Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

16 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I don’t think he (or Sark) has that kind of time. The plan needs to be: be serviceable with what you inherent, recruit to be elite.

I don’t really know what the answer is. But I’m afraid this shitshow on defense will get Sark fired. And I really like his offense.

If he recruits hard and portals even harder, he can show enough improvement to stay. That should be enough to show an improving trend over what we’ve seen this season. I’m more concerned about his schematic approach to stopping the run. I’m no DC, so we’ll see what he does with real players.

Just now, Sawbonz said:

Is it unreasonable to expect him to have those inherited guys in the top 75 in D1?

This is the key issue. We do not have elite defensive talent. But most people aren't asking for an elite defense. A competent defense would be nice (and we beat a top 5 Oklahoma and seriously jump start the program if we play competent defense today).

Our defensive talent is not great but it is far better than the production on the field so far this year. 

• Hook 'Em 7

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Our coaching exacerbates this problem.  Jett Bush doesn't really have to play at all, and especially not at 4i and other positions that have him getting mauled by guys who outweigh him by 90 pounds.  We even moved him inside to 3 technique on some passing downs today.   We also don't need to substitute so much that our 3rd string plays meaningful snaps on multiple possessions.

You could make a decent (albeit not great, but also not giving up 350 yards rushing bad, either) front out of something like this:

SDE - Collins

DT - Ojomo/Murphy

Nose - Sweat

WDE - Sorrell/Ovie/Thornton

WLB - Overshown

MLB - Ford/Gbenda

It still wouldn't have difference makers, but at least we wouldn't be playing guys who don't even belong.   And put more guys in the box for the love of everything holy.  We play with 5 in the box sometimes on downs that aren't even obvious passing downs and while the offense has TEs on the field and we're getting gashed on the ground.  Taking away the deep ball isn't happening anyway with our pass coverage, so we could at least commit appropriate numbers to stop the run and try to generate a pass rush from the line of scrimmage without Orlando DB blitzes.  

I’m with you on the deep ball statement. I’d rather sell out to stop the run and dare everyone to throw. If a freshman backup lights you up through the air, then you tip your cap and move on. Getting run on is completely deflating and demoralizing for the entire team. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Our coaching exacerbates this problem.  Jett Bush doesn't really have to play at all, and especially not at 4i and other positions that have him getting mauled by guys who outweigh him by 90 pounds.  We even moved him inside to 3 technique on some passing downs today.   We also don't need to substitute so much that our 3rd string plays meaningful snaps on multiple possessions.

You could make a decent (albeit not great, but also not giving up 350 yards rushing bad, either) front out of something like this:

SDE - Collins

DT - Ojomo/Murphy

Nose - Sweat

WLB - Overshown

MLB - Ford/Gbenda

It still wouldn't have difference makers, but at least we wouldn't be playing guys who don't even belong.   And put more guys in the box for the love of everything holy.  We play with 5 in the box sometimes on downs that aren't even obvious passing downs and while the offense has TEs on the field and we're getting gashed on the ground.  Taking away the deep ball isn't happening anyway with our pass coverage, so we could at least commit appropriate numbers to stop the run and try to generate a pass rush from the line of scrimmage without Orlando DB blitzes.  

Yeah I wish I could ask PK why he doesn’t run with a heavier 4 man front in some situations, and why he insists on putting Bush out there. I truly don’t understand it. It’s too easy in an offense to run the ball and to get leverage at the point of attack 

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

SDE - Collins

DT - Ojomo/Murphy

Nose - Sweat

WLB - Overshown

MLB - Ford/Gbenda

I was watching the game and thinking PK needs to adjust. He just doesn’t have the players to run his system at the moment. Quite frankly, he doesn’t have a single unit he can rely on. Stopping the run has been a major issue. I was thinking Pk needs to go a little Elko.. Run a big front 4 and at least attempt to stop the run. It’s isn’t perfect, but you can’t play defense if you can’t stop the run. I would not mind seeing 

Jones, Ojomo, Sweat, and Collins on the LOS. It’s 3 DTs and Jones, so the pass rush won’t be great, but it should at least help the run. You have to try to take something away from the offense 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

It’s amazing to think we knew how vulnerable the defense was against Arkansas and we doubled down and didn’t change a thing against ou. We are gonna have some tough games in conference with a defense that can’t stop the run and refuses to even try

• Hook 'Em 1

Real question here, as I'm baffled by what's happening on defense and trying to understand possible reasons.

When sark was hired, everyone noted it was fairly unusual that a bunch of defensive coaches were hired before the DC.

Do we have defensive coaching staff that wasn't really put together in a complimentary way? I remember this being a big issue with Diaz and Akina...Akina was a great coach but not at all for Diaz scheme.

Maybe our issues are more simple, don't have great talent, players aren't executing, scheme isn't great regardless of position coaching, but on paper this should be a good defensive staff. How are we diaz-level bad?

6 minutes ago, Xian said:

We should have kept Chris Ash…

Our defense seemed to improve a lot against the run last year, as the season went on. Ash doesn’t strike me as Kirby Smart or Barry Odom level genius, but at least he demonstrated the ability to adapt. So far, my biggest concern with Pete K is his apparent stubbornness. We saw it against Arkansas and agains against OU. Stopping the run should be a DC’s first priority.

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Portal hard in the off-season.  Now that they (and the world) have seen what’s on the roster, players should be beating down our doors to get immediate playing time all over the defense and OL. 

I agree, but that was the point I made above on this thread last week, and had several mouth breathers neg me for it. We should have taken that approach prior to this fall.  

3 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Our defense seemed to improve a lot against the run last year, as the season went on. Ash doesn’t strike me as Kirby Smart or Barry Odom level genius, but at least he demonstrated the ability to adapt. So far, my biggest concern with Pete K is his apparent stubbornness. We saw it against Arkansas and agains against OU. Stopping the run should be a DC’s first priority.

Rather have kept Ossai and Taquon than Ash. 2 of the best defenders and nobody has come close to replacing them 

• Hook 'Em 6

28 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I agree, but that was the point I made above on this thread last week, and had several mouth breathers neg me for it. We should have taken that approach prior to this fall.  

And go after who? And how many spots did we have left once we tried to address the glaring deficiencies on defense?

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We took 4 LB/edge transfers - Thornton, Ovie, Davis, and Devin Richardson - and we are still playing Brockermeyer and Jett Bush.  Either their portal evaluations sucked or their depth chart decisions suck.   You can't take 4 transfers at a position and still play 2 walk-ons there.

the hell we can't

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We took 4 LB/edge transfers - Thornton, Ovie, Davis, and Devin Richardson - and we are still playing Brockermeyer and Jett Bush.  Either their portal evaluations sucked or their depth chart decisions suck.   You can't take 4 transfers at a position and still play 2 walk-ons there.

That’s concerning. You’d think we are better at evaluating what we’re getting from the portal. 

26 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

That’s concerning. You’d think we are better at evaluating what we’re getting from the portal. 

I dunno why the walk-ons are playing, but it isn't like the other guys are setting the world on fire when theyre out there.

I'm also wondering why Adeoye got so much run today too. These rotations are baffling.

The guys we got in the portal were avalable because none of them are complete players.  We tried, but we have to get better through recruiting.

Of course, we are tackling like last year.  Which is to say we can't tackle.

Edited by cochamps

58 minutes ago, Atticus said:

And go after who? And how many spots did we have left once we tried to address the glaring deficiencies on defense?

There were well over 150 LBs with their names in the portal in 2021 per 247. You're telling me there's absolutely no way we could have found anyone better (or better suited to our scheme) than the spare part walk-ons we just found lying around in Herman's office that we are starting now?  Bullshit.   

If you’re a badass, why would you Portal?

We got dudes from Bama, ND and Bama on defense.

I guesss the portal could save our bacon. But it’s unlikely. Didn’t OU get Gray yet Brooks did all the damage?

The bitching about Brockermeyer at least partly is bullshit. The lack of pass rush ain’t All Bush’s fault

The run D was not good, but the 3rd and long conversions were killers. Cooks good. Overshown is good but takes himself out of too many plays. We are too small in the front 7. And I think we ought to let Jamison and JThompson show what they can do manup.

• Hook 'Em 1

I understand the angst with PK. This was an awful day defensively after Rattler left the game. I still think we have severe talent deficiency more than a coaching problem. 47 at linebacker tries his ass off, but he is so overmatched. We also have absolute shit for pass rush and a secondary that doesn’t seem to be able to track the ball at all. I’m honestly not sure what else PK is supposed to do other than bring more heat in the 2nd half.

There are massive talent holes at every level on defense. That’s not surprising about the LBs, but damn I thought the DTs would at least be able to disrupt some shit this season. 

1 minute ago, LurkingHorn said:

I understand the angst with PK. This was an awful day defensively after Rattler left the game. I still think we have severe talent deficiency more than a coaching problem. 47 at linebacker tries his ass off, but he is so overmatched. We also have absolute shit for pass rush and a secondary that doesn’t seem to be able to track the ball at all. I’m honestly not sure what else PK is supposed to do other than bring more heat in the 2nd half.

There are massive talent holes at every level on defense. That’s not surprising about the LBs, but damn I thought the DTs would at least be able to disrupt some shit this season. 

Massive talent holes and that’s just the starters. Which is really where we start getting even more fucked when we have to use depth. We literally cannot keep up and it showed especially against Arkansas and ou.

im with you on not know what PK can do. We brought pressure in the 2nd half and it was all too easily picked up. Our guys struggle mightily getting off blocks, and getting to the qb. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

This is a cowardly statement.

Yeah.  I take back the first part of my statement.  Overreaction.  I do stand by the 2nd part.  I truly do not understand how either of these two get play.  For example, Bush.  I do not understand how a DE can't occasionally just accidentally make a play.  One play.  He never draws a double team.  He never gets around the outside.  He doesn't play the run well.  I just don't get it.

7 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

I’m of the old school mindset that you don’t let the other team run on you. This is beyond demoralizing. PL has what he has to work with and he should be very in tune with reality by this point. I’d rather sell out to stop the run and get lit up in through the air. Maybe we get a sack or catch a pick. You let the establish the run and now you’re demoralized, giving up more yards a missing more tackles as you wear out. It’s embarrassing and deflating. This might be a dinosaur mindset, but I don’t give a fuck. I’d rather lose big while being physical rather than lose small while looking SOFT. Get off my lawn.

i am right there with you. 

you have a backup QB coming onto the losing side of the rivalry game. this script has happened like 1000 times. we let the new QB get comfy. just fucking awful. you fucking run blitz him until his asshole falls off. yes, he broke one but that was one. and with a glaring missed tackle from one of our guys. bring 6 or 7 everytime and target the run and rattle the goddamnn new QB. 

at the end of the game we had like 5 or 6 in the box. i can't fathom how anyone can think that is the way to play anywhere in the 2nd half. complete situational meltdown by the defensive staff (after what was a great plan for rattler). 

and they ran for 300+ yards. 

sometims football cane very simple. in this case the D coordinator fell in love with his original plan and success and that lost us this fucking game. 

also, the defense doesn't have any leadship on the field. there is no huff of Mgrifin. no redding or no one saying or doing shit leadership wise that i can see. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I was watching the game and thinking PK needs to adjust. He just doesn’t have the players to run his system at the moment. Quite frankly, he doesn’t have a single unit he can rely on. Stopping the run has been a major issue. I was thinking Pk needs to go a little Elko.. Run a big front 4 and at least attempt to stop the run. It’s isn’t perfect, but you can’t play defense if you can’t stop the run. I would not mind seeing 

Jones, Ojomo, Sweat, and Collins on the LOS. It’s 3 DTs and Jones, so the pass rush won’t be great, but it should at least help the run. You have to try to take something away from the offense 

for real. with an unproven 18 year old dual threat QB. we kept the same plan (it seems) as with rattler. terrible situtational awareness by the corching staff.

i worried about this shit with sark. smart scheme guys can be stubborn AF. i mean, dumb scheme guys (turtle tom) can also be suck, but in this case its right in fucking front of us and we shit the bed. inexcusable.

some honestly from Sark in his Monday presser on this defense would be refreshing to see. 

1 minute ago, staboner said:

for real. with an unproven 18 year old dual threat QB. we kept the same plan (it seems) as with rattler. terrible situtational awareness by the corching staff.

i worried about this shit with sark. smart scheme guys can be stubborn AF. i mean, dumb scheme guys (turtle tom) can also be suck, but in this case its right in fucking front of us and we shit the bed. inexcusable.

some honestly from Sark in his Monday presser on this defense would be refreshing to see. 

It would be nice but it's a weekly press conference in front of the Austin media. He won't do it because he just wants to get out of there and the reporters who are there never ask decent questions. I mean just last week he said a guy is out injured and there was zero follow-up question on his replacement, if they were going to shuffle the OL, or anything like that. IIRC the next question after he said that was Bohls with the journalistic masterpiece "Coach Sark, what do you think about big games?"

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

It would be nice but it's a weekly press conference in front of the Austin media. He won't do it because he just wants to get out of there and the reporters who are there never ask decent questions. I mean just last week he said a guy is out injured and there was zero follow-up question on his replacement, if they were going to shuffle the OL, or anything like that. IIRC the next question after he said that was Bohls with the journalistic masterpiece "Coach Sark, what do you think about big games?"

Whomever job it is to hand out credentials and invite to these press conferences should be fired. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The PK hire is all on Sark with his "his scheme did a great job against me a Bama" reasoning.  that was one game.  

I hope Sark understands what good D looks like from his time in the NFL and Bama and what we have seen from PK ain't it.

Edit Boise State and Washington isn't really great resume for a DC

Edited by dcar00

Just finished updating adjusted stats for this week's games. Our defense currently ranks:

#98 - adjusted yards per play
#109 - adjusted total rushing yards allowed per play
#73 - adjusted total passing yards allowed per play

As mentioned earlier, our defensive talent isn't elite. It is isn't great, and it isn't better than the top teams. But it's better than that.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This coaching position seems cursed.  You couldn't have asked for a better resume on someone who's done it this long in PK and now this?  I'm convinced Sark could have brought in any of the other names mentioned for DC ( Barry Odom, Arnett, Golding, Muschamp, Dan Lanning, ect. ) and nothing would change.

How about the coach Sark tried to hire?  Mike Stoops before fan interference.  Just funning don't take it personal.  We couldn't fire Moops quickly enough.

12 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This coaching position seems cursed.  You couldn't have asked for a better resume on someone who's done it this long in PK and now this?  I'm convinced Sark could have brought in any of the other names mentioned for DC ( Barry Odom, Arnett, Golding, Muschamp, Dan Lanning, ect. ) and nothing would change.

That is where I am coming from on this too. Without the benefit of hindsight PK was objectively a monster get. I loved the pick up of Jeff Choate from Montana on similar levels. The hires I took an issue with were Milwee on offense (but w/e I'll let a offensive guy have his pet QB coach) and then Terry Joseph and Blake Gideon on the defensive side. Our DB coaching is straight trash. Watch how well from a technical perspective Iowa and Penn State's DBs played in terms of getting their heads turns and actually making plays on balls in the air. How often do you see our DBs get real PBUs on decently well thrown balls? Almost never. They need to be replaced. For LBs I am willing to give a mulligan given Overshown's incredible growth and the fact that after that talent leaves plenty to be desires (god what I would do for DGF to have never suffered that injury. DL I am willing to give an extra year because Bo Davis has been recruiting at a tremendous clip and I think the scheme hurts his particular unit. Should PK change his scheme to reflect the fact that our talent at positions he wants is garbage? Yeah, but I think firing him would be a overly reactionary choice that ends poorly for us. I still strongly believe, even after today, that TJ and BG are the only two coaches that deserve to be fired.

14 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

How often do you see our DBs get real PBUs on decently well thrown balls? Almost never.

This is one of the things that has driven me nuts this season, the ball sails directly over their heads, sometimes while they watch, with no effort to deflect the path of the ball. The particular cases I'm referring to, they're beat, so they have not chance of breaking up the reception once the ball is in the receiver's hands, so making a play on the ball is their only hope and they don't even act like it's an option.

2 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

The problem seems to be that he wants to play TE and would probably hit the portal with a position change.

He's a monster talent, no doubt. I'm confident he could eventually be a great TE/HB. But on a D with so little edge talent, every day Sanders spends practicing or playing elsewhere would seem a waste. If he's a year away from contributing on offense, roll him out there for a few snaps at DE and tell him to find the QB. With Jones hurt, there's little to lose. Maybe the kid would make a play and decide D isn't such a step down after all. 

I don’t understand this defense, what they’re trying to do, or what they can do. But we were demolished at the point of attack and it starts there. Seems antithetical to PK’s philosophy to commit numbers to the run game which seeks a stalemate in the run game and muddy up the pass game.

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Just finished updating adjusted stats for this week's games. Our defense currently ranks:

#98 - adjusted yards per play
#109 - adjusted total rushing yards allowed per play
#73 - adjusted total passing yards allowed per play

As mentioned earlier, our defensive talent isn't elite. It is isn't great, and it isn't better than the top teams. But it's better than that.

I would imagine at least the first two rankings and per play numbers are worse than last year’s rankings and numbers with Chris Ash.  I’m interested to see what has happened to Washington’s.  

• blacklab changed the title to Hey PK -- Keep the Sacks and Turnovers Comin' !!!
  • immamac changed the title to Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?