreck. Maybe they can bring in Yancy too? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jinx said:

FAU also hired Coach Meh as Co-OC. Willie Taggart is really impressive in his ability to ruin programs.

I’m going to guess it is getting hard for him to find anyone that is willing to hitch their career to him. He is hiring whoever he can find and will run it into the ground until they fire him. But he ain’t walking away from that paycheck.

Florida Atlantic Owls hiring former Arizona coach, Alabama analyst Mike Stoops as DC

1:33 PM CT   Adam RittenbergESPN Senior Writer

Florida Atlantic is hiring former Arizona coach Mike Stoops as defensive coordinator, the team announced Thursday.

Stoops, who spent the past two seasons as a defensive analyst at Alabama, will replace Jim Leavitt, who left to become defensive coordinator at SMU. Stoops, 59, last held a coordinator post at Oklahoma from 2012 to 2018, his second coordinator stint at OU under his brother, Bob.

"Mike brings tremendous experience to the defensive side of the ball," FAU coach Willie Taggart said in a statement. "His pedigree, two national championships, countless players to the NFL and his wealth of knowledge speaks for itself. This is a home run for us. As a former head coach and defensive coordinator at 'Power 5' programs, he knows the importance of building a defensive staff that can teach and adjust."

Stoops coached Arizona from 2004 to 2011, going 41-50 with three bowl appearances. He first served in a coordinator role at Oklahoma from 1999 to 2003, helping the Sooners to a national title in 2000. Stoops also spent three seasons in a coordinator role at Kansas State.

FAU went 5-4 in Taggart's first season and ranked 10th nationally in points allowed and 24th in total defense.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30795675/florida-atlantic-owls-hiring-former-arizona-head-coach-alabama-analyst-mike-stoops-dc

This will be fun to check back on and see how Mike's FAU defenses do over the next few years...  😋

"Stoops will take over a defense that was statistically one of the best in the country during its lone season under Leavitt. The Owls allowed 17.4 points per game in 2020 — the 10th-best mark in the nation. They also ranked 16th in passing yards allowed (187.7) and 24th (342.2) in total yards allowed per game last season."

FAU Owls hire Mike Stoops as defensive coordinator

By KHOBI PRICE.   SOUTH FLORIDA SUN SENTINEL |     JAN 28, 2021

Mike Stoops has replaced Jim Leavitt as the FAU Owls’ defensive coordinator, Florida Atlantic announced Thursday afternoon.  Leavitt left FAU for the same position on coach Sonny Dyke’s staff at Southern Methodist.

Stoops, the younger brother of former longtime Oklahoma football coach Bob Stoops (1999-2016) and older brother of Kentucky football coach Mark Stoops, has been coaching in college football for 35 years after a brief professional playing career.

For the past two seasons, Mike Stoops was an analyst at Alabama, which beat Ohio State in the College Football Playoff national championship game at Hard Rock Stadium earlier in the month.  He has been on the coaching staff for two national champions — Alabama and Oklahoma (2000), with the Sooners beating Florida State at Miami Gardens in that season’s Orange Bowl, which also served as the BCS national championship game.

“Mike brings tremendous experience to the defensive side of the ball,” FAU coach Willie Taggart said in a statement. “His pedigree, two national championships, countless players to the NFL and his wealth of knowledge speaks for itself. This is a home run for us.”

Stoops was Arizona’s head coach from 2004-11.  He went 41-50 with the Wildcats, leading them to three consecutive bowl games (1-2) from 2008-10 — which at the time matched a school record for most consecutive bowl-game appearances — before being “relieved of his duties” after a 1-5 start to the 2011 season.

Stoops had two stints at Oklahoma — from 1999-2003 and 2012-18. He was a finalist for the 2001 American Football Coaches Association assistant coach of the year award while serving as the Sooners’ associate head coach and defensive coordinator.

He returned to Norman, Okla., in 2012 as the Sooners’ associate head coach and defensive coordinator, a position he held for seven years until he was let go by the program in October 2018.

Stoops, a Youngstown, Ohio native, started his coaching career as a graduate assistant with his alma mater Iowa in 1986 before being a Hawkeyes volunteer coach (linebackers and defensive backs) from 1988-1991, defensive ends coach at Kansas State (1992-95) and the Wildcats defensive coordinator from 1996-98.

He was reportedly expected to join Steve Sarkisian’s staff as Texas as the Longhorns’ linebacker coach, but the hire wasn’t made, and instead Stoops will make his first coaching stop in Florida alongside Taggart in Boca Raton.

“As a former head coach and defensive coordinator at ‘Power 5’ programs, he knows the importance of building a defensive staff that can teach and adjust,” Taggart said. “The strength of our defense is their on-field communication and the band of brother culture. I welcome Mike to the BOB.”

Stoops is the second coordinator to join Taggart’s staff during the offseason.

FAU hired Michael Johnson, the father of Owls quarterback Michael Johnson Jr., to replace Clint Trickett as the team’s co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach heading into the 2021 season.

Stoops will take over a defense that was statistically one of the best in the country during its lone season under Leavitt. The Owls allowed 17.4 points per game in 2020 — the 10th-best mark in the nation. They also ranked 16th in passing yards allowed (187.7) and 24th (342.2) in total yards allowed per game last season.

FAU went 5-4 during its first season under Taggart, starting 2020 5-1 before dropping its final three games of the year.

The Owls will open the 2021 season against the Florida Gators in Gainesville on Sept. 4.

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn Autocorrect