Surly we have some work to do on Mike Stoops

blacklab

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TRB says BMDs blocked the move. Great job folks!

This is correct. This was a done deal, the only reason it isn't happening is because someone at Bama leaked it, and the BMD's lost their minds on Hartzell and CDC.

Everyone should remember this. It doesn't bode well on sark's judgement, but in my opinion more of a concern is that it bodes real poorly on CDC. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is correct. This was a done deal, the only reason it isn't happening is because someone at Bama leaked it, and the BMD's lost their minds on Hartzell and CDC.

Everyone should remember this. It doesn't bode well on sark's judgement, but in my opinion more of a concern is that it bodes real poorly on CDC. 

Jokes aside.  It’s beyond terrible he ever considered this.  Charlie Strong thinks it’s stupid.  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

"If they can keep him out of jail or keep him eligible, he’s gonna be pretty good. If they can keep him off the Twitter, he might win three or four Heismans. He’ll have that type of ability.”—Mike Stoops on Johnny Manziel

http://www.orangepower.com/threads/mike-stoops-being-mike-stoops.159607/

I Guess If You Say So GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Maybe I’m just missing something, but can stoops help us win football games? Sark has made some really good hires so far IMO. Right now I’m still in the honeymoon phase where I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt on most things. 

Clearly you're missing a lot, starting with a detailed understanding of the last 11 years of Texas football. That's the stupid attitude that had people apologizing for Charlie Strong right up until he was hired or telling everyone to just calm down and wait and see how Herman's initial staff at UH fares at Texas. It's fucking stupid. Sometimes smart people see what the fuck is  happening. 

13 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Maybe I’m just missing something, but can stoops help us win football games? Sark has made some really good hires so far IMO. Right now I’m still in the honeymoon phase where I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt on most things. 

No he cannot.  Quite the opposite 

Edited by WBT

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Dear 8 pound 6 ounce Baby Kwiatkowski, please teach Coach Sarkisian what good defensive coaching looks like.

Dear 8 pound 6 ounce Gia the Monkey, please teach Coach Sarkisian how to see through an asshole like Mike Stoops's bullshit so that when he preaches good relationships with players and authenticity in the future that we can believe he knows how to implement what he says he believes in.

Amen.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, miguelito said:

Question 1 for potential hires:

Are you related to Bob Stoops?

If no, proceed to question 2.  If yes, fuck off.

Oh it's not even that. I'd have zero problem with Mark Stoops on staff, or even as a DC if he weren't employed at Kentucky.

It's mike stoops, SPECIFICALLY. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Viper said:

no he cannot

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Clearly you're missing a lot, starting with a detailed understanding of the last 11 years of Texas football. That's the stupid attitude that had people apologizing for Charlie Strong right up until he was hired or telling everyone to just calm down and wait and see how Herman's initial staff at UH fares at Texas. It's fucking stupid. Sometimes smart people see what the fuck is  happening. 

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

No he cannot.  Quite the opposite 

Fair enough. Literally the only thing I care about is can he help us win games. If he can’t, and there’s a better option, than let’s hire that person. I’ll admit to only skimming through this thread so I haven’t read the articles (hand up, that’s probably what I was missing), but I’m just sick of taking the moral high ground if it means it doesn’t give us the absolute best chance to win games.

Just now, youdunnf'dup said:

Fair enough. Literally the only thing I care about is can he help us win games. If he can’t, and there’s a better option, than let’s hire that person. I’ll admit to only skimming through this thread so I haven’t read the articles (hand up, that’s probably what I was missing), but I’m just sick of taking the moral high ground if it means it doesn’t give us the absolute best chance to win games.

This has nothing to do with a moral high ground. Although, I do admit that my moral high ground does still exist when it comes to rape enablers and racists. Sometimes you don't want a piece of shit around your program. You especially don't want pieces of shit around your program when they hurt your program actively. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Everyone should remember this. It doesn't bode well on sark's judgement, but in my opinion more of a concern is that it bodes real poorly on CDC

There's my Surly.

Sark hires a tremendous staff, but let's recall the guy he didn't hire for the purposes of saying "I always knew that guy was shit" at the first opportunity down the road.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

There's my Surly.

Sark hires a tremendous staff, but let's recall the guy he didn't hire for the purposes of saying "I always knew that guy was shit" at the first opportunity down the road.

You're a smart guy, but this is an intellectually lazy post as it can get. For starters, lets observe that my main focus of the problem here is Del Conte, not Sark. Sark is going to have bad ideas and make bad calls sometimes. He's a human, and a flawed one that that. That being said, the man we pay millions of dollars to who is supposed to guide those missteps from NOT happening waffled here, repeatedly. And Donors had to pull out a nuclear bomb to prevent this from happening. Do you think that portends well to anyone's judgement? Because it wasn't a one off thing. Stoops was floated multiple times as the hire, and shot down repeatedly. So what did they do? They put together a really good staff and tried to ram Stoops onto the staff yet again. That's not just bad judgement, that's a willful poor decision that eliminates good will. 

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If Sark said “I’m hiring Art Briles and I will keep his bullshitshit in check, because I’m hiring the best possible staff I can put together” I would be more ok than him trying to hire Mike Stoops.  That’s just fucking disturbing.  

And to think he let a guy go who is still under contract, who showed promise as a coach and was starting to show some recruiting chops?   Only to try and bring in a complete asshole like Mike?  We are trying to find our way out of the Sahara and they guy leading us has a broken fucking compass. 

46 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Question 1 for potential hires:

Are you related to Bob Stoops?

If no, proceed to question 2.  If yes, fuck off.

44 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh it's not even that. I'd have zero problem with Mark Stoops on staff, or even as a DC if he weren't employed at Kentucky.

It's mike stoops, SPECIFICALLY. 

Exactly!  It's obvious that Bob and Mark have all the talent in the family and Mike is the one who sits drooling, hidden in his room when company comes over.

42 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You're a smart guy, but this is an intellectually lazy post as it can get. For starters, lets observe that my main focus of the problem here is Del Conte, not Sark. Sark is going to have bad ideas and make bad calls sometimes. He's a human, and a flawed one that that. That being said, the man we pay millions of dollars to who is supposed to guide those missteps from NOT happening waffled here, repeatedly. And Donors had to pull out a nuclear bomb to prevent this from happening. Do you think that portends well to anyone's judgement? Because it wasn't a one off thing. Stoops was floated multiple times as the hire, and shot down repeatedly. So what did they do? They put together a really good staff and tried to ram Stoops onto the staff yet again. That's not just bad judgement, that's a willful poor decision that eliminates good will. 

I really am starting to think the CDC hire = the Tom Herman hire in a lot of ways.  All the "can't miss,"  "the Guy," and "we'll have to beat him with our wallet and compete with other schools to get him here" stuff when he was at TCU mirrors Herman's rep when we fought LSU for his services.

Seems like that stuff translates to "in over his head when the spotlight is on every move you make."

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Why is who he votes for a bigger factor in his employment than how shitty of a football coach he is? Conservatives now blackballed from sports jobs?

I am definitely happy we dodged that bullet though. 

It shouldn't be, but the politically aware players don't see it that way. Deserved or not, being a MAGA loyalist is a barrier to connecting with many minority/urban players and recruits. Perception is reality and all that jazz. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I really am starting to think the CDC hire = the Tom Herman hire in a lot of ways.  All the "can't miss,"  "the Guy," and "we'll have to beat him with our wallet and compete with other schools to get him here" stuff when he was at TCU mirrors Herman's rep when we fought LSU for his services.

Seems like that stuff translates to "in over his head when the spotlight is on every move you make."

Yeah, I can't say I've been impressed. Talking with various buddies, he can raise money, but actually running a big time program seems like he doesn't get it. I was great at TCU, but I wonder how much of his life was easier and no one cared because he had a stable coach at FB and made a great hire at baseball. Actually digging us out of a hole at Texas and running the day to day operation he seems lost at times. But that's just my opinion. I am really worried that this is the guy who's going to be in charge of us during the next round of realignment. We need to get good at fucking football again and FAST so that will be difficult to fuck up. 

11 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Seemed like it was the biggest bullet in Blacklab’s gun to many earlier in the thread. 

Well I disagree with him that would have made much difference.  Probably at least half of the money guys that would have allegedly torpedoed this are conservative.  Being a shitty person and coach on the other hand, was apparently enough to get the job done.

Gundy seemed to survive t-shirt-gate just fine.

1 hour ago, Quasimofo said:

You can shut right the hell up! emoji1.png

Listen some things are bigger than Texas-OU (look I put the right team first!)...

Mike Stoops is such an abortion the fact he was even considered is a giant fucking red flag.  If I’m CDC I give Sark a tox screen immediately.  Mike God Damn Stoops might be the absolute worst hire you can make.  And I’m annoyed as all hell you bastards immediately put it to rest.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

There's my Surly.

Attempted murder is still a pretty serious deal, even though the perpetrator didn't get the desired outcome. 

11 minutes ago, quigley said:

It's about narrative.

Mike Stoops has earned has his reputation as a White person in a position of power demeaning mostly minority people.

Trump has earned has his reputation as a White person in a position of power of demeaning minority people, prior to his time as president (housing discrimination 1970s, Central Park Five, birther-ism, eg) and as president (Mexican = rapist, Muslim ban, "law & order," "fine people onboth sides", eg). There are more examples.

It's easy to make a link, and Stoops wearing the hat shows that he hasn't learned the lesson. Even if he supports Trump only for the tax cuts, displaying his political choices is bad for his future in coaching because it reinforces his image as someone who is OK demeaning minority people.

Take this bullshit to the cloak room.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom
  • Hook 'Em 3