2021 Sports car and other racing

elfenix

On 1/2/2021 at 1:29 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:
2023 Le Mans might the vacation my wife needs.  I was looking this morning at 24 Hr of Daytona and Sebring tickets.  We talked about it and decided against it simply because there is still too much uncertainty.  Definitely getting revved up for some motorsport.

1000 Miles of Sebring has been cancelled in favor of Portimão opener

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/1000-miles-of-sebring-canceled-portimao-to-stage-2021-opener/

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

also, while we were away, toyota's GR010 took a bow:

01-1440x960.jpg

longer, wider, heavier, and down 330 hp from the TS050, but @ChiTownDoc might be able to buy one of these and keep it in germany for vacation driving.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/01/toyota-wants-to-win-le-mans-with-its-new-gr010-hybrid-prototype/

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

12 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I just had to go check out the news on the Sebring track website.  Their article is also dated 1/22.

Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring On Schedule for 2021   – Sebring Raceway

1000 miles of sebring (WEC) and 12 hours of sebring (IMSA) are two different races that are scheduled for the same track weekend in what should be maybe the second best weekend for sportscar racing each year, but 1000 miles has only been run once iirc (thanks covid)

• Hook 'Em 1

Probably not news to anyone here, but NBCSN is going to be shut down by the end of the year. 

I have always thought their coverage sucked, but it's a little troubling since they have been a pretty reliable source for motorsports, even if they seemed to prefer showing commercials instead of on-track action. 

5 hours ago, elfenix said:

1000 miles of sebring (WEC) and 12 hours of sebring (IMSA) are two different races that are scheduled for the same track weekend in what should be maybe the second best weekend for sportscar racing each year, but 1000 miles has only been run once iirc (thanks covid)

It's up there, for sure. Memorial Day weekend is usually pretty awesome. This coming weekend would normally be a great one, too, with the Daytona 24 & Bathurst 12H ... but no Bathurst this year. Sadly. Got damn amazing track.

1 hour ago, Bill Brasky said:

World of Outlaws are coming to Cotton Bowl Speedway in Giddings for a weekend show next month.   I cannot recommend this enough if you have never seen 410 sprint cars on dirt before 

Seconded. Take eye protection in case the wind is out of the south.

Edited by wood

• elfenix changed the title to 2021 Sports car and other racing

Yes, I know, a few years early but, I still find this pretty interesting.

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/154741/red-bull-and-oreca-to-build-le-mans-hydrogen-car

Red Bull Advanced Technologies will partner with French constructor ORECA to produce the chassis for the new hydrogen class set for introduction at the Le Mans 24 Hours in 2024.

The sister company of the Red Bull Racing Formula 1 team, which is also co-developing the Aston Martin Valkyrie road car, joined forces with ORECA to make a successful bid to provide the one-make chassis for the new category of prototypes powered by hydrogen fuel cells.

The first task for the British and French companies is to "undertake and provide a detailed feasibility study for the vehicle concept", according to a statement from Le Mans organiser the Automobile Club de l'Ouest.

RBAT CEO Christian Horner said: "I am delighted that Red Bull Advanced Technologies has been chosen by the ACO along with our partner ORECA to develop the concept of a hydrogen-powered endurance racing car for Le Mans.

"RBAT is well qualified to take on the challenge set by the ACO having access to many of the tools used to design and develop the Red Bull Racing F1 car, along with significant experience on other cutting-edge vehicle programmes.

"The hydrogen class at Le Mans offers an exciting glimpse into the future of sustainable motorsport and promises both to advance the use of hydrogen in transportation, and will also deliver exciting racing."

Edited by PittsburghTiger

On 1/25/2021 at 7:04 PM, Bill Brasky said:

World of Outlaws are coming to Cotton Bowl Speedway in Giddings for a weekend show next month.   I cannot recommend this enough if you have never seen 410 sprint cars on dirt before 

One of their favorite tracks up here is part of the Month of Money. I've been to a ton of their races up this way. I have some friends who beat them at tracks around here, and into Ohio and out east Pennsylvania. It's a great show.

As is the WoO Late Models.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:40 PM, wood said:

I take swimming goggles to a few tracks up here, especially at Sharon Speedway over in Ohio. It's basically a dust storm there. Ryan Blaney's dad, Dave, won two WoO Sprint Car titles. Their family is part owners of Sharon Speedway. Ryan's uncle, Dale, was a hoops star for WVU and has had a great career in a Sprint Car.

On 1/25/2021 at 7:04 PM, Bill Brasky said:

One of their favorite tracks up here, Lernerville Speedway, is part of the Month of Money. I've been to a ton of their races up this way. I have some friends who beat them at tracks around here, and into Ohio and out east Pennsylvania. It's a great show.

As is the WoO Late Models.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:40 PM, wood said:

I take swimming goggles to a few tracks up here, especially at Sharon Speedway over in Ohio. It's basically a dust storm there. Ryan Blaney's dad, Dave, won two WoO Sprint Car titles. Their family is part of the ownership group of Sharon Speedway. Ryan's uncle, Dale, was a hoops star for WVU and has had a great career in a Sprint Car.

Edited by PittsburghTiger
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I suppose I may come to regret this sentiment eventually (it could always be worse, I suppose), but I sure won't miss NBC's shitawful motorsports "coverage" when NBCSN dies. 

NBC sports 'coverage' of all kinds is just brutal. They can all eabod. F1 leaving NBC was one of the best things ever...

Edited by wood

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

It is amazing how some cars look like they are standing still when getting passed.

Yeah in person, watching the prototypes pass the sportscars at insane speeds and in what seem like impossible places and on impossible lines is one of the best things about attending endurance races.

12 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah in person, watching the prototypes pass the sportscars at insane speeds and in what seem like impossible places and on impossible lines is one of the best things about attending endurance races.

The link I posted yesterday, to the in-car cameras, really highlights just what you said. 

Here's my best effort at the current standings, at least as of a few minutes ago. 

Car numbers circled in black Sharpie are on the lead lap for their class. 

-## in black Sharpie are the number of laps down relative to class leader. Some of these cars may be out or in the garage - also indicated with an X. NBC does a terrible job of updating us on the entire field, and the IMSA timing and scoring is also a beating to navigate, at least from a phone. 

Disregard the names circled in faint blue ink - those are the names of drivers my semi-literate five-year-old may know, so I flagged them just to help him follow along.....and also representing a failed effort to get him to stop asking me questions nonstop. 

20210131_115842.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...