Surly we have some work to do on Mike Stoops

blacklab

• blacklab changed the title to Surly we have some work to do on Mike Stoops

If you want to have even a prayer of convincing someone who matters to reverse this, it needs be on the basis of off-field stuff. Using Stoops' coaching failures as a DC (valid concern that it is) will be brushed aside as "fans think they know how to run a program better than a football coach who does this for a living."

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

This is all anyone should need to know. This hire cannot be real.

Yeah, seems more likely that we're being trolled, imho. One asshole out there is making this claim. I'll wait til it's official before I freak out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/platform/amp/2018/10/10/17961618/oklahoma-sooners-football-mike-stoops-fired-defensive-coordinator-jim-traber-dusty-dvoracek

this one uses stoops own quotes to show how shitty he is.  Cant connect with players these days, big 12 offenses were too stressful, how he coaches wears on the players etc.  this tweet below was after stoops got fired. 

image.jpeg.e81770e9942054120e0ab8df4b1d5da9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby Burton on the Stoops hire:

According to published reports in Alabama, Crimson Tide analyst Mike Stoops is set to join Steve Sarkisian’s staff. While it’s not entirely certain what position he will have, it is ostensibly for the linebacker spot.

One of the first things I ever learned to deal with as a reporter was delivering “unwelcome news” to the public.

The hiring of Stoops to many Longhorn fans is just that. Suffice to say, he is not a well-liked figure in Longhorn lore.

Not only is he the brother of former Sooner coach Bob Stoops, but he was also the defensive coordinator of some of the biggest beatdowns of the Longhorns in the history of the Texas-OU rivalry, and was routinely seen berating players on the sideline to the point that spittle came out of his mouth and the coloring of his face turned a shade of red that is clearly unhealthy.

While I’m not concerned with Stoops’ participation in the shellackings of the Horns or his long-time relationship with the Sooners, I am concerned with his temperament with players and whether or not his last two years spent off the field has mellowed him somewhat.

It’s a tired act to be yelled at, to be demeaned in front of teammates, and possibly on national TV.

At the same time, I have zero doubt that Stoops is a strong position coach, more than capable of understanding what Pete Kwiatkowski wants to do with his defense. For much of the late ‘90s and early 2000s, the Sooners linebackers were the envy of the Big 12.

Every single hire that Sarkisian has made thus far - until that of Stoops - has the persona of being someone who creates positive reinforcement of the players and team. Adding Stoops to the mix changes that.

Time will tell if Stoops has learned a more measured approach. And a measured approach is one I’m trying to take while delivering what is likely unwelcome news this morning.

Edited by USMCHorn

If this hire attempt is serious, It might be useful to combat the idea that Sarkisian might have that Texas fans don't like it only because Stoops coached at Oklahoma. It should be made clear that Texas fans REJOICED when he was brought back to Norman. We were ecstatic that Bob brought him back. Why? Because he sucks.

1. His players have hated him everywhere he's been. Absolutely hated him.
  2. He dominated Greg Davis neanderthal offenses. He never adjusted over two decades to offenses that spread the field and attack downfield. He is a defensive idiot.
  3. He hasn't coached linebackers since 1991. 1991.
  4. Sarkisian has been preaching positive relationships with players and hiring Mike Stoops makes him seem completely inauthentic when he's been selling authenticity. Terrible look. 
Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Please for the love of fucking god be right one god damn time Brian Davis

I think he is this time, and not just hopefully. He is putting in writing that he spoke directly to Sarkisian. Not "a source."

Which also means Sarkisian told him to use his name.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1