Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

22 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Take the clip below.  

15-Texas-vs-Arkansas-Highlights-College-Football-Week-2-2021-College-Football-Highlights

We're in our standard defense with only 6 DL/LB and a 2 deep shell.  We're asking the following guys to hold the edge to the top of the screen: Bush  (230 lbs - former walkon), who gets double teamed initially ; Brockermyer (220 lbs, former walkon); Thompson (DB, 188 lbs);  These guys are going up against massive OL and TEs.  Even if Thompson has better gap integrity, this play probably still goes for at least 8-9 yards just by alignment and personnel.  You really expect that kind of front to hold up against a power rushing perimeter attack? Why not bring down a safety and sub out a DB for more of a run stopper? I realize our personnel are limited, but you gotta do what you can as a coach to help them out. 

That's not our standard defense.  We are in a Cover 3 Tite this play.

Bush is in a 4i and should realistically make the play here.  He gets reached by the guard somehow and is just too late getting off the block.

Thompson plays it well but can't miss the gimme tackle. 

Schooler needs to spin down quicker.  He looks really casual getting to his mark.  He had a bad game overall.

Brockermeyer gets reached and that's uncharacteristic for him.  He's also clearly being held, but it a hard call for the ref when there's zero separation and he never gets off the block.

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

Bush is in a 4i and should realistically make the play here.

This is a huge problem for the play.  Bush can't hold up at 4i even for one down, and I have no idea why he's getting so much playing time. He's horrible in the run game and hasn't shown much in pass rush. Every once in a while he gets a speed rush, but he usually just runs himself out of the play. Guys like Thornton and Ovie should absolutely be getting his snaps. I know we're thin at LB, but we've been giving Ovie a ton of snaps at Sam, even though he's not an off ball linebacker and has made a ton of mistakes when they ask him to do stuff besides hold the edge or rush the passer. 

Agreed, see above, he wasn't good. BE was regularly the weak link up front.  They took Bush out sometime after that play when Ark got into the RZ, and Jacoby gave up a TD.  Realistically, I would want Alfred Collins there for run-oriented teams.  I don't know what his issue might be, but perhaps the bigger body might not jibe with how PK wants to handle passing downs.

PK wants his best pass rusher at Sam/Strong End.  It's hardly an off-ball position in this defense.  The best pass rusher might be Ovie, but he's not very good (or doesn't even attempt) to take on blocks. 

I don't have an opinion on Thornton, which may very well mean he's playing well.

Ford wasn't very good on his snaps either, but I like our starters at LB.  I wish Gbenda was playing well enough to justify more snaps, but he looks like a backup.

Anthony Cook didn't make me cringe at nickel this week, but Jerrin seemed to take some snaps away and didn't disappoint.

Sark made a good point in his presser that the defense actually played well up until that Ark long ball after our TD. Then they seemed to lose hope.

At that point in the 3rd quarter the score was 16-7, but 3 points came from Dicker's drop (so actually a good job by the D), and our TD came off the defense forcing a turnover. So basically Ark's offense 13, UT defense 7. That's pretty good especially considering how many drives Ark got thanks to our offense. The real problem at that point was UT offense 0, Ark defense/ST 3. 

After that, the wheels definitely fell off whether fatigue or mindset. Sark seems to think mindset.

On 9/12/2021 at 10:55 AM, hookem48 said:

we missed the tackle at the LOS, no reason for that play to work

On 9/12/2021 at 11:14 AM, Had Enough said:

Yeah this one wasn’t a scheme issue. Some dudes got beat. Safety missed the tackle in part because it got upfield a bit too much.

These 2 posts are absolutely spot on. I'm starting to think that a lot of you guys don't know jack shit about football and just look at stat lines and jump to fucking idiotic conclusions. 

This game wasn't fucked up due to scheme and the defense played really well for most of the game until they were just burned out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Watching the SkyCast, Arkansas's 3rd drive. Schooler was abused in the run game. Had 2 chances to make a play (which would have resulted in a punt or a TOD) and was just not athletic enough to do it. Either Thompson or Adimora need to get all the PT opposite Foster. Schooler should be the 4th S and STs guy.

Schooler was also a liability on the 4th drive for Arkansas. So far, almost every explosive play Akransas had, Schooler allowed it.

Edited by HtownHorn

On 9/13/2021 at 9:21 PM, immamac said:

These 2 posts are absolutely spot on. I'm starting to think that a lot of you guys don't know jack shit about football and just look at stat lines and jump to fucking idiotic conclusions. 

This game wasn't fucked up due to scheme and the defense played really well for most of the game until they were just burned out. 

Completely disagree.  There is a reason that stopping the run is a coaching cliche.  Why would any offense throw the ball if the D can't stop the run?  Why take the risk of throwing (zero yardage plays or even possible interceptions) if you can line up and run it down the defense's throat?  I thought playing soft / keeping it in front of you was a horrible strategy with an inaccurate passer.  Makes more sense to me to pack the box to stuff the run, and invite that guy to pass.  Hope I'm wrong, but I'm concerned about our defensive game planning after the Ark debacle.   (Was already concerned about the O-line).  

Hope my opinion is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Completely disagree.  There is a reason that stopping the run is a coaching cliche.  Why would any offense throw the ball if the D can't stop the run?  Why take the risk of throwing (zero yardage plays or even possible interceptions) if you can line up and run it down the defense's throat?  I thought playing soft / keeping it in front of you was a horrible strategy with an inaccurate passer.  Makes more sense to me to pack the box to stuff the run, and invite that guy to pass.  Hope I'm wrong, but I'm concerned about our defensive game planning after the Ark debacle.   (Was already concerned about the O-line).  

Hope my opinion is wrong.

I agree.

I would’ve rather seen us dare their QB to throw the ball and bet on our secondary athletes to hold their own. A light box against a beefy line and a trio of big body rushers is a recipe for an ass kicking.

That's not our standard defense.  We are in a Cover 3 Tite this play.
Bush is in a 4i and should realistically make the play here.  He gets reached by the guard somehow and is just too late getting off the block.
Thompson plays it well but can't miss the gimme tackle. 
Schooler needs to spin down quicker.  He looks really casual getting to his mark.  He had a bad game overall.
Brockermeyer gets reached and that's uncharacteristic for him.  He's also clearly being held, but it a hard call for the ref when there's zero separation and he never gets off the block.

Bush was late off the ball and got reached by the guard because he is not good at the position he’s being played at. That’s not a gimmie tackle for Thompson at all given that he’s trying to come off a block from a OL, and it’s asking way too much of a nickel/safety to consider it as such. The physics simply don’t line up. If he’d even slowed the back significantly that would’ve been a huge contribution from him.

This is a great example of a play where people will bitch about effort and toughness because they have no idea what’s going on, but in reality the defense was just asked to do something ridiculous given who lined up at key positions and what they were tasked to do.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, JBJ said:

What world are you living in where coaches can't match a safety to TE and should expect a 4i to be reached by a guard?

In a vacuum I agree with you, but what world are you living in where you don't expect Jett Bush to soundly handled by a combo block?

His is the primary failure on the play. In that situation, the 4i has to at least hold up the G/T from coming off the double team enough for Brockermeyer to flow over. Instead he is late to come off the ball and gets predictably rocked, which allows the tackle to move instantly to the second level, creating a huge hole in the C gap. Putting Bush in that position is a coaching failure. It's obvious he is not equipped to handle a double team on the interior. I know the pickins' are slim when it comes to edge rushers so I see why you may want to give him some run as a wide end in passing situations, but that clip of Jett Bush is 100 percent Todd Orlando shit. It's compounded by Brockermeyer's deficiencies - he is fine when kept clean but he's not doing shit if an OL gets his hands on him. Putting him behind Jett Bush, who you know is pretty likely to let that happen with ease, is a recipe for runs like this.

Thompson's job on that play is not to make a stop in the C gap, you can tell that much by the way he takes an outside angle before the RB cuts up. His job is to set the edge and force the run to stay inside, and he does a pretty good job of that. I don't think his assignment is an issue - although yeah it'd be nice to have a bigger body for that job - more that I take issue with calling that a gimmie tackle for him. He's trying to change direction and shed the block of a TE that has 75 plus pounds on him to make the tackle on a RB cutting into a gap left wide open by the failure described above. A tackle would've been superhuman, even slowing it down a bit the way he did should have been enough for a flowing DL or LB to clean it up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Needs a lot of work, but the kids are learning. It's a process. But yeah, it's gonna get worrisome if we're still doing this by ou. Good news is ou looks beatable, and who better to beat their asses than Casey?

They can’t tackle for shit either. Feed our backs, let Casey air it out, and hopefully PK has a good game plan. Curios to see what PK has in mind and what adjustments he’ll make. And with the way Riley’s teams always find a way to the end zone, I’m counting a field goal as a stop. And god dammit this is Casey’s game. He’s gonna shove it ou’s ass Colorado style with Bijan rushing for 150 and 50 yards receiving with 3 total touchdowns. Then go over the top with a wide ass open Worthy. Oh and some rpo’s would be amazing with Whittington in the slot  

Limited pass rush.  Still not physical enough at the line of scrimmage.  Also seem undersized at LB.

I expect Tech to try to run the ball early to set up their passing attack.  Haven't been really tested yet as far as passing defense on the back end.

Gotta believe PK is gonna have to dial up some blitzes against Tech to help the pass rush -- need to generate some turnovers please. 🙏

9 hours ago, victory88 said:

I was high on the PK bandwagon.  Then Arky happened and that was one of the worst game plans from a DC I’ve seen at Texas.   Soooo…. I’m going to see how he does against teams that aren’t sunbelt teams before I give him any more praise. 

It gave me BYU 2013 flashbacks thats for sure.

On 9/19/2021 at 12:08 AM, HtownHorn said:

I didn't see Jett Bush getting pancaked so apparently he learned something.

Ovie and Thornton started with Jacoby Jones getting plenty of work as well.

Our front progression was also different than Arkansas, probably because we could make more use of substitutions.

On 9/19/2021 at 8:43 AM, pacman said:

How many starting defenders think a shoulder charge into the runner is tackling?

Thompson

Overshown

Foster

I have no complaints with Overshown's tackling.  B.J. needs to get it together. My biggest complaint with him is selling out for for the strip without securing a tackle.  He gave up two TDs in the first two games because he went all out for the strip without leaving his feet for a tackle.  Shoulder charging is not necessarily bad when using the sideline to your advantage.  Earl Thomas made plenty of those.

Really disappointed by DL play.  LB's are a weakness that teams will attempt to exploit at times like many on SURLY discussed before the season.  Jerrin seeing more playing time for Schooler may continue to happen.

Thx for IT stuff @satyanash

Scipio Tex -- 2021 Texas-Rice Postmortem: Defense

A shutout is always welcome. Rice playing their 3rd string QB for most of the game may have contributed slightly to that fact. Not to mention an Owl offense that wanted to run the ball with power sets trailing 44-0 at halftime. That will throw a wrench into any run-based ball control offensive game plan. While the Owls exhibited absolutely zero ability to throw the ball down the field (19-24-128 yards), they did actually run it effectively (the top 3 Owl runners were 19-117 at 6.2 ypc with two 23+ yards runs), only abandoning the running game due to game script.

Texas wasn't light in the box either. That's moderately concerning and I'll talk about why below at the positional level. Overall, I thought Texas played pretty hard. Getting tons of reps for the entire roster is always a positive. It was interesting to see some of the new faces that the coaches brought in early (Barryn Sorrell) in order to get a sense of how they'd perform in game action. 

Defense

DL

Moro Ojomo played good ball. Great effort. Particularly against the run. I thought this was Sweat's best game this year so far. More active, lower pads, better hand placement. Injured the 2nd Rice QB with a hard tackle. Jacoby Jones had a nice tackle for loss and mixed it up in the running game. Ovie had a sack on a T/E stunt when the QB flushed into his hands and got a tipped ball later, and he was better against the run after a F level performance against Arkansas. Ovie wasn't in favor of the Cold War. Hates containment strategies. Barryn Sorrell looks the part and I'd like to know more. Alfred Collins got more run. We'll see on Alfred. Byron Murphy had a nice sack in the late 3rd quarter when he walked back a Rice OL right into the QB. Textbook by #90.

I'll just say it: Keondre Coburn has not been a useful player inside. I don't like watching him, but it's hard not to see the guy standing straight up hand fighting and getting driven off of the ball or stalemating with an OL and watching. I don't know what happened but his pad level is terrible, he has no technique, and he's much weaker. I would limit him to 15 snaps a game and play a lot more Sweat-Ojomo pairings. Vernon Broughton is still too high and doesn't bring his feet.

LB

Rice attacked our linebacker's desire to drift and vacate with the little pitch power wrinkle that screams outside toss but is actually designed as an inside power run. That's good coaching identification by Rice and it led to multiple big gains. This was their longest:

The two interior DTs get blocked. Luke is coming on a run stunt. Overshown blocks himself by drifting and never reads his blocking keys. BJ drifts to a bad spot, loses depth and sight of the ball, and doesn't really see what's happening. I don't know what Jamison is doing. Dude's backpedaling at a power run. This play really messed with our keys and I'm curious as to why. We'll see multiple forms of it again.

DB

Rice had three completions >10 yards and averaged 6.7 yards per completion. Not a lot to evaluate here in the passing game. Jerrin Thompson forced a fumble putting his shoulder pad right on the ball and Josh Thompson was there with a hustle fumble recovery. Up 37-0, Josh was selling out like it was a 0-0. I appreciate that. Anthony Cook is good.

Final

I'm not trying to overplay the run shakiness, but this defense has a ways to go in its fundamentals and needs to look at rewarding the most productive DL with more snaps, even if it means shortening up the rotation. I'm very curious to see this secondary tested against Tyler Shough and a capable Tech receiver corps.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Going to give up 500 yards of offense.  I get it, probably been on coast/bend-dont-break mode since mid 2nd, but wish the numbers were better.

Texas best chance is throw numbers at the qb on the rush, and gamble with corners in isolation.  Give the qb time, and it's murder downfield.  

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?